Driving License

Phil, you don't need to 'change' your license, just apply for a Thai one to use alongside.

I didn't take any test at all, I just took a doctor's certificate, UK license, passport (and Visa), letter from Immigration verifying my address, photos and GF (for translation) along to my local vehicle registration office and they made me one within the day.

I forget the exact fee, but a small amount.

J

....Just looked at the ThaiVisa.com info, not my experience, the office just looked at the double sided A4 UK License with it's multiple languages pictures of Cars, Motorbikes, Buses, Tractors etc.. and handed me over a Thai one, no classes or tests. I do live in the sticks, I think it was the first farang one they had done.

The place to get the license is just past Lotus on the left hand side. Maybe check google 'chiang mai license' for a better description. You probably have the non-im visa. Then you need a medical certificate from a doctor. I know you said you have one, but they have some specific tests they do for the license. It costs 50 baht at any hospital. You'll need a form from your consulate which states you live here. You sign, they stamp. You pay them 1000 baht plus. You'll need two small pics along with copies of your passport, visa, license etc. This can all be done right behind the license building. In my case, there was no test, written or otherwise. Just an hour wait. Make sure you check the spelling of your name when its done.

And jay is right. You get to keep your English license.

it was good to have. Got pulled over the other day for speeding. Showed my license and paid the 200 baht fine. The police told me that there would be another speed check up ahead and that if I got pulled over, I could just show my receipt, evidence that I had already paid 200 baht and I wouldn't be fined again. TIT.