World Pizza Council Revokes Pizza Company’s Use Of Word ‘Pizza’

Boater

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aussie pizza is the best, much better than the US version!

Just arrived back in OZ and on the way home from Brissy airport had a pizza "to die for". ;)

I have tried and failed to find decent pizza anywhere in Asia.

Satire or not, this is still fun. :o

My wife makes the odd pizza at home...they should definitely sue her!

And why not bake your own pizzas?

Nothing can beat a freshly made pizza, with all your favourite ingredients.

Same goes for bread.

And for thai food - that is,if you have a thai wife.

Not sure about bargirls - but maybe they can bring drinks.

Cheers.

It is clear that many readers do not understand thew word SATIRE.

Here is a dictionary definition:

"the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc. "

It has been said that, " satire first make people laugh, and then make them think"

They understand it is just nice to have something funny to talk about instead of all the doom and gloom that is usually reported on.

A buddy of mine bought a Pizza Company, and I had to sit through the grand opening. It reminded me of that old US tv show Fear Factor where the contestants had to eat all sorts of horrible concoctions like pureed bugs or such.

My wife makes the odd pizza at home...they should definitely sue her!

And why not bake your own pizzas?

Nothing can beat a freshly made pizza, with all your favourite ingredients.

Same goes for bread.

And for thai food - that is,if you have a thai wife.

Not sure about bargirls - but maybe they can bring drinks.

Cheers.

Never had the Odd Pizza, my mrs is only capable of making the inedible kind. (sorry dear, love you)

I order them because they can be delivered to your home but I'm always dissatisfied and disappointed with the taste and quality.

but there isn't many options for home delivery food.

McDonalds is sh*t

Burger King don't come to my area

and although Subways are delicious and healthy they aren't what's always on my taste buds menu.

I know about JJs but they severly p :annoyed: ssed me off so I fired them

P.S. no I'm not fat :D

How do the delivery girls compare?

After all, there is no obligation to eat the food they deliver.

haha ... good question. but they are always young lads,

50% of them are very camp gay boys and they knock on the door and shout through it "Yooo hoooo pizza come":emot-kiss:"

it's funny how they all differ with their delivery styles.

Some stand to attention and announce at the top of their voice "oyez oyez oyez mr randee pizza come .... ":intheclub: and they continue to state loudly the exact contents you ordered - most embarrassing.

others kind of do a theatrical show delivery, with a huge friendly smile and they will present you with an open box to show you the food you ordered :guitar: (which isn't good because all the heat escapes)

the best ones are the ones who just hand you the food humbly and ask for the money.

They all give a smile and bow when you give a little tip :wai:

bless em. they are all working and trying hard. :thumbsup:

never yet had a delivery girl. but thats cool because when i stay home alone with pizzas it's normally to recover from last nights antics with a girl and recover my "power" ;)B)

Edited by Randee

:lol: Guess they will have to rename it "Not the Pizza Company"

haha..

but there pizza'a are a disgrace, taste horrible !! and for the price they charge you can go to an Italian restaurant and get a ' real ' pizza .............

...or The Company Formerly Known as the Pizza Company.

The stuff they and Nick the Pizza sell bears little resenblance, in appearance or taste, to REAL CHICAGO PIZZA, the true benchmark for all pizzas.

Sounds like the the Italians are well and truely taking the Pizza here! For gods sake pizza is pizza. How often do you see "design / make your own pizza from these incredients. Who gives a flying pizza if someone puts thai or chinese flavours or foods on their pizza? Did the indians moan when the Brits bastardized curry to make the British taste bud? Of course not! Wise up Pizza controllers and just be hap[py that they eat pizza in Thailand.

I got the satire right away, but actually the ideas in the article have merit.

Here's an example of businesses raping products and being honest about it.

In the US there is a segment of the burrito market called WRAPS. These are sandwich type thingies with non-Mexican fillings such as Thai chicken and peanut sauce but wrapped in a large flour tortilla, as a burrito would be. They had the integrity not to call those horror shows burritos. Of course not all places selling WRAPS are so honorable, and they continue to use the word burrito.

Edited by Jingthing

I got the satire right away, but actually the ideas in the article have merit.

Here's an example of businesses raping products and being honest about it.

In the US there is a segment of the burrito market called WRAPS. These are sandwich type thingies with non-Mexican fillings such as Thai chicken and peanut sauce but wrapped in a large flour tortilla, as a burrito would be. They had the integrity not to call those horror shows burritos. Of course not all places selling WRAPS are so honorable, and they continue to use the word burrito.

Got to hand it to you JT, with the Pizza Debate dying down, you know how to segway the Mexican into the thread to stir up 40 more posts. Are you on commission from George :lol:

haha..

but there pizza'a are a disgrace, taste horrible !! and for the price they charge you can go to an Italian restaurant and get a ' real ' pizza .............

and the crab sticks are made from shark meat with a synthetic crab flavor

It is a question of taste. Some like, some don't.....

Not really mate. Their pizzas are absolute garbage.

haha..

:cheesy: I love the suggested new name ; Circle of Krup

:thumbsup: That gets my vote.

In 2007 I took my wife to the US, her first trip. Upon introducing her to pizza there, she drooled while she ate and said " Deeeeliciiiious. Thai pizza is shiiiiit"

...and we the Belgians, owners of the largest beer brewing company in the world and brewers since the days of Julius Cesar will sue the Singha Brewery if they still continue to call the stuff they brew "beer"

:thumbsup: That gets my vote too. :clap2:

Does Pizza Company sale outside of Thailand?

Does World Pizza Council has any ruling in what Thai companies call their products?

As for the taste, I find it better than Pizza Hut.

They are both plastic food and tasteless. The Pixzza Hut went belly up in Australia . Broke and closed down yrs ago

"the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc. "

It has been said that, " satire first make people laugh, and then make them think"

Its workinggggggggg

haha..

It is a question of taste. Some like, some don't.....

Not really mate. Their pizzas are absolute garbage.

No, for me Pizza Co is the best in Thailand, based on 9 years of taste testing. In the US they have the same combinations of toppings and crusts. If someone doesn't like it, they can go elsewhere.

haha..

please indicate one single restaurant on samui that makes a good pizza. i've tried at least two or three dozen restaurants that claim to make pizza with no luck. the italian restaurant pizzas are pathetic. so many pizza ovens on the island and nobody knows how to use one.

It's about keeping a national product honest to it's origins, and I'm surprised they haven't applied for a world-wide copyright as Harris Tweed, various alcoholic drinks etc. It'll be difficult to find an alternative word for 'Pizza', but maybe 'Not Italian Pizza' maybe 'Pasta Hut' or 'Pissa'? (Since what is passed of as Pizza, is certainly taking the 'Pissa'!

The US has certainly 'abused' many foreign products, and I suspect if someone outside the US decided to do the same thing with a truly US American product, that region would kick up just as big a stink!

It's amazing how many people don't recognise satire even when an article is headed 'SATIRE'. Get yourselves an education by perusing the Not The Nation website, whose link is at the bottom of the story.

The Pizza Company began when a certain expat entrepreneur called Heinecke got in a dispute with Pizza Hut and lost the Thailand franchise he had held. In revenge, he set up The Pizza Company, to be a rival. Even though its stuff is even worse than Pizza Hut's already appalling products, his company has been a success.

Such is Thailand and such is the ability of American-style fast food joints to please a people whose own food is far far superior to American food. Even a poor fried rice is way better food than a US-style pizza.

Then why is it that more than half the posters here are neither laughing nor thinking? rolleyes.gif

Because they're too stupid.

Pizza is generic and thus is free for everyone to use. This is quite a bit different to say Wensleydale cheese or Parmigiano-Reggiano which are protected as appellations of origin. So while you can make these cheeses outside the areas indicated by their names, if you do so commercially, you cannot label them with such appellations. For the latter you would use parmesan cheese and for the former who knows.

Apparently, pizza did not even originate from Italy, the base being of middle eastern origin.

Perhaps a more suitable headline would be along the lines of "Minister of Thai Public Health up in arms about Thai kids being fed with crap disguised as pizza". :D