Paradise Lost

Sadiegirl1975

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A box of imported beer in Aussie on special 1500 baht if not over 2000 baht

Well then only us UK and some Euros can say we pay more for beer here..

Following your posts you drive a second hand Audi from memory

I like german cars.. Its only a VW..

Following your posts there is nothing special about your motorbike

Nothing special about it ?? Depends which one of the 4 ?? ones a 900cc Fireblade and agree that old 4 cyl sportbikes that in the west would be worth very little.. Here they are like hens teeth. But I guess thats my point all over, something that would be 50k baht is 200k plus.

The majority of Aussie wines sold here are between 180 and 300 baht baht a bottle in Aussie

They are not good Aussie wine, since i am not a wine drinker it does not worry me.

Clearly if you think Thai wines are superior.

I do not buy items because of there brand name, that means nothing, quite often

different brand names are made in the same factory they are the same but the retail

price varies according to the brand name

If we mean electronics its features.. As I say price up a 50 plus inch 3D LED TV here and then in the UK.. 2x 3x 4x ?? But high end features often come from high end brands.

If you want to buy a second hand MB, BMW,AUDI in Aussie after about 6 years they

are as cheap as chips because no one wants them.

Exactly my point.

Personally i enjoy my lifestyle, I have what i want when i want and i am not interested in impressing anyone else,

Unlike some people.

Why is nice things for others ?? Its about enjoying them for yourself..

It just strikes me as comical tho, how many people downgrade so much and them maintain how its cheaper. If you downgrade, of course it should be !!

Nice one Peter, I think you have just made LivinLOSs's point.

And what point is that.

In more than one sentence

Well in the way you need to state that non brand name goods, and cheaper wine but you dont care about it, or the 6 year old cars that 'no one wants' and anything of high value you dont want. The whole "I am happy to downgrade to lesser goods" part.

Its about comparing like for like, not the minimum possible to get by. Its precisely what I am trying to say.

Some things are cheaper, many things are not. If you want a car with some decent horsepower, or a car that isn't manufactured in Thailand, prepare to pay way more than you would in most first world countries. If you want some decent electronics, bend over. Do you feel like having some decent wine, feel free to pony up a lot of extra cash....... The list goes on and on so maybe some small things are cheaper, but if you want anything nice, get ready to pay more for it. Even a small thing like a small Heineken from the local 7 /11 cost more than most countries.

Just back from christmas shopping with guests expected tomorrow.. 5 bottles of red 2 bottles of champagne.. Cost ?? You dont wanna know.

But hey.. I expect to have the meal out poolside..

You put it exactly tho, lots of little things are cheap (sort of) not nearly as much of a difference as it was before but its still cheaper than the west as its low costs of labor. But any 1 item of big stuff kills months or years of small stuff savings. The cost of one german car is a years living in the west, the cost of a proper sportscar ?? Multiple years !!

Ford Fiesta at 600.000 baht, one year living in the west?

I couldnt even live in the west for a Ford Focus at 800.000 baht

Both German, one of them imported, one made here :)

I have to agree with this post. Although Thailand is a developing country as you say why do we have first world prices here? Explain that one. If I have to put up with the developing country lack of infrastructure and service and cleanliness I would expect to pay a little less to live here but at the prices I pay to live here, well maybe it is just me but I just expect a little more in return.

first world prices?

annual road tax for a Vios car is 700 baht, and first class insurance is a fraction of western countries

electricity is 3,5 baht/kwh any time of the year

Big Mac is 70 baht, and can be replaced by a delicious thai meal at same price

a beer in bangla bar is 70 baht

a polo t shirt is 120 baht

going off Phuket, a nice aircon hotelroom with swimmingpool is 6-700 baht

and my maid is happy with 7.000 baht a month, actually I ll give her a raise this month :)

not the prices in the first world countrys I have lived in or visited

Crap stuff is cheap.. Good / Luxury things generally cost far more than the west.

So its how you live your life.. If you happy with low quality its cheap, if you want even middle quality its not.

crap stuff like above? on purpose I mentioned only stuff with well known quality, identical to what is provided in the west

Nice one Peter, I think you have just made LivinLOSs's point.

And what point is that.

In more than one sentence

Well in the way you need to state that non brand name goods, and cheaper wine but you dont care about it, or the 6 year old cars that 'no one wants' and anything of high value you dont want. The whole "I am happy to downgrade to lesser goods" part.

Its about comparing like for like, not the minimum possible to get by. Its precisely what I am trying to say.

Who downgrades, who wants to impress people

By the way Johny Walker is cheap here compared to Aussie, all spirits are,

and beer is much cheaper also.

What i said was a lot of brand names come out of the same factory using the same components,

and most manufactured goods come from Asia, not all, but there is a good chance the components are made in Asia

If you want to comnpare, you have to compare luxus Thai versus luxus 'back home', not 'luxus back home' to 'luxus back home but in thailand'. That is not like for like.

If you want to comnpare, you have to compare luxus Thai versus luxus 'back home', not 'luxus back home' to 'luxus back home but in thailand'. That is not like for like.

I like cars, I know cars, so lets compare cars

Toyota Fortuner 3,0D 4x4 auto loaded here is 1,4 million baht. Same car, different design, is in Europe called Land Cruiser (Prado in some markets). Whats the average price in 10 European countries? +40%?

Toyota Prius. Last gen. Fashion all over the world. In Europe average +40% over Thai price?

Ford Fiesta. The top spec Fiesta 1,6/6 speed DSG isnt available in Europe, only thailand and USA, but its average price is still higher than Thais 699.000 baht.

and bikes

Kawasaki Ninja650R at 257.000 baht in LOS, isnt that very similar to what you would pay in the UK, when spec is identical and included all taxes and insurances on the road? Considered a luxury item in both markets.

Quality is available in LOS at lower prices than in the west

What i said was a lot of brand names come out of the same factory using the same components,

and most manufactured goods come from Asia, not all, but there is a good chance the components are made in Asia

was in a night club in Phuket Town saturday. Fancy place, great live music. Bottle of Red Label was 900 baht. Where in the west, or should I say the world, do you find this?:D :D :D

Some things are cheaper, many things are not. If you want a car with some decent horsepower, or a car that isn't manufactured in Thailand, prepare to pay way more than you would in most first world countries. If you want some decent electronics, bend over. Do you feel like having some decent wine, feel free to pony up a lot of extra cash....... The list goes on and on so maybe some small things are cheaper, but if you want anything nice, get ready to pay more for it. Even a small thing like a small Heineken from the local 7 /11 cost more than most countries.

Just back from christmas shopping with guests expected tomorrow.. 5 bottles of red 2 bottles of champagne.. Cost ?? You dont wanna know.

You put it exactly tho, lots of little things are cheap (sort of) not nearly as much of a difference as it was before but its still cheaper than the west as its low costs of labor. But any 1 item of big stuff kills months or years of small stuff savings. The cost of one german car is a years living in the west, the cost of a proper sportscar ?? Multiple years !!

ha ha ha.. Proper german sportscar.. Ford fiesta !!

You really have been here too long..

Think 328 as a minimum.. but really M3 starting.. M5 if we mean business and something from Stuttgart if we are talking.. The kind of cars as a mid 20 year old I could get.

Edited by LivinLOS

Where do you think Lexus back home is manufactured

Toyota Fortuner 3,0D 4x4 auto loaded here is 1,4 million baht. Same car, different design, is in Europe called Land Cruiser (Prado in some markets). Whats the average price in 10 European countries? +40%?

What market is the Fortuna called a prado ??

Price a proper landcruiser.. and lets see the Thai price..

http://www.one2car.com/search/Search_Result.aspx?Body=D1531&Brand=B0054&Model=S0553

Those are land cruisers.. So whats the new price here ?? 200k USD ?? 250k ??

ha ha ha.. Proper sportscae.. Ford fiesta !!

Ford Fiesta is a hatch or a 4 door sedan, a German car. So is Focus, a German car. Sold in LOS less expensive than the average european price.

No sportscar at these prices though, neither here or there

Kawasaki Ninja650R at 257.000 baht in LOS, isnt that very similar to what you would pay in the UK, when spec is identical and included all taxes and insurances on the road? Considered a luxury item in both markets.

OK now name one other brand of big bikes at anything close to western pricing ?? The Er6 is a deal, but it is a very mid end / starter bike in western terms (great for Thailand that it is) and its the ONLY example.

Whats a Duci desmo here ?? 3 mil baht ?? Or the Ducati 1100 ?? Or a KTM 990 Duke ?? All at 1 mil or above..

All almost double western pricing ??

http://www.one2car.c...054&Model=S0553

Fortuners are sold in middle east and asia, Landcruiser is not officially sold here, but if you want something extreme in any market its available at a price.

Same cars, parts, engines etc, different designs to be able to sell landcruiser at a higher price in markets accepting higher prices for same products, like Europe and US

Lets look at identical products, Nissan Navara top spec in Thailand is 870.000 baht. In UK?

How much is fresh rambutan in Moscow?

Well I did say sportcar.. The focus is what you get for your missus when she learns to drive..Here its considered a prize !! LOL

I had one at 14 (the fiesta super sport LOL with twin webbers)..

OK now name one other brand of big bikes at anything close to western pricing ?? The Er6 is a deal, but it is a very mid end / starter bike in western terms (great for Thailand that it is) and its the ONLY example.

Whats a Duci desmo here ?? 3 mil baht ?? Or the Ducati 1100 ?? Or a KTM 990 Duke ?? All at 1 mil or above..

In an inmature market in a developing country, all brand names are not present at reasonable prices. Kawasaki is in Thailand. Ducati wants to be extremely priced here.

http://www.one2car.c...054&Model=S0553

Fortuners are sold in middle east and asia, Landcruiser is not officially sold here, but if you want something extreme in any market its available at a price.

Same cars, parts, engines etc, different designs to be able to sell landcruiser at a higher price in markets accepting higher prices for same products, like Europe and US

Lets look at identical products, Nissan Navara top spec in Thailand is 870.000 baht. In UK?

How much is fresh rambutan in Moscow?

What market is the fortuna called a prado ??

I have no idea what a navara would cost.. I dont want a farm tool. Plus your only looking at new cost it suits..

As I said a 540 just got sold that my brother was interested in buying, 1200 quid, leather airco, etc.. 300 bp 4.4 liter Beemer.. So from 55k baht to what 1.5 mil here ?? 2 mil ?? A factor of 30x as much ??

Here's some pics you may enjoy:

http://www.nakhonsri...om/History.html

:thumbsup:.thanks....good memories of those days and Patong was still a virgin beach :rolleyes:

EDIT:

you might want to enjoy this link also...many stories about the "old" Patong days and it's first Farang....

http://www.thai-blogs.com/category/patong-beach/

*** คริสมาสต์มีความสุข * Merry Christmas * Bon Natal *גליקלעך ניטל * Bon Nadal * Frohe Weihnachten * Joyeux Noël * God jul * חג מולד שמח * Zalig Kerstmis * Buon Natale * 圣诞快乐 * Navidad Feliz * счастливое рождество * Natal Feliz * ハッピークリスマス * Nollaig Shona * Selamat Natal * Glædelig Jul * Hyvää Joulua * Καλά Χριστούγεννα * 메리 크리스마스 * Wesołych Świąt *** :wai:

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Well I did say sportcar.. The focus is what you get for your missus when she learns to drive..Here its considered a prize !! LOL

If you go back to post #145 you can read what you said. German cars are available in LOS from 600.000 baht, and at 699.000 baht its cheaper here than average european price with much higher spec here. Its called Ford Fiesta and comes with 1,6 125hp and 6 speed DSG here, not to mention voice controlled climate and sound system

was in a night club in Phuket Town saturday. Fancy place, great live music. Bottle of Red Label was 900 baht. Where in the west, or should I say the world, do you find this?:D :D :D

You have just made yours and my own point mate.

You would be extremely lucky to buy a bottle of red label in a liquor store in Aussie for 900 baht

In a night club at least 4 times the price

ha ha ha.. Proper german sportscar.. Ford fiesta !!

Think 328 as a minimum.. but really M3 starting.. M5 if we mean business and something from Stuttgart if we are talking.. The kind of cars as a mid 20 year old I could get.

One thing i do know, Kbb has assets and money and he does not need to talk about it all the time

Not like some other people on this forum.

In an inmature market in a developing country, all brand names are not present at reasonable prices. Kawasaki is in Thailand. Ducati wants to be extremely priced here.

OK and again on branding.. Where do they sell a fortuna and call it a land cruiser Pardo ??

Its funny you started that post with the line "I know cars" and then continued to say something thats totally false.. :whistling:

And the way you justify Duci wants to be high priced I guess means as I said.. Except for that one middle end kwaker theres no other one close to western pricing. Triumph, Harley, Ducati, KTM, Suzuki, Etc.

If you go back to post #145 you can read what you said. German cars are available in LOS from 600.000 baht, and at 699.000 baht its cheaper here than average european price with much higher spec here. Its called Ford Fiesta and comes with 1,6 125hp and 6 speed DSG here, not to mention voice controlled climate and sound system

Ford and german isnt the immediate assumption most would make.. But defining by group company ownership might get close.

The fact remains tho.. I am still looking for a suggestion on rear wheel drive, 200 bhp kinda motor.. Not a lot to ask surely ??

OK and again on branding.. Where do they sell a fortuna and call it a land cruiser Pardo ??

Its funny you started that post with the line "I know cars" and then continued to say something thats totally false.. :whistling:

And the way you justify Duci wants to be high priced I guess means as I said.. Except for that one middle end kwaker theres no other one close to western pricing. Triumph, Harley, Ducati, KTM, Suzuki, Etc.

Landcruiser and Prada are two completely different models in Aust although they may have the same or different engines.

I have learnt things from KBB, not from other posters on this forum as far as vehicles are concerned.

Have a great Xmas everyone, you can pick on me next time i am on the forum

Its better you quote me as your memory is failing you, I said its basicly the same vehicle. Different design for different markets, but take a Fortuner 3,0 TRD or 4,0 and compare all parts with Ladprao, you find 80% same parts, like engine, suspension, brakes, driveline etc. Its od how Toyota Thailand has maunfactored these parts for 4 million vehicles, but only 3 million are Thai made and the rest ends up in...................... could it be Prado?

Normal for most car makers. VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi, except they are brave enough to sell them all in the same market

What happend with the rest of our discussion? Too hooked up on Prados?

I still claim its far less expensive to live a middle class life here driving a Vios and Fortuner and Ninja650R, having a maid and enjoing excellent food and a couple of nights out every week, than in any western country :) and the sun is shining and the beaches still wonderful :)

Merry Christmas to you all :jap:

Landcruiser and Prada are two completely different models in Aust although they may have the same or different engines.

I have learnt things from KBB, not from other posters on this forum as far as vehicles are concerned.

Have a great Xmas everyone, you can pick on me next time i am on the forum

Erm no.. The Prado IS a landcruiser.. Various models of the Land cruiser line are designated Prado in some markets. In europe they are just called the 70 90 and 120 Landcruisers. So now youve learnt something from another poster :)

But neither of those also a fortuna ?? and the fortuna is not sold as a land cruiser anywhere to my knowledge, which is what KBB said.

Thats merely my point.

And to repeat my earlier..

Have a good one guys :)

Edited by LivinLOS

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN BUYING NOTHING HERE.. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE GENERAL INCREASE IN NORMAL LIVING HERE IN PHUKET..i will give you an example i have recently come back from the uk,i have spent more than 4 months there this year.....the every day living things that you buy in tesco etc even in the markets in uk toiliteries etc elecrical goods with the exchangr rate.. even beer and pub grub you can even get a sunday rooast and a pint of beer in lots of places for 6 pound= 300bht

i am not talking about the cost of living of runing a house and a car etc. just making some comparisons how things are chaging.

Buddy you forgot something.

In your precious UK, you pay taxes. so youir 6pound is not 6 pound but 7 or 8 pound with taxes. Here the price advertised is what you get. Steaks and roasts are a lot cheaper. If you try many places, one day you'll find out a place where you think they have a good cook and you stick to it.

Or you learn to make it yourself.. Im investing a lot of money right now in my kitchen so i can stop going to restaurant soon, too many bad cooks and i rarely enjoy driving through the traffic for 45mins to get a good steak that i can make in 25mins at home with cheaper wine.

sorry buddy your wrong 6 pound all taxes included most of the prices in british pubs include tax...

You talk a lot about pubs, well in fact all your references where to pub and booze. You do know booze and girl company is a luxury? Not because they were at slave price before that they should always be. Work harder if you want luxury, if you cant afford 6 pounds then learn to make it yourself.. Get some Wheat and make pure alcohol and buy a fleshlight for your flesh needs. Save money makmak. whine less makmak.

Thailand is still VERY CHEAP and if you think its too expensive, you should NOT be traveling.

Edited by LivinginKata
Remark removed