I'M Always Interested In New Ways To Continue & To Strengthen Mindfulness.

rockyysdt

With another new year upon us, l look back and see that my mindfulness hasn't been as good, nor has progressed as far as l would have liked.

I personally have a very active mind and a weak level of concentration, often finding myself drifting out of self awareness even seconds after refocusing, often spending much time on repetitive thoughts of past regrets or daydreaming of the future.

My resolve is to consolidate my position and build on my faith and past experience of my practice.

I have a number of strategies which include:

• Books on mindfulness.
  • Online Internet Buddhist references.
  • Listening to regular podcast Dhamma talks.
  • Buddhist Forum activity.
  • Buddha statue in my bedroom.
  • Planned future retreats.

I'm thinking of tying a string around my wrist as an added reminder to refocus.

Armed with these strategies, l'd say I'm still nowhere near where l'd like to be in terms of achieving a reasonable level of Self Awareness or Mindfulness let alone progressing to wise Mindfulness, particularly under pressure.

Any insight on techniques others use to strengthen their concentration and/or any personal experiences on this subject would be very much appreciated.

One suggestion I would make is to find a teacher - or kalyana mitta, spiritual friend - who you can work with on a regular basis, checking progress, studying dhamma, asking questions and so on. It's a tough path to walk alone, even with books and forums all around you. I would have given up long ago without the firm guidance of experienced kalyana mitta.

Practicing entirely on one's own, it's easy to get lost in self-reflexive thinking (Pali: papañca).

A Buddhist forum like this is a form of kalyana mitta, but rather weak compared to having someone you can meet with face to face. The common wisdom is that you need at least five years with one teacher to develop a strong foundation. Everyone's different though.

In the end you don't need a teacher but in the beginning and middle stages such a relationship cannot be underestimated IMO. Even a neighbourhood sitting or dhamma study group can be of great help.

One suggestion I would make is to find a teacher - or kalyana mitta, spiritual friend - who you can work with on a regular basis, checking progress, studying dhamma, asking questions and so on. It's a tough path to walk alone, even with books and forums all around you. I would have given up long ago without the firm guidance of experienced kalyana mitta.

Practicing entirely on one's own, it's easy to get lost in self-reflexive thinking (Pali: papañca).

I'll explore suitable groups in my area.

I prefer to stick to Vipassana.

Are centres taught by S N Goenka OK?

Building mindfulness is just like building fitness, it's not about cramming more information it's about repeating the exercises over and over until it becomes habitual and then continuous.

Noticing how unmindful you are is a good start.

From your list only the last item directly contributes to strengthening mindfulness.

I have my own way of approaching it, which you may consider or ignore as you please, which basically is that one needs to let go of one's fundamental notions of self and ownership of thoughts, rather than mechanically try to continue mindfulness all the time. You can't always be mindful, it's just not psychologically possible for a human brain designed evolutionarily to wander in the African savanna. What you can do however is constantly detach yourself from viewing the straying-and-focusing of your mind as the product of your 'self.' The mind is going to do what it wants to do, just let it go... if you find that all of a sudden you're watching TV and slouching on the couch with a beer, don't suddenly think 'oh, I have lost mindfulness', just observe what happened, without necessarily 'you' being the one doing the observing, and try to re-focus. The part of the brain that focuses on mindfulness, I believe, is much more subconscious than most people realize... you could be flaming drunk and in a bar fight and still have that aloft observer, way in the back of your mind, observing dispassionately what your body and brain is doing.

Anyway, in my personal opinion the key above all is to just remain resolute, will is more important than what you're specifically doing with your mind... I'm reminded of a Zen quote:

"Throughout the twelve periods of the day, be like a cat trying to catch a rat, or like a hen holding her chicks under the wings; be ever on the alert, and do not let any intermission take place. While you have not yet attained a penetrating insight, be like a rat gnawing at the coffin; do not let yourself be sidetracked. If you keep on like this, the time will certainly be yours when you will be awakened." -Mozan

I have my own way of approaching it, which you may consider or ignore as you please, which basically is that one needs to let go of one's fundamental notions of self and ownership of thoughts, rather than mechanically try to continue mindfulness all the time. You can't always be mindful, it's just not psychologically possible for a human brain designed evolutionarily to wander in the African savanna. What you can do however is constantly detach yourself from viewing the straying-and-focusing of your mind as the product of your 'self.' The mind is going to do what it wants to do, just let it go... if you find that all of a sudden you're watching TV and slouching on the couch with a beer, don't suddenly think 'oh, I have lost mindfulness', just observe what happened, without necessarily 'you' being the one doing the observing, and try to re-focus. The part of the brain that focuses on mindfulness, I believe, is much more subconscious than most people realize... you could be flaming drunk and in a bar fight and still have that aloft observer, way in the back of your mind, observing dispassionately what your body and brain is doing.

Anyway, in my personal opinion the key above all is to just remain resolute, will is more important than what you're specifically doing with your mind... I'm reminded of a Zen quote:

"Throughout the twelve periods of the day, be like a cat trying to catch a rat, or like a hen holding her chicks under the wings; be ever on the alert, and do not let any intermission take place. While you have not yet attained a penetrating insight, be like a rat gnawing at the coffin; do not let yourself be sidetracked. If you keep on like this, the time will certainly be yours when you will be awakened." -Mozan

Thanks for your inspiration S.

Very much appreciated.

I have mainly been a student of the Mahasi Sayadaw method of Vipassana so I would recommend.... noteing....

Note your ass off....day and night....every second of the day....every thought action feeling mood etc.

Thanks Fred.

I must admit, even though still with poor concentration, l find myself observing (noting) many times.

I often observe how my minds works (judgement, association, memories).

An example of the way my mind associates things is:

When l see your posts I associate them with a long haired American dude guy who used to ride Harley Choppers.

I know you've seriously moved on but it's a reflection of how my mind works. :)

PS: What is specific about Mahasi Sayadaw technique?

Edited by rockyysdt

I have never had long hair since I went into the army at 15 straight from school.... but I rode choppers for the five years I lived in Chiangmai... and I'm a Brit. :blink:

Mahasi Sayadaw started the most popular style of Vipassana which uses noteing 'rising/falling' and six-step walking meditation, practiced at many meditation centres in Thailand and Burma. Wat Mahathat, BKK... Wat Amphawan, Singhburi.... Wat Rampoeng, CM.

The Luang Por Thong centres of Wat Rampoeng, Wat Chom Thong, Wat Doi Suthep, in CM use a style built upon this technique...adding mindful prostration and 26 points around the body to be examined.

I have never had long hair since I went into the army at 15 straight from school.... but I rode choppers for the five years I lived in Chiangmai... and I'm a Brit. :blink:

A perfect example of how the mind can delude or can lead us to wrong view.

Association:

Harley = American.

Harley = Long hair rebel.

Harley = Chopper.

Thanks for correcting my minds image.

Mahasi Sayadaw started the most popular style of Vipassana which uses noteing 'rising/falling' and six-step walking meditation, practiced at many meditation centres in Thailand and Burma. Wat Mahathat, BKK... Wat Amphawan, Singhburi.... Wat Rampoeng, CM.

The Luang Por Thong centres of Wat Rampoeng, Wat Chom Thong, Wat Doi Suthep, in CM use a style built upon this technique...adding mindful prostration and 26 points around the body to be examined.

Is there a website detailing the technique?

• 2 weeks later...

rockyystd,

Let me share a little of my knowledge. I am not sure what you mean by "mindfulness" but if the "mindfulness" you want is like Buddha's, then DETACHMENT is the first step. Without detachment, we can have all the theories for it but can never achieve the experience enough.

I have been thinking of how to "improve" Buddhism for years. I wanted to be a Buddha(yes I am ambitous here, but why not ?) but without giving up my desires. I thought I can help others and contribute to others as much as the Buddha did but I realise now, you can never achieve it without sacrifices.

This is the main reason why "monks" must have those rules and conditions. Buddha was brilliant.

Also not to forget 2500 years ago, the world is very simple, less things, smaller and less thoughts and activites to occupy our mind. Thus the "energy-traffic" in the universe and our environment is more pure and less congested. Thus, easier to connect to the "other" or "inner" world(which is even smaller than micro or cosmic) and Buddha can find, feel and felt many things and visions that others don't. Of course this is very complex and one must understand and accept science and quantum physics well to understand it. This is not something to believe but to understand...I will try to start another thread solely on this next time.

In order to achieve that, the mind must be very pure. Thus, during yoga or meditations, one must concentrate and not think of anything else. This is how many of Buddhism theories come about.

Having more also mean losing more eventually.

Chasing more will make chasing never ends.

By not chasing anything, they will come to your mind eventually.

Happiness will end with sadness.

Possessions will end with losing.

Only contentment has NOTHING to lose.

I have studied many things in a scientific way but I don't know how to link or explain them in Buddhism well as I have NEVER attended any Buddhism class..

BTW, what are those wats you guys are talking about ? I am going to Bangkok and Chiang Mai soon. I may be interested to visit or attend their classes. Can you recommend me some place ? I also wish to share all my knowledge to someone who can make better use of them.

Regards,

Edited by healthcaretaker

Let me share a little of my knowledge. I am not sure what you mean by "mindfulness" but if the "mindfulness" you want is like Buddha's, then DETACHMENT is the first step. Without detachment, we can have all the theories for it but can never achieve the experience enough.

The word "detachment" conveys the wrong meaning, detachment speaks of disinterest, uncaring, uninvolved, unaware. This is the opposite of what you want.

Non-attachment is what you want, this is where you are neither attached nor detach, where you are fully engaged and aware without craving or clinging.

The word "detachment" conveys the wrong meaning, detachment speaks of disinterest, uncaring, uninvolved, unaware. This is the opposite of what you want.

Non-attachment is what you want, this is where you are neither attached nor detach, where you are fully engaged and aware without craving or clinging.

I understand what you mean but I use "detachment" here because I find rocky is already so knowledgeble and "mindful" and yet he wish to do more. I take for granted he is not a monk now so if he wish to achieve more, he will need to detach and make some sacrifices like Gautama did. Just my way of explaining but I think you understand.

Edited by healthcaretaker

I understand what you mean but I use "detachment" here because I find rocky is already so knowledgeble and "mindful" and yet he wish to do more. I take for granted he is not a monk now so if he wish to achieve more, he will need to detach and make some sacrifices like Gautama did. Just my way of explaining but I think you understand.

So you're saying it's good to use words that convey the wrong meaning because those in the know will understand anyway, too bad for the rest reading it?

So you're saying it's good to use words that convey the wrong meaning because those in the know will understand anyway, too bad for the rest reading it?

No, that is not the way I wanted it. "Detachment" is the correct word in my message while "non-attachment" as you mentioned is right for the general Buddhism practice.

• 4 months later...

Hi to everyone!

Being new and all, I just wanted to share my story. I am a normal working employee, I wake up every morning, get ready, go to work, meet deadlines, then go home. During weekends I do my laundry or meet with friends. Basically, I am a normal person but recently I have found that I have been living my life all according to a routine, and have found that I am lost in my own routines! I do not know who I am anymore! My close friends suggest that I try meditation, learning from within and who I am inside. I just wanted to know if there are anyone else who has experienced the same and how you got through this? I think I am in my quarter life crisis and will appreciate much help as i can get! thanks very much!

Dear peanutbutter...

meditation is for everyone, not just the chosen few, but it isn't really about relaxing and feeling good (massage is good for that) it is hard work.

Learning meditation from a book is to be avoided as it cannot correct you nor can you ask it questions. An intensive retreat is the best way to make progress and we all want to make progress because that encourages us to do more, which makes more progress.......

In my daily life I (also) have long stretches of time I forget to be mindful.

One technique I use is to create a "bell of mindfulness". For instance, when I work with wood work tools I regularly don ear protectors. When I do this I breath in/out 3 times mindfully. Many of these "bells of mindfulness" are possible. In this way you will daily regularly be pulled back from forgetfulness.

I find this is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...