Bangkok Second Cheapest City In The World - Oslo Most Expensive

webfact

Oslo the Worlds Most Expensive – Bangkok Second Cheapest

Oslo has topped a list of the world's most expensive cities compiled by price comparison site PriceRunner. All Scandinavian capitals are in the top seven, while Bangkok is the second most affordable city in the world.

Norwegian capital was the most expensive city of the 32 surveyed in PriceRunner's International Price Comparison survey, topping the list for the fourth year running.

The survey found that prices in Oslo were a third more expensive than the global average.

Stockholm, Helsinki and Copenhagen took places 4, 6 and 7, respectively.

Meanwhile, Bangkok came in at number 31 only “out cheapened” by Mumbai, where prices were 27 percent lower than the global average.

The survey looked at a range of products that included everyday items such as milk and petrol as well as luxury items and technology.

Ranking - City - Percentage above or below average

1 Oslo 35.3%

2 Sao Paulo 27.1%

3 Sydney 20.5%

4 Stockholm 15.5%

5 Reykjavik 14.9%

6 Helsinki 11.5%

7 Copenhagen 10.6%

8 Tokyo 9.8%

9 Paris 8.3%

10 Rome 4.4%

11 Dublin 2.0%

12 Cape Town 1.6%

13 Amsterdam 0.5%

14 Brussels -0.1%

15 Vienna -0.2%

16 Athens -0.4%

17 London -0.9%

18 Madrid -1.2%

19 Lisbon -1.2%

20 Buenos Aires -3.0%

21 Moscow -4.8%

22 Budapest -6.1%

23 Berlin -6.7%

24 Warsaw -7.8%

25 Prague -8.1%

26 Vilnius -13.3%

27 New York -14.5%

28 Shanghai -14.8%

29 San Francisco -16.2%

30 Dubai -16.2%

31 Bangkok -19.8%

32 Mumbai -26.9%

source: http://www.scandasia.com/viewNews.php?news_id=7940&coun_code=dk

SCANDASIA.COM

-- 2010-12-12

footer_n.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 San Francisco -16.2%

30 Dubai -16.2%

31 Bangkok -19.8%

Uhhh, average home price in San Fransisco is still over $800,000.

That's 24 million Baht. And Dubai separates the two -ranking just above Bangers?

1 Oslo 35.3%

2 Sao Paulo 27.1%

Whereas Sao Paulo looks to have nice houses with 3+ bathrooms for $150,000 USD.

I wonder if the recent deal between Rembrandt Hotel and ScandAsia.com has anything to do with this thing.

meh

Edited by ding

I don't think this is very well-sourced information. No way London, San Francisco, New York, Berlin, etc can be in any way considered cheap places to live. Bangkok isn't cheap, but it's much cheaper than my last US city, Atlanta, and Atlanta doesn't hold a candle to SF or NYC when it comes to cost of living.

Where is Singapore? And Seoul? And Los Angeles? And Melbourne? And........

And it might be cheap to buy milk and bread in Mumbai but it has some of the priciest commercial real estate in the world

A load of <deleted>, I wonder what the objective of the survey was.....

Ban Nawai is even cheaper.

Not sure it qualifies as a city with 700 inhabitants. thinking.gif

This is one of the most crappiest surveys I,ve ever come accross, who has been renting, buying and shopping to get these figures, give me a round the world ticket --I,ll give you some near accurate stats.---another joke this is.

It would be interesting to know how they chose their 32 cities.

Bangkok is the worlds best city for 2010 from a previous thread and Thailand is the worlds N#1 tourist destination. It amazing that they only come in at N#2 for the cheapest. There are so many other cities missing from this so I didn't think it would hurt to remove just one more. Now they are N#1 The tuk tuk drivers, scammers, National Parks and everyone could increase thier prices by 80% and they would still be in the top 10..

Ranking - City - Percentage above or below average

1 Oslo 35.3%

2 Sao Paulo 27.1%

3 Sydney 20.5%

4 Stockholm 15.5%

5 Reykjavik 14.9%

6 Helsinki 11.5%

7 Copenhagen 10.6%

8 Tokyo 9.8%

9 Paris 8.3%

10 Rome 4.4%

11 Dublin 2.0%

12 Cape Town 1.6%

13 Amsterdam 0.5%

14 Brussels -0.1%

15 Vienna -0.2%

16 Athens -0.4%

17 London -0.9%

18 Madrid -1.2%

19 Lisbon -1.2%

20 Buenos Aires -3.0%

21 Moscow -4.8%

22 Budapest -6.1%

23 Berlin -6.7%

24 Warsaw -7.8%

25 Prague -8.1%

26 Vilnius -13.3%

27 New York -14.5%

28 Shanghai -14.8%

29 San Francisco -16.2%

30 Dubai -16.2%

31 Bangkok -19.8%

Just kidding people not having a go at Thailand :D

I don't think this is very well-sourced information. No way London, San Francisco, New York, Berlin, etc can be in any way considered cheap places to live. Bangkok isn't cheap, but it's much cheaper than my last US city, Atlanta, and Atlanta doesn't hold a candle to SF or NYC when it comes to cost of living.

Hi,

Could you elaborate as to what is so expensive here.... I find Bangkok very affordable to live!

:jap:

Well from my perspective I can keep my two maids, the mortgage, the cars, my kids and wife and the office and all the overheads to run them all and still be at USD500 a week. Can't do that in any US, European or Australian city. I doubt you could do that in Mumbai either. Bangers has a thumbs up in my eyes.

If the ranking was just based on where the individual cities ranked above and below the "average of the 32 cities in the survey," which is what the article implies to me, I can see how Bangkok would rank near the bottom cost-wise. But this doesn't mean Bangkok is cheap...just means it's cheaper than most other cities in the survey. It appears the survey concentrated on European cities while throwing in just a few other cities from other parts of the world.

Heck, if the survey had picked 32 cheap cities and used the same averaging approach, Bangkok might end up as the most expensive on such a survey.

Londons only Real rip offs nowaday are mainly centered on Transport and Elect-Gas supply costs...Trains,Buses,petrol, etc..and I recon most staples ...food,White goods Flat screen tellys and of course booze even in pubs is now CHEAPER than Bangers...Local £2.10 a pint..with special nights at £1-30.....and we also have the 99p shops everywhere. :lol:

...also last and not least with a bit of jumping about R/T flights with some budgie companies are and can be had from..@ £350 quid...incl Tax... :D

Bangkok one of the cheapest cities to live in the world?

My guess is that this is accurate if you rent a very basic room with bath by the month and eat in noodle stalls and such. You can live very cheaply in Bangkok, but it is not much fun.

Edited by Ulysses G.

this list is the biggest crock of <deleted> I have ever read....How do these people get it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wrong, I mean seriously this list isnt even remotely close to FACT...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Price Runner is owned by the bane of the internet Value Click. There is a CONFLICT OF INTEREST because Price Runner is financed by its advertisers.

It's just part of the Value Click Media business model. This survey means nothing. It's tainted, biased, garbage,

Surveys like this must be done by disinterested 3rd parties to be credible.mad.gif

I am not arguing the validity of the information either way, but a close friend recently had to do some extensive traveling for work. He is on a pretty tight budget, but wanted to spend a couple of days in New York City. As he quoted the prices for his hotel and tours etc. in Thai Baht, it seemed really cheap! I was surprised and he spent several days instead of a couple of days.

(And yes, I am aware that this is more a reflection of the Thai Baht rather than the cost of living).

Oslo the Worlds Most Expensive (to buy electronics and so on) – Bangkok Second Cheapest (to buy electronics and so on)

Oslo has topped a list of the world's most expensive cities compiled by price comparison site PriceRunner.

Pricerunner is a website to compare prices of home appliances. Has nothing to do with the price of housing, a bowl of rice or anything else...

I feel that the following ranking is more accurate:

http://www.finfacts....ostofliving.htm

lol these ones are still quite interesting.

Bangkok is rated as having a more expensive cost of living than Auckland. I don't live in Bangkok, but I would find it reasonably difficult to believe that the cost of living is higher (Although I guess if they were surveying the cost of milk, bread & beef, instead of rice, pork and chicken, then NZ would come in really cheap lol)

this list is the biggest crock of <deleted> I have ever read....How do these people get it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wrong, I mean seriously this list isnt even remotely close to FACT...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Price Runner is owned by the bane of the internet Value Click. There is a CONFLICT OF INTEREST because Price Runner is financed by its advertisers.

It's just part of the Value Click Media business model. This survey means nothing. It's tainted, biased, garbage,

Surveys like this must be done by disinterested 3rd parties to be credible.mad.gif

Valueclick is a permanent residents in my Hosts file, as is googleads and others, if everyone did this they would fold.

Most big cities are cheap if you are streetwise and know where to shop and what to buy. It also depends upon your lifestyle standards and if you can tolerate the local food.