Strange Farang Phenomenon

61guitarman61

Some love folks from Isaan, some loathe them .... I doubt most farang could tell where in Thailand a Thai comes from. They might ascribe dark skin and small noses to Isaan but that totally disregards the south (or in fact any part of the country if a person works outside!)

You hear it as soon as someone opens their mouth.

So many of our members only associate with bottom feeding Thais in the entertainment industry and thus, rightly, view the word 'farang' as having a negative connotation. :whistling:

Nice theory, but no cigar. I associate plenty with people who I suspect you (derogatorily and unnecessarily) call bottom feeders, and I think 'Farang' is the most sensible word out there for 'Westerner' in colloquial language. Farang is two syllables. The next best one would be something like 5 words/syllables. So if I can't be bothered to switch to the formal one then I sure as hell am not going to expect any Thai to do it when just chatting with me or anyone else.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by the way I am 100% of Asian ancestry even though my family has resided in a non-asian country for many generations,

KT, I'm really, REALLY baffled now. Why on earth would you be so offended by the word "farang?" You're not even a farang. I can't imagine the Thais calling you a farang. You don't have a dog in this fight. Why lose any sleep over this at all? Seriously.

:) Yeppers and even if he was born and bred in Germany --- he'd be Asian (khon asia) to the Thais. Strangely I don't think he'd be offended by it.

Getting back to the original post, I too used to be insulted at the way I'd automatically smile at another Westerner (in a place where there were few others around), only to have them blank me.

Having lived here a few years I still smile/nod at Westerners I come across when there aren't many around (unless I'm in a bad mood...), and even make a funny comment when it arises in a check-out queue or whatever (shock, horror)!

In those circs they always laugh and talk back (even though there are lots of Westerners around).

I feel sorry for those Westerners who, for whatever reason, need to be rude to other Westerners.

Getting back to the original post, I too used to be insulted at the way I'd automatically smile at another Westerner (in a place where there were few others around), only to have them blank me.

Having lived here a few years I still smile/nod at Westerners I come across when there aren't many around (unless I'm in a bad mood...), and even make a funny comment when it arises in a check-out queue or whatever (shock, horror)!

In those circs they always laugh and talk back (even though there are lots of Westerners around).

I feel sorry for those Westerners who, for whatever reason, need to be rude to other Westerners.

It would be rude not to acknowledge someone that acknowledged you, but honestly do you acknowledge every tout in Thailand?

I'll nod back at someone but honestly I am usually on a dead run and don't have time for idle chitchat most of the time. When I want social interaction I have friends or on the very odd occasion I will take the dog to the coffee shop ... it brings Thais and foreigners to me in droves. Let's face it though, some of us are curmudgeons and that personality travels well ;)

It would be rude not to acknowledge someone that acknowledged you, but honestly do you acknowledge every tout in Thailand?

I'll nod back at someone but honestly I am usually on a dead run and don't have time for idle chitchat most of the time. When I want social interaction I have friends or on the very odd occasion I will take the dog to the coffee shop ... it brings Thais and foreigners to me in droves. Let's face it though, some of us are curmudgeons and that personality travels well ;)

You're missing my point (or I expressed it badly) - I only smile/nod in recognition of a similar person in a similar situation (obviously not tourists).

I'm not about to start up a conversation!

My experiences upcountry may be different than some other people's experiences. Farang often try to strike up random conversations. I know I am a bit evil, but I really don't have much in common with folks in that situation usually and just can't be bothered. If it looks as if it will be more than a nod or grin ... I try not to see it ;)

My experiences upcountry may be different than some other people's experiences. Farang often try to strike up random conversations. I know I am a bit evil, but I really don't have much in common with folks in that situation usually and just can't be bothered. If it looks as if it will be more than a nod or grin ... I try not to see it ;)

Fair enough - I've been caught out a few times too, the friendly smile/nod was met with their life story!

To be fair they're obviously so lonely that they need to strike up a non-stop story with a random stranger who has just acknowledged them. But I still feel sorry for them so give them a little time.

To respond to the OP,I would agree that saying hello to every farang stranger in Khao San, Sukhumvit or Pattaya would be a bit odd but in a rural setting I think it is quite normal.

In Big C in Nakon Sawan, farang have been commonplace for a while now, but if I make eye contact with one I always say hello and it amuses me when as sometimes happens they will look away. I don't get offended, I just think what a cock. On the other hand it's not unusual for farangs to stop and chat, and I've had a few interesting conversations with people.

I think possibly these people just do not want farang company, and think that a casual word may lead to a social invitation and that is what they are avoiding.

As regards the 'con-man'' aspect, I've never had a stranger try and put the bite on me.

To respond to the OP,I would agree that saying hello to every farang stranger in Khao San, Sukhumvit or Pattaya would be a bit odd but in a rural setting I think it is quite normal.

In Big C in Nakon Sawan, farang have been commonplace for a while now, but if I make eye contact with one I always say hello and it amuses me when as sometimes happens they will look away. I don't get offended, I just think what a cock. On the other hand it's not unusual for farangs to stop and chat, and I've had a few interesting conversations with people.

I think possibly these people just do not want farang company, and think that a casual word may lead to a social invitation and that is what they are avoiding.

As regards the 'con-man'' aspect, I've never had a stranger try and put the bite on me.

Yeah I quite agree. Actually I thin its quite fun to see - two sets of farang being dragged around BigC by his Mrs pass in the tinned tuna aisle - its a look, and a passing comment and a chuckle as we carry on our merry way.

Like others have said your skin color does not entitle you to a greeting. It would look foolish to go up to an unknown person and say hello. However if im fishing somewhere and i see an other farang i do try to say hello or communicate and most of the times i get acknowledged.(they got no where to run :D )

I dont pull the same stunt in the Big C or carefour, maybe if im behind them in the cue other then that going out of my way to say hello does look a bit strange to me.

This subject has been discussed in the past.

I think that people also have the tendency to overlook the fact that just because you're Caucasian or western looking does not mean you even speak English either and just acknowledging someone else could be an uncomfortable position if they can't have an actual conversation..

There are also numerous other nationalities here that come from only recently open societies and aren't used to socializing in such an open manner given the previously closed and restrictive nature of their origins. Many of the eastern block nations come to mind for example..

Yes,usually see them around in Tesco Lotus and other Supermarkets or Multi Complexes.

They Just roll into Town once a month to do the Shopping,often with a Pickup full of Thais,who have come to see the Great Metropolis. Like in the old Cowboy days, and then its back to the Bush and reality.

It's Just the type that has gone Native,don't speak because they don't want anything to remind them that they are not Thais,and never will be.

The Dreamer, landowner (3 Rais) with A Catfish Pool,called a Catfish Farm, and a few sticks of Rubber or Eucalyptus trees,called a Plantation, and not forgetting the Mansion they built for 300,000 baht.

And they were probably anti social and boring,back in their own Country.

Dont worry about it,it's no great loss!

Edited by MAJIC

Jdinasia. Your right. That was a jackass statement. My bad.

Curious and off topic.

I understand Thais and their biases with Issaner's, but have never quite understood why farangs hate them so much.

BTW I taught my 6 yr old nephew to yell "Big white-boy" whenever he sees us. Funny as sh*t.

OP: can you imagine this conversation IRL ?

I had no idea what a hotbed topic this could turn into. I was only interested in how some other western transplants thought about what I had noticed. IRL I think most of the conversation content I have seen would only be spoken after about 5 pints of ale had been consumed. So many raw nerves it seems. I thought this was the land of the "easy life" where all the pent up hostilities and anxieties and stick-up-the-arse snobbishness would melt away - especially in those who have been here for a decade or more. But it would appear that many just drag all the western crap here with them and then wallow in it. What a waste.

by the way I am 100% of Asian ancestry even though my family has resided in a non-asian country for many generations,

KT, I'm really, REALLY baffled now. Why on earth would you be so offended by the word "farang?" You're not even a farang. I can't imagine the Thais calling you a farang. You don't have a dog in this fight. Why lose any sleep over this at all? Seriously.

:) Yeppers and even if he was born and bred in Germany --- he'd be Asian (khon asia) to the Thais. Strangely I don't think he'd be offended by it.

Responding to an earlier post, trust me, I haven't lost a wink B)

I usually get lumped in to the erronous category of being Indian or Pakistani (khon khaek), however "khon asia" by definition refers to people from the continent of Asia even though the Thais mistakenly think "khon Asia" refers only to the dated term "oriental," southeast or north east asian peoples.

Everyone has a different and unique set of circumstances. My personal circumstance is that when I'm out I'm usually doing something, and like was mentioned earlier, I'm usually busy.

I already have more friends than I could have asked for.

I definitely maintain my western identity, but respect those who take the plunge.

When it is social time I usually will strike up a conversation with short term tourists as the are interesting to me and only want chit-chat.

Like I mentioned were all different. If someone smiles or nods at me I return it. I seldom initiate.

For me, life is like taking a shower at the gym. Head and eyes straight forward trooper!

Everyone has a different and unique set of circumstances. My personal circumstance is that when I'm out I'm usually doing something, and like was mentioned earlier, I'm usually busy.

I already have more friends than I could have asked for.

I definitely maintain my western identity, but respect those who take the plunge.

When it is social time I usually will strike up a conversation with short term tourists as the are interesting to me and only want chit-chat.

Like I mentioned were all different. If someone smiles or nods at me I return it. I seldom initiate.

For me, life is like taking a shower at the gym. Head and eyes straight forward trooper!

Lol ....................... fair enough ............................. :D

Nah, just saying that if your contact with Thais is limited to prostitutes and Beach Road t-shirt vendors that you will unsurprisingly be stung by the gawking of 'falang falang falang.'

I have never felt offended by the word farang. When it is said here in my village it absolutely has no bad meaning at all. I do feel that Thais in the tourist area's are much more out to get you then over here. Its not even that far out of Bangkok. I like it here.

Like others have said your skin color does not entitle you to a greeting. It would look foolish to go up to an unknown person and say hello. However if im fishing somewhere and i see an other farang i do try to say hello or communicate and most of the times i get acknowledged.(they got no where to run :D )

I dont pull the same stunt in the Big C or carefour, maybe if im behind them in the cue other then that going out of my way to say hello does look a bit strange to me.

This subject has been discussed in the past.

I think that people also have the tendency to overlook the fact that just because you're Caucasian or western looking does not mean you even speak English either and just acknowledging someone else could be an uncomfortable position if they can't have an actual conversation..

There are also numerous other nationalities here that come from only recently open societies and aren't used to socializing in such an open manner given the previously closed and restrictive nature of their origins. Many of the eastern block nations come to mind for example..

I can always try german or if im really lucky Dutch. But i think my thai already supasses my schoolbook french :D

OP...Maybe your desperation for a farang friend is too obvious and its scares them off........do you wink at them also ??

More of a nervous twitch than a wink really. I usually try to cover by "winking" the other eye immediately following the twitching eye's rapid winking activity, but then they generally either take a defensive stance or run away from me.

Does my querie about this subject really make me sound that needy? LOL

Snubbing someone simply because of the color of his skin is as silly as befriending everyone for the same reason. Some people are unfriendly but others are simply shy and mean no harm or insult. People are just different and there is no need to stereotype.

Most of us develop a sense about who we may have something in common with, and well, not so much in common with. Starting over in Chiang Rai after living in Bangkok for thirty years was different. I had to tweak and refine my social skills to find friends up here but there is no longer any sense of what this topic is about.

There are many factors at play, but the only ones you have influence over are your own social skills. If you live someplace like the Rai, you will over time make peace with this issue, as I have, as your network of friends and acquaintances grows. :)

For sure.

Try some dating sites, many have area specific search options, find other farang there and send them a message asking if they would like to catch up.

Just explain that there is nothing sinister about your approach, but after your failures in the supermarkets and streets, you thought this might be a less invasive option.

Good luck.

I usually get lumped in to the erronous category of being Indian or Pakistani (khon khaek), however "khon asia" by definition refers to people from the continent of Asia even though the Thais mistakenly think "khon Asia" refers only to the dated term "oriental," southeast or north east asian peoples.

Actually, if it is in Thai ... the Thai usage is where you pull the definition from, not your understanding of geography :)

For sure.

Try some dating sites, many have area specific search options, find other farang there and send them a message asking if they would like to catch up.

Just explain that there is nothing sinister about your approach, but after your failures in the supermarkets and streets, you thought this might be a less invasive option.

Good luck.

Those are helpful suggestions. I'd also check out the website www.lonelyfarangNparadise.com, where like-minded individuals can share their tales of woe and criticize with impunity all the inconsiderate "farang sellouts" for ignoring their good-natured invitation to converse about all things farang. There's also a video game called "Smile Back or Else!" where you can blast strangers to smithereens if they fail to acknowledge your friendly gesture appropriately. And then there's the self-help group called "How to Win Friends and Convince Complete Strangers that You're Not a Psycho Creep." I think any or all of these suggestions would help you in your time of need.

For sure.

Good luck.

Those are helpful suggestions. I'd also check out the website www.lonelyfarangNparadise.com, where like-minded individuals can share their tales of woe and criticize with impunity all the inconsiderate "farang sellouts" for ignoring their good-natured invitation to converse about all things farang. There's also a video game called "Smile Back or Else!" where you can blast strangers to smithereens if they fail to acknowledge your friendly gesture appropriately. And then there's the self-help group called "How to Win Friends and Convince Complete Strangers that You're Not a Psycho Creep." I think any or all of these suggestions would help you in your time of need.

i went to the link but it doesn't work?

Western civilisation is overcrowded, mostly white farang males want to escape it and so are in a phase of wanting space and distance. This has been shown throughout history, if you do your research.

In the previous decades there was a lot more independent-minded farangs in Thailand, with the advent of the mainstream tourist hordes you get, shall we say, the lowest common denominator showing up more and more for 2 weeks then going home.

This is basically why there's a 'coldness' between other farang.

I mostly disagree on the ethnic / racial lines being drawn.

In fact I think other races, ideologies come closer together while in Thailand. I've seen jews (Israeli one's at that!), aryan-germans , saxons etc getting close and mixing it up in bars without fights etc. Not saying there isn't clashes, but I think, once you're away from the capital area farang's get on fairly well to an extent. Part of this is because, in an asian country, being a farang is first and foremost and then it's your ethnicity etc.

Nah, just saying that if your contact with Thais is limited to prostitutes and Beach Road t-shirt vendors that you will unsurprisingly be stung by the gawking of 'falang falang falang.'

I have never felt offended by the word farang. When it is said here in my village it absolutely has no bad meaning at all. I do feel that Thais in the tourist area's are much more out to get you then over here. Its not even that far out of Bangkok. I like it here.

There's actually a way of embracing that 'farang' gawking they do but you need to know Thai language and your (real!) ancient history in order to respond to it.

Once you do that, the 'farang' label becomes a badge of honour. :)

Actually, if it is in Thai ... the Thai usage is where you pull the definition from, not your understanding of geography :)

Sorry jd, I'm not going to be pulled into an argument about coloquial usage vs. standardized, and believe me I've read plenty of Chomsky.