Working On O Visa

If the question is whether he can work on an O-visa without a work permit, the answer is no.

If the question is whether he can apply for a work permit with an O-visa, the answer is yes.

I am looking forward to your update at the end of this week. Thanks in advance.

This does in fact vary from area to area - Phuket Labour, for instance, insist on a current non immigrant B visa status for new WP applications.

However you can receive a new or extend an existing work permit if you have for example moved to an extension of permission to stay based on marriage to a Thai, this preserves an original non immigrant B status.

If the question is whether he can work on an O-visa without a work permit, the answer is no.

If the question is whether he can apply for a work permit with an O-visa, the answer is yes.

I am looking forward to your update at the end of this week. Thanks in advance.

This does in fact vary from area to area - Phuket Labour, for instance, insist on a current non immigrant B visa status for new WP applications.

However you can receive a new or extend an existing work permit if you have for example moved to an extension of permission to stay based on marriage to a Thai, this preserves an original non immigrant B status.

Well, one way is to ask Phuket Labour to call to Bangkok and get an update on the law. The law is the same all over Thailand, even if Phuket Labour is not aware of it."Nuff said, the ball ball is in your court now.

Is your wife Thai and do you have a tambien samrot ?

And, what's your age ?

I am 47, my wife is Thai, and I do not know what a Tambien samrot is. I also don't understand the questions but hope this will help assess my situatiion

Not sure if you are talking about visas or extensions of stay - but loss of employment only effects extensions of stay so will assume that is the subject.

You can obtain a work permit regardless of having an extension of stay for work or Thai wife and there should not be any issue on that as non immigrant visa entry on other than retirement is what they need to be concerned with. If the work office will not allow initial O visa for issue of the permit you can play there game and get a B visa entry and then extend for marriage after 60 days and make everyone happy.

I think I didn't explain this enough. I still have a visa until september. maybe I should take this in stages. can I work on an O visa (married to a Thai and we have 2 kids, both born in uk but with Thai birth certificates). I have been told I can work with O visa to support my family.

Cheers

Neil

You cannot work without a work permit, but I guess your question is another one: "Can I apply for a work permit with a non-O visa?" And the answer is yes.

Thank God! somebody who understands the question (though you do say you are guessing)

You cannot work without a work permit, but I guess your question is another one: "Can I apply for a work permit with a non-O visa?" And the answer is yes.

Thank God! somebody who understands the question (though you do say you are guessing)

Gees, people do love arguing the benefits of apples compared to keyrings...

I thought your question was obvious, you are on an o-visa, you are applying for a WP, you've been told you need a b-visa to apply for the WP, you want to know if you can work on an o-visa (as opposed to a b-visa), IF (and as long as) you get the WP... then yes, it is possible.

To everyone who just want to argue the semantics:

Of course you can work on an O-visa, as long as you get a WP. As a comparison, can you work on a tourist or retirement visa? No, not under any circumstances, as no WP will be issued to persons holding this visa type.

We can argue the semantics of working on visas (or for which visa types WP will be issued) vs having a WP any day, how about we just focus on what the OP asked... I did think the question was obvious, even if the answers were not.

Short answer, yes.

No you cannot work with an O Visa.

It is illegal!

You need a Work Permit.

I hope you are not teaching English! :unsure:

You did read the question, didn't you? He's applying for the WP, but wants to know if he can do so if he is on a non imm-o type visa. Working on this visa is totally LEGAL, as long as he gets the WP...

Another way to look at the question: To get a WP, you need a visa, of which a non imm-o(in this case by/because of marriage) is acceptable!

Is your wife Thai and do you have a tambien samrot ?

And, what's your age ?

I am 47, my wife is Thai, and I do not know what a Tambien samrot is. I also don't understand the questions but hope this will help assess my situatiion

A Tambien Samroot is a Thai marriage certificate.

With that and all the proper paperwork (criminal record, income statements, etc, all optional if you know someone, or a few people) you can get a non-o in Bkk.

Or at any Thai consulate in the world.

They still are only good one year at a time.

And you have to do every three month exit and re-entries.

I don't do extensions.

I just get my non-o every year through a friend at immigration.

And if you want to teach why not just get the school to dial you into a 1 year non-b ?

It's been a while so I can't remember but you did say that you are, have been/or want to teach, right ?

You can work on an 'O' visa IF you have a work permit yes. If you don't then no you can't.

The only difference between applying for a work permit on an 'O' visa and a 'B' visa is that you are allowed to work whilst your application is being processed when on a 'B' visa but you are not allowed to work until you have the work permit in your hands if you are on an 'O' visa.

Remember, this is like New York.

You can do anything if no one knows.......

Red light, what red light and how much is the whiskey and girl money, I mean fine for that action sir ?

...With that and all the proper paperwork (criminal record, income statements, etc, all optional if you know someone, or a few people) you can get a non-o in Bkk.

I don't do extensions.

I just get my non-o every year through a friend at immigration...

Could you scan and post your one-year non-O visa you got from Bangkok immigration office and with which you have to leave and re-enter Thailand every three months? This is one type of visa that is still missing in my collection.

In a separate recent thread I was told that if one is on the initial entry, so still the first 90days of marriage visa, applying for a WP should be no issues.

However, if applying on an EXTENSION based on marriage, the labor dept. could be difficult in issuing the WP.

Like Soutpeel said, depends on the people processing and if they've had their Somtam yet. :rolleyes:

This is Thailand my friend.

Now would be a good time to start becoming friends with some people with stars.

Be they army, police, immigration, whatever

And some folks with mid level government jobs too.

They will eventually be the bosses...

Ex: My buddie at Thai immigration in Bkk just got another star last month.

He is very proud, as well he should be.

It wasn't easy.

He had to take a 120 day class and pass EVERYTHING, test/quiz whatever, on the first try.

Been my friend for almost 10 years and watched him climb the ladder.

It used to be I was much higher then him status wise.

White rich guy, Thai wife and 2 kids, speak Thai, know lot's of 'big' guys...

Now he is a big man and remembers when I was his friend before he could have been useful to me.

So first we were good friends, then better and now he's a big boss.

He would have this whole thing solved by someone who works for him in 24 hours.

Welcome to the land of smiles. :D

...With that and all the proper paperwork (criminal record, income statements, etc, all optional if you know someone, or a few people) you can get a non-o in Bkk.

I don't do extensions.

Could you scan and post your one-year non-O visa you got from Bangkok immigration office and with which you have to leave and re-enter Thailand every three months? This is one type of visa that is still missing in my collection.

When hell freezes over !

I don't do extensions.

When hell freezes over !

First of all I have no idea who you are or what your real intentions are.

Secondly, all my personal info. is not your business

and thirdly scanning and emailing things of this nature is not, in my humble opinion, the most secure thing to do.

If you want it in your 'collection' (lord knows why you would have a collection of this fashion. If I did it would fill a suitcase) go get one yourself maestro (teacher) Adjarn, whatever....

I don't do extensions.

When hell freezes over !

and thirdly scanning and emailing things of this nature is not, in my humble opinion, the most secure thing to do.

If you want it in your 'collection' (lord knows why you would have a collection of this fashion. If I did it would fill a suitcase) go get one yourself maestro (teacher) Adjarn, whatever....

He keeps examples of stamps and visas to assist others with their questions here on Thai Visa, and I'm sure expects you cover personal details if you submit something. If you would have looked at the link he provided, you would have seen that. However feel free to carry on in ignorance.

Edited by beechguy

1. A non immigrant O visa does not require a criminal record (expect your chances are better without such a record).

2. A non immigrant O visa is issued by a Consulate. There is no such Consulate in Thailand. Any issue of a multi entry visa while inside Thailand would be invalid.

3. A work permit on a retirement extension is not unknown as people have had in the past - currently there are not normally issued.

When hell freezes over !

He keeps examples of stamps and visas to assist others with their questions here on Thai Visa, and I'm sure expects you cover personal details if you submit something. If you would have looked at the link he provided, you would have seen that. However feel free to carry on in ignorance.

Thanks for the O.K.

I am so relieved that I have your approval.

I will carry on ! :whistling:

It is illegal!

You need a Work Permit.

You did read the question, didn't you? He's applying for the WP, but wants to know if he can do so if he is on a non imm-o type visa. Working on this visa is totally LEGAL, as long as he gets the WP...

Another way to look at the question: To get a WP, you need a visa, of which a non imm-o(in this case by/because of marriage) is acceptable!

You need a non-immigrant visa to get the work permit. The does actually not specify the class.

That said, I have heared that WP's are not issued on retirement (non-O-a) visas. Kind of understandable.

It is illegal!

You need a Work Permit.

Why dom people that obviously have no real idea come on important topics (to the Op) and stae what must be guesses as fact?

This is utter poppycock. A non Immigrant Visa is required - as long as it has not been stamped with "Can not work" or something similar (my first non-imm 'o' was) - and is not a retirement visa (or I believe a Non-Imm 'O' type "Ed") then its is fine. Many married people here on Non-Imm 'O' for Marriage to a Thai that also have work permits.