Thai Culture Test... On Hold..?

justaphase

I just spoke to an agent who recruits teachers for several private schools just outside Bkk

He told me that the Education dept. have announced this week that the Thai culture course is no longer a requirement to teach (or to renew visa)

Any comments or verification of this would be gratefully excepted, as i am due to pay for said course tomorrow...

:jap:

I phoned 2 Thai culture course centres just now... they both say the Teachers council called them 2 days ago to say the courses should be postponed.

The Krurusapah website says nothing, the culture course number for them is 022806226, but no answer...

Interesting news. If that's the case then do we still need a teacher's license to get the visa renewal? I've just applied for my second waiver with no culture course documents (i live in the sticks and just totally forgot about it). So, that being the case, hopefully it won't be a problem getting the second waiver as i have to go for my new visa & WP at the beginning of next month.

This is probably a sign of infighting amongst those who could possibly garner a cut of the brib- er, fees. Will it mean those who already took the hideous, useless 'culture course' will have to do another course? Probably. Will it mean that while they fight proper bureaucratic bridges will exist to insure that teachers in situ continue to have the legal paperwork? Probably not. Will obsequious non-native speakers still be photocopying test questions randomly to create the 'tests'? Almost certainly.

Off-topic but related. The only news I've read is that the work permit requirement rules have changed. When working at either a private and government school, not being a university, you've to submit the teacher license as set by the Teachers' Council of Thailand when applying for a work permit.

Off-topic but related. The only news I've read is that the work permit requirement rules have changed. When working at either a private and government school, not being a university, you've to submit the teacher license as set by the Teachers' Council of Thailand when applying for a work permit.

And what about the waiver?????

No. It just means that the old regs have hit their expiry date and will probably be extended again as soon as someone signs all the paperwork.

I doubt you will see any significant changes.

Thats not what a member of the teachers council said on Saturday.. Words like "longer" and "more expensive" were mentioned.

The waiver is still in use. But you will need the culture course for the waiver.

Another source from the council said after the 2 years is up you will be expected to take the tests. Kind of "What you been doing for 2 years then?".. no more time!! And the waiver is based on the individual, not the school. So changing schools is no longer an option.

No. It just means that the old regs have hit their expiry date and will probably be extended again as soon as someone signs all the paperwork.

I doubt you will see any significant changes.

Thats not what a member of the teachers council said on Saturday.. Words like "longer" and "more expensive" were mentioned.

The waiver is still in use. But you will need the culture course for the waiver.

Another source from the council said after the 2 years is up you will be expected to take the tests. Kind of "What you been doing for 2 years then?".. no more time!! And the waiver is based on the individual, not the school. So changing schools is no longer an option.

So, if you need the culture course for the waiver and the culture course is on hold, what is one supposed to do? There should have been a culture test in my province this month but, it was cancelled due to a lack of numbers. I have therefore applied for the waiver without the culture test documents. Maybe, i'll be looking to another country come the end of this month...

I'm sure everyone posting on this thread is sincere but so far all that's been posted is 3rd-hand information. The TCT's website hasn't changed nor have I seen reports on other forums about any changes.

3rd hand..? up to you what u think.. I spoke to two members of the council on Friday and Saturday last week. NO MORE FOR NOW THEY ALL SAID.

The Krusapah website hasnt been updated. Letters were sent to various organisations on Wed last week to let 'everyone' know of the changes.

Im sorry they didnt contact you......

@bhoydy.. there is a course on the 18, 19 and 20th.. the last one. Its run by a member of the council herself.... 3500.. PM me and I'll get you in. Really nice apartments nearby too.. 500 baht a night.

Edited by justaphase

I've just heard from the person running one of the 20-hour courses that they have been told by letter from the TCT not to offer any more courses. My information is also 3rd hand, so I can't say it's confirmed, just that I feel it's probably true.

Not sure why anyone would want to spend money on this thing now that it seems to have been discontinued. If you have, cancel and get your money back.

I've just been told that there is a course going ahead in Nakorn Sri Thammarat at the end of this month. Is this just a money-maker before the rules change? How do i find out anyway? Ah well i'll find out what i'm doing soon enough, my visa's almost expired...