Two Romanians Arrested In Bangkok In Transnational ATM Fraud Scam

webfact

Two Romanians arrested in transnational ATM fraud scam

med_gallery_327_1086_5231.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 6 -- Two Romanian suspects were detained in the Thai capital for alleged involvement in a transnational counterfeit electronic ATM card syndicate, Central Investigation Bureau deputy chief Pol Maj Gen Panya Mamen told at a press briefing on Thursday.

Vint Danail, 25 and Roatis Sergiu Virgil, 24, were apprehended in Yaowarat, Bangkok’s Chinatown, while using counterfeited electronic data cards to withdraw cash from Thai automated teller machines (ATMs).

Police searched the duo’s hotel room in Bangkok and seized 366 forged ATM cards, cash valued at Bt130,000 (about US$4,300) and a set of electronic devices for storing card data.

The suspects said that the head of the transnational ATM fraud gang was a native of Scotland and that the data stored in cards was skimmed from British victims. The suspects were to receive a 10 per cent share from the withdrawn money.

According to the press briefing, the crimes committed by this syndicate caused losses totaling at least Bt14 million ($467,000).

Initially, the two men were charged with possessing devices for forging electronic bank cards and using forged electronic cards. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-01-06

They'll be OK once they've held in-service training sessions for the Police Pension Fund Committee along with demonstrations at the city's ATMs.

Believe it or not by co-operating and not wasting that valuable commodity - Police Time - they could be given community orders to serve out as way of punishment. It's a way of paying back the community for the damage done.

It's just that it'll be a Police Community that gets the 'pay back' each time the pair are taken to an ATM and told to empty that one.

With 366 forged cards to work through and a cash sum of 134 k baht already banked I think the Police will add a couple of noughts onto the 134 before the community has adequately been served.

Thank goodness they've stopped this Romanian - Scottish crime ring. I wonder how they met up? May be the Romanies called at the Glasgow tenement doors flogging clothes pegs and Scot's Jimmy had a better idea, like: 'Hey why don't we all fly out to Bangkok and start an ATM scam from English bank accounts that'll be shut down automatically as soon as the money goes out between a morning's tank of petrol before the rush hour and a 20 k baht withdrawal half way round the world 10 minutes later?

'Mmmmmmmmmmmmnnn good idea' said Vint.

'Go with it!' enthused Roatis.

'I'll pack me bag' shouted Jock.

The pegs were left there and then on the door step and they all sped off to Bangkok on the next available jumbo.

Meanwhile the pair have given Police a description of the Scot involved. He is described as having red hair with matching beard, long socks and a kilt, a Celtic scarf and a Rangers shirt. He answers to the name of Scot's Jimmy, likes a drop of whisky and likes nothing more than tossing his caber.

Well, we've got something in common then.

Next: International Antique Meat Pie smuggling ring busted: a tale of the Butcher, the Baker and the Candlestick maker.

Don't the streets feel safer?

I actually don't find his 'comedic' posts that funny, especially when they take the focus in the NEWS forum.

Pull your head out of your a** anything to lighten up our day has got to be good, and I am Scottish ... with Red Hair a Red beard and wear my kilt as often as I can..!! Oh right Jimmy..!!!

Hi Guys,

"Vint Danail, 25 and Roatis Sergiu Virgil, 24,..."

Danail is not a romanian name. Probably Daniel.

Sergiu Virgil is a romanian name but Roatis no chance!!!

-

Cheers.

Looking at it they've got Roatis as a Christian name instead of a surname and vice versa with Virgil

Cops nab Romanian fraud suspects

By The Nation

Police have arrested two Romanian men for allegedly stealing Bt14 milllion from ATM machines in Bangkok using hacked PIN information they obtained from banks in the United Kingdom.

Roatis Sergio Virgil, 24, and Vint Danial, 25, were arrested last week allegedly in possession of 366 fake ATM cards, a card decoder, a computer notebook and Bt131,000 in cash. Police said they admitted to stealing Bt14 million from ATMs in Thailand before sending the money to the UK in return for 10 per cent commission.

Police are looking for three Thailandbased foreign accomplices implicated by both suspects who worked with those in the UK who hacked PIN data from commercial banks in England and Scotland. The money was sent to the UK in plain parcels.

Danial was arrested last week after withdrawing money from several ATM machines in inner Bangkok. He implicated Virgil as the accomplice who obtained the PIN details sent from the UK. The arrests were made at the request of UKbased police.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-07

Hi Guys,

-

Cheers.

Looking at it they've got Roatis as a Christian name instead of a surname and vice versa with Virgil

Well they did say transnational - maybe Roatis is a Latvian born in Scotland pretending to be a Romanian, and Danail is a Serb born in Scotland pretending to be a Romanian.

The Romanians get such bad press these days, really unfair, don't you think?

My English ATM cards get automatically frozen every time I visit another country and first use them. In fact their card fraud department are so used to me calling them to unfreeze my card that they recognise my voice I no longer need to prove who I am.

I never have this problem with my Thai ATM card, this should tell you something.

My English ATM cards get automatically frozen every time I visit another country and first use them. In fact their card fraud department are so used to me calling them to unfreeze my card that they recognise my voice I no longer need to prove who I am.

So they've got a single member of staff manning the phone lines who just happen to be your sister. Where's that? Bank Of The Shetland islands? :D

Edited by mca

Haha Housepainter. you paint a good picture with your pen.

Yep you are right and this gentleman is making my New Year....

keeps it up...

Thanks the Thai policemen who caught these Gang members. I wonder what will be next after these guys?? Recently, the 3 high school near my house found bags of 40,000 US dollars and they turned out the Robbers threw these bags of money near the bushes. The students turned money to the policemen and the crime lab was able to find DNA from the bags. Now these robbers will go to jail while the 3 students will attend fancy private colleges for doing good thing. Take a pick?? my take and opinion.

Edited by ryladie99

It seems like the scum of the earth just gravitate to Bangkok.

a bit more of a year ago five or so Romanians were caught for the same crime in Singapore.

Jailed for 5 years and over. Silliporeans dont mess around with this stuff. no compromise, no tea money and no ways to make jailtime funtime over there.

Not sure if these guys are to be called scum though. quite high tech stuff they do, pretty harmless as they rob from the banks and insurance companies who are the biggest thieves anyway.

Edited by vincentc

Hi Guys,

-

Cheers.

Your name seems to be romanian, that's why i dont understant why you say Roatis cant be a romanian family name: i am not romanian, but i have here a list of people from almost all nationalities and ALL named Roatis are romanian...

I actually don't find his 'comedic' posts that funny, especially when they take the focus in the NEWS forum.

Pull your head out of your a** anything to lighten up our day has got to be good, and I am Scottish ... with Red Hair a Red beard and wear my kilt as often as I can..!! Oh right Jimmy..!!!

Well, I'm HK Scottish and I don't find the "humour" funny.

I don't really get why the "humourist" thinks it's English Bank accounts being raided. The only English retail bank left is of course Barclays since HSBC, TSB, and RBS are largely Scottish, like the Bank of England 555

Not for nothing but Pattaya is a awful city to visit and certainly lives up to the Thai nickname for it of "The Dead City". Thailand is a wonderful place and Pattaya was no angel 30 years ago when I first visited but on subsequent trips to that city? It is where many low life seem to find each other. Not everyone is tainted with same brush (I need to make that comment) but for the most part I know I am accurate.

Quick Bakseedaa. There's a bloke just dropped a 5 baht coin outside the 7-11 near the Chareoen Thani hotel in Khon Kaen. If you hurry it might still be there. PM me for directions as I know as a Scot you're too tight to buy a GPS system. :D

Edited by mca

I'm Romanian but I come from Moldova. I have lived for five years in Thailand and it is not the first time when I hear that Romanians are involved in ATM scams. So far I have heard four times. That doesn't look good for my fellow brothers. If they broke the law then there should be no mercy, they should be charged according to the Thai law, period.

Edited by Thunder26

Well, I'm HK Scottish and I don't find the "humour" funny.

I don't really get why the "humourist" thinks it's English Bank accounts being raided. The only English retail bank left is of course Barclays since HSBC, TSB, and RBS are largely Scottish, like the Bank of England 555

cool, mmmm HSBC? Hongkong and Shanghai Bank think you mean HBS Halifax Bank of Scotland

So good Scotsman if he is getting 90 percent for sitting a home,mind you could be a foreign national here in Scotland running the ring.

OH and Bank of Shetland in England, who ever said that must have missed out on geography lessons. or follow this link http://www.shetlandtourism.com/

cheers :o)

It seems like the scum of the earth just gravitate to Bangkok.

a bit more of a year ago five or so Romanians were caught for the same crime in Singapore.

Jailed for 5 years and over. Silliporeans dont mess around with this stuff. no compromise, no tea money and no ways to make jailtime funtime over there.

Not sure if these guys are to be called scum though. quite high tech stuff they do, pretty harmless as they rob from the banks and insurance companies who are the biggest thieves anyway.

in Thailand they will face 7 years if they do not plead guilty, 3.5 if they plead guilty BUT they are usually face one count/charge for every time they used a card....usually the Scottish guy is Thai and promises the guys doing the leg work to "get them out".

Once they are "in" they learn how the police and courts file the additional charges slowly. Their names are called, they are chained up, and off they go to court and have another potential 7 year conviction.

Often they meet fellow "workers" while waiting a year or two in jail before being convicted.

The "workers" are often amateurs, but these guys may be professionals who failed to do their homework about legal penalties in Thailand.

The 10% commission sounds ridiculous, but they may be following the "script" written by the director.

Sounds like a set up as who would be "innocent" enough to have the cards, money and tools in one place.

These Romanians must be pretty smart to operate in Thailand without Thai associates.

Perhaps you have heard of Thai girls fraudulently using their boyfriends' cards. Most guys pay the bills rather than file a Police Report thansee their girlfriends face legal action. The police are usually willing to cooperate along with the card companies and retailers. The user would face one charge for every time the card is used.

I'm Romanian but I come from Moldova. I have lived for five years in Thailand and it is not the first time when I hear that Romanians are involved in ATM scams. So far I have heard four times. That doesn't look good for my fellow brothers. If they broke the law then there should be no mercy, they should be charged according to the Thai law, period.

hey Moldova is a great place and I look forward to visiting there again...good luck and I hope you are enjoying Thailand!