Wife Wants Money

oshoshitzu

She has not been back to Thailand since 2006 and wants to visit her family in Isan. Any opinions on what is a reasonable amount to give her for a month's stay? Wife reckons she will need to splash some cash EG: Tam boon (make religious merit), buy food for the family etc

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You ask a bunch of strangers about what to give the person you married, and planned to live with rest of your life?

Surely you got to know her and the cultural background before you married?

What would you like to have of spending (and living) money if the roles were reversed?

;)

I just can't believe you post such a question. :blink:

If your wife hasn't seen her family for almost 5 years how much do YOU think she would need?

Of course she feels like spending some cash for the reasons you gave. Her family would be very disappointed and consider you as not taking care for her very well if she wouldn't be able to show she's living a good life.

She would lose face and it will bounce back on you.

Be generous within your own limitations, if any.

LaoPo

You ask a bunch of strangers about what to give the person you married, and planned to live with rest of your life?

What would you like to have of spending (and living) money if the roles were reversed?

;)

Spot on, :D,

but l must add, depends how many problems the extended family have, WHICH she will be told about on arrival. :lol:

If your wife hasn't seen her family for almost 5 years how much do YOU think she would need?

Of course she feels like spending some cash for the reasons you gave. Her family would be very disappointed and consider you as not taking care for her very well if she wouldn't be able to show she's living a good life.

LaoPo

My wife asks what kind of merit does she want to do? Could be big money for some types of merit. My wife said 1,000,000 baht right away, I am still trying to get up off the floor. With this lady being six years away from Thailand, she needs to make sure her family is alright and does good merit. Will need big money, depends on your budget.:bah:

mario299

LaoPo

My wife asks what kind of merit does she want to do? Could be big money for some types of merit. My wife said 1,000,000 baht right away, I am still trying to get up off the floor. With this lady being six years away from Thailand, she needs to make sure her family is alright and does good merit. Will need big money, depends on your budget.:bah:

mario299

And also, my wife say the other wife should say how much she needs, not up to him only,

mario299 :jap:

;)

but l must add, depends how many problems the extended family have, WHICH she will be told about on arrival. :lol:

I guess if the family come up with some sort of sudden problems, she can always say she should have known it prior to arrival, so she could have arranged for more money.

:D

By the way, OP, if your wife wants to pay respect to the recently passed Monk, I think a million would be in order.

;)

;)

I guess if the family come up with some sort of sudden problems, she can always say she should have known it prior to arrival, so she could have arranged for more money.

:D

By the way, OP, if your wife wants to pay respect to the recently passed Monk, I think a million would be in order.

;)

Gosh, really, then l have recently passed, let her know. :).

OP joined in 2005, only 11 posts.

Could this be a 'sleeper troll?'

With the answers he got from you lot I don't bloody blame him for 11 posts.

I posted earlier today too and got a right earful for nothing, actually trying to help!

I'm sick of some of the people in this forum, I only came back recently and noticed nothings changed,

Men acting like whiney little bitches cos they have nothing else to do except show how much of a man they are on an internet forum.

This place used to be good but now all people do is attack.

Sort yourselves out u bunch of girls and get a life.

I posted earlier today too and got a right earful for nothing, actually trying to help!

I'm sick of some of the people in this forum, I only came back recently and noticed nothings changed,

Men acting like whiney little bitches cos they have nothing else to do except show how much of a man they are on an internet forum.

Settle, petal

I respect your point.

:)

Question,

what advice would you give to OP?

Settle, petal

You know I'm sure deep down you agree with me.

Settle, petal

You know I'm sure deep down you agree with me.

Actually, I don't

I've always believed in the old saying: "Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer"

The OP asked a bloody stupid question, I am simply replying in kind.

I respect your point.

Question,

what advice would you give to OP?

You know what its not even the advice thats given, its the way its given.

Some people are so <deleted> horrible to people just asking for a bit of advice,

well, the answer I always get to 'how much do you need?' is always 1,000,000 baht!

So I've stopped asking :)

Family members 'back home' wherever that may be, always think the person who has emigrated has an endless supply of money. Some of my friends here in London who go back 'home' to various countries always come back with tales of how their family expected all their financial needs/wants to be instantly gratified.

I suggest she take the exact amount she would have in your home to last a month, that way they can see that, while she may have more than them, it's not a magic money pot that never runs out.

Tam boon? It's in an envelope anyway but if she wanted to make up for the time she's been away...1,000 I reckon is loads. Anyway, there's plenty of Wat all over the world so there's no need to presume she hasn't been doing it when she's been away.

I know the expectation will be there for her to now be 'kon ruay' but the sooner that gets nipped in the bud, the better.

All of the above, of course, is only my opinion. :)

I've always believed in the old saying: "Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer"

Ahh, but if he is a sleeper, it is not a stupid question, just look at the responses he will get!!

Last year on our holiday back to our Issan home town it cost us about 8000 - 10000 for food and alcohol for a big 'welcome back' afternoon in the village. The aunts, uncles, cousins, neices, nephews and anyone else who wanted to, got gifts, drunk and/or a full belly. The Wat got their donations and my wife, myself and in-laws were all happy.....This has been fairly standard practice in Thai daily life and on each return home, and in my experience is a very nice time for all concerned.:jap:

I can't answer the OP on how much his wife will need for a month, but, if their little slice of Issan isn't as hard to please as my little slice of Issan - and I'm guessing that nobody has to impress anyone overly, a nice party for the locals, with particular attention to the needs of the elderly, frail and direct relatives should suffice.(A few hundred bucks at most). The OP's added expenditure may well be worked out by muliplying their wife's average daily cost x 30 plus, (I'll say), 30% holiday loading?

The OP should bear in mind that most of our family's village members are well aware or where my wife and I are coming from so the same rules may not apply to all Issan sons-in-law ......That and my wife doesn't like to part with money unless it's vital or spending it results in her adorning herself with more gold.:) .

Ahh, but if he is a sleeper, it is not a stupid question, just look at the responses he will get!!

That's one angle Moss, it could actually be a very clever and well put question.

We may never know.

I agree with some of the posts on here. The guy just asked for some f******g advice, not a pisstaking session.

In answer to your question, I don't know your financial circumstances, but if it were me, in the absence of any other considerations, I would consider 50,000 baht spending money a generous amount, and I'd tell her to spend it all.

I agree with some of the posts on here. The guy just asked for some f******g advice, not a pisstaking session.

In answer to your question, I don't know your financial circumstances, but if it were me, in the absence of any other considerations, I would consider 50,000 baht spending money a generous amount, and I'd tell her to spend it all.

Cool, perhaps l could tag along. :D

OP, bloody stupid question really. but £100 a week perfect, unless she's going to the disco's and stuff like that so l think you should post an itinerary for a more fitting figure from different parts of the country. :)