What Things That Are Overpriced In Thailand Can'T You Live Without?

Jingthing

US hot sauce

If the sauce I wanted was available, it would definitely be in the 'overpriced but can't live without' column. But I've never seen Tapatio or Cholula for sale in Thailand. All they seem to have here is tabasco sauce, which I hate. I would love to give my money to a store for the convenience of being able to buy it at a supermarket

I've never seen Tapatio or Cholula for sale anywhere, here or in the US -- must be a regional (non US east coast) thing! Foodland sells Frank's, Crystal and Tabasco -- try Frank's, it's good, much better than Tabasco. Villa also sells Fox's which is made in Thailand -- I have a bottle in my fridge, but haven't tried it yet. It's no cheaper than the imported ones, but it may have a different/interesting flavor.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can not live without:

Car (you people who say you can obviously don't have children)

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (for the Thai wife. Not me.)

Can live without:

Pretty much everything else.

I refuse to pay the ridiculous fees for imported items. If I can't make it myself or find a local Thai brand, I do without.

Can not live without:

Car (you people who say you can obviously don't have children)

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (for the Thai wife. Not me.)

Can live without:

Pretty much everything else.

I refuse to pay the ridiculous fees for imported items. If I can't make it myself or find a local Thai brand, I do without.

Like most families in Thailand, I don;t have a car, and find that the taxis are more conveneinet than the parking places appear to be...

I obviously have children, and less obviously, don't have a car, in Thailand.

We make a choice whether to have a car or not, and then gear our life around that choice. Our choice of car ownership drives our life, not vice versa

SC

Like most families in Thailand, I don;t have a car, and find that the taxis are more conveneinet than the parking places appear to be...

I obviously have children, and less obviously, don't have a car, in Thailand.

We make a choice whether to have a car or not, and then gear our life around that choice. Our choice of car ownership drives our life, not vice versa

SC

I think you have it exactly backwards. You buy a car (or anything for that matter) so that you can have the lifestyle you want -- the life you want "drives" your choices, including a decision about a car. You don't (maybe you do, but you shouldn't) make decisions in a vacuum. If, for example you want to live outside the city (because that will make you and your family happy) where public transport is nonexistent, you will need (and buy) a car to make that work (and maybe to get to work so that you can pay for your lifestyle). If your life (or the life you want) doesn't drive your decisions, you're missing out on a lot and your life will be very dull (aka not the life you want). But its your life and your driving (not really sure where), ,so up to you........ If I see a big cameleon (characterized by the ability to change the color of their skin to match their surroundings) on the bus (with his children -- not really sure why it should be obvious that you have kids), I'll know its you.

8><SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

If by "bad neighbourhood" you mean no crimes such as car theft or B+E, I must indeed be living in a bad neighbourhood. I know my neighbours personally, and we have nothing to fear. If this a bad by your definition, well - good for you.

Highways (Express Ways) are overpriced. Compare the fees here to Europe, where the cost of living is much higher but the tolls are lower.

By ''bad neighbourhood' I meant somewhere you could not safely take a taxi.

I have always found the expressways to be excellent value, and almost invariably use them.

You can't really compare Bangkok highways to the highways built by other governments, since they do not follow competitive routes. The measure of overpricing is whether it is sufficient to deter you from purchasing the product or service. If you still persist in using highways, then clearly they are priced at or below market value.

SC

Oh I see, my neighbourhood isn't bad then: It's easy to catch a cab and safe to walk outside.

I use the expressways all the time, and you are right, the service fee (toll) is determined by supply and demand of road surface in Bangkok. This way the companies owning the different stretches make a lot of money. However, I believe that it is a public service and the fees should be controlled like with public transport (buses and rapid transit). Apart from greed, there is no reason to collect tolls higher than in developed, high-priced countries.

8><SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

If by "bad neighbourhood" you mean no crimes such as car theft or B+E, I must indeed be living in a bad neighbourhood. I know my neighbours personally, and we have nothing to fear. If this a bad by your definition, well - good for you.

Highways (Express Ways) are overpriced. Compare the fees here to Europe, where the cost of living is much higher but the tolls are lower.

By ''bad neighbourhood' I meant somewhere you could not safely take a taxi.

I have always found the expressways to be excellent value, and almost invariably use them.

You can't really compare Bangkok highways to the highways built by other governments, since they do not follow competitive routes. The measure of overpricing is whether it is sufficient to deter you from purchasing the product or service. If you still persist in using highways, then clearly they are priced at or below market value.

SC

Oh I see, my neighbourhood isn't bad then: It's easy to catch a cab and safe to walk outside.

I use the expressways all the time, and you are right, the service fee (toll) is determined by supply and demand of road surface in Bangkok. This way the companies owning the different stretches make a lot of money. However, I believe that it is a public service and the fees should be controlled like with public transport (buses and rapid transit). Apart from greed, there is no reason to collect tolls higher than in developed, high-priced countries.

I believe that the road tolls are also government-controlled, and the bidders for the highway contracts either bid against a specified toll, or the contracts are awarded based on the toll that would be charged. I am sure that the government had a say in the raising of tolls a year or two back. The government also controls taxi fares.

If the tolls were lower, then more people would use the highways, they would become over-congested and not worth using. The tolls ensure that congestion is controlled, so that high value traffic (i.e. that for which people are willing to pay a toll) can reach its destination quicker, whereas those with more time than money can use that instead to get to their destination. For my journey to work, I reckon that I paid roughly equal parts infrastructure - rolling stock - labour and fuel (each between 25% and 50% of the total); similar in breakdown to the costs on the skytrain, I believe; the metro probably has much higher infrastructure costs.

I don't actually know how much road tolls are for urban privately-financed motorways in Western countries; though I would be surprised if they were as cheap as Thailand. Singapore's ERP - which is simply a traffic management measure, and not related to investment, greed or profit, is comparable to the Bangkok urban highway tolls; highway tolls in Malaysia are generally slightly lower, though I am not familiar with the highway tolls outside Bangkok. In Bangkok, it might make sense to raise the tolls during certain periods, to encourage cash-sensitive commuters to spread the peak a little. Also a possible suggestion for the MRT, which I believe suffers from a very peaky ridership.

SC

Can't find proper burritos and tortillas.

Gillette clear gel deodorant is HORRIBLY overpriced. I make a trip back to the states and buy a year's supply from Costco.

Have you ever seen "Softscrub" here? same deal, buy a year's worth and bring it back. Same as REAL sponges.

Having said that, I STILL LOVE IT HERE!!!

I gotta disagree about a couple of common items that showed up on people's expensive but can't afford to live without lists...

--Peanut Butter... Yes, the U.S. brands are $6 (180 baht) or more in the stores... And the natural variety, when you can find it, is even more expensive by amount... But there's an easy solution. Make your own... I buy 500g bags of hulled peanuts from Tesco or Foodland for about 35 baht a piece, roast them in my counter oven for about a half hour, then drop into the food processor and whir for a few minutes.... Sometimes add a little oil sometimes not.. Presto... pure, delicious, healthy peanut butter... I start with unroasted peanuts, but I suppose you could skip the roasting step if you started with roasted peanuts from a jar. My version... 35 baht for a 15 oz or so portion of homemade peanut butter.

I never realized it beforehand, but a kitchen food processor has been one of the most useful things I ended up bringing along when I moved... though there are models available here from various stores such as Carrefour and others.... Use the same general method and canned garbanzo beans (66 baht per can) from Foodland for making homemade hummus, meaning it's not too expensive compared to buying in the restaurants or grocery stores.

--Olive Oil - I use in making hummus and other things... Tesco and some of the other stores usually have some variety of 500ml bottles of extra virgin olive oil available for 200 baht or so... sometimes a bit less. That's enough to go a long way, unless you're drinking it of course... At 200 baht for the entire bottle, I don't find that too excessive.

I will agree, however, about the quality of commonly available bedding and cotton sheets here. Pure cr@p, unless you want to go to Central or a similar place and pay a ridiculous 4 or 5000 baht for a set... Anytime I'm back in the U.S., bedding is always a thing I'm thinking if I need to update.... 300 count soft cotton king sheet sets for $40 or $50 (1500 baht or less) if you do your shopping, and easy to carry in luggage. Anything for a comparable price here seems to feel like sandpaper.

I was really looking for something similar for cleaning bathrooms and kitchens, but couldn't find a comparable local solution.

Ended up finding jars of imported Ajax non-scratch powder cleaner at the Central Childom supermarket, 80 baht for a 14 oz. container. That's about $2.75.. The same item in the U.S. probably costs 40 or 50 cents... Last trip back, I brought back a couple of containers of Comet to keep and use for the future.

Have you ever seen "Softscrub" here? same deal, buy a year's worth and bring it back. Same as REAL sponges.

Having said that, I STILL LOVE IT HERE!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno about the shaving cream part, since I bring mine back from the States...

But I just came back from a trip to Villa and Foodland today, and they were crawling with all different varieties of muesli and cheese... and I know they stock lots of sausages as well... Even saw some 8 oz cheese packages imported from California at Villa-Paradise for 105b per package...

Can't live without --

- Real Cheese - Cheddar, Edam, Brie, St Paulin, Stilton, Red Leicester, Wensleydale, etc

- Decent European chocolate (not candy chocolate like Hershey bars)

- Good bread

- Decent coffee

- Fast, reliable Internet

- Decent sandwhich spread (from Heinz)

- Hot water from the shower/taps etc - central heating

- Decent office chair sub 10k that dioesn't fall apart, break or give me a sore arse

- Decent bedding / matteress

Can live without --

- Aircon (not had aircon for a year - don't miss it)

- Western taxes

- Piss poor customer service

- PC Brigade

- Expensive and poor public transport

- Stupid laws and rules that help no one

- Regular rain and snow / sleet / hail / etc

- Expensive fuel (vehicle) and household bills

- I could go on and on and on...

- Decent European chocolate (not candy chocolate like Hershey bars)

- Good bread

The main market at Central Chidlom is having a sale right now, pre Valentine's day I suppose, on Waitrose brand 200g bars of chocolate made in France... I bought a couple bars the other day... 119B on sale.

Likewise, two of the best breads I've found here (for breakfast and toast at least) are the Swiss Walnut and Muesli loaves that the fresh bakery there makes... they'll slice them for free... 500g loaves, I think the walnut is 79 baht and the muesli is 95 baht.

I don't see women on anyone's list... either good or bad. :lol:

I can live without just about anything in Thailand because I know I'll have it when I get back to Canada.

When I'm in Canada I miss my lady friends and evenings playing pool.

I also miss riding around in the hot sun on my motorbike.

In Canada I need leathers and raingear most of the time.

I DON'T miss the long, cold, wet Canadian winters. I can always get some spring skiing when I get home.

When I'm in Thailand...

I miss good TV and the chance to watch North American sports.

I miss the occasional good movie. I can never trust the crap I buy here in Thailand to play on my laptop.

I miss my family (kids and grandkids) but I know I will see them soon.

I miss my trout fishing and salmon fishing in Canada. It's not quite the same with Asian species, and the best fishing is too far away.

I miss my big truck and camper and all of my many boats and rafts.

I DON'T miss having to maintain my big home in Canada. In future I think I'll hire some kid... but kids today don't want to work.

I live in a hotel room in Chiang Mai so I miss my own cooking even though it's cheaper to eat in Thai cafes in Thailand than buy veggies and meat in Canada.

I certainly miss good cheese and good bread. I refuse to pay the import prices in Thailand.

I have all the seafood and venison I could ever hope to eat in Canada and all it takes is one fishing trip to stock up. I'm always giving it away.

I don't see women on anyone's list... either good or bad. :lol:

You are absolutely right! "Women" should have been on my list twice -- Can live without: Western women; Can't live without: Thai women -- after some point I may move Thai women to the "Can live without" column, but it sure hasn't happened yet.....

The Topic was entitled 'What things that are over-priced in Thailand can't you live without' ... do you think Thai women are over-priced? ... and if you are able to 'miss' them for 6 months at a time are you sure that they miss you? ...

The Topic was entitled 'What things that are over-priced in Thailand can't you live without' ... do you think Thai women are over-priced? ... and if you are able to 'miss' them for 6 months at a time are you sure that they miss you? ...

All women are "over-priced" -- as one guy said, "can't live with them and can't live without them. And as Trink used to say, "there are two kinds of women, the "free" kind and the ones you pay for, and in [his] experience the "free" kind are more expensive. I am not going to classify Thai women in any way. And I am not sure of much anymore, but I do get a smile and a kiss when I return home. Doesn't that mean that she missed me? Gee, I sure hope so.............

Good shaving cream

Muesli

Sausages

Cheese

I have nothing to complain about the availability of good sausages and cheeses. While I usually shop at Villa Market, there are also other places in Bangkok where you can get them.

Nothing I buy is over-priced. If it was, I wouldn't buy it,

Some things are clearly under-priced...and I should be happy to make up the difference

Whinging gits should repeat this,

SC

That may make sense from a purist free market perspective, but that's something that only exists in theories, not in real life. Come on, you're aren't seriously trying to say that a wine that's a "two buck chuck" in the US and is sold for ten dollars in Thailand is not overpriced? I do suppose more wealthy people to whom ten dollars means nothing this isn't really an issue anyway. Such people won't be thinking WHAT A RIPOFF but I want/need it anyway when forking it over.

From the OP --

For the "rich" who don't deny themselves anything based on price, this topic really doesn't apply.
Edited by Jingthing

Nothing I buy is over-priced. If it was, I wouldn't buy it,

Some things are clearly under-priced...and I should be happy to make up the difference

Whinging gits should repeat this,

SC

That may make sense from a purist free market perspective, but that's something that only exists in theories, not in real life. Come on, you're aren't seriously trying to say that a wine that's a "two buck chuck" in the US and is sold for ten dollars in Thailand is not overpriced? I do suppose more wealthy people to whom ten dollars means nothing this isn't really an issue anyway. Such people won't be thinking WHAT A RIPOFF but I want/need it anyway when forking it over.

From the OP --

For the "rich" who don't deny themselves anything based on price, this topic really doesn't apply.

What I am saying is tyhat overpricing is a problem for vendors, not buyers.

That is market economics.

If you pay it, it is not over-priced. It may be competivitively constrained. THat is a different matter,

I pay a pound for a tin of irn bru, though back in the old country it is the same price as pepsi or coke (here it is more than twice the price).

If it was two punds, I would buy less. If it was the same price as coke, I would buy more. Is it over-priced? I don't know, because I have not seen the importer's books, but I trust him to edeavour to sell as much as he can,

SC

That is so naive. Thailand and most countries don't operate pure free markets.

Speak for yourself. I buy what I want at a price I am willing to pay and don;t buy things at a price I am unwilling to pay,.

I don't know what you do.... maybe you atre distorting the market for the rest of us...

SC