Paying Hospital In India

I would appreciate some help please.

I am going to India for an operation and need to pay them 365000 Indian rupee, about 5000 pounds (8000 US dollars).

I was going to pay when I arrived at the hospital, then thought I really did not want a lot of hassle with the credit card company on the day of admission to a hospital, you know the sort of thing, querying who I am or whatever... so I decided I would pay online before I left Thailand with my UK Visa card.

The hospital is first rate, but their online payment system is poor.

The online system does not accept advance payments up to 5000 pounds, it is also not secure - no HTTPS at all!!!

I do not like the lack of security at all!!!

I was thinking instead of simply going to my Thai bank and getting a draft made out in Rupees or pounds or dollars. I have an account with Thai Farmer bank. Would it be a hassle to do this and/or would the fees be expensive???

VIsa charge about 3 percent anyway of the entire transaction.

The reason I am doing this is to avoid any aggravation at the hospital, do you think I am over-reacting and should just use my credit card when I arrive at the hospital - after all it has all been agreed with Visa beforehand - so what can go wrong :blink:

Thanks for your help

Edited by dsfbrit

The most convenient way would be to just use your card at the hospital. You would just call to your card provider in advance and tell them when you will be going to India and the estimated amount of the purchase and location of the vendor. They will then put it into their system, so that when you make the charge it will not be blocked by their "Fraud Detention Department".

I usually do this when ever making a large purchase with my card and have never had a problem.

Thanks for the feedback. Although the SWIFT transfer is a good idea - and probably cheaper, I think I will just use my credit card. I will make sure Visa are fully aware of the payment and the other payments I will make in India as well...

Thanks again for your thoughts on this

Dave...