Marriage On A Visit Visa To Uk Possible?

Holders of a general visit visa can marry in the UK if they first obtain a Certificate of Approval from the Home Office; unless they marry in the Church of England when a CoA is not required.

See Applying in the UK - certificate of approval.

If holding a marriage visit visa then a CoA is not required.

Marrying whilst in the UK as a visitor, general or marriage, does not entitle one to then apply for settlement while still in the UK. One must still leave the UK when or before the visit visa expires and then once back home, if one wishes to do so, apply for settlement there.

I am 100% sure that you can not come to visit the UK then once here, pop in to get married !!

Sorry slightly misread the OP's post, no you cannot on a VAF1A but you can apply using a VAF1F it is still the same cost and just requires some additional paper work,

• Evidence to show that arrangements have been made for either notification of the marriage or civil partnership or for the marriage or civil partnership to take place during your visit.
  • Evidence to show that you are free to marry or enter into a civil partnership e.g. decree nisi, decree absolute, death certificate of previous partner.

I'm referring to a general visitor's visa which is the VAF1A form. ( General visitor's Visa)

So marriage is not a possibility even if there are NO plans to remain in the UK after the marriage takes place? The main purpose is to visit family for a month and perhaps register a marriage before returning to Thailand. We have a business/house here and have no desire to remain in the U.K or apply for ILR.

So, do I still need a 'marriage Visa' even though it's just an afterthought?

Thanks for all your replies! :jap:

I'm referring to a general visitor's visa which is the VAF1A form. ( General visitor's Visa)

So marriage is not a possibility even if there are NO plans to remain in the UK after the marriage takes place? The main purpose is to visit family for a month and perhaps register a marriage before returning to Thailand. We have a business/house here and have no desire to remain in the U.K or apply for ILR.

So, do I still need a 'marriage Visa' even though it's just an afterthought?

Thanks for all your replies! :jap:

Not sure why you you do not want to go the marriage visa route?

I think if you were more serious about your intentions it would be the right way to go if you intend to return and live in Thailand.

But seems changes are in the wind:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/32-coa-changes

So marriage is not a possibility even if there are NO plans to remain in the UK after the marriage takes place?.........So, do I still need a 'marriage Visa' even though it's just an afterthought?

Marriage is possible, but at present she will need to obtain CoA or you will need to marry in the Church of England.

See my post above.

@ 7by7 ..sorry, I missed that post..thank you.

@ basilb...The main reason is to visit family with marriage as an afterthought but after reading 7by7's post I think the marriage visa is the best way to go.

Thanks to all of you for your help :jap:

In which case, see Special Visitor: Marriage/Civil partnership visit (not settlement).

Remember that the other visit visa criteria, accommodation, funds, reason to return etc, still need to be satisfied.

I am not sure what the effect on future applications would be if you did not actually marry on this visit. Probably minor, if any, but she would probably need to explain why you had not done so.

The UKBA LOST the trial on this in the European Court.

How long are they going to drag their feet before getting rid of the CoA requirement that has already been ruled illegal? (and that they've already stated that they won't appeal on...)

It was taken to court by a Catholic woman on the basis of why should a catholic person need government approval to marry when a Church of England person doesn't. (and the case was won in the European Court - fairly obviously.

Legally no difference at all; UK marriages are recognised in Thailand and vice versa, provided it is the legal registration at the ampur. Religious marriages are not legally recognised in Thailand and so not legally recognised in the UK either.

However, if considering settlement in the UK then it is cheaper if already married; see this post.