Paradise Lost

Sadiegirl1975

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just look at the tourist forums. Many, many returning guests.

Thats great if people are but with the few friends I have in Phuket that run bars/hotels/dive shops...they are all struggling...and the feedback they have from customers is always the same.....Phuket is expensive, seedy and rip offs everywhere you go....

Thats because your cans of Leo are still 27Baht :D :D :D ..thats great if you are still getting people coming back...may it continue for you and others

Haha sparkplug thats it the beer leo thats why we all come back.after some cans phuket for me still paradise.

how about your bookings this season are they still as good..and last years customers still coming back in the same numbers?

Returning guests is not the problem, new guests are. Also virtually no walk in trade.

November was a good month, for me anyway, December seems to be (way) down for everybody. Beginning of next year looks ok regarding bookings, could do with some walk ins though, later on in the year is again not looking too bright.

Walking along beach road for the festival to celebrate the beginning of the high and peaks seasons, it was dead, i know it was raining but in past years even with rain it has been unwalkable because of the crowds.

Just come past that new Patong city view point, unbelievable, a bus had parked and let people off to sight see and take photo's, the traffic tailed back to the Caltex garage, i can't believe someone really thought that project through and at 9 million baht, wow.

I passed Banana nightclub aswel the other night and thought "ah bamboo scaffold up for work" i've just passed and it's the new finished exterior, it looks so badly done, 0 out of 10 for effort.

Can anyone think of a new road that hasn't fell to bits within 6 month, potholes within potholes

As for the water supply on the hills in Patong it's non existent, last month nearly 20,000 in bills for water trucks

The rough and readiness of phuket 10 years ago had a quaintness about it, but the money and investment that has been ploughed into the place it should look a lot better and have a better feel about it.

What wasn't a moan or a irritation then is now turning in to one.

how about your bookings this season are they still as good..and last years customers still coming back in the same numbers?

Returning guests is not the problem, new guests are. Also virtually no walk in trade.

November was a good month, for me anyway, December seems to be (way) down for everybody. Beginning of next year looks ok regarding bookings, could do with some walk ins though, later on in the year is again not looking too bright.

I don't really understand the OP's point.

There have been changes in 7 years but not as great as the OP seems to suggest (a clear example of the OP's skewed viewpoint is the reference to cross cultural 'romances' which are hardly a new thing).

On the basis of the OP's distaste with its current state I cannot see how Phuket 7 years ago or whenever fits the notion of 'Paradise' to which they seem to be referring.

Phuket has always been a mix of the good and bad, which of course relate to subjective preferences anyway.

I have to question the OP's motivations for wanting to post a thread on how after 7 years their second trip wasn't like their first.

Could such a person have an enjoyable time anywhere?

Edited by thaiwanderer

<snip> Phuket wil alawys attract some visitors but now the repeat and referral customers are virtually non existent.

I wonder what is the source of your information to make such a claim? I think you will find that quite a few businesses rely rather heavily upon their repeat trade and referrals. Certainly, that is the case with many of the small business owners who I know. Although they are concerned about numbers generally, they remain happy with their repeat trade. I really cannot fathom how you could declare that these sources are 'virtually non-existent'.

I don't really understand the OP's point.There have been changes in 7 years but not as great as the OP seems to suggest (a clear example of the OP's skewed viewpoint is the reference to cross cultural 'romances' which are hardly a new thing). On the basis of the OP's distaste with its current state I cannot see how Phuket 7 years ago or whenever fits the notion of 'Paradise' to which they seem to be referring.Phuket has always been a mix of the good and bad, which of course relate to subjective preferences anyway.I have to question the OP's motivations for wanting to post a thread on how after 7 years their second trip wasn't like their first.Could such a person have an enjoyable time anywhere?

Yes, and this old chestnut of Phuket going down the gutter raises itself so often that I wonder if some of the newer OPs ever look through older posts. In particular, I'm amused by those folk who declare that it is in such a state that they will never ever return - yet they remain involved in the Phuket sub-forum. Why? It's akin to those who say what a wonderful village Patong was many years ago, and now it's been ruined by overdevelopment. While I agree that the development never seems to slow down, those who are nostalgic for the 'olden' days seem to have conveniently forgotten a few things: the mosquito problem (due to the number of klongs and open drains - every bar burned mosquito coils); the open drains and stench from them wherever you walked; the number of children involved in selling Chicklets, etc, who would constantly tug at your shirt - swarms of them; the state of the roads - far worse than they are now; the single location where one had to queue to make an exorbitantly priced international telephone call; the need to drive to Phuket Town to find the closest supermarket; and yes, the ne'er-do-well Thais who were around in those days as well.

It is a matter of typical economic forces that brings development to Phuket. In the tourist areas of the island, it has never been a pristine 'paradise'. Granted, it was easier to find unspoilt beaches in those days - but tourism brings a price everywhere it occurs. I, for one, am far happier with the place now than the way it was - even if the cost is in suffering the over-development. As so many have said before, if it is pristine and unspoilt you want, there are plenty of options other than Phuket.

E: Formatting

Edited by Ping

I think if you read the OP's post you will see that she means that Phuket is not a top world class destination as it advertises itself to be, I agree. It has some top resorts but the island's infrastructure and the way it is run and governed and the attitiude of the locals makes it nothing more than a banana republic. And as she pointed out it is worse than when she first visited and IMO opinion gets worse everyday. Too many people who defend this so called Pearl of the Andaman do it through rose colored glasses.

<snip> Phuket wil alawys attract some visitors but now the repeat and referral customers are virtually non existent.

I wonder what is the source of your information to make such a claim? I think you will find that quite a few businesses rely rather heavily upon their repeat trade and referrals. Certainly, that is the case with many of the small business owners who I know. Although they are concerned about numbers generally, they remain happy with their repeat trade. I really cannot fathom how you could declare that these sources are 'virtually non-existent'.

I don't really understand the OP's point.There have been changes in 7 years but not as great as the OP seems to suggest (a clear example of the OP's skewed viewpoint is the reference to cross cultural 'romances' which are hardly a new thing). On the basis of the OP's distaste with its current state I cannot see how Phuket 7 years ago or whenever fits the notion of 'Paradise' to which they seem to be referring.Phuket has always been a mix of the good and bad, which of course relate to subjective preferences anyway.I have to question the OP's motivations for wanting to post a thread on how after 7 years their second trip wasn't like their first.Could such a person have an enjoyable time anywhere?

Yes, and this old chestnut of Phuket going down the gutter raises itself so often that I wonder if some of the newer OPs ever look through older posts. In particular, I'm amused by those folk who declare that it is in such a state that they will never ever return - yet they remain involved in the Phuket sub-forum. Why? It's akin to those who say what a wonderful village Patong was many years ago, and now it's been ruined by overdevelopment. While I agree that the development never seems to slow down, those who are nostalgic for the 'olden' days seem to have conveniently forgotten a few things: the mosquito problem (due to the number of klongs and open drains - every bar burned mosquito coils); the open drains and stench from them wherever you walked; the number of children involved in selling Chicklets, etc, who would constantly tug at your shirt - swarms of them; the state of the roads - far worse than they are now; the single location where one had to queue to make an exorbitantly priced international telephone call; the need to drive to Phuket Town to find the closest supermarket; and yes, the ne'er-do-well Thais who were around in those days as well.

It is a matter of typical economic forces that brings development to Phuket. In the tourist areas of the island, it has never been a pristine 'paradise'. Granted, it was easier to find unspoilt beaches in those days - but tourism brings a price everywhere it occurs. I, for one, am far happier with the place now than the way it was - even if the cost is in suffering the over-development. As so many have said before, if it is pristine and unspoilt you want, there are plenty of options other than Phuket.

E: Formatting

I think if you read the OP's post you will see that she means that Phuket is not a top world class destination as it advertises itself to be, I agree. It has some top resorts but the island's infrastructure and the way it is run and governed and the attitiude of the locals makes it nothing more than a banana republic. And as she pointed out it is worse than when she first visited and IMO opinion gets worse everyday. Too many people who defend this so called Pearl of the Andaman do it through rose colored glasses.

Worse? How? The main changes over the years are those that I've listed - development being the major example (which, of course, is a product of tourism and happens at tourist locations around the world). Can you be specific in how you say it has got worse? And are you discounting from those all of the improvements (eg the plethora of restaurants, greatly improved shopping facilities, better roads, better drains)? I fail to see how any of the comments I've made constitute looking through 'rose coloured glasses'. I have not said anywhere that the place is perfect - it is far from it. Bear in mind that we are talking about a tourist destination in Thailand. Do you expect that it will be of the standard of somewhere like Honolulu? If so, why are you not there (singing its praises)? Why are you in Phuket if you dislike the place? If it is getting 'worse evey day', why do you remain? There are some places that I also do not like - Pattaya, for one. But you do not see me on the Pattaya sub-forum mercilessly bagging the place; I simply do not go there (either to the place itself or the sub-forum). What do you hope to achieve by your criticism - you must surely be aware that TiT and things will be as they will be? What are you trying to achieve?

The problem with this type of thread is that it pops up every six months or so when some newby comes to TV, heads immediately to the Phuket sub-forum and launches into an attack on the place (without bothering to see that other newbies have been doing the same thing with monotonous regularity since the board started). In ten years' time, you can guarantee that exactly the same thing will be happening - a thread about how bad the place has become will not be far from the front page. I, for one, accept the place with all of its positives and negatives. Most people do the same. Some people even try to do their bit by getting involved in beach clean-ups, etc. But the majority of people on this sub-forum happen to like the place despite its faults, and can find better things to do with their time than whingeing about how it is far worse today than it was X years ago.

For me, Phuket was a fun place. Despite the poor infastructure, bad smells ect ect, it was fun. Now for me, its hard to have fun there when you are constantly on the look out for scams, minding your p's and q,s so you dont offend anyone. I think the biggest difference is with the Thai attitude, it has changed, they are less friendly and more aggressive. This is why I stopped going.

I have lived in phuket since around 1984 so i feel i can place my opinions here and they will carry weight.

Phuket is NOT what it used to be, ( but where is?) but i would not want it to go back to the way it was.

No fresh milk, no cheese or grocery stores ( the only place u could buy anything western was Sin & Lee) even the bangkok post arrived a day later.

Of course there was only 1 trafffic light between Patong and Phuket town and one could not drive to karon from Patong without going to Phuket town first.

BUT come to kamala in the low season and then go out into the water and look back over the hills/mts and u will not feel that all is bad. I have been many places in my life and still Phuket is as close to Paradise as one would want to be and still have all that Phuket offers. ( note Patong is an exception)

Rather than Paradise Lost i would say Paradise Misplaced in the high season :lol:

Worse? How? The main changes over the years are those that I've listed - development being the major example (which, of course, is a product of tourism and happens at tourist locations around the world). Can you be specific in how you say it has got worse? And are you discounting from those all of the improvements (eg the plethora of restaurants, greatly improved shopping facilities, better roads, better drains)? I fail to see how any of the comments I've made constitute looking through 'rose coloured glasses'. I have not said anywhere that the place is perfect - it is far from it. Bear in mind that we are talking about a tourist destination in Thailand. Do you expect that it will be of the standard of somewhere like Honolulu? If so, why are you not there (singing its praises)? Why are you in Phuket if you dislike the place? If it is getting 'worse evey day', why do you remain? There are some places that I also do not like - Pattaya, for one. But you do not see me on the Pattaya sub-forum mercilessly bagging the place; I simply do not go there (either to the place itself or the sub-forum). What do you hope to achieve by your criticism - you must surely be aware that TiT and things will be as they will be? What are you trying to achieve?

The problem with this type of thread is that it pops up every six months or so when some newby comes to TV, heads immediately to the Phuket sub-forum and launches into an attack on the place (without bothering to see that other newbies have been doing the same thing with monotonous regularity since the board started). In ten years' time, you can guarantee that exactly the same thing will be happening - a thread about how bad the place has become will not be far from the front page. I, for one, accept the place with all of its positives and negatives. Most people do the same. Some people even try to do their bit by getting involved in beach clean-ups, etc. But the majority of people on this sub-forum happen to like the place despite its faults, and can find better things to do with their time than whingeing about how it is far worse today than it was X years ago.

I like your two posts here Ping :jap:

Phuket has developed, some drains have been covered, some roads have been paved. More shopping centers, sour cream and cold cuts available in every supermarket. :)

41 years ago I was in Pattaya, lovely place with palmtrees and monkeys on the beach. Today I dislike it intensely, but why would I need to express that in Pattaya Subforum? Obvioulsy many people like todays Pattaya, so let them do.

Whatever you dislike about Phuket, contribute to solve it. Reduce scams and violence by volunteering as Tourist Police. Clean up traffic by volunteering as Highway Police. Clean up garbage/beaches by organising clean ups :)

Whatever you dislike about Phuket, contribute to solve it. Reduce scams and violence by volunteering as Tourist Police. Clean up traffic by volunteering as Highway Police. Clean up garbage/beaches by organising clean ups :)

We will all get locked up for working without a permit.

For me, Phuket was a fun place. Despite the poor infastructure, bad smells ect ect, it was fun. Now for me, its hard to have fun there when you are constantly on the look out for scams, minding your p's and q,s so you dont offend anyone. I think the biggest difference is with the Thai attitude, it has changed, they are less friendly and more aggressive. This is why I stopped going.

That about sums it up.. I was actually talking to a older Thai woman today and that was her reason for leaving the island also, its not only us that feel it. She even commented on being barked at to 'not park there' which is one that struck a chord with me.

How would I go about changing the naked greed and harsh blunt way Thais act and react on Phuket then ??

I note the suggestion to 'reduce scams by volunteering as tourist police' ?? Yet I was always told that the tourist police was not to police or act against Thai nationals.. Has that changed.

That about sums it up.. I was actually talking to a older Thai woman today and that was her reason for leaving the island also, its not only us that feel it. She even commented on being barked at to 'not park there' which is one that struck a chord with me.

How would I go about changing the naked greed and harsh blunt way Thais act and react on Phuket then ??

I note the suggestion to 'reduce scams by volunteering as tourist police' ?? Yet I was always told that the tourist police was not to police or act against Thai nationals.. Has that changed.

I doubt its changed, You are a volunteer tourist police assistant, you are there to assist in settling disputes and assist tourists with problems.

When i was a member the farang boss insisted you carry handcuffs, batten and pepper spray, thats one of the reasons i resigned

He is no longer in charge so it may have changed.

I doubt its changed, You are a volunteer tourist police assistant, you are there to assist in settling disputes and assist tourists with problems.

When i was a member the farang boss insisted you carry handcuffs, batten and pepper spray, thats one of the reasons i resigned

He is no longer in charge so it may have changed.

I dont know much about Tourist Police, but settling disputes and assisting tourists should reduce scams

Or simply do as the BKK Thais on holiday here, just ignore them. The naked greed and harsh blunt way locals act and react, and the attemted scams. Ignore, smile, keep walking :)

Works for me. For 8 years :D

As Highway Police Volunteers we command traffic actions with all vehicles, operated by Thai or non Thai

As for coming straight to a Phuket forum to share their disdain, pretending it's to help others, I will always find that quite pointless. Perhaps their time could be better spent researching their next holiday.

And how do you suggest honest reactions and evaluations are presented so those next people can research it ??

As 'Stevenl' pointed out recently, too many people confuse their opinions with facts. How will that persons, personal opinion of a holiday, she should quite clearly never have been on, help anyone make any decisions in the future. I personally can't stand beetroot, never have, but if I came on here telling everybody how horrible it was and that everyone should stop eating it, all the people that enjoy eating beetroot would think I was an anoying mental case. And how exactly would that help other people decide weather they liked it or not?

why Bang tao boy..are you always on the defensive about Phuket.. the OP has given in my opinion an honest opinion of what she sees of PHUKET today and she is mostly correct...

I have no problems with people not liking Phuket, that's not the issue. The problem I have is with the mentality and lack of logic of the people posting. People who love Phuket don't come on here and try to convince others to love Phuket and try to persuade them to come and live here. We also don't go on other forums telling those people how bad the area that they have chosen to live in is. If we did, I think you'd find the Pattaya forum would be very different indeed.

This is where the lack of logic comes in. Somone who wants to go out of their way to come to a Phuket forum to share their negative opinion about the place. If your life is so empty and unforfulling that you have the time and inclination to join a forum just to do that, then your problems are much closer to home.

Then of course we have the famous 'rose tinted glasses' phrase that appears in every other post. Again the lack of logic involved is frightening. Not only are these people desperate to tell us how bad somewhere is, but when we tell them that we don't agree, and that we think the place is great, there comeback is that we are deluded, and aren't able to see the truth the way they do.

The undisputed champion of these type of posts, is of course 'LivinLOS'. Here we have a man whose opinion of Phuket has changed over the years, and he doesn't like the way it has changed and is continuing to change, to the point where he moved away. What this poster has never been able to grasp is that the vast majority of people don't agree with him. That is just his opinion and his interpretation of the changes. Yet with frightening regularity, he will come on here and try to tell the world how bad Phuket has got, it's as if he is trying to make himself happier about his own dissenchantment with Phuket by trying to convince others that we should feel the same, and anyone who doesn't feel the same is just deluded.

To the OP and posters like 'LivinLOS' I ask you a simple question. what exactly is it you are trying to achieve from such posts? What exactly is your motivation behind them? Because logically there seems to be no reasonable explanation, other than the well known tactic of people with issues, trying to convince themselves that it's not them that has the problem, but everybody else, in a desperate attempt to make themselves feel beeter by dragging others down to their level. Very sad. :(

To every one who loves Phuket as much as I do, Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year. To the rest of you, try to make a new years resolution, to stop spending so much time telling everybody what you hate, and a little more time finding something that you like. Then maybe you will be as happy as the vast majority of us Phuketians. ;)

Edited by BangTaoBoy

As for coming straight to a Phuket forum to share their disdain, pretending it's to help others, I will always find that quite pointless. Perhaps their time could be better spent researching their next holiday.

And how do you suggest honest reactions and evaluations are presented so those next people can research it ??

As 'Stevenl' pointed out recently, too many people confuse their opinions with facts. How will that persons, personal opinion of a holiday, she should quite clearly never have been on, help anyone make any decisions in the future. I personally can't stand beetroot, never have, but if I came on here telling everybody how horrible it was and that everyone should stop eating it, all the people that enjoy eating beetroot would think I was an anoying mental case. And how exactly would that help other people decide weather they liked it or not?

why Bang tao boy..are you always on the defensive about Phuket.. the OP has given in my opinion an honest opinion of what she sees of PHUKET today and she is mostly correct...

I have no problems with people not liking Phuket, that's not the issue. The problem I have is with the mentality and lack of logic of the people posting. People who love Phuket don't come on here and try to convince others to love Phuket and try to persuade them to come and live here. We also don't go on other forums telling those people how bad the area that they have chosen to live in is. If we did, I think you'd find the Pattaya forum would be very different indeed.

This is where the lack of logic comes in. Somone who wants to go out of their way to come to a Phuket forum to share their negative opinion about the place. If your life is so empty and unforfulling that you have the time and inclination to join a forum just to do that, then your problems are much closer to home.

Then of course we have the famous 'rose tinted glasses' phrase that appears in every other post. Again the lack of logic involved is frightening. Not only are these people desperate to tell us how bad somewhere is, but when we tell them that we don't agree, and that we think the place is great, there comeback is that we are deluded, and aren't able to see the truth the way they do.

The undisputed champion of these type of posts, is of course 'LivinLOS'. Here we have a man whose opinion of Phuket has changed over the years, and he doesn't like the way it has changed and is continuing to change, to the point where he moved away. What this poster has never been able to grasp is that the vast majority of people don't agree with him. That is just his opinion and his interpretation of the changes. Yet with frightening regularity, he will come on here and try to tell the world how bad Phuket has got, it's as if he is trying to make himself happier about his own dissenchantment with Phuket by trying to convince others that we should feel the same, and anyone who doesn't feel the same is just deluded.

To the OP and posters like 'LivinLOS' I ask you a simple question. what exactly is it you are trying to achieve from such posts? What exactly is your motivation behind them? Because logically there seems to be no reasonable explanation, other than the well known tactic of people with issues, trying to convince themselves that it's not them that has the problem, but everybody else, in a desperate attempt to make themselves feel beeter by dragging others down to their level. Very sad. :(

To every one who loves Phuket as much as I do, Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year. To the rest of you, try to make a new years resolution, to stop spending so much time telling everybody what you hate, and a little more time finding something that you like. Then maybe you will be as happy as the vast majority of us Phuketians. ;)

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with disputing anything 'LOS' has to say on these forums. And you go out of your way to prove it to others here. A bit contradictory isn't it?

I don't know the man, or necessarily agree (or disagree) with everything he posts, and same with you and your posts. But there's no need to constantly knock him because you don't agree with what he says. You're both entitled to express yourselves here, and we're all entitled to form our own opinions.

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with disputing anything 'LOS' has to say on these forums. And you go out of your way to prove it to others here. A bit contradictory isn't it?

I don't know the man, or necessarily agree (or disagree) with everything he posts, and same with you and your posts. But there's no need to constantly knock him because you don't agree with what he says. You're both entitled to express yourselves here, and we're all entitled to form our own opinions.

The bloke's made more posts than I've had hot dinners, and his normal posting style is very relevent to this thread, which is why I feel intilted to use him as an example. Yes I do counter argue his posts regularly, that's because he makes so many, and I disagree with nearly all of them. no unhealthy obsession I asure you.

I'm a big fan of logic, and the lack of it, displayed in people coming on a forum, to convince me that I'm not happy in Phuket and that I need my eyes opened to the truth (by truth I mean their opinion) is as annoying and ilogical as can be, and 'LivinLOS' is undoubtedly one of the most prevelent posters of this nature.

I await with baited breath for an answer to my question, as to what they hope to achieve by these posts, because I for one am lost for an answer.

I love living in Phuket...

It has it's issues but thats all part of the charms. The whole point for me is experiencing living in another country - if everything was the same as home but with beaches and sun and spicy food it would be like UK on June 20th 2007 (the last sunny day).

I also would like to add that i love Patong. Patong is like am mosquito trap, it keeps all the pests in one area so that we can choose to join in or not. As for the OP, unfortunately due to the increase in tourism I would say that one has to look a little harder to find some unspoilt areas with welcoming Thais BUT they are there.

One more thing - the driving here is effin scary! Probably the worst i have seen but the same rule applies anywhere...treat everyone like they're an idiot.

The undisputed champion of these type of posts, is of course 'LivinLOS'. Here we have a man whose opinion of Phuket has changed over the years, and he doesn't like the way it has changed and is continuing to change, to the point where he moved away. What this poster has never been able to grasp is that the vast majority of people don't agree with him.

Well as you choose to single me out.. On Phuket I had a social circle of maybe 20 - 30 good acquaintances.. Of that social circle post tsunami its now down to maybe 5, they mostly found the same issues I did, and moved on to other places. Of the 5 or so who are left a couple have either property or tourist related businesses, one clearly dislikes living there when talking privately but of course puts his other hat one while selling property. Another one of the few left has been in touch to get me to send him rental property contacts up here, and another has decided to return to the west next spring.

So only speaking about my social circle, the majority do seem to agree with me.

More will continue to arrive, more of the island will go under the bulldozers and concrete, the roads will have ever greater numbers on them.. Of that I am sure.

I await with baited breath for an answer to my question, as to what they hope to achieve by these posts, because I for one am lost for an answer.

If you remain silent to negative change then it does nothing to stop it, if everyone who got ripped off by the jetskis simply paid and stayed silent do you think the jetskis would do it more or do it less ??

Complaint, is simply the recognizing of a problem, and its by recognizing problems, vocalizing them, finding if others have the same issues, that they get recognized and pressure applied in their solutions. Online media has been a great catalyst for bringing many ugly aspects into the light, and helping to change them.