Best Transport To Bkk For A Daytrip?

manarak

Soon I will have to organize a daytrip from Patts to BKK for 6 persons (including me), of which 2 are children and 2 are elderly people.

here are the options I thought about:

- car: I've got a car, but is it worth the hassle? is there a good parking place near central bangkok but still away from the jams where to leave the car and change for another means of transport, for example BTS? Park and ride?

- train: never took the train from Patters to BKK, is that a good option? I'd also have to use the car to get to this station.

- public bus: the Pattaya bus station is inconveniently located for me, as I will have to drive there by car, but I haven't seen a car park anywhere near the station?

- private buses: are there private buses doing PTY-BKK and which preferably stop near the BTS?

other suggestions?

(1) Take the public pattaya Bus station to Ekamai. Then at Ekamai, you literally only have to walk around the corner to get to the elevated BTS station. Of course the BTS does not go every place you may want to see. For example, it really doesn't get close to the DUSIT zoo which is a nice play to visit in my opinion.

Parking at the pattaya bus station is a good question. I don't drive when I am there so not sure what to do with a car.

(2) Book with the BELL bus company. They will send a minivan to wherever you want to be picked up. Use your car to pick up your people and get them all over to your house, then wait for the Bell bus minivan to come and take you to the Bus station. Or just let Bell mini-vans round up the people and take them to the Bus station for you. Might be better to round up your cats in advance to be sure you have everybody.

I have only taken the BELL bus from Pattaya to the airport and vice versa, so I am not sure where the BELL bus goes when it goes to BKK and not the airport. But I believe at either end of the trip the BELL mini van will drop you off where you need to go. So I would think they can get you to a BTS or some other landmark in BKK.

Give em a call and ask.

The Queen Vic mini bus is good. There and back for 2000 Baht including tolls etc, and a very good driver well worth the money. I use it every time I go to BKK for the day

Is that for the van, or per person?

If per person, a taxi would be cheaper at 800 to Bangkok, 1200 return.

Going to the airport and back on the Bell bus seems the best option, with the minivan pick up and drop off. From the airport, it's the airport rail link, NOT the Skytrain to connect with the Skytrain at Phaya Thai station. 200 bht each, each way.

If taking the bus to Ekamai, you can get off at On Nut to save time, but coming back go to Ekamai. 113 baht each, each way

The train takes ages- not a good option. Cheapest though.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

• 1 month later...

I finally did my BKK daytrip.

I am not unhappy of the solution I chose.

Maybe this info will help others.

I rent a car in patts for 1000 baht and drove to BKK.

I took road #7 then #3 (Sukhumvit), avoiding toll roads.

Traffic was ok, save for a small intermittent 30 minute jam from Bitec to On Nut. No problems on the way out.

It took me a bit under 2 hours to get there, and 1h30 for the way back.

At On Nut, I left the car at Tesco (3 hours free, then 50 baht per hour).

I stayed 7 hours, so I had to pay 200 baht.

Then jump onto Skytrain to roam BKK.

Glad your trip was a success.

I just wanted to tell you that there is Parking at the Pattaya North Bus station, I park my car in the Car Park regularly.

It is undercover and supervised 24 hours a day, 30 bt per day..

The car park is directly at the side of the Bus station with a restaurent at the front, the motorcycles park at the very back, and the cars are undercover, the helpful guy at his desk shows you where to park up.

Just so you know for the future, it's very good.