Banded Krait

bigbeetle

Hello,

Yesterday evening I saw a big banded krait in my garden, I read that they are very shy and don't bite so easy but they are also deadly, Local people say let it stay there, it brings luck, but I am not so shure about that, especially when my brother with his 2 kids come in Januari running around in the garden.

I think he lives in a hole under some dead wood, that was the place I saw him for the last time.

So what to do, I don't want to kill it but it also makes me a bit nervous..

Thanks.

Tell some Thai guy he will take it to a nice place where lots of other snakes are and it can play all day with lots of friends. This place is called snake heaven. But first the guy will bring him to his place for dinner. :D

Edited by canuckamuck

As much as I like snakes I wouldn't want a krait of cobra living in my garden where children might be running around. You can make a snake catcher with a long plastic tube with a loop of cord running through it. Slip the loop over it's neck fairly close to the head so it doesn't have room to strike. Then put it in a sack to be released into the country. If you are uncomfortable doing it on your own then get a snake catcher to do it for you.

There are a variety of different kraits beside the obvious banded species. Most venomous snakes in Thailand are not aggressive towards humans if given space. Enter their space only at your peril, or with experience in dealing with snakes They are very quick in grass, but much less so on smooth pavement.

As much as I like snakes I wouldn't want a krait of cobra living in my garden where children might be running around. You can make a snake catcher with a long plastic tube with a loop of cord running through it. Slip the loop over it's neck fairly close to the head so it doesn't have room to strike. Then put it in a sack to be released into the country. If you are uncomfortable doing it on your own then get a snake catcher to do it for you.

There are a variety of different kraits beside the obvious banded species. Most venomous snakes in Thailand are not aggressive towards humans if given space. Enter their space only at your peril, or with experience in dealing with snakes They are very quick in grass, but much less so on smooth pavement.

I agree, and it may be "good luck" (if it is confirmed to be a Krait) to leave it in your yard as the OP said but, personally, I don't believe it would be good luck to see someone die from a bite. I found a number you could call if you decide to have it removed. http://www.thailandsnakes.com/tag/samui-snake-removal/

Last week we had a 4ft cobra in the garden - at least the wife said it was a cobra and the neighbours said "take care, it can kill people". I didn't see it as I was out and it didn't last long as our dog got hold of it and dispatched it rather quickly. Mrs Pikey took these pics and the frog in the pic was actually inside the snake!

PC060064Large.jpg

PC060061Large.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey