Paradise Lost

Sadiegirl1975

Some things are cheaper, many things are not. If you want a car with some decent horsepower, or a car that isn't manufactured in Thailand, prepare to pay way more than you would in most first world countries. If you want some decent electronics, bend over. Do you feel like having some decent wine, feel free to pony up a lot of extra cash....... The list goes on and on so maybe some small things are cheaper, but if you want anything nice, get ready to pay more for it. Even a small thing like a small Heineken from the local 7 /11 cost more than most countries.

Try buying a small Heineken in a shop in Australia

Why buy a Heineken in Australia? I was referring to a decent local brewed beer, not an expensive import

Cars are expensive here, pickups are not.

Why would I want to drive a pickup all the time when I'd rather drive a car?

Checking overseas electronics are not expensive here.

What happens if and when customs stops you?

If you buy wine made in northern Thailand its not expensive and as good if not better

Why do I have to buy wine made in TH and according to most wine connioisseurs I know, no one agrees with you that Thai wine is better.

All your basic needs here are cheaper than most countries

Do you mean most countries, or do you mean most first world countries?

Phuket also has a great climate all the year round.

Finally I can agree with you on this point.

I said electronics are not expensive here, so why would i want to bring them through customs

I suggest you pick on Moos restaurant again, everyone else likes the place, except you

I hope you are not a frustrated person involved in real estate because business is only going to get worse.

Edited by katabeachbum
flaming remark removed

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>The basic needs of life are still very cheap in Thailand

I'm not looking to get by on just basic needs, I'm looking for a nice quality of life and what goes with that. Those foreigners living here for basic needs can have their hongs, samlors and noodle soups, to each their own, but no thanks for moi.

You're right, my formulation was not correct.

Comfortable living is still very cheap in Thailand, even on Phuket. Luxurious living is not. A good car is very affordable, something imported costs a lot more, etc. I can still eat an excellent steak in Rawai for 400 Baht, the same quality would cost much more in Europe. But if I want something really special I'll have to pay.

Barka, I presume you have included the strong Baht in your '30% more expensive to live here'? I don't see any big increases in prices, just the normal ones like all over the world. But I'm not interested in buying here, so that may make a difference.

Thats where i wanted to go. Comfortable middle class living is very inexpensive in Thailand and Phuket. A maid is affordable, and for most in developed western countries totally out of reach

I was looking to buy a used car earlier this year, at one car lot they had a 1992 Honda Civic with 245,000 kms on it, almost an antique. The guy wanted 200,000 baht for it, I almost choked and then had to laugh. I told the guy that back in the UK you would have to pay £150 to have someone tow it a way. Other cars on his lot that were 3 years old were only about a 100,000 baht cheaper than a new model would cost. You can't tell me that cars aren't expensive here;

I was looking to buy a used car earlier this year, at one car lot they had a 1992 Honda Civic with 245,000 kms on it, almost an antique. The guy wanted 200,000 baht for it, I almost choked and then had to laugh. I told the guy that back in the UK you would have to pay £150 to have someone tow it a way. Other cars on his lot that were 3 years old were only about a 100,000 baht cheaper than a new model would cost. You can't tell me that cars aren't expensive here;

2011 Nissan March 5 door hatch off the showroom floor including aircon, 375k baht

need larger?

2011Toyota Vios 4 door sedan, auto, AC, 540k baht

much larger?

2011 4 door pickup with very powerfull commonraildiesel(no cheap gas sipper), AC, any brand like Toyota, Chevy, Ford, Nissan starting at 600k baht

I can tell you cars are cheap here :)

the annual taxes, insurance and fees to keep these cars are a fraction of every western country, and after 3 years you can sell it and get back 60-70% of what you payed.

Finance is 0-2,5% with 25% down even for a farang with no Thai credit history

I have never experienced less expensive car ownership, and I used to be a car dealer

Cars are expensive here and hold there value.

Pickups are not but still hold there value.

KBB explained why in a previous post.

A vehicle with a solid rear drive axle and leaf springs is taxed at a lower rate

>>The basic needs of life are still very cheap in Thailand

I'm not looking to get by on just basic needs, I'm looking for a nice quality of life and what goes with that. Those foreigners living here for basic needs can have their hongs, samlors and noodle soups, to each their own, but no thanks for moi.

You're right, my formulation was not correct.

Comfortable living is still very cheap in Thailand, even on Phuket. Luxurious living is not. A good car is very affordable, something imported costs a lot more, etc. I can still eat an excellent steak in Rawai for 400 Baht, the same quality would cost much more in Europe. But if I want something really special I'll have to pay.

Barka, I presume you have included the strong Baht in your '30% more expensive to live here'? I don't see any big increases in prices, just the normal ones like all over the world. But I'm not interested in buying here, so that may make a difference.

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN BUYING NOTHING HERE.. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE GENERAL INCREASE IN NORMAL LIVING HERE IN PHUKET..i will give you an example i have recently come back from the uk,i have spent more than 4 months there this year.....the every day living things that you buy in tesco etc even in the markets in uk toiliteries etc elecrical goods with the exchangr rate.. even beer and pub grub you can even get a sunday rooast and a pint of beer in lots of places for 6 pound= 300bht

i am not talking about the cost of living of runing a house and a car etc. just making some comparisons how things are chaging.

I quite often drive the cut through road that goes by the old Phuket Stunt show. Plenty of trash on this road as always, but I saw something new the other day.Someone had chucked their old sofa set on the side of the road. Two days later and there was a lot of garbage thrown right next to it. Does an old beat up sofa set discarded on the side of the road represent a trash bin in Thailand?

haha that's my neighbor. He lives very far from there, but this morning i noticed that old sofa was gone from his "home made garage"

.. drove 35km for this.. He's one of the dirtiest people i have ever seen, im not surprised.. Thank god there's a nicely built wall to separate us.

Edited by DougLee

Some things are cheaper, many things are not. If you want a car with some decent horsepower, or a car that isn't manufactured in Thailand, prepare to pay way more than you would in most first world countries. If you want some decent electronics, bend over. Do you feel like having some decent wine, feel free to pony up a lot of extra cash....... The list goes on and on so maybe some small things are cheaper, but if you want anything nice, get ready to pay more for it. Even a small thing like a small Heineken from the local 7 /11 cost more than most countries.

From what i read, you can modify most cars here for pretty cheap to go from 105hp to 250+

Just a suggestion Barka.

Could you just write in lower case letters. Capital letters are the equivalent of shouting on the internet.

If you really want to emphasise a word (though I think most of the posters on here are intelligent enough not to need that), use the italics icon.

That way your post won't look like a child posted it.

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN BUYING NOTHING HERE.. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE GENERAL INCREASE IN NORMAL LIVING HERE IN PHUKET..i will give you an example i have recently come back from the uk,i have spent more than 4 months there this year.....the every day living things that you buy in tesco etc even in the markets in uk toiliteries etc elecrical goods with the exchangr rate.. even beer and pub grub you can even get a sunday rooast and a pint of beer in lots of places for 6 pound= 300bht

i am not talking about the cost of living of runing a house and a car etc. just making some comparisons how things are chaging.

Buddy you forgot something.

In your precious UK, you pay taxes. so youir 6pound is not 6 pound but 7 or 8 pound with taxes. Here the price advertised is what you get. Steaks and roasts are a lot cheaper. If you try many places, one day you'll find out a place where you think they have a good cook and you stick to it.

Or you learn to make it yourself.. Im investing a lot of money right now in my kitchen so i can stop going to restaurant soon, too many bad cooks and i rarely enjoy driving through the traffic for 45mins to get a good steak that i can make in 25mins at home with cheaper wine.

Sorry, I did not realise I insulted you or gave you another reason to shout at me.

But still you answered my question, yes, you included the exchange rate of Pound-Euro to baht in your comparison. Since the dramatic fall of both recently, no wonder Thailand has gotten 30% more expensive. And I don't think the Pound will recover, so it will get worse for you.

Edited by stevenl

2011 Nissan March 5 door hatch off the showroom floor including aircon, 375k baht

need larger?

much larger?

2011 4 door pickup with very powerfull commonraildiesel(no cheap gas sipper), AC, any brand like Toyota, Chevy, Ford, Nissan starting at 600k baht

the annual taxes, insurance and fees to keep these cars are a fraction of every western country, and after 3 years you can sell it and get back 60-70% of what you payed.

I have never experienced less expensive car ownership, and I used to be a car dealer

i agree its not abouy cost...i have never experianced any where.. were you can expect a resale value like you can in Phuket

From the OP, Post #1:

"This is our second trip to Phuket, the first being seven years ago before the tsunami. What happened to you, Phuket?"

I asked that same question myself, but a very long time ago....

When I came to Thailand for the very first time, over 30 years ago, I visited Phuket and it was a dream, a tropical dream with Patong Beach being the virgin like beach one dreams about when you've never been to the tropics before.

But, I haven't been back to Phuket since some 25 years now and feel no desire to come back anymore. Other virgin beaches are totally overbuilt and greed has taken over the once so beautiful island province; of course there are still nice places but the dream I once had and experienced has been disturbed a long time ago.

Phuket administration has never been able to control the building and construction greed and the island's beaches are spoiled forever. Corruption and the tuk-tuk and other mafioso systems were never controlled and shows that Phuket wasn't and still isn't able to control its own corruption and greed.

Time to move on to other places.

I wish everybody:

*** คริสมาสต์มีความสุข * Merry Christmas * Bon Natal *גליקלעך ניטל * Bon Nadal * Frohe Weihnachten * Joyeux Noël * God jul * חג מולד שמח * Zalig Kerstmis * Buon Natale * 圣诞快乐 * Navidad Feliz * счастливое рождество * Natal Feliz * ハッピークリスマス * Nollaig Shona * Selamat Natal * Glædelig Jul * Hyvää Joulua * Καλά Χριστούγεννα * 메리 크리스마스 * Wesołych Świąt *** :jap:

LaoPo

In your precious UK, you pay taxes. so youir 6pound is not 6 pound but 7 or 8 pound with taxes. Here the price advertised is what you get. Steaks and roasts are a lot cheaper. If you try many places, one day you'll find out a place where you think they have a good cook and you stick to it.

Or you learn to make it yourself.. Im investing a lot of money right now in my kitchen so i can stop going to restaurant soon, too many bad cooks and i rarely enjoy driving through the traffic for 45mins to get a good steak that i can make in 25mins at home with cheaper wine.

pork tenderloin at 120 baht/kg, thats approx 55 baht/pound

beef tenderloin at 350 baht/kg thats approx 160 baht/pound

2 kg french fries at 119 baht

red wine 5 litre box from south africa at 890 baht. makes the evening :P

need larger?

much larger?

Where i come from, third party insurance is included in the vehicle license.

The fee to license the vehicle is not a lot, its the insurance that makes the license expensive.

A third party insurance claim can cost millions of dollars.

A better equipped car costs less, a not so well equipped pickup costs more, both manufactured in Thailand

Vehicles cost a lot less to maintain here and hold there value a lot better.

I still say if you can buy a vehicle manufactured in Thailand for cheaper overseas than you can here it is expensive.

Sorry, I did not realise I insulted you or gave you another reason to shout at me.

But still you answered my question, yes, you included the exchange rate of Pound-Euro to baht in your comparison. Since the dramatic fall of both recently, no wonder Thailand has gotten 30% more expensive. And I don't think the Pound will recover, so it will get worse for you.

sorry steve.. i did not mean to shout at you... just making a point my way.. no offence.. i hope

sorry buddy your wrong 6 pound all taxes included most of the prices in british pubs include tax...

I have to agree with this post. Although Thailand is a developing country as you say why do we have first world prices here? Explain that one. If I have to put up with the developing country lack of infrastructure and service and cleanliness I would expect to pay a little less to live here but at the prices I pay to live here, well maybe it is just me but I just expect a little more in return.

first world prices?

annual road tax for a Vios car is 700 baht, and first class insurance is a fraction of western countries

electricity is 3,5 baht/kwh any time of the year

Big Mac is 70 baht, and can be replaced by a delicious thai meal at same price

a beer in bangla bar is 70 baht

a polo t shirt is 120 baht

going off Phuket, a nice aircon hotelroom with swimmingpool is 6-700 baht

and my maid is happy with 7.000 baht a month, actually I ll give her a raise this month :)

not the prices in the first world countrys I have lived in or visited

Crap stuff is cheap.. Good / Luxury things generally cost far more than the west.

So its how you live your life.. If you happy with low quality its cheap, if you want even middle quality its not.

Just back from christmas shopping with guests expected tomorrow.. 5 bottles of red 2 bottles of champagne.. Cost ?? You dont wanna know.

But hey.. I expect to have the meal out poolside..

You put it exactly tho, lots of little things are cheap (sort of) not nearly as much of a difference as it was before but its still cheaper than the west as its low costs of labor. But any 1 item of big stuff kills months or years of small stuff savings. The cost of one german car is a years living in the west, the cost of a proper sportscar ?? Multiple years !!

Most the people who whinge on this forum about the cost of living here have no idea what first world prices are.

It makes me wonder what standard of living they had in there home country.

A far higher one than here.. Porsche's and the like in my 20's..

And I still run a home in the UK and fund a household.. So I know exactly what it costs for my mum to live in the UK as I pay that lifestyle also.

If you buy wine made in northern Thailand its not expensive and as good if not better

than a lot of the imported wines, what people call good wine is very expensive in Australia.

Ok lets examine these one by one see whose forgotten the price of things ??

I would get a box of imported beers at 24 cans of 440 ml for 16 quid in uk.. Thats 740b or 30b a 440ml. however I tend to like Bulmers / blackthorn / Guiness and a variety of rarer beers etc. Guiness is 20 cans for 16 quid, in Thailand its about 2.50 a can. Bulmers etc even worse your paying over 200b a bottle for bulmers in most bars. So drink is hardly cheaper here.

2 Pickups are not expensive ?? Really ?? I have a mate with 250k to spend on a pickup.. And so far hes being shown 10 year old dogs. In the UK you can get a E39 BMW 540 for 50 - 100k baht.. Leather options the lot.. Compared to about 1.5mil for the same here. Theres going to have to be a lot of 25 baht noodles to save that.

Overseas electronics not expensive ?? If there even available (I have to import stuff from the west all the time as it simply doesnt exist here) go price up some quality.. B&W speakers.. 400k baht second hand !! Go price up an 3d LED TV here its usually double the price of a western model. High end electronics are far more expensive and far less supported (mai mee wallanty). Just a fact.. Sure look at the low end of the market and its closer, still more but not by factors of 2 3 and 4 like the decent stuff.

Wine made in Northern Thailand is just as good.. BWA HAA HAAA HAAAA.. Now I know your either insane or making it up to prove a point.. Thai wine is better !! LOL.. And Aussie wines are expensive !!

Thailand does have a great climate.. I personally dont like the humidity but at least its not cold.

If you live a nice lifestyle, including quality cars, decent motorbikes, toys, hobbies and the like.. Thailand ceases to be cheaper than the west.. It just does.. I know what I spend and its more than the uk average income !! So what, easy come easy go.. I can make more money.. But lets not pretend its cheaper to live even a middle class western lifestyle. The western retiree who swaps a beemer for an airblade and says its cheaper isnt making a like for like comparison.

need larger?

much larger?

OK.. Ill bite.. 200 bhp minimum.. Rear wheel drive.. Anything ?? sub say 100k USD 3m baht ??

Some of us dont want an econobox.. This is the exact same thing.. We are talking even mid level quality (3 series 5 series) not talking Audi R8 or BMW M5. Let alone proper top shelf exotics.

But lets not pretend its cheaper to live even a middle class western lifestyle.
You mention 'western' in your post, and that makes a big difference. But one can live a very comfortable Thai lifestyle with western things thrown in, a lot cheaper than in the west.

But you'll have to stay away from luxurious things like your beemer, champagne and B&W speakers. But there are good, comfortable alternatives, although for you they probably will be basic and not good enough.

But if you want to live a luxurious, western lifestyle you have to pay for it.

BTW, have your mate (one of the many that no doubt hates Phuket and has been robbed at gunpoint) buy a new pickup, financially much more solid.

than a lot of the imported wines, what people call good wine is very expensive in Australia.

Ok lets examine these one by one see whose forgotten the price of things ??

I would get a box of imported beers at 24 cans of 440 ml for 16 quid in uk.. Thats 740b or 30b a 440ml. however I tend to like Bulmers / blackthorn / Guiness and a variety of rarer beers etc. Guiness is 20 cans for 16 quid, in Thailand its about 2.50 a can. Bulmers etc even worse your paying over 200b a bottle for bulmers in most bars. So drink is hardly cheaper here.

2 Pickups are not expensive ?? Really ?? I have a mate with 250k to spend on a pickup.. And so far hes being shown 10 year old dogs. In the UK you can get a E39 BMW 540 for 50 - 100k baht.. Leather options the lot.. Compared to about 1.5mil for the same here. Theres going to have to be a lot of 25 baht noodles to save that.

Overseas electronics not expensive ?? If there even available (I have to import stuff from the west all the time as it simply doesnt exist here) go price up some quality.. B&W speakers.. 400k baht second hand !! Go price up an 3d LED TV here its usually double the price of a western model. High end electronics are far more expensive and far less supported (mai mee wallanty). Just a fact.. Sure look at the low end of the market and its closer, still more but not by factors of 2 3 and 4 like the decent stuff.

Wine made in Northern Thailand is just as good.. BWA HAA HAAA HAAAA.. Now I know your either insane or making it up to prove a point.. Thai wine is better !! LOL.. And Aussie wines are expensive !!

Thailand does have a great climate.. I personally dont like the humidity but at least its not cold.

If you live a nice lifestyle, including quality cars, decent motorbikes, toys, hobbies and the like.. Thailand ceases to be cheaper than the west.. It just does.. I know what I spend and its more than the uk average income !! So what, easy come easy go.. I can make more money.. But lets not pretend its cheaper to live even a middle class western lifestyle. The western retiree who swaps a beemer for an airblade and says its cheaper isnt making a like for like comparison.

A box of imported beer in Aussie on special 1500 baht if not over 2000 baht

Following your posts you drive a second hand Audi from memory

Following your posts there is nothing special about your motorbike

The majority of Aussie wines sold here are between 180 and 300 baht baht a bottle in Aussie

They are not good Aussie wine, since i am not a wine drinker it does not worry me.

I do not buy items because of there brand name, that means nothing, quite often

different brand names are made in the same factory they are the same but the retail

price varies according to the brand name

If you want to buy a second hand MB, BMW,AUDI in Aussie after about 6 years they

are as cheap as chips because no one wants them.

Personally i enjoy my lifestyle, I have what i want when i want and i am not interested in impressing anyone else,

Unlike some people.

Have a good Xmas