Paradise Lost

Sadiegirl1975

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with disputing anything 'LOS' has to say on these forums. And you go out of your way to prove it to others here. A bit contradictory isn't it?

I don't know the man, or necessarily agree (or disagree) with everything he posts, and same with you and your posts. But there's no need to constantly knock him because you don't agree with what he says. You're both entitled to express yourselves here, and we're all entitled to form our own opinions.

The bloke's made more posts than I've had hot dinners, and his normal posting style is very relevent to this thread, which is why I feel intilted to use him as an example. Yes I do counter argue his posts regularly, that's because he makes so many, and I disagree with nearly all of them. no unhealthy obsession I asure you.

I'm a big fan of logic, and the lack of it, displayed in people coming on a forum, to convince me that I'm not happy in Phuket and that I need my eyes opened to the truth (by truth I mean their opinion) is as annoying and ilogical as can be, and 'LivinLOS' is undoubtedly one of the most prevelent posters of this nature.

I await with baited breath for an answer to my question, as to what they hope to achieve by these posts, because I for one am lost for an answer.

So then you're just freaked out about how many posts he's made? Or about how few hot dinners you've eaten?

Either way, you are being just as nit-picky over his posts as you accuse him and others of being nit-picky about what they see as some of the negative aspects of Phuket.

Dismissing everything he says because of a personal animosity (for whatever reason) towards him just discredits whatever otherwise valid argument you may be trying to make. Which also seems to defy that logic, of which you are so fond.

All things considered, I'd go with more hot dinners over obsessing about someone's post count. Tastes better, keeps the blood pressure down, and keeps you better focused on more important things. biggrin.gif

Cheers,

iS

Edited by iSabai

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with disputing anything 'LOS' has to say on these forums. And you go out of your way to prove it to others here. A bit contradictory isn't it?

I don't know the man, or necessarily agree (or disagree) with everything he posts, and same with you and your posts. But there's no need to constantly knock him because you don't agree with what he says. You're both entitled to express yourselves here, and we're all entitled to form our own opinions.

The bloke's made more posts than I've had hot dinners, and his normal posting style is very relevent to this thread, which is why I feel intilted to use him as an example. Yes I do counter argue his posts regularly, that's because he makes so many, and I disagree with nearly all of them. no unhealthy obsession I asure you.

I'm a big fan of logic, and the lack of it, displayed in people coming on a forum, to convince me that I'm not happy in Phuket and that I need my eyes opened to the truth (by truth I mean their opinion) is as annoying and ilogical as can be, and 'LivinLOS' is undoubtedly one of the most prevelent posters of this nature.

I await with baited breath for an answer to my question, as to what they hope to achieve by these posts, because I for one am lost for an answer.

So then you're just freaked out about how many posts he's made? Or about how few hot dinners you've eaten?

Either way, you are being just as nit-picky over his posts as you accuse him and others of being nit-picky about what they see as some of the negative aspects of Phuket.

Dismissing everything he says because of a personal animosity (for whatever reason) towards him just discredits whatever otherwise valid argument you may be trying to make. Which also seems to defy that logic, of which you are so fond.

All things considered, I'd go with more hot dinners over obsessing about someone's post count. Tastes better, keeps the blood pressure down, and keeps you better focused on more important things. biggrin.gif

Cheers,

iS

Two posts aimed at me in one day! Carefull, any more and it will look like you are developing a slight obsession, with my obsession for 'LivinLOS' :D

In all fairness you've probably got a point. When someone rubs you up the wrong way, you will always bite and respond quicker than you would with someone else. I've been reading this forum for a very long time, long before I became a member, and that particular members negative attitude (and know it all attitude in general, to be perfectly honest) has been rubbing a lot of members up the wrong way for a very long time. But you are quite right in saying that I'm being slightly hypercritical to focus so much of my time replying to his posts.

The thing is, even though I dissagree with him so much and have never undestood why someone can be so negative about the place he has chosen to live, he is actually a genuine poster. He believes in what he says, as apposed to being a wind up merchent pushing peoples buttons. If he was the latter I wouldn't give him the time of day.

Anyway, your point is a valid one, so I will refrain from paying too much attention to LivinLOS in the future. We have got rid of him finally after all. :D

Edited by BangTaoBoy

Yes I do know how to use a computer and how to post on a forum. It is not rocket science. My apologies to anyone that I may have offended as it seems that I may have ruffled a few feathers. The posts that I have seen in reply are and seem quite genuine and productive with a few not so. This seems to me to be part of problems that Phuket is facing, people that bury their heads in the sand and still say that everything is fine. I think that when you live somewhere for a period of time you become accustomed to what is going on around you and staring you in the face, if you see a pile of rubbish in the same place every day then pretty soon you stop notice it anymore. Maybe I recalled our first trip to Phuket more fondly than I remembered it to be, maybe a little bit older and wiser and not so tolerant of such things. Whatever the case, we both expected better this time and were both disappointed. We stayed at a new resort in Kamala because we know what Patong is all about and that is not really our scene. Just walking around Kamala was very similar to being in Patong, girlie beer bars everywhere, getting pestered to buy clothes and everything else under the sun that we did not want. We did not find any nice cafes or restaurants in the area that we wished to try outside of our resort and like I said in my first post a generally run down look about the place, rubbish, broken sidewalks and no sense of planning. We just found it was more of a hassle going outside of the resort and decided to stay there for the rest of our holiday. Sorry Phuket and Thailand but this will be the last time for us.

I really don't understand the infatuation many posters have with these beer bars and older Caucasian men and younger Thai women. I won't argue that it can detract from a given area. However, whether it is one's cup of tea or not one can simply avoid these areas. Phuket is a big island and the amount of territory occupied by beer bars is probably less than .001 percent. And as for older men walking with younger Thai women to each their own. I almost tend to sense a bit of insecurity, jealousy or animosity in many of these posts. Enjoy your <deleted> holiday and don't worry what everyone else is doing lol!!!

"Too many people who defend this so called Pearl of the Andaman do it through rose colored glasses"

Yep, let me shine up my rose tinted glasses and get abused here for saying that I like living in Phuket................

You are so right, i must wear rose tinted glasses to, i think its a great place to live and go on holidays from.

See KB i actually agree with you also, probably the first and last time.

I cannot understand people who complain all the time on this forum, you don't need a visa to go elsewhere.

There are some who do not live here and never have and like to pick up on other peoples posts and stir

Then you get others who have lived here for a long time and do not realise whats happening elsewhere in the world,

Everyone have a great and happy Xmas.

Surprised by the original post. Personally I don't think Phuket has changed that much in the last 7 years. Certainly some of the OP's biggest complaints such as tuk tuk rip-offs, taxi touts, bad driving, scams and bargirls were all in plentiful supply even back then.

There have been some changes obviously with some for the better and some for the worse.

Personally I enjoy living here. It's not my favourite place in the world but I generally find life here comfortable, pleasant and most importantly the island has the facilities and variety that I need.

Paradise lost? Never has been paradise in the 12 years I have lived here but overall an enjoyable place to live/holiday in.

It's happened again: Bangtaoboy gets his teeth into a thread and all hell breaks loose.

Come on, it's all a matter of opinion and if you don't like something there's nothing wrong with expressing your thoughts on a forum like this. At the same time we need more positive thoughts as well to balance it.

In general I'm neither a rose-tinted glasses person nor a Phuket/Thai basher but may have opinions at both extremes according to the topic.

Merry Christmas to all in Phuket and may this high season be a prosperous one.

Surprised by the original post. Personally I don't think Phuket has changed that much in the last 7 years. Certainly some of the OP's biggest complaints such as tuk tuk rip-offs, taxi touts, bad driving, scams and bargirls were all in plentiful supply even back then.

There have been some changes obviously with some for the better and some for the worse.

Personally I enjoy living here. It's not my favourite place in the world but I generally find life here comfortable, pleasant and most importantly the island has the facilities and variety that I need.

Paradise lost? Never has been paradise in the 12 years I have lived here but overall an enjoyable place to live/holiday in.

Not changed in 7 years,,,, where do you live, in the jungle? it change every year big time, look how everybody build, try go to Nai Harn and see how it have changed IN 1 YEAR, even a lotus express now

Edited by HDRIDER

Not changed in 7 years,,,, where do you live, in the jungle? it change every year big time, look how everybody build, try go to Nai Harn and see how it have changed IN 1 YEAR, even a lotus express now

Obviously reading isn't your strong point.

I didn't say it hasn't changed. I said it hasn't changed that much and most of the things the OP was complaining about were already here 7 years ago when he/she last visited.

Don't have the need, desire or intention of visiting Nai Harn thanks but I'll take your word for it that it even has a Lotus Express now (wow the rapid pace of change in Phuket :D ). As I said there have been some changes and some of them have been for the better (such as more facilities) and some of them for the worse (more traffic).

That's the price of progress.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

Phuket is half a sh!te hole, will always be, most people just think about getting tourist down here, not many do anything to keep it nice, just open your eys and look around for Christ sake, look how dirty it is everywhere, the nice clean water,, come on, where?? it will not change for the better, it will get worse, and yes i dont need the tourist for me they can go away today, but i know that the Island need them, and i guess in a way i do, otherwise i would not have Villa Market, did i tell you guys i like that place.

i live here because i like to be close to the sea, and i want my western food, i get so tired with Thai food.

will i move,,, maybe, who know, for now Nai Harn is still OK, and i can not move more South and i dont like the North Island at all, bunch of farmers up there (that was half a joke)

Phuket is half a sh!te hole,

I'd agree with that and that's why I choose to live in the other half ;)

Seriously though while Phuket is quite dirty, I don't think it's a charge that can just be leveled at Phuket. I find the island no dirtier than other regions/provinces of Thailand so I would suggest that it's more of a Thai thing than a Phuket thing. It would be nice if it was as clean and tidy as Singapore but can't see that ever happening.

I'd agree with that and that's why I choose to live in the other half ;)

Seriously though while Phuket is quite dirty, I don't think it's a charge that can just be leveled at Phuket. I find the island no dirtier than other regions/provinces of Thailand so I would suggest that it's more of a Thai thing than a Phuket thing. It would be nice if it was as clean and tidy as Singapore but can't see that ever happening.

I know it’s not much dirtier here than other places in Thailand, but Phuket have to live of the tourists, they don’t do that in Nakhon Sawan or Thep Sathit, Phuket should be just a bit cleaner for the tourist but i have seen a lot of Farang owned places look like sh!te as well, and a lot complain about business is tough, well start getting it to look like a nice place for a start, i was with some friend in a dive shop, they wanted to go for a dive trip,, not me, it was so dirty in there and the staff (Thai Lady) look like she did not care at all, guess she was on salary,,,, my friend said lets go i don’t like this. That company just lost money for 4 people going for a 2-3 day dive trip, and i see it all the time, amazing some shops are still open, staff there don’t care at all, i was in Central yesterday to buy some stuff, 2 customer in front of me and 7 staff behind the counter, after 10 minutes waiting i asked what’s going on, they just looked at me and say, to many costumer, i just left, and this going on in a lot of Farang shops. I want to visit Buno apitito in Chalong, but no car park, always the company car and a lot of bikes parked outside, don’t they want customer?? I think that over time the expat shop owners are adapting to the Thai way of doing things, and that’s OK we are in Thailand, but don’t expect all tourist to like it, or me :(

Well that’s all have a very great Christmas and a Happy New Year :)

I know it’s not much dirtier here than other places in Thailand, but Phuket have to live of the tourists, they don’t do that in Nakhon Sawan or Thep Sathit, Phuket should be just a bit cleaner for the tourist

Yes, you would think that all the tourist $s coming in would enable them to keep the island cleaner than elsewhere in Thailand but that doesn't seem to be happening with the exception of Laguna and maybe one or two other smaller areas. Still, as long as where I live is clean and tidy and the golf courses are kept in order, I can just about put up with the rest.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too :)

Me and a friend were jokingly having a conversation about adopting a zero tolerance for the usual BS you have to put up with here in regards to businesses and services on the island. Poor service, people treating their business like some sort of half-ass hobby etc. Of course, within days of this conversation I had the opportunity to implement this policy with a farang supplier who "forgot" to prepare my order, I just walked out without saying anything, found a new supplier, felt good.

The point is, tourists should do the same and that will cause change. i read the article about the thais being upset with the Russian tour operators, partly because they told people to avoid the tuk-tuks and other services, which they should. They are upset about the truth. Sooner or later they will wake up.

I'd agree with that and that's why I choose to live in the other half ;)post-105390-0-54075300-1293161999_thumb.

I quite often drive the cut through road that goes by the old Phuket Stunt show. Plenty of trash on this road as always, but I saw something new the other day.Someone had chucked their old sofa set on the side of the road. Two days later and there was a lot of garbage thrown right next to it. Does an old beat up sofa set discarded on the side of the road represent a trash bin in Thailand?

It's happened again: Bangtaoboy gets his teeth into a thread and all hell breaks loose.

:unsure:

I know it's not much dirtier here than other places in Thailand, but Phuket have to live of the tourists, they don't do that in Nakhon Sawan or Thep Sathit, Phuket should be just a bit cleaner for the tourist but i have seen a lot of Farang owned places look like sh!te as well, and a lot complain about business is tough, well start getting it to look like a nice place for a start, i was with some friend in a dive shop, they wanted to go for a dive trip,, not me, it was so dirty in there and the staff (Thai Lady) look like she did not care at all, guess she was on salary,,,, my friend said lets go i don't like this. That company just lost money for 4 people going for a 2-3 day dive trip, and i see it all the time, amazing some shops are still open, staff there don't care at all, i was in Central yesterday to buy some stuff, 2 customer in front of me and 7 staff behind the counter, after 10 minutes waiting i asked what's going on, they just looked at me and say, to many costumer, i just left, and this going on in a lot of Farang shops. I want to visit Buno apitito in Chalong, but no car park, always the company car and a lot of bikes parked outside, don't they want customer?? I think that over time the expat shop owners are adapting to the Thai way of doing things, and that's OK we are in Thailand, but don't expect all tourist to like it, or me :(

I think a lot of people get confused as to their status, sitting somewhere between a tourist and a resident, and I think this leads to a lot of unrealistic expectations.

Most tourists (OP excluded) turn up on holiday to have a great time. They don't allow themselves to get upset by a long queue or a lack of parking spaces. They just go with the flow and enjoy themselves. A lot of ex-pats will always say 'this is bad for tourists', and 'that's bad for tourists' and the truth is it's not the tourists that are moaning, it's the ex-pats.

Quite simply I think people often look at the situation through confused eyes. They are looking at it as if they were a tourist, but they aren't because they don't go home after two weeks, they stay indefinately. It's this combination of people trying to live long term in an area that is prodomenently geared toward tourists, coupled with the fact that Thailand is a developing country, something a lot of ex-pats can never get their heads around, that causes a lot of people to be unable to go 3 days straight, without coming on a forum to complain.

I have to agree with this post. Although Thailand is a developing country as you say why do we have first world prices here? Explain that one. If I have to put up with the developing country lack of infrastructure and service and cleanliness I would expect to pay a little less to live here but at the prices I pay to live here, well maybe it is just me but I just expect a little more in return.

I know it's not much dirtier here than other places in Thailand, but Phuket have to live of the tourists, they don't do that in Nakhon Sawan or Thep Sathit, Phuket should be just a bit cleaner for the tourist but i have seen a lot of Farang owned places look like sh!te as well, and a lot complain about business is tough, well start getting it to look like a nice place for a start, i was with some friend in a dive shop, they wanted to go for a dive trip,, not me, it was so dirty in there and the staff (Thai Lady) look like she did not care at all, guess she was on salary,,,, my friend said lets go i don't like this. That company just lost money for 4 people going for a 2-3 day dive trip, and i see it all the time, amazing some shops are still open, staff there don't care at all, i was in Central yesterday to buy some stuff, 2 customer in front of me and 7 staff behind the counter, after 10 minutes waiting i asked what's going on, they just looked at me and say, to many costumer, i just left, and this going on in a lot of Farang shops. I want to visit Buno apitito in Chalong, but no car park, always the company car and a lot of bikes parked outside, don't they want customer?? I think that over time the expat shop owners are adapting to the Thai way of doing things, and that's OK we are in Thailand, but don't expect all tourist to like it, or me :(

I think a lot of people get confused as to their status, sitting somewhere between a tourist and a resident, and I think this leads to a lot of unrealistic expectations.

Most tourists (OP excluded) turn up on holiday to have a great time. They don't allow themselves to get upset by a long queue or a lack of parking spaces. They just go with the flow and enjoy themselves. A lot of ex-pats will always say 'this is bad for tourists', and 'that's bad for tourists' and the truth is it's not the tourists that are moaning, it's the ex-pats.

Quite simply I think people often look at the situation through confused eyes. They are looking at it as if they were a tourist, but they aren't because they don't go home after two weeks, they stay indefinately. It's this combination of people trying to live long term in an area that is prodomenently geared toward tourists, coupled with the fact that Thailand is a developing country, something a lot of ex-pats can never get their heads around, that causes a lot of people to be unable to go 3 days straight, without coming on a forum to complain.

I have to agree with this post. Although Thailand is a developing country as you say why do we have first world prices here? Explain that one. If I have to put up with the developing country lack of infrastructure and service and cleanliness I would expect to pay a little less to live here but at the prices I pay to live here, well maybe it is just me but I just expect a little more in return.

first world prices?

annual road tax for a Vios car is 700 baht, and first class insurance is a fraction of western countries

electricity is 3,5 baht/kwh any time of the year

Big Mac is 70 baht, and can be replaced by a delicious thai meal at same price

a beer in bangla bar is 70 baht

a polo t shirt is 120 baht

going off Phuket, a nice aircon hotelroom with swimmingpool is 6-700 baht

and my maid is happy with 7.000 baht a month, actually I ll give her a raise this month :)

not the prices in the first world countrys I have lived in or visited

Hi

I can follow you so far but why does it have to get worse, and it does, start getting expensive but you dont get anything for the extra money it cost to live here, why does it have to be like that, when i moved here it was not that bad, what is it? money money money? everybody know there is to many bars, dive shops, beuty saloons, list goes on but that will not change me think,oohh and to many 7/11 and to few villa market

Are they first world though? Isn't that another of example of ex-pats getting confused, thinking they can live somewhere that millions of tourists travel from one side of the world to the other to visit, but still sit in a beach side restaurant with stunning views and eat a meal for 50 baht. It's not going to happen is it.

For tourists, Phuket is still a lot cheaper than the West, so for them it's good value for money. 200 baht gets you a decent meal in a decent restaurant, if you go to the right ones. That's £4, at least a third of the price it would be in the West. That's not so bad is it.

As for people like 'HDR' who can't do without their Farang food, then that's not Phukets fault. I still regularly spend 50-100 baht on my dinner, not because that's all I can afford, but because I enjoy eating local Thai food. That's less than £2, not a very first world price.

Some things are cheaper, many things are not. If you want a car with some decent horsepower, or a car that isn't manufactured in Thailand, prepare to pay way more than you would in most first world countries. If you want some decent electronics, bend over. Do you feel like having some decent wine, feel free to pony up a lot of extra cash....... The list goes on and on so maybe some small things are cheaper, but if you want anything nice, get ready to pay more for it. Even a small thing like a small Heineken from the local 7 /11 cost more than most countries.

first world prices?

annual road tax for a Vios car is 700 baht, and first class insurance is a fraction of western countries

electricity is 3,5 baht/kwh any time of the year

Big Mac is 70 baht, and can be replaced by a delicious thai meal at same price

a beer in bangla bar is 70 baht

a polo t shirt is 120 baht

going off Phuket, a nice aircon hotelroom with swimmingpool is 6-700 baht

and my maid is happy with 7.000 baht a month, actually I ll give her a raise this month :)

not the prices in the first world countrys I have lived in or visited

Most the people who whinge on this forum about the cost of living here have no idea what first world prices are.

It makes me wonder what standard of living they had in there home country.

Some things are cheaper, many things are not. If you want a car with some decent horsepower, or a car that isn't manufactured in Thailand, prepare to pay way more than you would in most first world countries. If you want some decent electronics, bend over. Do you feel like having some decent wine, feel free to pony up a lot of extra cash....... The list goes on and on so maybe some small things are cheaper, but if you want anything nice, get ready to pay more for it. Even a small thing like a small Heineken from the local 7 /11 cost more than most countries.

Yes, some things are expensive, but those things are all extra's. The basic needs of life are still very cheap in Thailand, even on Phuket with it's very high land prices.

As for people like 'HDR' who can't do without their Farang food, then that's not Phukets fault. I still regularly spend 50-100 baht on my dinner, not because that's all I can afford, but because I enjoy eating local Thai food. That's less than £2, not a very first world price.

I can live without Farang food but i would hate to do it, after a few days with Thai food i want some real farang food, and thats what you can get here, i would never live in a place where i cant get my western food, but hey thats me.

this thread has slowly drifted from a tourists opinion on Phuket..to how expensive it is to live here..

Lets be honest it has gone a lot more expensive..i would say in the last couple of years it costs at least 30% more to live here...with inflation and the strong bht most eurapean and american expats must be feeling the pinch..i certainly do.. and ive been coming here a long time....

>>The basic needs of life are still very cheap in Thailand

I'm not looking to get by on just basic needs, I'm looking for a nice quality of life and what goes with that. Those foreigners living here for basic needs can have their hongs, samlors and noodle soups, to each their own, but no thanks for moi.

Try buying a small Heineken in a shop in Australia

Cars are expensive here, pickups are not.

Checking overseas electronics are not expensive here.

If you buy wine made in northern Thailand its not expensive and as good if not better

than a lot of the imported wines, what people call good wine is very expensive in Australia.

All your basic needs here are cheaper than most countries

Phuket also has a great climate all the year round.

Try buying a small Heineken in a shop in Australia

Why buy a Heineken in Australia? I was referring to a decent local brewed beer, not an expensive import

Cars are expensive here, pickups are not.

Why would I want to drive a pickup all the time when I'd rather drive a car?

Checking overseas electronics are not expensive here.

What happens if and when customs stops you?

If you buy wine made in northern Thailand its not expensive and as good if not better

Why do I have to buy wine made in TH and according to most wine connioisseurs I know, no one agrees with you that Thai wine is better.

All your basic needs here are cheaper than most countries

Do you mean most countries, or do you mean most first world countries?

Phuket also has a great climate all the year round.

Finally I can agree with you on this point.

Edited by steelepulse

>>The basic needs of life are still very cheap in Thailand

I'm not looking to get by on just basic needs, I'm looking for a nice quality of life and what goes with that. Those foreigners living here for basic needs can have their hongs, samlors and noodle soups, to each their own, but no thanks for moi.

You're right, my formulation was not correct.

Comfortable living is still very cheap in Thailand, even on Phuket. Luxurious living is not. A good car is very affordable, something imported costs a lot more, etc. I can still eat an excellent steak in Rawai for 400 Baht, the same quality would cost much more in Europe. But if I want something really special I'll have to pay.

Barka, I presume you have included the strong Baht in your '30% more expensive to live here'? I don't see any big increases in prices, just the normal ones like all over the world. But I'm not interested in buying here, so that may make a difference.