Woman Beaten Unconscious On Phuket Beach

webfact

In all of my time of living in Thailand, this is the first time that I have heard of this. What does an isolated incident have to do with 'cruel LOS'?

Not a whole lot different than a few years ago, When a Bkk brothel owner named Chuwit hired truckloads of thugs to level an entire city block of Bkk - to get rid of vendors there. Granted, bodily harm wasn't done. How did Chuwit get off the hook? He had a truckload of smut on the police captains and openly threatened to reveal all if indicted.

Did it work? Of course it did. Not only that, the thug went on to become a respected politician.

Similarly, I won't be surprised if the restaurant owner in the current incident will pull a similar scheme: threaten to reveal dirty laundry on Phuket's police chief and/or hierchy if they intend to slap him with any serious charges.

Here's a little something any Phuketians can do if concerned. A. boycott the restaurant. B. purchase from vendors stationed on the beach by the restaurant.

Well to be fair, he did own the land in question, he gave notice for the bar owners to move out which they refused to do, he moved them out with the only option left open to him, nobody was hurt, and the land is now a very nice park on the shitty area of sukhumvit road (the park was built by him).

If i remember correctly, he didn't want to make it into a park but to use for some other commercial venture, but after all the really bad publicity it generated he did it as a way to placate people as he was starting to become politically active and felt it would be good PR.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many thai men does it take to beat up a defensless woman? Sad and frightening.

Six, apparently.

I am constantly amazed at people trying to white wash the most evil behaviour using various methods, most common being, it happens everywhere. Im sorry but in Canada we do not have a culture of 6 men beating on a lone woman, we simply do not, you might find one lone crazy that is capable at any one time but 6 men together all sharing the same evil outlook on life and perpetrating in public with no shame whatsoever? Not a common event like it is here. There is a basic sense of right and wrong that is simply completely missing in this country.

I have read all the reply's and found no where that it is OK because it happens every where. that is just a fact not a justification.

How in the world have you managed to turn one isolated incident into a cultural thing.

You say not a common event in Canada. In other words you are saying it happens.

Also where did you here that it was Thai inspired and carried out. Are you so naive that you think Thai's are the only criminal organization existing in Thailand?

If you are you are in questionable company.

In my opinion you are bordering on Thai bashing.

I hope that she has a large family to look after her, and to remonstrate in a suitable fashion with the resturants little band of henchmen. A resturant sized bonfire would fit the bill nicely.<BR>If no action is taken against the gang of thugs by the police then any connection between the resturant and local police officers or their families should be investigated.

To the routine annoyance of people within ear-shot, I can normally talk for England,

but this report, assuming it is totally accurate, makes me speechless with gloom and

sorrow.

Anyone else having second/third/fourth....thoughts about living in this cruel land ?

(given the endless stream of bad-news....perhaps just stop reading TV altogether.)

And before anyone jumps up with the usual: Bad things happen everywhere, even

in cuddly England...absolutely right....but I bet you cannot come up with any story of

a gang descending on and beating a lone woman for trying to sell a few items of fruit ?

Behind all the gold decor, posing in pastel shirts, and quaint mannerisms, Cruel LOS ?

No your right... this kind of shit just doesn't happen in England or the U.S. ... we are far too civilised for groups of men to be beating the shit out of defenseless women for something as petty as selling goods on someone elses supposed turf.:rolleyes:

But doing it for fun..now that's a different matter..

Heres a little selection it took me all of 10 seconds to find...

http://www.createpea...manmurdered.htm

http://www.theargus....ver_work_again/

http://www.topix.com...TNDJ7QUMN101RSI

By all means be disgusted at what happened to this woman...undoubtedly these guys are scum...but don't give it the self righteous 'this shit don't happen back home' nonsense, because it does and far worse...And if you watch some of the documentaries on Chinese cockle pickers on the beaches of England the exact same shit happens ...

You're right this does happen in UK and USA as shown in your links. The difference is in those sort of cases the police are called investigate and if possible arrest the suspects as happened in 2 of the cases mentioned. What doesn't happen is a group of local vendors have to go to the local admiminstrator who then asks the police to investigate who then may or may not do anything depending on the relevant wealth or status of the suspects and victim. From what I've read on here it can also depend on if the police are running the establishment. Not sure if that's true.

To the routine annoyance of people within ear-shot, I can normally talk for England,

but this report, assuming it is totally accurate, makes me speechless with gloom and

sorrow.

Anyone else having second/third/fourth....thoughts about living in this cruel land ?

(given the endless stream of bad-news....perhaps just stop reading TV altogether.)

in cuddly England...absolutely right....but I bet you cannot come up with any story of

a gang descending on and beating a lone woman for trying to sell a few items of fruit ?

Behind all the gold decor, posing in pastel shirts, and quaint mannerisms, Cruel LOS ?

It is sad for the lady, and I hope that she recovers soon. But.....................................

You are right - there will not be a case of people beating up others over selling fruit, on a beach in England.

1 they cannot afford the fruit

2 the local council would not let them sell it on the beach

3 the health and safety people would demand that they wear protective clothing 'in case it was tainted'

4 it's too cold on the beach

In all of my time of living in Thailand, this is the first time that I have heard of this. What does an isolated incident have to do with 'cruel LOS'?

In the UK yesterday there was a case of 'sexual grooming by two Asians on white girls'. (Not the first case.) Cruel LOS ?- I almost choked on my BBQ sweetcorn.

I don't usually reply to these forums, just reading them amazes me.

I do not claim to be an expert on any country, but I have a brain, some knowledge and experience, and have been resident in several countries throughout the world--including Thailand, where I now live, but have frequently visited for more than forty years.

One of the things I have learned is that all facts need to be known before an intelligent discussion or correct decision can be made. We are told of no witnesses except the victim and what her father has reportedly said. So, what if there were not six thugs? What if the victim simply got into an argument with a worker in the restaurant? Or, worse yet, what if the charges are simply trumped-up and she only fell off her bike and cracked her head? Her face appears remarkably unscathed for receiving a beating by six thugs, don't you agree?

What if the restaurant also sells fruit, pays a pretty hefty sum to occupy the beach, has warned the vendor previously against selling inside their restaurant, but the vendor still walked right into the restaurant to sell fruit . What if the restaurant owner, an elderly matron, simply threw the vendor out on her ear. What if the charges are only claimed by the vendor as some sort of retribution?

So, let's get the rest of the story before Thai bashing and ascribing guilt..

Do you think the UK, US or any other Western nation's laws allow a vendor to sell similar products in another business without permission. In fact, the Western police would assist the restaurant owner in evicting the vendor.

I realize vendors selling competing products in restaurants is a common practice in Thailand. Would the Thai Police make vendors leave, or would the restaurant have to take measures into its own hands to rid themselves of the vendors?

I believe Vice Governor Weerawat did the right thing, he ordered an investigation.

So, back away from your armchair judiciary, unless you can find nothing better to do in Thailand. I that case, I will settle back into my sheer amazement and ignore these missives as best I can.

sorrow.

No your right... this kind of shit just doesn't happen in England or the U.S. ... we are far too civilised for groups of men to be beating the shit out of defenseless women for something as petty as selling goods on someone elses supposed turf.:rolleyes:

But doing it for fun..now that's a different matter..

Heres a little selection it took me all of 10 seconds to find...

http://www.createpea...manmurdered.htm

http://www.theargus....ver_work_again/

http://www.topix.com...TNDJ7QUMN101RSI

By all means be disgusted at what happened to this woman...undoubtedly these guys are scum...but don't give it the self righteous 'this shit don't happen back home' nonsense, because it does and far worse...And if you watch some of the documentaries on Chinese cockle pickers on the beaches of England the exact same shit happens ...

You're right this does happen in UK and USA as shown in your links. The difference is in those sort of cases the police are called investigate and if possible arrest the suspects as happened in 2 of the cases mentioned. What doesn't happen is a group of local vendors have to go to the local admiminstrator who then asks the police to investigate who then may or may not do anything depending on the relevant wealth or status of the suspects and victim. From what I've read on here it can also depend on if the police are running the establishment. Not sure if that's true.

Another key difference people are (purposefully ??) missing is repeatability..

These links to non Thai crimes above show random incidents, where the perps are then pursued and punished. Whereas the incident being discussed in Thailand will happen, with repeatability, to ANY vendor that works that beach and doesnt pay the standover charge!! This is a crucial difference showing a cultural acceptance of lawbreaking for profit, not simply a random act of violence.

The men responsible for attacking Ms Maiwadee will be prosecuted, V/Gov Weerawat said.

Like hell they will.

It appears these thugs have a free hand otherwise they would all be in jail awaiting trial right now.

The police are not really interested because the victim is not a person of wealth and considered of little significance. The police stand to gain nothing by enforcing the law for this poor kid and as usual they would prefer that this matter is forgotten and if left alone it will go away.

Who says that there will be no follow-ups to this story in the media? Place your bets here please.

I bet some certain people do not like this at all so maybe you will not hear anymore but I reckon something will be done.

So I bet " no " you will not hear anymore.

What a brave woman. She stood up for her group against the street mafia. I wish that I would be as heoric. Does any one know how I could donate to help cover her medical costs. Can Thia Visa Post a PayPal Donate button and find a way to get funds to this amazing woman?

The first time you have heard of turfs and pitches of public property protected by menaces and intimidation ?? You cant get out much.

The exact same modus operandi runs the entire taxi / tuktuk system on phuket.

The exact same etc etc runs the rental pitches on Patong beach

The exact same etc runs the sun loungers..

The exact same.. add jetskis.. Touts.. Etc etc etc. Almost ALL biz activity on phuket is controlled in this manner.

The list goes on and on.

On Surin beach one restaurant has walled off a substantial section of actual beach (sand) and its now for their own exclusive use.. You mean the or bor tor and or bor jor cant see this with their own eyes ?? Or merely they just get paid not to see it.

Surin now has a jetski group having arrived.. Despite the claim of no new jetskis 7 years ago and a deadline of Feb or so for them to be completely removed from the province !!

The slime is spreading.. Once you could just get out of Patong or limited areas of the west coast and be away from the worst of it.. Nor girly bars and massage fronts are lining streets around the entire south of the island and will just keep spreading. No one has any desire to stop it while they make increasingly comical claims to be interested in 'high end' travelers

All wrapped up there. Add general process in Thailand when conflicts and it’s done

Having lived here a while and lived in the west a while i have to say Phuket can be pretty scary. It seems people are going crazy for the chance to come to Phuket from all over Thailand and make money from the rich farrangs.

Phuket is a tiny island, surely the crime rate for similar cases is quite high per capita here?

The island generates that kind of thing.

Where ever big money is made avalable crime will follow.

On a off topic :offtopic: item. There rate of motor bike fatalities per capata is also high especially through the high season.:sorry:

sorrow.

It is sad for the lady, and I hope that she recovers soon. But.....................................

You are right - there will not be a case of people beating up others over selling fruit, on a beach in England.

1 they cannot afford the fruit

2 the local council would not let them sell it on the beach

3 the health and safety people would demand that they wear protective clothing 'in case it was tainted'

4 it's too cold on the beach

In the UK yesterday there was a case of 'sexual grooming by two Asians on white girls'. (Not the first case.) Cruel LOS ?- I almost choked on my BBQ sweetcorn. (&lt;deleted&gt; ??)

Tropi - have you ever heard of trending - the violent acts that are reported are gruesome sure - but what about the ones that go unreported - ISOLATED INCIDENT ? MY ARSE

there is a very dark side to Thai's that needs to be brought to everyone's attention to bring awareness to the community so the general public and tourists can be on safe-guard for anything before it happens

there are tourists being robbed and beaten daily that does not get reported

the police shun any selection of tourist crime reports as unreported in their books - to save their lazy asses from doing anything that does not drop a baht into their greasy palms

the mafioso police consider themselves doing Thailand a favor because the crime rate index would be through the roof if they actually reported everything that came to their attention from tourists

tourists are to be used and abused in Thailand - and those of us that live here get the back-lash from that everyday

come on - wake up - this is serious news reporting - it goes much farther beyond a fruit vendor being assaulted over a 300 baht a day business

the Thai's are desperate for cash with the drop in tourism over the last few years and are doing many violent crimes which are in an upward trend - its only the big news breakers you see here

its only a matter of time before each and everyone one of us is a victim to some act of criminal minds no matter to what severity - its a cruel world out there - but the Thais will hit you with your back turned - they take a cowardly approach to most all of their life

remember that many Thais detest Farangs and only look at them as a source of income - whether from providing a service or commodity - all the way to being willing to take it off you by force

if you do not keep an eye over your shoulder here - it can happen to you too

Do you consider yourself one of life's victims? You use an article detailing Thai-on-Thai violence to tell us about how Thais hate farangs. Thanks but no thanks.

If you also consider a beach vendor getting battered a "big news breaker" then you really need to get out and live life more!

Not a whole lot different than a few years ago, When a Bkk brothel owner named Chuwit hired truckloads of thugs to level an entire city block of Bkk - to get rid of vendors there. Granted, bodily harm wasn't done. How did Chuwit get off the hook? He had a truckload of smut on the police captains and openly threatened to reveal all if indicted.

Did it work? Of course it did. Not only that, the thug went on to become a respected politician.

Similarly, I won't be surprised if the restaurant owner in the current incident will pull a similar scheme: threaten to reveal dirty laundry on Phuket's police chief and/or hierchy if they intend to slap him with any serious charges.

Here's a little something any Phuketians can do if concerned. A. boycott the restaurant. B. purchase from vendors stationed on the beach by the restaurant.

Well to be fair, he did own the land in question, he gave notice for the bar owners to move out which they refused to do, he moved them out with the only option left open to him, nobody was hurt, and the land is now a very nice park on the shitty area of sukhumvit road (the park was built by him).

Random

Thanks for the clarification

. I have always wondered about (brahmburgers) I will use a lot more salt now when I read his posts.

Just goes to show how the truth can be warped to make it seem what it is not. I was a little skeptical about truck loads of goons to tear buildings down. That is out of there line of work it takes machinery.B)

Once again a lot folks have nothing better too do than jump on the band wagon, lets get the other side of the story before hanging anyone it "could have been another woman that did it?"

Did you even read the story. It's a whole group of people being threatened. What do you want for proof, every vendor on the beach dead with slashed throats?

Random

. I have always wondered about (brahmburgers) I will use a lot more salt now when I read his posts.

Just goes to show how the truth can be warped to make it seem what it is not. I was a little skeptical about truck loads of goons to tear buildings down. That is out of there line of work it takes machinery.B)

Well there is a little more to it than that.. The bars which got torn down actually had legal leases, it wasnt like the leases ran out and they wouldnt pay, only that he had a buffer leaseholder in between to run away and hide allowing plausible deniability. I actually knew a woman who had her life savings invested in a bar there and lost the lot that day.

six men against one women, what a bunch of cowards.

Exactly. How miserable & pathetic those men must be. I only wish we knew the name of the restaurant . Assuming this is all true, I would make sure to NEVER go there!

I totally agree--BOYCOTT--after all no other punishment will be given by any law enforcement [joke]----Hope the young girl makes a complete and speedy recovery--God bless you

Exactly. How miserable & pathetic those men must be. I only wish we knew the name of the restaurant . Assuming this is all true, I would make sure to NEVER go there!

I totally agree--BOYCOTT--after all no other punishment will be given by any law enforcement [joke]----Hope the young girl makes a complete and speedy recovery--God bless you

And NO this would never happen in New Zealand----crimes of less severity are dealt with the full power of the law---normally with a good deterant for repeating!!!!!

I am constantly amazed at people trying to white wash the most evil behaviour using various methods, most common being, it happens everywhere. Im sorry but in Canada we do not have a culture of 6 men beating on a lone woman, we simply do not, you might find one lone crazy that is capable at any one time but 6 men together all sharing the same evil outlook on life and perpetrating in public with no shame whatsoever? Not a common event like it is here. There is a basic sense of right and wrong that is simply completely missing in this country.

You will always get that from the 'in denial' contingent who don't want to hear how dark it can be here.

@ LM &lt;deleted&gt;:????

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100915/bc_rave_gang_rape_100915?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

The gang rape of a 16-year-old girl and the subsequent posting of graphic pictures of it on the internet have led one police investigator to call it a "morally disgusting" and "appalling" case.

The teenager was allegedly assaulted at "Another Night in Bangkok," a party held on a residential acreage at 12993 Harris Rd. in Pitt Meadows on Friday night.

Maple Ridge RCMP say the teenage victim attended a rave with several hundred other people, both youths and adults, some time between Friday night and Saturday morning. Police say that at some point she was given a "date rape" drug that left her unconscious. She was then taken from the house where the party was held and raped in a field by several teenagers.

Several people watched as the drugged girl was repeatedly raped and at least one of them took photographs, which were posted on sites like Facebook, according to police. Police were shocked by several posted comments that suggested the gang rape was consensual.

And the sad thing is they were probably actually trying to kill her ..... just so they could sell some more 30 baht phad thai.

Yes, how about the name of the restaurant? Anyone?

As you may know, naming and shaming is not permitted on ThaiVisa. Warnings and suspensions will be given if this occurs.

What about a GPS coordinate or a link to Google maps?

sorrow.

This poor woman,treated like a dog or slave or worse.May she exact revenge on these animals.

Spent eight years in and out of Thailand-mostly up north.

Great country,beautiful people but something is definitely wrong with the place.

I left four years ago when it became abundantly clear that those of us that legitimately spent their disposable income in the country were being treated less than proper.

Bye bye Thailand.

There are much better places and people to enjoy.

Four years physically gone. But your mind is still here I see. If it was so bad why not take your mind with you? Hard to leave the LOS isn't it?:)

Undoubtedly the "mafia" types in question are actually off-duty police or controlled by the police in some way.

So in effect they will be investigating themselves and consequently will never be found or prosecuted.

Just another day in Thailand:)

Although this was the first time she had been physically attacked, Mr Sawang said that his daughter had in the past received repeated death threats from the owner of the restaurant as she walked by selling fruit.

my daughter getting death threats?, send her back?> I would NOT!

A. keep her out of danger

B, fight for the turf mySELF, not send my girl

i have a picture, only an opinion, a bald faced assumption of a scared young woman being ordered back into battle.

the father should be FN ashamed sending his little girl into the gang wars

one thing about Thailand, it's seldom good v bad,

Does anybody know this loving father, personally?

he is the only NON mafia type?

must be a 'saint'

Having lived here a while and lived in the west a while i have to say Phuket can be pretty scary. It seems people are going crazy for the chance to come to Phuket from all over Thailand and make money from the rich farrangs.

Phuket is a tiny island, surely the crime rate for similar cases is quite high per capita here?

The island generates that kind of thing.

Where ever big money is made avalable crime will follow.

I'd hazard a guess that in the case of this dispute, it's probably a lack of money that has exacerbated the situation. If there was plenty to go around, there would be less motivation to resort to shit like this.

I mean, I read people calling for a boycott of the restaurant, but how many of you actually go to some shack on Surin beach to eat?

i think the place will be empty now, the word is sure to get around and if they are beating up girls selling fruit their business cant be doing much anyway.lets hope it closes down.

Random

Well there is a little more to it than that.. The bars which got torn down actually had legal leases, it wasnt like the leases ran out and they wouldnt pay, only that he had a buffer leaseholder in between to run away and hide allowing plausible deniability. I actually knew a woman who had her life savings invested in a bar there and lost the lot that day.

There were actually 120 small businesses destroyed that night (starting at 04:00am on Jan 26th 2003). 60 of them were bars, the rest included internet cafes, travel agents, souvenir shops and a laundry. Most, if not all, held legitimate leases. They were all destroyed along with their contents (except for those that were looted by the thugs, as witnessed by residents of a Soi 10 apartment building), because one shell corporation run by Chuwit leased the land to another shell corporation, also run by Chuwit, for redevelopment. Jayjay0 is correct that it required machinery; back-hoe loaders, generators and lighting gantries were brought along to do the job, as well as truck loads of the afore mentioned thugs. Thaksin himself got involved with the fallout, calling for justice and screaming that the mafia responsible would be punished. Chuwit came back by threatening to reveal a list of senior police officials who he was paying off in return for keeping his brothels open. Thaksin spat his dummy even further, promising to personally clean up the police within three months, which dragged on to a year, then spluttering out once it was all forgotten. Yet another broken promise by the man we're told did so much for the country.

Undoubtedly the "mafia" types in question are actually off-duty police or controlled by the police in some way.

So in effect they will be investigating themselves and consequently will never be found or prosecuted.

Just another day in Thailand:)

No they are just your run of the mill beach thugs..

But the restaurant does pay (of course) a heavy premium.. And it IS the same restaurant that has fenced off the beach for private use I have just been told.

Something 'fishy' about the name.. ;)