Receiving Calls From Uk On Thai Mobile?

CMExpat79

I am in Thailand, and have have 12call mobile which I top up when I need to. However, my mum in the UK has tried to ring this number several times but it will not let her. Anyone got any suggestions on what she is doing wrong? and am I right in telling her to dial +66 8xxxx (ie drop the 0 before the 8)

Thanks for any help

It should be working doing as you say she is. The only thing I can think is she is blocked from making international calls by her provider in the UK ? Anybody else you can get to try from the UK to make sure ? Double check the number you gave her as well as it is very easy to make a mistake.

It should be working doing as you say she is. The only thing I can think is she is blocked from making international calls by her provider in the UK ? Anybody else you can get to try from the UK to make sure ? Double check the number you gave her as well as it is very easy to make a mistake.

What response is she getting ? busy, not connecting, not available ?

is she going through any call service for low rate etc ?

thanks all. I have emailed her and asked her to double check the number I have sent her again and to ask what message she is getting allthough I am sure it is that she cannot connect. She tries to ring me from a BT landline, which would have thought is ok.

Friends in the UK have rang this number before so I am baffled!

Like Dunc says it could be that BT have a block on international calls from your mothers numbre Tell her to check with BT if this is the case And at the same time ask them what the rates are to call a mobile in Thailand Also if she is going to make a number of calls do they have a plan that would reduce the cost for her.

i have a Virgin Line and they have a anytime anywere plan for a fixed fee per month that includes calls to Thailand brings the cost way down. You can also have international dialing plan should you go over the alloted min's for £1.50 per month which brings the cost per min down to about 8p

Check it with BT because I have no experiance whith BT

Wouldn't a person need to dial +00 first if using a cell phone since 00 is international prefix used to dial somehere outside the UK, like to Thailand. Or just 00 if dialing from a landline. Then include the Thailand country code of 66 followed by the rest of the number but leaving out the begining 0 of the local Thai number (i.e., 02 becomes 2, 089 become 89, etc) .

So, according to Pib, she needs to dial 00 66 8 .... every country has different conventions for dialing out.

e.g. if your number is 08 555 5555, she needs to dial 0066 8 555 5555

The "+" doesn't work on land lines, only on mobile phones.

To call Thailand from a mobile, call +668 555 5555... that works from any country.

Although not an answer to your question ... If you are getting regular calls from the UK then you might consider opening a Global Skype account for about $13 a month and getting a Skype UK Phone Number. Then simply have people call your UK number and set Skype to forward your calls to your Thai mobile.

• 2 weeks later...