Army In The South

oldsailor35

When the redshirts protested against the government. The Military turned out thousands of brave soldiers , all fully armed to attack the protesters. Why then cannot the Army send those same 'brave' soldiers to stop those gutless 'real terrorists' from murdering innocent school teachers. Or is this too tough for them.

Just like Afganistan, those "real terrorists" are innocent farmers, at least by day. As well as on the terrorists, the blame should fall on the people arond them, who notice their absence everytime a crime is committed, but don't tell the authorities.

Plenty of soldiers and police being sent south for the past decade. A good percentage (Army wise anyway) are fresh out of basic training. What's keeping the problem mostly in the south is that they often have carte blanche in getting rid of folks. As easy as keeping your teenaged daughter who just killed 8 folks on the freeway out of the news.

:)

Those people are not terrorist, not political extremist, they are just local criminal who take advantage of the situation to terrorize people and make money, just like the IRA in Ireland and the ETA in Spain.

The only way is the Chinese way, send enough people from outside to settle there so those criminals won't have no more local support.

Thailand should have a land distribution program for poor farmers Give them the land from those criminals. Problem solved

Those people are not terrorist, not political extremist, they are just local criminal who take advantage of the situation to terrorize people and make money, just like the IRA in Ireland and the ETA in Spain.

The only way is the Chinese way, send enough people from outside to settle there so those criminals won't have no more local support.

Thailand should have a land distribution program for poor farmers Give them the land from those criminals. Problem solved

I don't know where you get your information from . The people in the South of Thailand that are between Thailand and Malaysia do not see themselves as Thais, Some do not even speak Thai. Again the killings go on in the name of religion , Also there is outside interference involved,

^ you make my point.

People in the south don't see themselves as Thai, that's the problem.

Thailand should send there as many real "Thai" as possible to settle there in order to solve this problem.

The best way is to offer land to landless farmers

^ you make my point.

Thailand should send there as many real "Thai" as possible to settle there in order to solve this problem.

As I have said Malaysia are no saints, This has been going on for hundreds of years, you do not solve it over night .Its not about land , Muslims are killing Buddhist and Cristian's, they do not care who they kill, women or children and westerners.,I was down there three years ago staying with Thai friend , i got told to go north or I would be killed, i don't know who they where , Thai secret police . or terrorist . but i just got on a bus and left Sharp ,

[quote

I don't know where you get your information from . The people in the South of Thailand that are between Thailand and Malaysia do not see themselves as Thais, Some do not even speak Thai. Again the killings go on in the name of religion , Also there is outside interference involved,

This is what happens when lands are ceded by treaty with disregard for the local population. When the religion and

culture of the new settlers are completely alien to the ceded territory you can expect serious opposition. History shows that some form autonomy usually works best.

One example that I am familiar with is Mindanao where the semi-autonomy seems to be working. Of course there will always be radical elements that will not compromise. Like southern Thailand, Mindanao separatists are receiving support from outside the country.

The "Chinese way" is still far from abating the dissent in Tibet. Witness the recent violent demonstrations.

The "Chinese way" is still far from abating the dissent in Tibet. Witness the recent violent demonstrations.

Worked pretty well in the US though, just ask the Indians (not the ones selling suits).

Send in enough numbers, not just a bit at a time like in Gaza, and eventually your problem will fade away. Given, it's going to be more difficult with a culture that breeds fairly quickly... but you can deal with that as well through science and the right hospital/medical politics.

(not saying I'm advocating this, just saying how it could be done)

Worked pretty well in the US though, just ask the Indians (not the ones selling suits).

You are right about America. Besides overwhelming numbers, many other factors came into play. Getting involved in inter-tribal rivalry and broken treaties also helped to speed things up.

There's also the parallel between the south and the native Americans in that southern Thais are at the mercy of the central gov't in terms of distribution of budget and perhaps more importantly control of commerce by Central Thais. Given, they know this and this is much of the reason for this gasping for air rebellion.

Those soldiers held back for months on the red-shirts even though they were ruining the economy. They only attacked them when the protesters refused to make peace and refused to leave. :blink:

YES ! and meanwhile there are obviously not enough troops patrolling in the south. It seems that this area is reserved for a 'punishment' posting for either police officers or army officers who are out of favour.

I served in the Sungie Siput-Taiping area in Malaya during the communist insurgency of the 50's. We (army) were everywhere, eventually the CT's were driven to remote jungle areas and finally crushed. But with Thailand it has just become a political game.........All talk with the usual undetected murders. These terrorists apparently are free to roam anywhere on their motorbikes fully armed. In Malaya they would'nt have got more than a couple of miles before meeting army or police patrols. But of course i suppose the army is really badly needed in Bangkok, just in case the redshirts try to stand up for their rights again.

The people i know in the south (Pattani) do consider themselves Thai, however there are hardcore organisations who really are terrorists, forcing their wishes on peace loving locals who just want to get on with life and see their kids get an education so one way for the terrorists to "persuade" them otherwise is to murder their teachers. Which they appear to be able to do without being arrested. Unfortunately, the army do at times go in like a bull at a gate (as in Bangkok) and punish the wrong people.

Those soldiers held back for months on the red-shirts even though they were ruining the economy. They only attacked them when the protesters refused to make peace and refused to leave. :blink:

Oh? I thought it was because there was what one would politely term as "discussion" amongst senior officers as to the nature of intervention. Hence the eventual introduction of Queens Guards units when there was no military activity.

^ you make my point.

Did you think this through? What happens to the displaced indigineous populations in the south? Do you just deport them and wait for them to take up arms? Why would Thais with their family relationships in other regions want to move to the south? Does your plan include the forced resettlement of northerners? Stalin would be proud of you. The miliiatry can only keep a lid on things until such time as a non military solution can be implemented, such as recognizing that the some of the southern region has absolutely no relationship with Thailand whatsoever and never did. It's a different cuture, different history, different religion and different racial origin in some of the contested areas. Does your plan include the costs of stationing troops in every immigrant's home to protect them from the retaliation that would surely come. Your solution is right out of the annexation of parts of Czechoslovakia and we all know how that ended.

Edited by geriatrickid

• 1 month later...

If I may go back to the OP question, ‘oldsailor35’ Sorry, but I think you taking your frustration on the wrong “bods” You mention the military and the ‘brave soldiers’ as if they all get together at a weekly BBQ and decide the job list for the week. The ‘brave soldiers’ do what they are told, they go where there taken….. and sadly die, sometimes a long way from home…..doing what they think is there duty………………End of story! All the decisions, as in most military actions are taken way up the food chain.

The ‘brave soldiers’ are a lot of the time just as much victims as the school teachers.

If I may go back to the OP question, 'oldsailor35' Sorry, but I think you taking your frustration on the wrong "bods" You mention the military and the 'brave soldiers' as if they all get together at a weekly BBQ and decide the job list for the week. The 'brave soldiers' do what they are told, they go where there taken….. and sadly die, sometimes a long way from home…..doing what they think is there duty………………End of story! All the decisions, as in most military actions are taken way up the food chain.

The 'brave soldiers' are a lot of the time just as much victims as the school teachers.

Mine is not to reason Why , But to do and Die.:crying:

^ you make my point.

Get real JurgenG..................what man in his right mind would take his wife and kids there to live knowing that they WILL all be murdered. That is a stupid suggestion.

Far from it. It is the only solution. Like Afghanistan. The military cannot " capture/kill" their way out.

You have to breed them out.

Things have changed since the old days.

BTW: Thanks for winning WWII. Good job.