What Things That Are Overpriced In Thailand Can'T You Live Without?

Jingthing

Nothing I buy is over-priced. If it was, I wouldn't buy it,

Some things are clearly under-priced...and I should be happy to make up the difference

Whinging gits should repeat this,

SC

That may make sense from a purist free market perspective, but that's something that only exists in theories, not in real life. Come on, you're aren't seriously trying to say that a wine that's a "two buck chuck" in the US and is sold for ten dollars in Thailand is not overpriced? I do suppose more wealthy people to whom ten dollars means nothing this isn't really an issue anyway. Such people won't be thinking WHAT A RIPOFF but I want/need it anyway when forking it over.

From the OP --

For the "rich" who don't deny themselves anything based on price, this topic really doesn't apply.

What I am saying is tyhat overpricing is a problem for vendors, not buyers.

That is market economics.

If you pay it, it is not over-priced. It may be competivitively constrained. THat is a different matter,

I pay a pound for a tin of irn bru, though back in the old country it is the same price as pepsi or coke (here it is more than twice the price).

If it was two punds, I would buy less. If it was the same price as coke, I would buy more. Is it over-priced? I don't know, because I have not seen the importer's books, but I trust him to edeavour to sell as much as he can,

SC

Erm, but the question was what is overpriuced that ypu can not live without. If its not overpriced because you are too wealthy to care or if it is and you can walk away, then these items clearly do not satisfy the question - so just submit and empty list!

My dad used to aways quote a wealthy businessman that his father used to chauffer for - the man bought something (a newspaper I think) and was short changed by a shilling and pulled up the seller on it - the seller, looking at his chauffered Jaguar, driver and attire and said "What's a shilling to you?" - to which he replied "Twelve pennies the, same as it is to you." - The point being that rich peoiple don't stay rich giving their money away - and being ripped off, is being ripped off, if you can afford it or not.

If something is too expensive I don't buy it - if it is over-priced, I decide whether its too expensive or my desire outweighs my thiftiness. It doesn't suddenly stop being over priced, because I can afford to buy it!

Somethigs are very overpriced here - and as a Brit, I am used to being sharted on price anyway (must be double hard for the Americans out there that are used to getting goods at reasonable prices). Cheese, wine, real chocolate, decent biscuits, decent tea and coffee and the internet are all over priced here (especially internet for what you get!) - but I still buy them. Also mobile phones - in that they still have this time limited credit nonsense that many countries have outlawed (its theft really!).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting concepts Wolf

I can't think of a thing that are overpriced in Thailand that I can't manage to get for less elsewhere.

Then there are the things that I get FAR cheaper here (including rent on a BIG house in CNX) than I would get back home.

Yes I still import my deodorant and underwear from the USA. I haven't paid duty on it ever ..... (I have my sis wash the underwear before she ships it). I pay about USD30 more than I would in the states but I would have to go to Cambodia to buy the same brand ....

I pay more here for Levi's than in the US but not more than full ticket back home. To balance that I have dress shirts custom made for less than an off the rack shirt back home.

I do miss good Mac and Cheese though!

The price of some stuff like wine isn't this way because of the market, it's expensive because the government has ridiculous taxes on it. Combine excise and duty taxes on wine and you're getting over 300%, which is why even the stuff homeless winos drink back home is expensive here.

The price of some stuff like wine isn't this way because of the market, it's expensive because the government has ridiculous taxes on it. Combine excise and duty taxes on wine and you're getting over 300%, which is why even the stuff homeless winos drink back home is expensive here.

I can't really understand why they can't seem to make consistantly drinkable wine here. Wine is made in many climates all around the world: cold Britain, throughout mainland Europe, Oz, South America and California etc. I bought a box of wine a couple of years ago at a charity thing (actually I won one box in the raffle and bought two more in a charity auction) - it was quite nice. A year later I bought a box of the same stuff from the same Thai vinyard - it was terrible - I mean undrinkably so (IMHO at least).

//Edit: Typos //

Edited by wolf5370

I can't really understand why they can't seem to make consistantly drinkable wine here.

Actually they rarely can make anything which is not original Thai.

Terrible sausages, crap bread even at Villa market..... and you mention wine?

Thai hiso drink really expensive import wines with ice cubes. Quality does not matter here.

I can't really understand why they can't seem to make consistantly drinkable wine here.

Actually they rarely can make anything which is not original Thai.

Terrible sausages, crap bread even at Villa market..... and you mention wine?

Thai hiso drink really expensive import wines with ice cubes. Quality does not matter here.

I didn't mention wine - it had already been mentioned (I had already commented on bread - and as a veggie sausages matter little to me). I was following up a previous post regarding getting wine. The reason HiSo's drink imported wine is because there is no consistantly good stuff at home. Real wealthy people (the REAL HiSo's) will always drink imported drinks and spirits, as they do in the USA, Japan, Europe etc.

Thailand is trying to become a wine exporter (it already is to a tiny extent) having seen what it did for countries like Chille and Argentina etc - they will never compete when 70% of the bottles tasted corked from day one and the price is so high. It is the inability to be consistant in a country with both warmth and plenty of water.rain and imported grapes, to make a consistant drink that I was commenting on. Yes, off topic, but just an aside given the previous posts on wine.

Cheese and Guinness

There are several good cheeses available, but of course it's a matter of which one you like and is not available here. Or only for a price that you consider overpriced.

Guiness, however, is only really delicious in Dublin. Well, let's extend that to all of Ireland. Even on "the continent", it's not the same. Let alone Asia! There are also many German beers I miss, and they really only taste good in Germany. Whenever I'm there, a fresh Jever from the tap is a must on the first evening. Don't blame Thailand for that - the nature of beer is that it doesn't travel well, especially not into the tropics.

Like Guiness, a number of German beers are available in Thailand. Among those, Warsteiner is my favourite.

The reason HiSo's drink imported wine is because there is no consistantly good stuff at home. Real wealthy people (the REAL HiSo's) will always drink imported drinks and spirits, as they do in the USA, Japan, Europe etc.

I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of them drink imported spirits because of the status symbol factor and that they would happily drink wine vinegar if it gave them a buzz and was supposed to be "cool". ;)

I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of them drink imported spirits because of the status symbol factor and that they would happily drink wine vinegar if it gave them a buzz and was supposed to be "cool".

Thailand has "High Society" types who are just as educated, sophisticated, and knowledgeable of the finer things in life and with just as refined tastes as the elites in the west; they know the difference between crap and quality and just like anyone else, prefer the latter.

Are they concerned with status? Obviously (just as your NYC/London/Paris/Sydney snobs are). But it's a huge oversimplification (and one based in a sneering sort of prejudice, no?) to think that there's nothing more to it than that and that they are mindlessly aping what they think would make them look cool -- they are "cool" (by standards applied in MANY countries: rich and stylish etc).

I have no great regard for such people in any country, but it smacks of chauvinism to assume or imply that in Thailand they are somehow not the real thing and/or aren't capable of being authentically "High Society". Guarantee that real Thai Hi-So are of a "higher class" (in the traditional sense of the term -- not one I have much use for) than most Falang in Thailand.

EDITED TO ADD QOUTE

Edited by SteeleJoe

Are they concerned with status? Obviously (just as your NYC/London/Paris/Sydney snobs are).

Actually, was referring to trendy, pretentious types in every country, not just Thais. ;)

Sorry about that. Guess I've been reading so many posts that are all about Thai bashing and many of which have a explicit or implicit message that the Thais are inherently inferior to "us" etc. -- I'm far from an unconditional admirer of Thais and am plenty critical of them and their society, but I try to be fair, objective and accurate and it seems far few posters do (so many of those who aren't bashing are defending the Thais as inherently saintly and superior to westerners -- which is almost as offensive and just as inaccurate if not more so).

Anyway, rest of my comment stands -- the Hi-Sos here are plenty sophisticated (especially as far as supeficial thinsg like spirits and other aspects of materialism) and genuinely enjoy the finer things in life; wouldn't you want to drink fine wine rather than wine vinegar? Why would high society types --from anywhere -- be any different? The only difference from some of us (me, for example) is they can afford the finest.

• 1 month later...

I miss

Quality towels, cotton sheets, pillow cases and duvet covers

Marmite and cheddar cheese (not together of course)

Decent bread

Considering ur in SEA, the bread situation in Thailand is NOT BAD! Better than in Jap land, Taiwan or Korea!

Actually, I think the variety of bread that can be had, without too many problems, is the best in Asia...

• 1 year later...

I miss

Quality towels, cotton sheets, pillow cases and duvet covers

Marmite and cheddar cheese (not together of course)

Decent bread

Considering ur in SEA, the bread situation in Thailand is NOT BAD! Better than in Jap land, Taiwan or Korea!

Actually, I think the variety of bread that can be had, without too many problems, is the best in Asia...

But not better than Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam (Vietnam has GREAT breads), or Cambodia...

ye know...it's hard to know what things are overpriced and what isn't...I was in Philadelphia in 2007 and a pastrami sandwich at a downtown deli was USD10 but it was huge and good for 2 meals; it must've weighed a kilo...I haven't lived in the US for nigh on 25 years so I couldn't say whether the sandwich was overpriced or not and what an equivalent price would be in Bangkok...

as a permanent expat one loses all sense of proportion...the burritos at Taco Bell were smaller and a lot more expensive, I noticed...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

and then in SE Asia and the Middle East I see local people opening packages of Hershey's dark chocolate with almonds to have a whiff and then I growl: 'if ye don't already know what it tastes like then don't start now, ye heathen...'

local barbarism...(and here is tutsi slouching down the streets of Cochabamba with unknown victuals and then the locals they say: 'que es un barbaro...')