New Passport At American Consular Services

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

Always nice to share something that "goes right" in the fractal meander that constitutes our twosome life (last ?) in Chiang Mai !

Appointment to submit documents, pictures, and fees was last Thursday, about 1:45PM, we arrived at least twenty minutes early, but were called to the first window almost immediately.

Impressed by the new organization of the Consulate (been years since my American body [baby-boomer model with Dr. Benjamin Spock modifications] has been in there).

Security screening thorough, pleasant, and obviously well-thought out.

Front-line staff polite, friendly, very helpful. Sitting outside, under a fan, was a rare opportunity to watch CNN (we abandoned teevee about twenty months ago), and they actually had some "upbeat" reportage showing about a Los Angeles homeless ex-felon, with a drug record, with a fantastic voice, who has suddenly recycled himself into a successful radio announcer and/or tv presenter. A nice surprise given: we expected more grim and bloody news from around the world.

Finished with everything: the last thing is the oath: by 2:10PM latest.

Today, first thing, have an e-mail from Consulate saying new Passport is ready, and can be picked up Tuesday or Thursday, no appointment required, between 1~3PM. So today we pick up.

And now, maybe, when we go to Vientiane, or cross the border at Mae Sai, we will not have to wait a long time as interested Thai officials examine very many pages full of very many entry and exit stamps (while we smile, and look happy, and practice being outwardly unperturbed, directing a certain nervous tension down into the soles of our feet) ?

And then, the little dance to transfer the current visa with Thai immigration: which we forget if it will cost us baht ... or not.

We feel that to be somewhat overjoyed when things go "smoothly" here, and not "depressed," or "really pissed-off," when they, as usual, get gnarled, kinky, develop fractal mutant minor-hassles equivalent in experiential effect to encounter with stinging nettles, insect stings, or worse: is one of the most valuable lessons we have learned living here ... or is that a "symptom" of being "inured" to "whatever" ? Or is that just a "thick hide:" or a beetle's carapace ?

Whatever "the hassles," that seem to "pile on" in inverse proportion to the degree of urgency and importance of what it is we are trying to do or deal with: if we can let them "slide off us," and not build-up internal frustration, or knock-us off-balance from glimpsing the beauty of the miraculous in every infinitely indivisible moment organized, by habit, by our nature as two souls and two minds, into a fiction of mutually overlapping continuities ... which we intuit are continually being edited, and to some extent (Major Major Major Major, as in Yossarian's nemesis in "Catch-22" ?) are ever-evolving 'fabrications' into new fictional continuities ... while required by our afore-mentioned nature(s) to utterly deny the "stories" are anything but "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth," and are, in fact, chapters of a sacred book of "revelations," whose title is: "The Greatest Story Ever Told: Our Lives" ... we think ... that is a goodness :)

best, ~o:37;

p.s. All of the above will be on the final exam.

Edited by orang37

Enjoyed reading your post (although memorizing it for the exam will be a challenge). I read somewhere that US passports are actually produced in Thailand---the real ones that is (as well as the fakes of course). With that sort of turn around time I think it must be true.

what were the total fee's to get a new one?

I was thinking of doing the same but mine is not expired for a few more years. Other than losing mine is it possible to upgrade to a new one?

Not sure if you were get a replacement would it be good for ten more years or just the balance of what you had.

You would also have to pay a fee. Wish the mammal conclave had mentioned what they had to pay.:)

Passport renewal fee is $110 or equivalent in baht at the U.S. consulate in CM. Transfer Thai visa to new passport, free at CM immigration. If you take a trip out of Thailand, you might want to bring both your new and old passport. When I recently returned to Thailand from my trip, the customs agent at swampy had a fit because I didn't have my old passport with me.

Edited by prism

I have about 4 years left on my 10 year passport. Going to run out of pages in a year or so.

I figure the charge is pretty steep to add pages and getting a fresh one would help in applying for tourist visa's when I want them.

Anyone research the issues of getting a new one that far before renewal time? I don't want to report it lost or stolen.

Any tips?

I was thinking of doing the same but mine is not expired for a few more years. Other than losing mine is it possible to upgrade to a new one?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun CSN,

The fee was 3300 baht, paid in baht. Suggest avoid the idea of "losing the passport" because of required filing of police report, and who knows what else shenanigans of the beauracratic flavour.

Yes, you can get a new one (upgrade, in your words) before the old passport expires: that's exactly what we did. When we renewed here, in CM, in 2005, the new passport was good for ten years; we assume the new passport we get today will also be good for ten years, but we'll post the news here quickly if it is not.

Note to Khun JayJay0: believe comments above will respond to your indirect questions.

Note to Khun Prism: Thanks for info on no fee at CM Immigration for transfer of existing Thai Visa to new US passport. We never had a problem using our new replacement passport in 2005: were never asked for the "old passport:" is there a way that Thai immigration could even know you had a replacement NOT because you had lost your old one (via their computer system ?).

Actually it would be very interesting to know what records are actually kept on the Thai immigration computers when you cross borders, transfer visas, apply for residency certificate to purchase motosai, etc. ... and whether those records are actually collated and organized on national level databases ... and, if so, who has access to those national level databases. What can the front-line person on re-entry from Burma at Mae Sai, actually see about you when they enter your whatever number ?

regards, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun CSN,

The fee was 3300 baht, paid in baht. Suggest avoid the idea of "losing the passport" because of required filing of police report, and who knows what else shenanigans of the beauracratic flavour.

Yes, you can get a new one (upgrade, in your words) before the old passport expires: that's exactly what we did. When we renewed here, in CM, in 2005, the new passport was good for ten years; we assume the new passport we get today will also be good for ten years, but we'll post the news here quickly if it is not.

Note to Khun JayJay0: believe comments above will respond to your indirect questions.

Note to Khun Prism: Thanks for info on no fee at CM Immigration for transfer of existing Thai Visa to new US passport. We never had a problem using our new replacement passport in 2005: were never asked for the "old passport:" is there a way that Thai immigration could even know you had a replacement NOT because you had lost your old one (via their computer system ?).

Actually it would be very interesting to know what records are actually kept on the Thai immigration computers when you cross borders, transfer visas, apply for residency certificate to purchase motosai, etc. ... and whether those records are actually collated and organized on national level databases ... and, if so, who has access to those national level databases. What can the front-line person on re-entry from Burma at Mae Sai, actually see about you when they enter your whatever number ?

regards, ~o:37;

Who knows if Thai immigration at BKK knew if I'd lost the old passport or it was just renewed. I noticed that the original visa's number was not noted in my new passport by CM immigration. Maybe I picked that one grouchy agent to queue in ("where old passport!" he barked 3 times). Seems like Thai immigration has a way to go towards centralizing their databases.

Edited by prism

Orang

So you applied for a passport renewal? and filled out DS-82?

and they accepted it ~4 years before the current passport expired? Just curious.

Can't answer the question about 4 years, but had mine done recently in Bkk. My old one still had one year left on it. The new one is good for a full 10 years from its date of issue.

And I had similar no-muss-no-fuss experience with the Embassy there. Made an appointment via website with them first, then made the new PP application during a trip on my way to the States. Kept my old passport to travel with, along with a receipt they gave me to show I had applied and paid for a new one. I was notified by email when my new one was available for pickup in Bkk. Took around 9 days IIRC. Picked it up in Bkk on my return trip to Phuket. Had the visa transfered to the new PP at Phuket Immigrations at no charge.

Also, there is a form you can print on the US E's website and bring with you when you apply. I didn't bother as I had no access to a printer, but still took only a short time to fill in whilst at the Embassy.

Arrived for appointment today to get added pages. Filled out the form which said; 'no fees associated with this application'. I was asked for $82. I pointed out the form and was told that the discrepancy would be reported to the State Dept. but the online instructions, which I did not read, did indeed have the new and improved fees.

Waited in the lounge for no more that 20 minutes.

When you get a new passport you can ask for one with extra pages already in it. Got mine last time that way. No extra charge then.

Good idea.

Orang37 thanks for the info. I will keep a eye on this thread if in case you do not get the full ten years this time around'. A few questions

1 Do you get to keep your old pass port.

2 Do you take it along with the new one to Chiang Mai immigration to get your retirement visa and multi entry permits transferred into it?

I can understand some times needing the old one. If one was to comeback with no sign of previous entry into Thailand and a permanent residency or retirement dated 6 months earlier some might question it. It is after all not that common a thing to happen. And when you consider the number of immigration officers it would be a rare occurrence especially for a new officer. Just my rambling thoughts.:)

Edited by jayjay0

When you get a new passport you can ask for one with extra pages already in it. Got mine last time that way. No extra charge then.

Good idea.

Orang37 thanks for the info. I will keep a eye on this thread if in case you do not get the full ten years this time around'. A few questions

2 Do you take it along with the new one to Chiang Mai immigration to get your retirement visa and multi entry permits transferred into it?

I can understand some times needing the old one. If one was to comeback with no sign of previous entry into Thailand and a permanent residency or retirement dated 6 months earlier some might question it. It is after all not that common a thing to happen. And when you consider the number of immigration officers it would be a rare occurrence especially for a new officer. Just my rambling thoughts.:)

1. Upon receipt of your new PP, your old one will be returned to you with a hole punched through the magnetic strip which 'voids' it. The pages with your visa stamps will be unaffected. (New PP's have an electronic chip inside rather than the magnetic strip.)

2. I think it's a good idea to bring your old PP along with you until you're sure it won't be needed any longer. My old one, for example, had a re-entry permit from my most recent entry into the Kingdom, where the new one didn't after they had transfered my visa into it. To avoid any confusion, I bring it along just in case. Once I get my visa renewed next time, and another 90 day check under my belt, I'll feel comfortable not having to bring it along.

Good idea.

1. Upon receipt of your new PP, your old one will be returned to you with a hole punched through the magnetic strip which 'voids' it. The pages with your visa stamps will be unaffected. (New PP's have an electronic chip inside rather than the magnetic strip.)

2. I think it's a good idea to bring your old PP along with you until you're sure it won't be needed any longer. My old one, for example, had a re-entry permit from my most recent entry into the Kingdom, where the new one didn't after they had transfered my visa into it. To avoid any confusion, I bring it along just in case. Once I get my visa renewed next time, and another 90 day check under my belt, I'll feel comfortable not having to bring it along.

Many Thanks for that information.

Nice touch telling us about the hole being punched leaves no doubt.

The info on getting the new passport is worth the read. Myself, I have to get a new passport as mine will expire two weeks next year before my new visa extension expires so will get a new one to avoid any problems.

But to my main point, if you used the old passport to apply and get a new credit card, make sure you notify the card issuer that you have a new passport and the info (number, issue date and expiration date). I had a bad time with one card as my old passport was used to get it and when I got the new card, nothing seemed to work so called and finally had to send them a copy of the front page by fax in order to convince them that everything was on the up and up. This applies also when you apply for increase in credit and any other bank features. For some reason, banks can't seem to get the idea that passports either expire, get replaced for whatever reason or get lost.

FYI

~ will combine responses here to several queries on this thread due to being busy ~

So you applied for a passport renewal? and filled out DS-82? and they accepted it ~4 years before the current passport expired?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun CobraSnakeNecktie,

Yes, but would term what was applied for a "new" passport, rather than a "renewal" (probably semantic hair-splitting, sorry).

Yes, standard form accepted, and the new passport says it was issued January 6, 2011, and expires January 5, 2021 (by that time we expect we be dust, no longer requiring a passport, or a body).

DS-82, indeed, downloadable in PDF form from the Consulate's web-site: 79960.pdf. Printed out at home on our little Canon ink-jet printer: don't forget to turn off the option to "print colors as black" if your printers's set-up ui has that option "on" by default, and you choose to print in "Grayscale only." The PDF document uses color, not just half-toned black for section back-grounds.

~

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Dante99,

Wish we'd known about the free extra pages at time of issue !

~

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun JayJay0, Khun iSabai,

We kept the original passport, unaltered, of course, while waiting for the new one.

To receive the new one: we submitted the old one, along with our receipt of payment for the new one: the old one was then returned to us with punched holes in the cover and back cover, and the first inside page, and last outside page, and the first inner page is also red-stamped "Cancelled." None of the other pages were changed.

Perhaps this passport, issued 2005, did not yet have the "chip" feature mentioned on this thread ? And so: required being hole-punched and stamped ? Or is that still SOP: don't know.

Khun JayJay0 wrote: "2 Do you take it along with the new one to Chiang Mai immigration to get your retirement visa and multi entry permits transferred into it?" Since our visas are tourist visas only, we think we should not speculate on any other type of visa, like retirement.

We think Khun iSabai addressed your first question, in his or her reply, but we certainly will take the old one along with us to CM Immigration, taking it out only if requested/required to do so: we expect they will want to see/use it. And we do have a pending second-entry in the old passport.

If our current Vientiane issued Visa is fully transferred to the new passport, we are not sure, yet, if we'll bother to take the old one up to Mae Sai, although, of course, we will think carefully about Khun iSabai's remarks, re "pending entry activation," and, in fact, ask CM Immigration about this point directly when we go to transfer, and post here if there's any meaningful answer.

~

Hope this responds fully to all queries.

Edited by orang37

• 2 weeks later...

Brief follow-up: (you might also review Khun ISabai's comments above)

1. new US Passport, and letter from CM US Consulate requesting Thai Immigration to assist with visa transfer in hand:

2. went to CM immigration to ask for transfer in the context of : due date for activation of second entry of a double-entry tourist visa coming up this month on the 23rd.

Was told by first the clerk at the back of the room, and then by a front-desk rep, that a transfer was NOT necessary.

They said I could go to Mae Sai on the 23rd. with both old and new passports, show Immigration there both, cross over into Myanmar and come back, and the second entry, valid for two months, would be stamped in the new passport.

One reason why we (very politely) asked the back of the room clerk to also let us talk to a front desk rep was: we were still a bit paranoid having once had some bad luck with a fubar between what CM Immigration told us would happen, and what actually happened, at Mae Sai Immigration.

Perhaps the fact that on activation of the second entry of a double-entry, the double-entry visa is cancelled, is a factor here in why transfer of visa from to new passport was not required ?

Will believe this will work when it actually happens.

It sounds hell of a lot easier than the British passport renewal, Ive just had to send mine to Hong Kong to get a renewal, they don't do them in Thailand anymore, and for the priverlidge they charge me 7700thb plus 960thb for DHL to ship it too and from Hong Kong. Plus the fact it takes four weeks also.

Orang

if your lucky immigration will not transfer a Tourist Visa into your new PP. If you have 1 showing in your new PP then will be tougher to get double TV's next time in VTE etc. WIth no TV's in your PP then currently looks like VTE will often give two in a row before only granting 1 entry or less. After two or more TV's many are currently forced to pay an agent to get the double TV.

This might change after the end of March 2011 when the standard TV fees are reinstated. Right now people are getting double TV's with lots of prior TV's in their PP's by paying agents in Cambodia and VTE. 3,500 and 3,000 respectively.

I would just try to get the permission to stay stamp and exit card transferred.

Of course people with Non Imm visa's would want their visa transferred.

Final follow-up on getting new US Passport, expiring 2021, and its "activation" in the context of:

1. old passport, expiring 2015, had a double-entry tourist visa (issued Vientiane) whose first entry was used up, and whose second-entry had to be activated before Jan. 25.

2. old passport had a one-month extension from CM Immigration valid for stay until Jan. 24.

3. Visited Chiang Mai immigration last week to check on "transfer," and was told that no transfer at CM was necessary: that all that was required was to show up at Mae Sai with bold old and new passports.

Yesterday (24th.) went to Mae Sai.

Exit Thailand: No problem after showing both passports, new and old. Thai officer on exit Thailand writing our old passport number underneath exit stamp, along with other brief comment, or code numbers, or ?, in Thai.

Enter Myanmar: no problem getting an entry stamp into the new passport. For the first time (in the last 18 months) was firmly asked for 500 baht, instead of accepting the US $10 we had in our hand. Remained calm and smiling, and, very non-confrontationally, claimed to not have 500 Thai baht. Officer finally accepted US $10, saying: "I want to help you." :) Of course, if a little more pressure had been applied, we would have surrendered 500 baht, finding it, improvising some excuse :)

Exit Myanmar: no problem getting exit stamp into new passport, did not even show old passport.

Re-enter Thailand: no problem getting new passport stamped with two months entry permit. Thai officer at entrance to Thailand writing both our old passport number, and the old Laos visa number underneath the entry stamp, with other brief something-or-other in Thai. Laos issued 2-entry visa in old passport stamped "Used."

And that's it: for now. Long live the new passport ! Highly probable the new passport will out-live this current human meat-package, we'd guess.

Edited by orang37