Denied Tourist Visa In Laos.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you apply for a Retirement or Marriage type O Visa outside Thailand, your money does not need to be in a Thai Bank. it should be in your home country bank or proof or afidavit of Income Notorized by your Embassy, Counsular office, or a Notary in your country or show proof of income to the Thai Embassy or Consulate.

Trying to just skate by to live in Thailand is not desirable nor a good idea. Either you have the money or annual income or retirement pension to support yourself, or you don't.

Never use a Visa Service to try to do it for you. I know many people that went to jail and had to appear in court costing them hundreds of thousands of THB for having a supposed Fraudulant Visa Stamp in their passport in the early 2000's.

If a person does not have the money to properly support themself legally in Thailand, then best not to try to stay here indefinately on Tourist Visa's.

Not saying that all that want to be here and don't have income or money are bad, but we all know the stories of a few that makes it bad for the rest.

Get a proper Visa for your proposed stay here and no worries. If not, then go home, work, save money, then come back as a Tourist.

Or "learn" how getting a proper Visa is done legally and do the leg work yourself.

Beware of counterfit Visa Stamps. You won't know until you are in the Grey Bar Hotel with mother and father rapers sleeping on a cold floor without bedding.

Edited by TacoBoy

my friend is on his way back to pattaya (from vientiane). he SMS me, that - after many years of accepting TR Visa - he did not get any more TR Visa. even not a single. he is coming back tonight with 14 days stay and he does not know what to do now. end of the year he will be 50 and things will get better...

regards

So why was he refused a TR? Too many back to Back? what reason given?

my friend is on his way back to pattaya (from vientiane). he SMS me, that - after many years of accepting TR Visa - he did not get any more TR Visa. even not a single. he is coming back tonight with 14 days stay and he does not know what to do now. end of the year he will be 50 and things will get better...

regards

So why was he refused a TR? Too many back to Back? what reason given?

Perhaps your freind pushed his luck too many times at the same embassy? If he has doing this for years-why on earth did he not go the ed-visa route?

It seems to me that there is no limit on re-entries since they changed a law a couple years ago. If she refused you, she refused you on a whim, not based on any law.

Anyone wanting to get a visa exemption stamp can get a 2 week stamp by land(simply by crossing the border and coming back) or a 4 week stamp by air.

I've done this many times, flying Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur return the same day new 4 week stamp...thank you; I've also crossed to laos and back the same day via the Mekong. Did they change the law? <deleted>?

Sorry to hear you and many others still have to play the annoying and expensive game of taking jet flights to and from Thailand. What a pain in the ass expense - plus mega polluting and time wasting. Next time the Thai gov't makes a claim of 'lessening greenhouse gases' (example: EGAT wanting nuke plants for that reason) ....we can say, 'yea, reducing greenhouse gases sounds good, but you (the Thai gov't) are forcing thousands of farang to take unnecessary jet trips every month. Each trip produces about 1 pound of g.gases per mile (those adept at math can figure out the Kg/Km amount) - which winds up putting hundreds of tons of greenhouse gases in to the atmosphere each month. Airlines love it, so too do hotels and taxis, but the whole messy business of forcing people to take jet trips (for visa runs) could be ameliorated if Thai officials could devise a simple way for visa renewals in-country.

Here's another spin on the same problem: my town of Chiang Rai has dozens of gov't offices covering hundreds of rai and employing thousands of pretending-to-be-busy gov't workers. Yet C.Rai doesn't have a visa office - go figure.

from pattaya id go to koh kong. there are agents providing at least the single entry for 50 us$. or going to phnom penh, there everyone can get the single entry in one day for 19$ (with agent, just ask at ur hotel).

the agent said he can provide the visa no matter how many visas are already in the passport... payment only if the visa is granted.

Where is koh kong ? never heard of it ... also isn't the ' free or waived cost ' of TV's finished at the end of February ??

Thanks,.:rolleyes:

Koh Kong is the other (cambodian) side of Had Lek (Trad)... about 5 km from the border. btw: google is your friend...

from the time the visa fee has to be paid again the visa fee of course it to be paid on top, so 50visa fee. same for the one heading to phom penh. the one day service will be 19$ + visa fee then.

Edited by zappalot

It seems to me that there is no limit on re-entries since they changed a law a couple years ago. If she refused you, she refused you on a whim, not based on any law.

Anyone wanting to get a visa exemption stamp can get a 2 week stamp by land(simply by crossing the border and coming back) or a 4 week stamp by air.

I've done this many times, flying Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur return the same day new 4 week stamp...thank you; I've also crossed to laos and back the same day via the Mekong. Did they change the law? <deleted>?

Sorry to hear you and many others still have to play the annoying and expensive game of taking jet flights to and from Thailand. What a pain in the ass expense - plus mega polluting and time wasting. Next time the Thai gov't makes a claim of 'lessening greenhouse gases' (example: EGAT wanting nuke plants for that reason) ....we can say, 'yea, reducing greenhouse gases sounds good, but you (the Thai gov't) are forcing thousands of farang to take unnecessary jet trips every month. Each trip produces about 1 pound of g.gases per mile (those adept at math can figure out the Kg/Km amount) - which winds up putting hundreds of tons of greenhouse gases in to the atmosphere each month. Airlines love it, so too do hotels and taxis, but the whole messy business of forcing people to take jet trips (for visa runs) could be ameliorated if Thai officials could devise a simple way for visa renewals in-country.

Here's another spin on the same problem: my town of Chiang Rai has dozens of gov't offices covering hundreds of rai and employing thousands of pretending-to-be-busy gov't workers. Yet C.Rai doesn't have a visa office - go figure.

No one is being forced to take jet flights. If a Tourist, visas are available, if interested in residing in Thailand they should apply for the appropriate visa or extension of stay, even the under 50 aged crowd have some options, most just choose not to make the effort.

No one is being forced to take jet flights. If a Tourist, visas are available, if interested in residing in Thailand they should apply for the appropriate visa or extension of stay, even the under 50 aged crowd have some options, most just choose not to make the effort.

I was referring to the under 50 folks - many of whom feel compelled to jet out and back. A colossal waste of money plus a heavy infusion of fossil fuel exhaust to the environment - except that's often the most plausible way to comply with the Byzantine Thai visa regs.

Why does Chiang Rai town need a "visa office". Maesai isn't convenient enough just 50 km away? For the thousands of farangs in CR?

Why should the number of Thai government workers relate to requirements for a "visa office"?

You'd be upset if people abused the tourist visa route in your home countries and you're now upset that you can't abuse the tourist visa route in Thailand.

Go figure.

before u say what u want to say just compare the advantages/risks a tourist in thailand has from (ab)using a tourist visa and what advantages/risks a average thai has if he/she (ab)use a similar visa to a western country....

anyway i dont understand why the people criticizing tourists for using tourist visa. there is no law in thailand that limit being a tourist.

is it better then in their opinion to be a false student to get an ed-visa, even if they dont have any intention to learn or using a non immigrant visa for being a tourist (which is not appropriate)? a tourist is a tourist and no regulation can change that.

i found my way for now. traveling more often to phnom penh. the city is nice and is more charming in my opinion than bangkok. i am looking forward to get my tourist visa number xx in PP end of april, as i can get unlimited tourist visas there...

Edited by zappalot

The World Tourism Organization defines tourists as people who "travel to and stay in places outside their usual environment for more than twenty-four (24) hours and not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business and other purposes not related to the exercise of an activity remunerated from within the place visited."

As of this definition i am clearly a tourist. Not being a resident of one country does not mean i am a resident of another country. someone permanently traveling to enjoy place by place is a tourist.

and again: where is the thai law saying tourism is limited to 2, 4, 6... months? so far no answer from anyone.

The World Tourism Organization defines tourists as people who "travel to and stay in places outside their usual environment for more than twenty-four (24) hours and not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business and other purposes not related to the exercise of an activity remunerated from within the place visited."

As of this definition i am clearly a tourist. Not being a resident of one country does not mean i am a resident of another country. someone permanently traveling to enjoy place by place is a tourist.

and again: where is the thai law saying tourism is limited to 2, 4, 6... months? so far no answer from anyone.

:) completely failing to address my point. If you RESIDE in Thailand you are not a tourist. What some tourism organization states does not make a meaningful definition for a particular country. The consular staff at embassies and consulates worldwide have the authority to make decisions on a case by case basis. If they decide you are residing in Thailand and thus not a tourist then that is what you live with until you find a place that will give you the tourist visa.

If they decide...

and this is the problem. they dont know anything about me, they dont ask any questions, absolutely nothing and "they decide".

and u or others wonder why its hard to accept these on zerro information based decisions?

and why should someone accept a definition made by totally non-informed officials, decisions made without any scientifically based background?

and thai-nationals traveling around in thailand are called tourists but foreigners doing the same are residents?

and please do some research first - allmost all scientifically based definitions for a tourist/tourism are similar to the one i offered. in europe u can study "tourism" on some german universitys - so there have been people seriously done some research on this issue - a decision by an embassy from an underdeveloped country wont change science...

Edited by zappalot

Yet again --- you fail to address that you RESIDE in Thailand.

Yes there is domestic tourism (which when YOU travel in Thailand is what you do).

Yes it is a bit arbitrary ... but tell us ... how long have you resided in Thailand on TV's? How long is your lease on your house is your wife doesn't own it? Would you really prefer to go back to the more restrictive definitions?

In the country I come from a TV stay is only allowed for 6 months MAX.

Edited by jdinasia

It's not a zero information based decision. They've seen several back-to-back visas in your passport. They've refused you because they accuse you of using the tourist visa route to remain in Thailand on a long term basis (even the touts wouldn't touch you with a barge pole!). You didn't even take steps to argue that you are in Thailand for legitimate reasons; your immediate response was to look for somewhere that turns a blind eye to the number of back-to-back visas in your passport, ergo you are not a legitimate tourist and are using the tourist visa route to remain indefinitely.

If you study a tourism based degree, your course is not concerned with generating scientific research into developing the definition of tourist or tourism! They are about developing an understanding of the key skills, approaches and techniques that you will need to manage a successful international hospitality or tourism operation.

You didn't even take steps to argue that you are in Thailand for legitimate reasons...

we never met, u weren't the one behind me when i was in Vientiane but u know what i did/not did?

u should apply at the thai embassy as u pretend to be able to read the crystal ball as well...

You guys remind me of beggars standing on the street, and then get angry when someone doesn't give you something anymore. The Consulate in Vientiane does not owe you anything, if you want to reside in Thailand , get the correct visa. If really a tourist then apply somewhere else if you feel you are being abused.

You guys remind me of beggars standing on the street, and then get angry when someone doesn't give you something anymore. The Consulate in Vientiane does not owe you anything, if you want to reside in Thailand , get the correct visa. If really a tourist then apply somewhere else if you feel you are being abused.

I agree. The Embassy in Laos seems to be suggesting that people using back-to-back Tourist Visas are not tourists and are residing in Thailand. People are only automatically entitled to reside in a country they are citizens of. The fact, that at this time, Thailand will allow unlimited border runs for 15 days, or unlimited flights in/out for 30 is still pretty amazing.

I can only relate the experiences of 3 acquaintances of mine (whose nationalities are of little importance but were; a Dane, an American and a Scotch) when they went to Vientiane last week.

They were ALL denied Double entry Tourist visas. :( Two of them were able to get a single entry. :) One was denied a visa entirely :o and came back to Thailand on a 15 day visa exempt stamp. YES, before you ask, they ALL had more than a few back to back Tourist visas in their passports, several coming from Vientiane.

FWIW: I just called TWO well known visa run services and both owners told me; IF someone has 2 or 3 back to back tourist visas in his passport they won't even let them board their bus to go to on their visa run to Vientiane. Instead they take them to the Cambodian border (where they stay at a hotel for 2 days) and run the passports to Phnom Penh via courier to get a tourist visa. Both companies also said that so far there haven't been any problems with going this route.

Also there is an unconfirmed report that Vientiane may start charging for Tourist Visas before the 'official' government 'promotion' runs out on March 31st. Again, this is unconfirmed and was only related to me by the owner of one of the visa run companies as having come from his contact at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane last week.

I wouldn't take it as gospel, but neither would I discount it out of hand as pure speculation, this being Thailand and all. :whistling:

Now once Tourist Visas arent free anymore will the consulates ease up on their issuing. Certainly handing out free Tourist visas isnt a cash cow for the embassy. Perhaps once money is involved again it will have a way to provide a better incentive to the embassy staff, but only time will tell.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the latest info I have about the current situation in Vientiane. :D

Edited by tod-daniels

SO.....Will the Thai embassy in Lao be any more lenient with visas when they are not free?

Maybe the more relevant question we should ask is whether the income generated by these visa fees is actually kept (100% or otherwise) by outside embassies such as the (so called) visa factory in Lao?

I would have assumed that the paper trail from each tourist application obviously has to be entered into the Thai immigration system, therefor wouldnt all the income derived (or part therof) have to be passed onto the Thai Immigration division in Thailand?

Does anyone know for sure whether the income generated at the embassy in Lao is actually kept by them OR passed on into the system?

I would think the embassy staff may be paid their wages from Thailand regardless of how many visas are granted...but then again TIT and we all know that wherever tea money is involved all bets are off :whistling:

Just returned from Vientienne

I too was refused a Tourist visa (single or double)

Too many back to back

That is the bad news

Here is the good news lol

The exact same reason I was refused a tourist visa is the same why I qualified for a non immigrant single entry visa

So instead of panicking just get a new form and apply for a non o

My guess is that the non o costs 2000bt and the embasssy have to make their money somehow lol

In the end it will cost only 100bt more for 3 months

Tourist Visa(60 days) free plus extention (30 days) 1900= 1900

Non immig O 2000 (90 days)= 2000

Btw You won't get a non imm multi entry i tried that and i had the gf with me so that helped

Hello i have the same problem refused in Vientiane. How old are you to get Non O 90 days?

I have family relations a baby, but you have to be 50 and over to get a Non O for family visit.

Norm

Will they likely refuse a TR visa in Vientianne if the only other one I have in my passport is the TR from Hull in UK which I am currently on, In other words they dont refuse Back to back TR if the visa you are currently on is from your country of residence?