Sending Money Back Home

In terms of the discretion given to the BNanks by the Bank of Thailand, evidence of how much you have earned in Thailand should be produced. a letter from your employer is sufficient. Take with you also your passport, passbook and full details of your bank account in home country. May save you multiple trips to the Bank

I tried setting up the "foreign remittance service " with Bangkok Bank. It was supposed to be available through their online Banking. I provided my work permit, letter from my employer (stating salary), passport, etc but in the end they simply didn't allow it.

The mindset is really against the idea of sending money out of Thailand, and even though banks have policies in place for it they are not known about or are ignored. "Cannot," "No have," etc.

The easiest way is still to purchase dollars (or pounds) from a currency exchange booth in a tourist area and then physically transport the cash abroad to be deposited. This only works of course for small (<a few thousand dollars) amounts of money.

If you have a Thai debit card that can be used online (such as the Kasikorn bank web card) you can "charge" it out of the account and into a Paypal or moneybookers account, then transfer it to another bank account. Only use Moneybookers for this however if your destination account is in Euros, otherwise you'll get it hit with foreign exchange fees several times.

Good luck.

Correct...no issue of course you need to put on the form "family support/expenses"

EH ??

I drop the remainder of my salary into my Aussie account on the day prior to pay day, I dont have to put anything on anything..... But then I do this all online.

I tried setting up the "foreign remittance service " with Bangkok Bank. It was supposed to be available through their online Banking. I provided my work permit, letter from my employer (stating salary), passport, etc but in the end they simply didn't allow it.

The mindset is really against the idea of sending money out of Thailand, and even though banks have policies in place for it they are not known about or are ignored. "Cannot," "No have," etc.

The easiest way is still to purchase dollars (or pounds) from a currency exchange booth in a tourist area and then physically transport the cash abroad to be deposited. This only works of course for small (<a few thousand dollars) amounts of money.

If you have a Thai debit card that can be used online (such as the Kasikorn bank web card) you can "charge" it out of the account and into a Paypal or moneybookers account, then transfer it to another bank account. Only use Moneybookers for this however if your destination account is in Euros, otherwise you'll get it hit with foreign exchange fees several times.

Good luck.

I've never tried it online but have never had a problem going into the bank and doing it in person.

Just show the bank your work permit and it's no problem to send money home.

Correct...no issue of course you need to put on the form "family support/expenses"

That's good news to know it won't be a problem. Family support means a lot to Thais, so I'll remember to put that on the form. Thank you very much.

Why would you have to have a work permit? I pay bills in other countries by wiring money from my Thai bank account. I have accounts at Bangkok bank, Kasikorn and Siam. I also buy cashiers checks to mail to other countries. No one asked me for a work permit to open the accounts or to send money. Has someone had a problem sending money to a foreign bank without a work permit?

EH ??

I drop the remainder of my salary into my Aussie account on the day prior to pay day, I dont have to put anything on anything..... But then I do this all online.

If doing it in a branch, you need to fill in form for the BOT and need to state the purpose of the transfer....."family support" has never had a come back...:D

Then again, I have sent money out of Thailand for quite a few years...just do everything on line these day out of my Singapore account

I have found Thai banks are ok for day to day transactions, but get into anything reasonably "complicated" and you are going to have problems, at least through Singapore they speak proper English and actually understand their business and customers...;)

• 2 weeks later...

Would just like to say that yesterday afternoon I went to my bank, Bank of Ayudhya , Sukhumvit Road, Pattaya, and sent home 650,000 baht. Everything was carried out extremely professionally and smoothly. I was not asked for a work permit or why I was sending the money home. The commission was 1,700 baht.

I checked my bank account this morning and the money is there, so very pleased with the whole process.

• 3 weeks later...

I think different people here are talking about different things...

1. You can always pay for a SWIFT wire transfer of funds in a Thai bank account to be sent internationally ...by going into the branch and filling out the necessary documents for each transaction. I don't know if there is any maximum amount limit on that, but a work permit shouldn't be required.

2. At least some Thai banks, I know BKK Bank specifically, has an international remittance procedure that allows people to send funds abroad on a recurring basis using the bank's online banking setup. But, the catch is, all the paperwork must be done in advance, and for farang, it's supposed to be only for "family support" and the bank will require you to show proof of employment and salary in Thailand. Not working, can't use that method.

3. Then there's third party money handlers like Paypal or Moneybrokers or Western Union...

• 2 weeks later...

Would just like to say that yesterday afternoon I went to my bank, Bank of Ayudhya , Sukhumvit Road, Pattaya, and sent home 650,000 baht. Everything was carried out extremely professionally and smoothly. I was not asked for a work permit or why I was sending the money home. The commission was 1,700 baht.

I checked my bank account this morning and the money is there, so very pleased with the whole process.

That's good to know.

I was going to start a topic on this subject but maybe you answered my question.

I am hoping to sell my house in the next six months and wonder how to get the money back to the Uk. My wife said she can make transfers of around 500,000 baht or so for a charge of 1,500 baht per time. This sounds similar to what you did. I wonder how many times I could do it without problem? Have you done it more than once?

Thanks.