Driving License Help Please!

Bruno1982

Hi everyone

I am moving to Phuket in about 2 weeks time. I have just realised that my driving license has expired (didn't previously realize that they could!) and I need to send in with a current photo. This takes about 3 weeks, so don't have time to get hold of my new license before I leave.

What is the likelihood of me being able to drive in Phuket with showing my passport and only a photocopy of my expired driving license?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Choc dee krap

I'm not encouraging you to do this by any means, but I have driven on Phuket on and off for over 10 years without ever having a drivers license on my person. I have never had an international license and even though I have been eligable to get a Thai license for most of that time, have never got around to it. I did always have my UK license at home but never in the car with me and never once been asked to provide it. Worst case scenario, 500 baht fine. And the chances of that happening in the time it takes you to sort out a new license is very, very slim.

If you are planning on hiring a car, then that won't be a problem either, not getting the car anyway, but if you have an accident, then your guess is as good as mine how that will work out. Not trying to sound irresponsible, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I have a friend who use to come to Phuket 4 times a year, he dont have a DL he went down to Chalong police station every morning and tell them he dont have a DL, he pay his ticket and when the police stop him he show the ticket from Chalong and they let him drive on, if this still work i dont know as its a couple of years ago he has been here.

Another friend rented a big bike without DL, we all went with him to Chalong and told the police he lost it "last night" he got a piece of paper saying he lost his DL, think the price was 30 Baht,,,,but dont cheat the BIB ;)

I agree, half a day spent at the driving license office in Phuket Town will see you emerge with a brand new shiny Thai drivers license. Incidently, I just renewed my five year license there a few days ago (you can renew it up to 90 days before it expires)and there were very few people waiting, in and out in two and a half hours.

works fine until you have an accident and insurance want your lisence. No lisence no insurance, and no lisence you are at fault of accident. Expensive

DLT at 0830 and your done with bike at 1130 or bike and car at 1430, with 2 new shiny Thai lisences in your hand valid for one year. For those who think they cant pass the tests, you shouldnt be driving in Thailand at all :lol: :lol:

I always thought you had to be in possesion of an international license first, before you could apply for a Thai one? Or at least have a valid one from your own country.

Two paths: present your overseas license and get a Thai license without needing to take tests, OR, apply as a non-license holder in which case you'll need to take the written test and the driving test.

I always thought you had to be in possesion of an international license first, before you could apply for a Thai one? Or at least have a valid one from your own country.

Two paths: present your overseas license and get a Thai license without needing to take tests, OR, apply as a non-license holder in which case you'll need to take the written test and the driving test.

overseas lisences must be supported by IDP to be accepted, unless its translated to Thai and verified by your embassy

more easy to take the tests

if you are here for more than 90 days, Thai license is required by law. Police may ignore it as they dont check your passport, but insurance will want to see your passport before accepting a major pay out

works fine until you have an accident and insurance want your lisence. No lisence no insurance, and no lisence you are at fault of accident. Expensive

DLT at 0830 and your done with bike at 1130 or bike and car at 1430, with 2 new shiny Thai lisences in your hand valid for one year. For those who think they cant pass the tests, you shouldnt be driving in Thailand at all :lol: :lol:

Agree with the first bit (no licence, no insurance). Don't agree with the second bit (no licence, you are always at fault) as always being the case. You will cop a fine for no licence, but the person at fault will also cop a penalty - that's certainly the way it works if a Thai has no licence but the farang is at fault in the accident. I accept, though, that there's probably no hard and fast rule; the BiB seem to think they have considerable discretion in apportioning blame - but if you get a whammy when you are not at fault, you can always challenge it in court. For some reason, farang seem loathe to do so even if they say they have a very good case to make. (This should attract some comments, but I'd prefer to read from people who have actually taken the BiB on in court, rather than someone who's friend of a friend told him something.)

As to never having had a licence checked, I have had mine requested quite a few times at checkpoints - particularly in Karon. The BiB seem reasonably happy as long as you can show them something that looks like a licence. I must admit that they seemed far more active a few years ago in checking licences than they are these days. Many Thais don't bother with a licence and are prepared to pay the fine on the odd occasions when they're caught (same with quite a few farang).

overseas lisences must be supported by IDP to be accepted, unless its translated to Thai and verified by your embassy

That's interesting, I suppose the rules might well have changed since I obtained my first license some years ago, which I managed to do solely on the basis of having a UK driving license, useful to know. But what's confusing here is that the UK international DL does not include a Thai translation, unless that's changed also? Hmm, note to self, get out more!

but I have driven on Phuket on and off for over 10 years without ever having a drivers license on my person.
:o

Well you said it all there.....

Care to elaborate a little?

Unlike most on here, I wouldn't cry like a baby if I got a 500 baht fine, and start calling the cops dirty. I would deserve it 100%. And seeing as I've never had to pay a fine yet, it hasn't been a bad gamble has it. I have been stopped once or twice, but got waved through after saying my lisence was at home.

but I have driven on Phuket on and off for over 10 years without ever having a drivers license on my person.

Unlike most on here, I wouldn't cry like a baby if I got a 500 baht fine, and start calling the cops dirty. I would deserve it 100%. And seeing as I've never had to pay a fine yet, it hasn't been a bad gamble has it. I have been stopped once or twice, but got waved through after saying my lisence was at home.

whistling.gif

That's interesting, I suppose the rules might well have changed since I obtained my first license some years ago, which I managed to do solely on the basis of having a UK driving license, useful to know. But what's confusing here is that the UK international DL does not include a Thai translation, unless that's changed also? Hmm, note to self, get out more!

each DLT sets its own rules within central governments frame. Each time there is a new PM or Governor, there is a new head poncho at DLT (and all other vital public offices), so new rules

I guess you didn't want to elaberate on that comment then? What exactly was it I said that was so revealing?

Anyway, I can elaborate a little myself, because 4 hours ago I got stopped at a road block going south through Kamala. I opened my window, the cop peared in to the back of the car, saw my wife and kids, (had a load of stuff on the front seat which I couldn't be bothered to move) smiled at them and waved me on. :)

Now with hindsight, my wife was definately with me last time I got stopped, because it was her that told the cop my lisence was at home and I'm fairly sure she must have been with me the first time as well. Had I been on my own with no lisence, I'm certain I would have got a ticket today.

Note to OP. You aren't getting here for two weeks so shouldn't be a problem, but at New Year and other festival times, the police are out in force, I must have been through 6 manned/unmanned check points today alone, so the chance of getting pulled are probably 1000% higher than normal. Still 500 baht fine, it's not the end of the world is it!

I guess you didn't want to elaberate on that comment then? What exactly was it I said that was so revealing?

Anyway, I can elaborate a little myself, because 4 hours ago I got stopped at a road block going south through Kamala. I opened my window, the cop peared in to the back of the car, saw my wife and kids, (had a load of stuff on the front seat which I couldn't be bothered to move) smiled at them and waved me on. :)

Now with hindsight, my wife was definately with me last time I got stopped, because it was her that told the cop my lisence was at home and I'm fairly sure she must have been with me the first time as well. Had I been on my own with no lisence, I'm certain I would have got a ticket today.

Note to OP. You aren't getting here for two weeks so shouldn't be a problem, but at New Year and other festival times, the police are out in force, I must have been through 6 manned/unmanned check points today alone, so the chance of getting pulled are probably 1000% higher than normal. Still 500 baht fine, it's not the end of the world is it!

Its not the fact of a 500b fine that would worry me.. Its the fact insurance would be invalidated, your bail bond would be no use, and that it then becomes a criminal event in case of an accident with far higher possibility for a major negative outcome and cost.

So easy to get, and been here so many years with a wife and kid, yet you risk what could turn into jail and deportation for it.

Its not the fact of a 500b fine that would worry me.. Its the fact insurance would be invalidated, your bail bond would be no use, and that it then becomes a criminal event in case of an accident with far higher possibility for a major negative outcome and cost.

So easy to get, and been here so many years with a wife and kid, yet you risk what could turn into jail and deportation for it.

That's a fair comment about insurance, but going to jail and deportation is a bit drama queenish. I'm a law of averages man, and in that respect, I don't think I've taken any serious risks.

I did say from the start that I wasn't recomending my approach to the OP, but was just trying to give him an accurate idea, of the genuine risks involved in driving on Phuket without a valid lisence.

To be honest, the only reason I have never got around to it, is because I always thought I had to spend a whole day taking silly tests, and just kept putting it off. But according to someone on here, I can get one without taking any tests if I have a lisence already. So whoever that was, thank you, I will definately get around to it soon.

That's a fair comment about insurance, but going to jail and deportation is a bit drama queenish. I'm a law of averages man, and in that respect, I don't think I've taken any serious risks.

I did say from the start that I wasn't recomending my approach to the OP, but was just trying to give him an accurate idea, of the genuine risks involved in driving on Phuket without a valid lisence.

To be honest, the only reason I have never got around to it, is because I always thought I had to spend a whole day taking silly tests, and just kept putting it off. But according to someone on here, I can get one without taking any tests if I have a lisence already. So whoever that was, thank you, I will definately get around to it soon.

any vehicle operator goes to jail if involved in a fatal accident, unless 200.000 baht bail bond is made. 1st class Insurance covers this bail bond, but only for a motorist with VALID drivers lisence. Only Thai drivers lisence is valid here for those who have been here for more than 90 days. Farang involved in a fatal accident and not having valid lisence, jail and deportation is most likely. Each year there are approx 250 fatal accidents in Phuket only. A motorbike rider falling in front of your car and you drive over him, 1st class Insurance and valid drivers lisence is a must

The tests are not silly. They are very simple, but if you cant pass you should not operate a vehicle

Not correct

Any licence printed in English or Thai is acceptable ........ but if there are any codes you must provide a photocopy of the key (usually from Internet)

IDP only needed for non English licences.

Not correct

Any licence printed in English or Thai is acceptable ........ but if there are any codes you must provide a photocopy of the key (usually from Internet)

Not the case in Phuket DLT in November and December, after new head poncho appointed

Not correct

i think that you do in fact require an IDP, not only a foreign licence see here - http://www.thaivisa.com/320.0.html

any vehicle operator goes to jail if involved in a fatal accident, unless 200.000 baht bail bond is made. 1st class Insurance covers this bail bond, but only for a motorist with VALID drivers lisence. Only Thai drivers lisence is valid here for those who have been here for more than 90 days. Farang involved in a fatal accident and not having valid lisence, jail and deportation is most likely. Each year there are approx 250 fatal accidents in Phuket only. A motorbike rider falling in front of your car and you drive over him, 1st class Insurance and valid drivers lisence is a must

The tests are not silly. They are very simple, but if you cant pass you should not operate a vehicle

If this is the case then I will beg your pardons. Although I still believe that it is by no means a certainty, that a scenario like that would always end that way. As you well know, this country isn't famous for its consistency, when it comes to matters of the law. But it would seem however, a far more likely outcome than I gave it credit for, so perhaps a shiny new Thai lisence will be in my pocket sooner rather than later.

When I refered to the tests as being silly, it was to their simple pointless nature I was reffrering, not an inability to pass them. ;)

Not correct

This changes depending on whim.. They refused my UK license but allowed a bought of the internet IDL (not real IDP) !?!

You will get stopped in Phuket that is a certaintly especially if you are in Patong probably looking at once or twice a week...no licence = a fine so get an International or Thai licence

Just to be clear: I've lived in Patong for four years and I've never been stopped and I drive daily around Patong and on to nearby beaches. What you drive and how you drive are important factors, drive a motorbike and yes, you will get stopped a couple of times each week and it will get expensive, drive an open top sports car or an SUV and you're unlikely to have a problem.

Just to be clear: I've lived in Patong for four years and I've never been stopped and I drive daily around Patong and on to nearby beaches. What you drive and how you drive are important factors, drive a motorbike and yes, you will get stopped a couple of times each week and it will get expensive, drive an open top sports car or an SUV and you're unlikely to have a problem.

As I have homes in Phuket and Hua Hin, I have noticed to be stopped and asked for DL more often in HH than Phuket

I've lost count of the number of times I've been stopped in my car at routine police checkpoints. I drive every day from Kata to Patong and back and I expect to have licence checked once a month at the Karon Checkpoint. The Chalong checkpoint and the Kathu Checkpoint are also expected about mid month when the police need to make their fine quota for the end of month 'bonus'.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been stopped in my car at routine police checkpoints. I drive every day from Kata to Patong and back and I expect to have licence checked once a month at the Karon Checkpoint. The Chalong checkpoint and the Kathu Checkpoint are also expected about mid month when the police need to make their fine quota for the end of month 'bonus'.

I live in kathu and have my business in Patong so i cross the kathu police checkpoint on a daily basis.

Sometimes the check point is manned but normally only for scooters and cars with license plates from outside Phuket.

In all those years i'm only stopped once but nothing asked.

I don't drive much around in Chalong so i don't have much experience with that area.

But if you say that you stopped countless times i think it is time for you to ask yourself why they stop you so many times. :whistling: