Marry In The Uk Or Thailand

Hi All

Me and my GF are in the process of looking to obtain (for her) a settlement in the UK. The question is, what is the easiest route to take? I hear many people who take the Thai option and fly out get married, do the paperwork all within a few weeks, but what i don't hear alot of is applying for a fiancé visa to marry in the UK. Is there a reason for this?

We are both looking for the easiest way to get round this mountain of bureaucracy and jumping through hoops process so your help and advice on this is appreciated and much needed.

Also my GF is currently in the UK on a visit visa.

Also will the ECO accept pictures on a CD/DVD?

Thanks

Edited by boarbaboon

The procedure and evidence required for a fiance visa is the same as that for a spouse visa; except for a fiance visa you need to show that you have made plans to marry in the UK and for a spouse visa that you are already married.

See:-

Maintenance and accommodation

Settlement Fiancé(e)s

Settlement Spouses

Settlement - visa application guide

The big difference is cost.

A fiance visa and a spouse visa both currently cost £750, payable in baht at whatever exchange rate the embassy are using at the time, currently 37500 baht.

A fiance visa lasts for 6 months. During this time you need to marry and after the wedding your then wife applies for Further Leave to Remain , at a current cost of £500 by post or £800 in person.

FLR lasts for 24 months and at the end of this, assuming all the criteria are met, she applies for Indefinite Leave to Remain, at a current cost of £950 by post or £1250 in person.

A spouse visa lasts for 27 months, and once she has been in the UK for 24 months she can, assuming all the criteria are met, apply for ILR. So a spouse visa cuts out the FLR stage and saves that fee.

(NB all fees quoted are current at the time of posting, but are subject to change. You should check the current fee before submitting any application.)

Also, a fiance cannot work in the UK until after the marriage and they have FLR whilst a spouse can work immediately they arrive in the UK.

Whichever route you decide upon, before applying for her settlement visa your girlfriend will need to show that she satisfies the New English language requirement for visa applicants coming to join partners in the UK. The UKVAC have a list of approved test providers in Thailand.

She will also need to obtain a certificate confirming that she is free from infectious tuberculosis .

Also, once in the UK and before applying for ILR she will need to satisfy the Knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement.

Remember that she cannot convert a visit visa to settlement whilst in the UK; she will have to return to Thailand and apply whichever route you choose.

The ECO will not accept photos on electronic media due to the risk of that media containing a virus or similar which could infect their systems. Printed photos only.

As per usual 7by7 has nailed it. :thumbsup:

What I would add is that I/we recently applied for a fiancee visa that was granted in Friday and we didn't include any letters or plans about a wedding date.

You both have to go to your local registrar at least 7 days after your partner arrives then can get married 16 days after that.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Marriagesandcivilpartnerships/DG_175715

RAZZ

Yes nicely but 7by7, you make it sound so easy.

I'm going for the Spouse Visa Option around May time, my GF has just gone back on her first Holiday Visa,she was here for 2 Months, took her to the airport yesterday, gutted.

For myself think it would be nicer to Marry in Thailand, as half my heart is their.

Alan

Hi All

Thanks to 7by7 for such detailed information there. Does anyone one know where i can get a sample sponser letter from? I have written a letter before for a visit visa but i'm not sure whether to edit and reuse that? Is there any thing i should include in the letter? I know letters like this are personal so, just a outline of what i should include would be great.

Thanks Again

Hi All

Thanks to 7by7 for such detailed information there. Does anyone one know where i can get a sample sponser letter from? I have written a letter before for a visit visa but i'm not sure whether to edit and reuse that? Is there any thing i should include in the letter? I know letters like this are personal so, just a outline of what i should include would be great.

Thanks Again

I just updated the V/V letter. But you can leave out the "reason to return" bits ;)

RAZZ

Why bother getting married ? If your relationship is a real one ( not a over the internet thing ) you can get a unmarried partner visa. As long as you have been living together for 2 years.

Edited by 7by7
Unnecessary, provocative comment removed.