Social Media Users Angry Over Thai Legislators' Wage Hike

webfact

FACEBOOK

Social media users angry over legislators' wage hike

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_7391.jpg

Social media websites have been buzzing with comments about lawmakers getting a pay rise next year, which was approved by the Cabinet on Tuesday. Many comments on the websites say legislators' performance do not warrant a salary increase and instead the funds should be on the underprivileged, low-ranking government officials and soldiers working in the restive South of Thailand.

The Facebook page "We believe that at least one million Thais are against the pay hike", which was launched early yesterday, earned responses from 784 users so far. Here's what some of them had to say:

Ja-ae Er Pom Eng Eek Tee

The Parliament meetings lack a quorum, commodities are expensive, flooding has just passed and drought is coming. How dare you ask for a salary hike? You get paid hundreds of thousands, but I'm not impressed with your work. Do normal people do what you are doing?

Methuz Kaewsai-kao

In normal companies, when an official skips meetings and is often absent, he usually gets sacked. But here, they get a pay rise. What a profession!

Kraisorn Kleawpatinon

Their salaries should be reduced, and instead paid as meeting allowance. The transport allowance should only be granted for meeting days. An MP is expected to do legislative work, not go to funerals or ordination ceremonies to draw votes.

Kungly Orachon

Have you ever thought what the people who pay you have got in return? Problems are everywhere. If the media does not cover severe problems, they are ignored. Representatives only come to aid when it is reported in the media. What do you do otherwise?

Chatsanova Chompu

Can't you make ends meet with six-digit salaries? Government officials with a bachelor's degree only earn Bt9,530, and they may not be able to make it with this sum, anyway. MPs are also government officials, except they have the word "politics" attached to them. Degrees don't matter. Some lower government officials are better educated than you. Stop hurting people, please.

Piero D Roger Rak Nailuang

I'm okay with the pay hike, but you should also pass the law of giving death penalty to cheating politicians with no appeal. (Attention PM_Abhisit.)

Nararat Disyabut

Do a good job before you ask for pay hike. Necessities are not an excuse. If you say - "I have to pay for my house, my car and my kids' tuition fees, boss please increase my salary" - no boss will say yes unless your work is worth it. You plan to use the taxes I pay to buy advance votes, don't you? The excuses are unacceptable. Let voters consider your competency first, or are you not competent?

Chanatip Phrukpramoon

What are the politicians' Key Performance Indicators?

Jaree Bushyakara

It takes ages and many negotiations to agree on a hike in minimum wages, yet agreeing on pay rise for these "honourable" representatives takes very little time. If they work the way we have witnessed in Parliament recently, we'd better keep the money for something useful.

Torsin Tuncharoen

They deserve no salary increase for at least ten years because they don't behave like representatives. They have been very rude lately.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-16