Thaksin Rallies Pheu Thai MPs Via Phone In

webfact

BY-ELECTION

Thaksin rallies Pheu Thai MPs via phone in

By The Nation

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday called during the Pheu Thai party meeting to boost the moral of the MPs after Sunday's disappointing by-election outcome, party officials said.

Thaksin told the MPs that he was confident Pheu Thai would win more than half the House seats at the next general election. He said he anticipated a snap election to take place early next year and challenged the coalition government to not be a sore loser.

He also urged his supporters to focus on mapping out a campaign strategy instead of blaming each other for the disappointing outcome. Thaksin said he was proud of every vote that was cast for Pheu Thai, because the opposition party did not rely on vote buying. He attributed the ruling coalition's victory to money politics.

Thaksin also congratulated Pheu Thai for its victory in Khon Kaen, saying he expected the by-election to serve as a lesson in the next poll. He also told the MPs to keep in touch with their constituents.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-15

Thaksin also congratulated Pheu Thai for its victory in Khon Kaen, saying he expected the by-election to serve as a lesson in the next poll. He also told the MPs to keep in touch with their constituents.

Yes, the Pheu Thai victor in Khon Kaen will need to cruise up to Khon Kaen once in awhile...

Additionally, I'm sure he learned a "lesson" or two from his disqualified Dad...

It's a shame that 27 year-old Preechaphol Pongpanit from the Pheu Thai Party was disqualified as MP for Khon Kaen. I understand he was making real in-roads on understanding the poor in his rural Northeastern constituency whilst indulging his favorite activity, cruising around Bangkok in his new Mercedes coupe.

whoweeklymagazinecom200.jpgpp3d.jpgpp1lj.jpg

Still, he's no newcomer to adversity as, after all, he took over his position after his father, Sermsak (a Cabinet Minister in Thaksin's regime) was banned from politics for participating in electoral fraud.

Now THAT is a funny post. Thanks Buchholz!

You're welcome and now with his election victory yesterday, Preechaphol can return to Bangkok and cruise in his Mercedes coupe while contemplating the needs of his poor rural constituents in Khon Kaen.

Additionally, the Pongpanit family can maintain their dynasty after both father and son have been disqualified.

Trying to return his ducks to line. But of course he accuses the Dems of vote buying,

and ignores that his sides money politics turned out not strong enough too do the job.

So a pep talk, in the hopes that he can stop the exodus of disgruntled fence sitters in PTP,

who are privately aghast at last April's fun and games and the continued backing of

Red shirt candidates that are dragging the PTP lower and lower into the mire, but are

not sure they can find a viable home elsewhere yet.

So he holds up the Thaksin Carrot of funding in the coming big match up,

while pretending that isn't what he is doing.

Edited by animatic

There's no room for faith, truth, nor honesty in this bosom of thine.

It is all filled up with guts and midriff. Thou pribbling fen-sucked popinjay!

Confusion now hath made his masterpiece!

Ah, let the good times roll!

Edited by animatic

......Thaksin said he was proud of every vote that was cast for Pheu Thai, because the opposition party did not rely on vote buying.......

What an absolute w*nker! :jerk:

Isn't that what hanuman1 said..?

Re-read my post. It shouldn't take you too long. It said:

This man is clearly an unwholesome rude-growing clotpole. A dastardlier dastard I never did see.

If this means 'did not rely on vote buying' to you, then I fear you may be a withered dizzy-eyed nut-hook. And no, that doesn't mean I support terrorism.

But really, regardless of what Thida (Weng's wife and the non-elected head of the pro-democracy UDD/DAAD) has said, it IS still all about Thaksin :)

"I don't care anything about Thaksin," she said

"Maybe the grassroots think differently from me," the 66-year-old told AFP.

Why do Pheu Thai get any votes at all?

Do people actually think that Pheu Thai can do a much better job of running the country than the current government?

Or is it that many people blindly vote for the same party as they and their family and relatives have always voted in the past?

It's not totally a matter of parties, although in the south it's definitely true that people vote Dems because they have in the past (I mean there's not really any competition there for the most part, either). Often the MP's success will be down to who he is, whether he's local, what he's done for the community before etc. Then when he's in power, how well can he disperse resources & provide patronage?* People love them because the MP takes credit for doing things for them, not necessarily the central government. In the recent election, some people that sympathize with the red shirts nationally might still have voted BJT in the by-election, as BJT are part of the coalition they can better provide resources, so they might rather see it like that. For instance, one Thai political analyst who's very good on upcountry politics commented that people in Surin Const. don't like Newin but chose Supharak because he's from Amphoe Prasat and the coalition. So there's still a separation between local and national politics, though I think it's becoming increasingly more about national politics and ideology.

*I was struck by this part of The Nation's interview with Korn's wife:

'Along with a small team, she headed up to Si Sa Ket to donate supplies to those affected by the flooding while other Democrats went to Ubon Ratchathani. Korn was busy in Bangkok, calculating the financial assistance and compensation packages for the victims, but arranged help on the ground through a Pheu Thai MP.

"I can see why the local people really love the MP, he did everything he could to help. His men used backhoes to rehabilitate the flooded farms. That taught me never to generalise about MPs in the Northeast. They don't all get their posts because they buy votes," she says.' http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Woman-of-substance-30144219.html

Do people actually think that Pheu Thai can do a much better job of running the country than the current government?

Or is it that many people blindly vote for the same party as they and their family and relatives have always voted in the past?

It's not totally a matter of parties, although in the south it's definitely true that people vote Dems because they have in the past (I mean there's not really any competition there for the most part, either). Often the MP's success will be down to who he is, whether he's local, what he's done for the community before etc. Then when he's in power, how well can he disperse resources & provide patronage?* People love them because the MP takes credit for doing things for them, not necessarily the central government. In the recent election, some people that sympathize with the red shirts nationally might still have voted BJT in the by-election, as BJT are part of the coalition they can better provide resources, so they might rather see it like that. For instance, one Thai political analyst who's very good on upcountry politics commented that people in Surin Const. don't like Newin but chose Supharak because he's from Amphoe Prasat and the coalition. So there's still a separation between local and national politics, though I think it's becoming increasingly more about national politics and ideology.

*I was struck by this part of The Nation's interview with Korn's wife:

'Along with a small team, she headed up to Si Sa Ket to donate supplies to those affected by the flooding while other Democrats went to Ubon Ratchathani. Korn was busy in Bangkok, calculating the financial assistance and compensation packages for the victims, but arranged help on the ground through a Pheu Thai MP.

"I can see why the local people really love the MP, he did everything he could to help. His men used backhoes to rehabilitate the flooded farms. That taught me never to generalise about MPs in the Northeast. They don't all get their posts because they buy votes," she says.' http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Woman-of-substance-30144219.html

Although starting on the wrong foot this post is nice with a positive ending.

The first part is a bit leading "It's not totally a matter of parties, although in the south it's definitely true that people vote Dems because they have in the past (I mean there's not really any competition there for the most part, either)". Change 'south' into 'Isan' and 'Dem's' into 'PTP' and it's equally correct.

It's not totally a matter of parties, although in the south it's definitely true that people vote Dems because they have in the past (I mean there's not really any competition there for the most part, either). Often the MP's success will be down to who he is, whether he's local, what he's done for the community before etc.

Although starting on the wrong foot this post is nice with a positive ending.

The first part is a bit leading "It's not totally a matter of parties, although in the south it's definitely true that people vote Dems because they have in the past (I mean there's not really any competition there for the most part, either)". Change 'south' into 'Isan' and 'Dem's' into 'PTP' and it's equally correct.

Hmm, yes, in some parts of Isan, but of course PT/PPP/TRT hasn't been around anywhere near as long as the Democrats. It wasn't meant as an insult towards the Democrats or their voters. Anyway, I don't know much about the South myself, only passed through once to be honest. I based my assumptions on an interesting piece in New Mandala and from talking to people from there. It's a good piece, worth reading, hope it's OK to link here:

'I found the reactions I got when asking why Southern people support the Democrat Party to be quite intriguing. Most interviewees could not provide a clear answer to this question right away. Their initial reaction was that they, like me, are also puzzled. It is worth noting that none of the people I interviewed declared themselves as a Democrat supporter. They tried to keep some distance from the party when providing answers. They said they also felt the Democrats have not done much at all to the Southern region. One of my informants, a farmer, said; “look at what politicians like Banharn (Silpa-archa) did to his province, we (the Southern people) have no one like that here. We have voted for the Democrats for a long time but they have completed very little improvement for us”. Another informant argued that Democrats MPs in Songkhla are rarely accessible to local people. He said; “we elected them, and they are gone from us”.'

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2010/06/02/report-from-the-south-from-the-day-of-prong-dong-harmony-to-the-day-of-prab-pram-suppression/

There were a succession of parties before ptp/ppp/trt --- But mostly it is the local political machines that run things in most areas of Thailand.

The suggestion that there are no options but the Dems in the South is pretty misleading. That the Dems ARE strong in the south is accurate, but not everywhere and some of the local political machines keep their own parties to try and get ore milage from being in a coalition government.

The other paper reporting about Thaksin rallying his troops has him quoting a figure of PTP having more than 230 MP's getting elected in the next election. :blink:

Regarding the recent by-election in which only one PTP MP was elected and four others lost, he said "We're defeated today in order to win in the general election." :huh:

Does any one know if there a lot of magic mushrooms growing in Montenegro?