I Broke My 999S....

Garry

My rear subframe sheared between the rear & front muffler mounting points. Fortunately the two forward mounting points and the Y pipe stopped the muffler and light assembly (still being held quite stiffly mind you) from being gobbled up in the back wheel and perhaps my having a very bad off onto the tarmac.

I had been riding with a buddy for a bout 3/4's of an hour when all of a sudden, when I was backing off and slowing down, I start getting this loud kind of harmonic vibration from the muffler area. I stopped the bike and asked my buddy to see if he could see anything out of the ordinary as I couldn't. I noticed some movement in the muffler, but like I said nothing obvious in bright sunlight.

We called it quits and I took the bike home at a sedate pace.

I carried out my post mortem today and below is what I found. :o

The ony thing I can put it down to, was that a few days ago, we hit some uneven surface (it wasn't obvious believe me) on some highway. I had honestly thought that my buddy and I would have gotten screwed rims, but fortunately the lip was probably no more than a couple of inches high and with a bit of shear luck the tyres and suspension took most of the impact. It certainly rattled me and my mate. We gave the bikes a good once over just to make sure, but again nothig seemed wrong and we finished our ride. On hindsight the damage may have already been done and was just a case of time and more vibration and flex for any cracks to esculate in size. I have a guy lined up to carry out the repair tomorrow.

One thing, at least I have a good opportunity to clean what I normally can't get to. Check you bikes guys, you just never know. Oh and I am having a beer or two tonight :lol: :jap: DSC01080.jpg

DSC01071.jpg

DSC01064.jpg

Edited by Garry

Wow wow wow! That's pretty crazy! I mean I know everyone likes to tease about how fragile Ducati's are, but for the rear subframe to snap like that is pretty disconcerting. Glad you and the bike made it home alright and looks like a pretty straightforward fix, but man, now you're always going to be wondering about how the rest of the frame is holding up... Perhaps time for an upgrade? ;)

Ride On!

Tony

ps. Does your missus mind you stealing her somtam club to prop up your tank? :lol::lol::lol:

Wow wow wow! That's pretty crazy! I mean I know everyone likes to tease about how fragile Ducati's are, but for the rear subframe to snap like that is pretty disconcerting. Glad you and the bike made it home alright and looks like a pretty straightforward fix, but man, now you're always going to be wondering about how the rest of the frame is holding up... Perhaps time for an upgrade? ;)

Ride On!

Tony

ps. Does your missus mind you stealing her somtam club to prop up your tank? :lol::lol::lol:

Hi Tony,

Actually, I'm not worried about the main frame at all. High quality steel tubing. The rear alloy sub frame is known for other cracks. Rear exhaust mount tab amongst other things. I'll keep riding it as I normally do. I see it as just a repair. I've had cracks form in my previous dragbikes. Weld them up, get out for the next race.

See you on the road scag. :lol:

ps: No my missus doesn't know I nicked the somtam club, we have a bunch of them though. :jap: :D

Edited by Garry

Thanks HD,

I'm a member of Ducati.ms and knew about the rear mount on the sub frame for the muffler and the other cracking. I checked my bike when I first bought it and no visible cracks anywhere. Wish I had an 'eddy current machine', probably may have helped me find any possible flaws.

The desmonorthwest info is very informative, thanks :D

Edited by Garry

Trade-in. At Ducati dealership, where they know what they are getting. But will pass on to another rider...

Or an unfortunate fire...

No way I would trust that bike. Just me. I know you say weld and ride but....:o

At least get Ducati replacement (3rd try!) part.

Thankfully, you are here to make the decision. :)

Edited by bobbin

If there is room around the rear subframe, some extra ribs welded onto and over the cracked section would help. Also, if it is hollow, install plugs inside the subframe, weld them in, and then weld the subframe back together. Will be much stronger, and you do not need any extra room to fit strengthening ribs.

Unbelievable Ducati

Toyota/Lexus recalls cars cause they have noise in engine(in Europe they found noise on 12 of the recalled cars):rolleyes:

Kwasaki recalls 650 to replace a cover close to brake pedal since its possible to fit certain shoe size boots inbetween. My slippers didnt fit tho ;)

and Ducati subframe cracks and Ducati does what............................................................. Italian denial

Gary, glad you made it home :D

From reading this thread, and the other threads on the other forums linked, i am down on Ducati. It's NOT a CHEAP bike, and not standing up and covering the rider on an obvious flaw that came from the factory is just crap. There are enough problems reported, that it is a serious issue. If they can't stand behind something they screwed up, then what's the point of wanting a Ducati? On my CBR1000RR there was a Honda recall and they replaced the tanks because it was possible that gas would escape and pollute the environment. On what you got here, you could have been killed. At least the Jap bikes would never allow such a serious flaw to go unrepaired.

Sadly, I have seen this before from other manufacturers. They apply race bike parts to a street bike, but the wear and tear of potholes, etc. busts them up. No potholes on a race track. When this is pointed out to them, they say 'Not our problem, the rider must of abused the bike' It is cheaper for them to do nothing, as the very few who will pursue it far enough - spend the $$$ to pursue them - will get a replacement. For the rest - tough. Eat it.

If there is room around the rear subframe, some extra ribs welded onto and over the cracked section would help. Also, if it is hollow, install plugs inside the subframe, weld them in, and then weld the subframe back together. Will be much stronger, and you do not need any extra room to fit strengthening ribs.

Good idea. If possible weld additional triangular bits into corners and fabricate strengtheners where there is room to give extra strength to an obviously structurally weak-ish part. :)

Guys, let me respond generally to all. I posted this info on the Bikes in Thailand forum just to show what had happened to my bike, how I reckon the cause was and how I'm going about fixing the problem. I don't want this turning into a brand specific hate thread or soap box thread. If you have nothing constructive to say, then go away and make your own melodrama thread, not here please.

1. I will not be selling the bike. Shit happens to expensive and cheap bikes. I'm not crying over it, so don't get yourself concerned about it. This is a known problem area of the monoposto 999's. The two seater's are a steel sub frame. No I don't want one.

2. The bike is six years old and I feel that I have gotten a very good bike for the legal price I paid for it. It's not in perfect, showroom condition, but it is good enough for me. If something breaks, again I'll fix it or get someone who can fix it.

3. I've already talked to the guy getting the TIG welding done. And I've shown the scope of where he can or can't build up weld plus overlay options for extra strengthening (overlapped or inner support tubing, formed plates / gusseting). I'm not going to micro-manage the guy. I've told him what I want and will have it back to me either today or tomorrow, no rush.

4. If it replicates itself again, I have the option to buy a superbike custom steel sub frame or a titanium one from NCR racing. It will more than likely be the NCR racing sub frame. Please, no "it's too expensive" comments! You aren't buying it, see it for what it is, a high piece of workmanship from a reputable supplier in the industry.

0000750100022.png

5. I take to riding the amazing roads of Thailand with the good and the bad (I would prefer the good any day of course), trying to dodge bad areas if I can. If the bike gets damaged, the bike gets damaged. I fix it period. My choice.

Too all my riding buddies, if never stops getting interesting hey what :lol: :jap:

I mean I know everyone likes to tease about how fragile Ducati's are

No, only you.   :rolleyes:
and Ducati subframe cracks and Ducati does what............................................................. Italian denial

i am down on Ducati.

Okay! That settles it! 

I'm trading in my crappy 848 for a wonderful Er6N.    :blink:  

I mean I know everyone likes to tease about how fragile Ducati's are

No, only you. :rolleyes:

i am down on Ducati.

Okay! That settles it!

I'm trading in my crappy 848 for a wonderful Er6N. :blink:

Love the 848, and will happily trade with you :D

doesnt mean I respect Ducati for the way they handle problems

Garry's right - if he wants to ride a 999s in Thailand then good luck to him - these bikes aren't really designed for your average Thai "roads" with all the potholes, cracks, ruts, gaps etc but it's still good fun riding sportsbikes here (especially in the north) so you just have to accept that it might get damaged from time to time. No big deal just get it welded and move on. Won't cost much and as long as it's done well then it should be fine.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you on that. AFAIK the only recall for some 848's was for the rectifier and heat guard.

No offical acknowledgement from Bologna for a widely known radiator issue, even though I'm on my 3rd one, all changed under warranty by Ducati Thonglor, who have been very good.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you on that. AFAIK the only recall for some 848's was for the rectifier and heat guard.

No offical acknowledgement from Bologna for a widely known radiator issue, even though I'm on my 3rd one, all changed under warranty by Ducati Thonglor, who have been very good.

This is the website I use for most of my recall searches: http://www-odi.nhtsa...ecallsearch.cfm

That recall for the 848 rectifiers & heat shield was also brought up in the US for all Ducati Superbikes through 2008 & 2009. Nothing else showing officially for the 848.

Edited by Garry

Bad luck it broke, but good luck that it didn't cause you a major off. I'm of same mind, just weld it back up, maybe with an extra bit of bracing an keep riding. Personally, I like the 996 more than the 999 due to the headlight/fairing setup, but it's still a beautiful bike and I wouldnt get down on Ducati's cos of something like that...shit happens.

I received the sub frame back today. Looks fine, perfectly aligned. The guy did exactly as requested. Internally strengthened with alloy tubing. I'll reassemble the bike first thing in the morning.

DSC01086.jpg

DSC01090.jpg

DSC01088.jpg

Edited by Garry

Bad luck it broke, but good luck that it didn't cause you a major off. I'm of same mind, just weld it back up, maybe with an extra bit of bracing an keep riding. Personally, I like the 996 more than the 999 due to the headlight/fairing setup, but it's still a beautiful bike and I wouldnt get down on Ducati's cos of something like that...shit happens.

Most definitely happy that I didn't have a major off because of it. Just by design it stayed together and supportive enough that it didn't get hung up in the back wheel. :D

Edited by Garry

I put the bike back together this afternoon. It took bit longer than normal to reassemble the back end. I just needed to clean up a few items that hadn't seen the light of day (cleaning wise) since manufacture I would guess :D I'm pretty fussy with my bikes, so I actually pulled off more things to make sure all was good.

DSC01104.jpg

I put the bike back together this afternoon. It took bit longer than normal to reassemble the back end. I just needed to clean up a few items that hadn't seen the light of day (cleaning wise) since manufacture I would guess :D I'm pretty fussy with my bikes, so I actually pulled off more things to make sure all was good.

DSC01104.jpg

Nice Toy.

Good to hear, that you fixed everything to your satisfaction.

Have nice rides with it...but try to avoid the holes.......

Nice Toy.

Good to hear, that you fixed everything to your satisfaction.

Have nice rides with it...but try to avoid the holes.......

Thanks...pot hole didn't cause it though, but I will keep my normal lookout. I intend taking a photo today of this ledge (for want of a better word) in the road. :)

Good to see you got the jigger back together again. Your safe......what's all the fuss about?

Yeah, same here. I couldn't see the fuss either. I broke it I, fixed it and I'll keep on riding it. :D :jap: