Uk Benefit Fraudsters... Beware

Crackdown on 'abroad fraud' benefit cheats could save taxpayers £66million

"...Fraud officials at the Department for Work and Pensions have joined forces with overseas counterparts to target British people in countries where the most 'abroad fraud' is carried out.

Benefit fraud hotspots include Spain, Portugal and the U.S., but cases have also been detected in countries such as Thailand and Sweden. "

source: Daily Mail, read full article here

Personally i would not hesitate to grass someone up who's leaching off the UK taxpayer & living in Thailand.. annoyed.gif

About time this scam was addressed.

I've heard of too many Brits living like wretches and claiming benefits in Thailand.

Surely if they are claiming benefits they aren't living like wretches - they are the ones without the money???

About time this scam was addressed.

I've heard of too many Brits living like wretches and claiming benefits in Thailand.

And it's always in papers like The Scum, News of the Screws and Daily Fail that you "hear of" these things.

Not exactly reliable sources, just jingoistic BS propaganda.

And it's always in papers like The Scum, News of the Screws and Daily Fail that you "hear of" these things.

BBC reliable enough for you ? :rolleyes:

Hah, even UK MP's are/have been ' scamming ' the ' tax payer '. :rolleyes:

BBC reliable enough for you ? :rolleyes:

No, just another propaganda machine.

But I notice their article doesn't mention Thailand.

check the press association statement from 12hrs ago.. probably where the BBC & all others get this story from in the first place.. So the BBC omitted the word 'Thailand'.. ? thats simply their typo/editorial error.. but Thailand certainly IS part of this story & investigation..

Grassing people would be beneficial to the State, but since we are expats then it does not benefit us, as no increases in Pensions or anything like that.

If the state offered something in return I think that people would grass others up, but I cannot see it.

Edited by beano2274

I hate grasses.

i hate parasitic scum living it up at others expense, & relish the prospect of bursting their cheating bubble... wink.gif

Bet you wouldn't burst a drug dealers bubble. :ermm:

how'd ya know i already haven't.... ph34r.gif

<deleted>. Key board warrior. :lol:

Grassing people would be beneficial to the State, but since we are expats then it does not benefit us, as no increases in Pensions or anything like that.

If the state offered something in return I think that people would grass others up, but I cannot see it.

its all about whats right, & whats wrong.. simple as that.

benefit fraud is theft.. and i don't like thieves.. bah.gif

My reward, or benefit, for 'grassing' this cheating scum element of expat society will always be just an immense sense of joy & glee... no money required in return.

any right minded, hard working & honest person can't seriously oppose that... wink.gif

Roy I do agree with you, but some of the people in this Forum might be those you might have to grass on.

I personally know someone who is claiming disability benefit, using an address somewhere in Europe but has not been to Europe in the last 5 years, lives in Bangkok, but there maybe many more.

but there maybe many more.

yep.. they could possibly be the "i don't like people who grass.." type responses that may come & go... & that is no intended flame or sly accusation to anyone in particular.. past, present or future on this board.

but this problem angers me.. its theft, they are thieves and they should (& will) be caught. No matter who they are, Thaivisa members or not..

I think it must be quite hard for Brits to wrongly claim whilst living abroad as they should have to regularly turn up somewhere to report or look for work. They must be assisted by friends or family back home. I do admire the new UK government's stance that people should always be better off in work, though.

its all about whats right, & whats wrong.. simple as that.

benefit fraud is theft.. and i don't like thieves.. bah.gif

My reward, or benefit, for 'grassing' this cheating scum element of expat society will always be just an immense sense of joy & glee... no money required in return.

any right minded, hard working & honest person can't seriously oppose that... wink.gif

Have to agree there.But maybe some of them would get more benifits if they were caught and went back..By the way its a big loophole and needs to be sorted....The British government can only tax people on the list as to say who have worked hard to get the money..Sorry off topic there..hey try Chiang rai have met a few fiddlers here over the years...

I hate grasses.

i hate parasitic scum living it up at others expense, & relish the prospect of bursting their cheating bubble... wink.gif

Many from Spain have already been arrested at the airport when going home for this Christmas, and many more warrents will be issued this year for anyone suspected of Abroad Fraud... its repay all moneys or go directly to jail..... no bail and speedy court appearances.... Bring on the dancing bears.... haha

I think it must be quite hard for Brits to wrongly claim whilst living abroad as they should have to regularly turn up somewhere to report or look for work. They must be assisted by friends or family back home. I do admire the new UK government's stance that people should always be better off in work, though.

Actually not, if you reside in Spain you can claim benefits. My friend (who lives in Thailand), sends a request for the doctors letter to a friend of his in Spain, they get the letter, my friend fills the application out here, then again sends everything to Spain, from there it is forwarded to the UK.

It is not just about unemployment benefits, there are many different ones these people collect, such as housing benefits, disability allowance, winter heating allowances.

I did the decent thing and notified the relevant authorities that I was now living in Thailand and no longer wished to claim the Winter Fuel Allowance.

I did get a response, which went something along the lines of, "thank you for your for your claim for the Winter Fuel Allowance but we regret to inform you that as you are no longer resident in the UK you are not eligible for this payment". The letter went on to outline how I could appeal this decision.

I just wonder how many people they employ sending out worthless letters, maybe there is a cost saving there somewhere.

The UK govt dont want to do the honourable thing and give expats an annual pension increase(I am not yet a pensioner) which may make folks think a little about not claiming the heating allowance but it must be mine field to try and stop this type of fraud. What sort of people are employed to try and reduce all this? More employment for Thais and maybe a few envelopes but we dont want to take money out of the Thai economy do we? Especially now the footer friendly with England was cancelled since Thailand voted for Russia after promising to vote for England, cant think why that was, surely no envelope involved? Why would Thailand want to help the UK govt, whats in it for them?

Says they are going to join forces with their counterparts in countries where this is prevalent. Can we expect to see more Volunteer Policemen stooges planted in the parts of the country where possible benefit fiddlers are living?

I think we need to bear in mind that this is the 21st century and the biggest grass or volunteer policemen that causes concern will be the computer. All it needs to do is to have other agencies (immigration, airports etc) programmed to flag up departures by those on long term benefit... linked to their own computers and big brother really will be watching you...it could well be a cause for concern for those who live abroad long term and are claiming certain benefits..

Now I know why the UK Foreign Office is so keen to get as many of its nationals as possible to register under its 'Locate' scheme. If you think that it’s only so they can contact you in case of emergency, then you are on another planet. Read the small print, and be warned that if you do register, Big Brother will be watching you!

Although in principle I do not approve of UK nationals living abroad and claiming benefits, I would never grass on them, simply because the UK government won't play the game on a level playing field and index link pensions paid to its nationals living in, amongst other countries, Thailand. I am several years off UK state pension age, but, until the government increases state pensions annually for all of its nationals, regardless of where they live, I will turn a blind eye to any instances of benefit fraud that I become aware of, not that I've come across any yet

GOOD! never claimed a penny in my life even when I was entitled.My family taught me self respect and to have a strong work ethic along with some pride.To many U.K nationals see it as money you must try to get by any means with out seeing the cost in high taxes and national insurance .A tough stance is needed in many areas before its to late and many think it already is.

GOOD! never claimed a penny in my life even when I was entitled.My family taught me self respect and to have a strong work ethic along with some pride.To many U.K nationals see it as money you must try to get by any means with out seeing the cost in high taxes and national insurance .A tough stance is needed in many areas before its to late and many think it already is.

OK, you are the perfect UK citizen BUT the rest of the poor planet is eager to get into the UK for the free bee's, and many thousands have, thanks to you and me. First sort out that lot, then sort out the natives. :huh:

YOU are keeping terrorists families in luxury, sitting about doing sod all.