Australia Lets Thai Oil Firm Stay Despite Spill

webfact

Australia lets Thai oil firm stay despite spill

SYDNEY, February 4, 2011 (AFP) - A Thai government-owned company behind Australia's worst oil spill was on Friday given the go-ahead to continue local operations but will be subject to a rigorous government monitoring program.

PTT Exploration and Production's response to issues raised by the massive Montara oil spill in the Timor Sea two years ago was a key factor in renewing their licence, Australia's Energy Minister Martin Ferguson said in a statement.

"The company has cooperated fully throughout the review process and demonstrated significant changes to improve its leadership, governance and operating practices," Ferguson said.

Still, its production and exploration licences could be cancelled any time in the next 18 months if the firm fails to meet strict new standards, he said.

A wellhead at the company's Montara oilfield leaked oil and gas condensate for 10 weeks off Western Australia's northwest, in 2009.

Thousands of barrels of oil poured into the sea before it was capped, prompting conservationists to warn of an environmental catastrophe for the region's marine and bird life.

An independent report into the August 2009 incident found "widespread and systemic" shortcomings in PTTEP's procedures were a direct cause of a loss of well control.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-02-04

I am soon to return to Oz, after 3 years in Thailand, all I can say to this is

<deleted>,

clearly the descision maker for this has absolutely no idea about the OH&S, corruption, Shortcuts, Degrees not worth the paper they are written on, etc here.

They should have lived here & experienced it.

I am sure the outcome would have been different if they had.

Even B.P. screw up, so what chance for PTT ?

Looks like the Aussie government are going to have to be the defacto operators, through their checking & enforcement.

& dont even get me started on that B/S free trade agreement between Thailand & Oz, thousands of import duty free cars going into to Oz, Ever seen the price of an Aussie bottle of red here !

Does anyone on this site - think for one second that this would be reciprocated - if it was the other way around?

No way! Thailand treats farangs like scumbags. Thai's are free to buy land and do business in other countries - but treat 14% of their GDP like crap

I just wish that the Australian Government would act on that one. This is a very huge injustice.

This is a huge act of forgiveness on the part of the Australian Government - (or most likely funds under the table).

But it will not be returned by the Thai's in any way.

For the record, - yes I do live in Thailand and I am married to a Thai woman. We have a child.

I am Australian. Over the many years I have been here, - I accept that the Thai attitude is very discriminatory towards foreigners. I try to live with that.

No room for any errors at the official level. However, - generally, - I like the Thai people. Most are very warm beings.

It just gets to me, that my wife can buy land in Australia, the USA or Europe, and own it 100% - but Farangs here are handcuffed (literally).

Yet the Australian Government - in spite of the worst oil spill in Australian history is allowing the Thai Government company to continue.

Unbelievable!

This needs further protest and work. I hope that all you Aussies out there - protest.

Yet the Australian Government - in spite of the worst oil spill in Australian history is allowing the Thai Government company to continue.

Has the US allowed a British company to continue in the Gulf of Mexico...:whistling:

The one thing you havent considered my skippy friends in your little rants........ROYALTIES paid to the Aussie goverment....:jap: ....Money talks...bullsh*t walks

The platform is pretty remote from Thailand and would probably be managed from Australia. I worked on rigs in Thailand working for PTT and it was always(at that time, mid 2000s) foreigners who were running the show onboard. Oz is pretty strict and I would think that Thai participation on board that unit would have been mimimal.

As to the rest of the rants about Thais owning parts of Oz, the Chinese are close to getting most of Australia, bit by bit. Selling ore and coal is just like pawning your oil. Just there to be sucked out and sold.

Well, like the U.S. with BP, the oil company paid someone off, but the public already got word of this before BP was allowed to go any further. Thailand they paid off some official to just turn the other cheek.

And I am pretty sure if you sent these remarks to either BP or PTTEP, you would be getting a lawyers letter by return post suing you for libel, do you have any facts to quote to back this up...:whistling:

What happened in Aussie waters and the Gulf of Mexico could have happened to anyone of the worlds operators, lest not forget Exxon and a few others, so very wrong to single out PTTEP just because its a Thai company or suggesting bribes are paid to turn the other cheek...

The platform is pretty remote from Thailand and would probably be managed from Australia. I worked on rigs in Thailand working for PTT and it was always(at that time, mid 2000s) foreigners who were running the show onboard. Oz is pretty strict and I would think that Thai participation on board that unit would have been mimimal.

As to the rest of the rants about Thais owning parts of Oz, the Chinese are close to getting most of Australia, bit by bit. Selling ore and coal is just like pawning your oil. Just there to be sucked out and sold.

Correct

Think you will find there was no Thai participation on-board that unit.....The rants coming out are from people who have no clue of how international O&G works....as you know yourself there could be 14 or 15 nationalities on a particular facility

The thing I find most amusing as how some of the posters managed to get in they cant own land/property in Thailand and "Thai attitude is very discriminatory towards foreigners" into a discussion about an oil spill on a rig operating in Aussie waters...:blink:

Well, like the U.S. with BP, the oil company paid someone off, but the public already got word of this before BP was allowed to go any further. Thailand they paid off some official to just turn the other cheek.

And I am pretty sure if you sent these remarks to either BP or PTTEP, you would be getting a lawyers letter by return post suing you for libel, do you have any facts to quote to back this up...:whistling:

What happened in Aussie waters and the Gulf of Mexico could have happened to anyone of the worlds operators, lest not forget Exxon and a few others, so very wrong to single out PTTEP just because its a Thai company or suggesting bribes are paid to turn the other cheek...

Soutpeel is probably not too far from the truth ... your comment regarding ' if you sent these remarks to either BP or PTTEP, you would be getting a lawyers letter '

seems irrelevent considering the statement posted ... He was simply stating his opinion, which is applauded , and as most educated people are aware ... $$ turns heads and gets things processed. Do I get a letter from anyone for that.

Bribes exist in every country : US , Australia , Thailand , England , and any other you care to name .... it's just some are more transparent than others .. :jap:

Just my opinion.

I am always amazed by the levels of denial a keyboard, a bottle of Chang and no hope of living elsewhere brings...

To all those saying "stop whingeing about Thailand" and "why do farang here not accept Thailand" well why the h*ll should we?

I pay more tax here than most Thais, I have a Thai family here and yet you expect me to bend over and just accept the racism and poor attitude towards of foreigners - why should I?

Anywhere else in the world allows not just it's citizens but ALL of its residents, whether indigenous or on a visa, to have an opinion except China, Burma and a few other places.

Your censure of our real opinions just serves to add to the way the people are put down here.

And you might also like to look a little more deeply at the situation. Behind every action is a cause. I did not come to Thailand feeling such disgust for the country and I doubt did the other posters here. This feeling was created by the behavior of the local people towards us.

Go figure!

As someone said yesterday on Twitter, "how can you respect a people that have no respect for their own people?" Wise words...

Oh, and before I get the obligatory predictable "why are you here then?" and "go home!" lines...

I am here because I have a family and business, but yes we are gone as soon as we possibly can without getting cheated too much by the locals on the sale of anything!

I am always amazed by the levels of denial a keyboard, a bottle of Chang and no hope of living elsewhere brings...

To all those saying "stop whingeing about Thailand" and "why do farang here not accept Thailand" well why the h*ll should we?

I pay more tax here than most Thais, I have a Thai family here and yet you expect me to bend over and just accept the racism and poor attitude towards of foreigners - why should I?

Anywhere else in the world allows not just it's citizens but ALL of its residents, whether indigenous or on a visa, to have an opinion except China, Burma and a few other places.

Your censure of our real opinions just serves to add to the way the people are put down here.

And you might also like to look a little more deeply at the situation. Behind every action is a cause. I did not come to Thailand feeling such disgust for the country and I doubt did the other posters here. This feeling was created by the behavior of the local people towards us.

Go figure!

As someone said yesterday on Twitter, "how can you respect a people that have no respect for their own people?" Wise words...

And once again I will state...what has your little rant got to do with an oil spill on an oil rig in the Tasmin sea ?

I fail to see the connection between your post and other previous posts related to property purchase rights in Thailand/"Thai attitude is very discriminatory towards foreigners"

and the events surrounding this terrible incident in the Tasmin sea

It may interest you to know that PTTEPAA is based in Perth and one of the top men is called a Mr Kalnin, (doesnt sound like a Thai name to me)

It is very apparant to me that you are very bitter towards your life in Thailand and i am sorry to hear that, but please dont start suggesting other people making reasonable comments on this topic are in denial/under the influence alcohol while posting/ have no hope of living awaywhere else....a reflection of your own life perhaps, but certainly not my circumstances, as I dont like Chang, and prefer a decent bottle of red wine and can choose to move to another location anytime I wish, and currently remain in Thailand working as I am paid exceptionally well for what I do....:jap:

Well good for you, Soutpeel. If you are paid extremely well to live here then you are far from the norm and certainly not the norm on TV...

I am not going to answer all your points but don't get too literal about the Chang but do try to understand that if you look at forums in other countries you will not see the depth of bitterness against locals you see here and on other Thai forums. Two conclusions - the foreigners here are all bad eggs OR the country has not treated them well... Which do you think?

By the way, I too can choose to live pretty much anywhere I want and believe me it won't be Thailand.

The key point here is to understand why every post about a particular story descends into a Thai bashing exercise by many. Again I say, go figure! ...rather than pointing out the very obvious that this story is about an oil spill. I think we got that and don't want to hijack the sad nature of that incident.

Go figure!

And once again I will state...what has your little rant got to do with an oil spill on an oil rig in the Tasmin sea ?

I fail to see the connection between your post and other previous posts related to property purchase rights in Thailand/"Thai attitude is very discriminatory towards foreigners"

It may interest you to know that PTTEPAA is based in Perth and one of the top men is called a Mr Kalnin, (doesnt sound like a Thai name to me)

It is very apparant to me that you are very bitter towards your life in Thailand and i am sorry to hear that, but please dont start suggesting other people making reasonable comments on this topic are in denial/under the influence alcohol while posting/ have no hope of living awaywhere else....a reflection of your own life perhaps, but certainly not my circumstances, as I dont like Chang, and prefer a decent bottle of red wine and can choose to move to another location anytime I wish, and currently remain in Thailand working as I am paid exceptionally well for what I do....:jap:

Go figure!

Although my feelings have not yet dropped to the level of disgust they certainly move that way a little more each day. I otherwise most sincerely share your belief.

Edited by walterego

I would have hoped that everyone except Fox News has now realised that the B in BP has very little left to do with Britain.

Like everything else which was once British and valuable, it was sold to the highest bidder.

The UK is one of the whores of the world, and not a role model for land ownership laws, safety regulatory bodies or much else.

So as several posters have already hinted at, most major oil companies including the one in the OP are essentially multinationals which do not answer to national governments.

For the record, - yes I do live in Thailand and I am married to a Thai woman. We have a child.

I am Australian. Over the many years I have been here, - I accept that the Thai attitude is very discriminatory towards foreigners. I try to live with that.

No room for any errors at the official level. However, - generally, - I like the Thai people. Most are very warm beings.

It just gets to me, that my wife can buy land in Australia, the USA or Europe, and own it 100% - but Farangs here are handcuffed (literally).

Unbelievable!

This needs further protest and work. I hope that all you Aussies out there - protest.

Well it cost BP £4 Billion to correct their leak,last year,

and Thailand gets what appears at the moment, a Free get out of Jail Card.

I don't get it?

I would have hoped that everyone except Fox News has now realised that the B in BP has very little left to do with Britain.

Like everything else which was once British and valuable, it was sold to the highest bidder.

The UK is one of the whores of the world, and not a role model for land ownership laws, safety regulatory bodies or much else.

So as several posters have already hinted at, most major oil companies including the one in the OP are essentially multinationals which do not answer to national governments.

So are you recommending following Thailands Health & Safety Laws? (safety regulatory bodies)

And would you recommend Thailands Land ownership laws to Farangs? considering you can't own land in Thailand, in your own name.

And please inform me why BP answered to the USA over their oil spill error last year (and rightly so, imo),and Obama had a field day,at their expense,or don't you remember?

BP is fact not owned by any one Country,and is just as much American as British,and is owned by the shareholders.

Edited by MAJIC

BP is fact not owned by any one Country,and is just as much American as British,and is owned by the shareholders.

Corrrect, as is PTTEP which is a MNC, and it may interest people to know a significant stakeholder in PTTEP is Total.

This is why I have a major problem with people connecting so called "Thai HSE standards" to what happened in the Tasmin sea, what ever that "standards" are in Thailand have absolutely nothing to do with what happened

Both BP and PTTEP will be paying big money over the next few years as a result of both incidents that is certain

Corrrect, as is PTTEP which is a MNC, and it may interest people to know a significant stakeholder in PTTEP is Total.

This is why I have a major problem with people connecting so called "Thai HSE standards" to what happened in the Tasmin sea, what ever that "standards" are in Thailand have absolutely nothing to do with what happened

Both BP and PTTEP will be paying big money over the next few years as a result of both incidents that is certain

<deleted>, where do you get your information from ??

Less than 1% is significant ?

Of course the standards of the home country have a bearing on the standards of the overseas operations.

PTTEP top ten major shareholders(As of 17 August 2010)

Rank

List of Shareholders

Number of Shares

% of Total Shares

PTT PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED

STATE STREET BANK AND TRUST COMPANY

NORTRUST NOMITEES LTD.

BNP PARIBAS SECURITIES SERVICES LUXEMBOURG

THAI NDVR COMPANY LIMITED

THE BANK OF NEW YORK (NOMINEES) LIMITED

SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE

HSBC (SINGAPORE) NOMINEES PTE LTD

CHASE NOMINEES LIMITED 42

BNP PARIBAS SECURITIES SERVICES, LONDON BRANCH

arrowTop.gifclear.gifTop

Go figure!

Since when has a spokesman been one of the top men?

PTTEP AA spokesman Chris Kalnin

Top 50 or 60 execs, not a farang among em.

http://www.pttep.com/en/aboutPttep_Overview_3.aspx?CatID=1

BP versus PTT.

BP pays up & treis to compensate people fairly

On the other hand

http://theindonesiatoday.com/news-headline/3910-pttep-rejects-montara-compensation-claims-filed-by-indonesia.html

AustraliaNews.com.au - News Results - montara well It has been 15 months since Australia suffered its worst oil spill, but those who were worst affected still have not received any compensation.

I wonder what the difference is?

Go figure!

Since when has a spokesman been one of the top men?

PTTEP AA spokesman Chris Kalnin

Top 50 or 60 execs, not a farang among em.

http://www.pttep.com..._3.aspx?CatID=1

Your well paid job, Is it farang P.R. man for PTT?

Just a thought.

Go figure!

Just for the record , as an Aussie living in Australia and residing in Thailand part time . Most comments on this site would get you branded Rascist and prosecuted under Australian Law . The real discrimination in Australia is that if you are white , working and middle class you will be sued by anyone and everyone who has perhaps the worlds most ridiculous LAWS " protecting " them , if you dare to speak out against inequality for the white Australian or preferential treatment of someone who is not a white Australian . You can not comment on who receives unemployment benefits , special payments for non whites , and why , A News report says that any police reports or calls must state that the " offenders were 2 people . Not 2 pink or purple people :) ? You want discrimination ? , then if you are white and you work , come to Australia . You have a young foriegn wife and family you can all come to be discriminated against together . Get real , in Thailand the only 2 things you need to worry about is how to hang on to your money , and to learn sufficient courtesy so you do not offend people to easily . I think every country should ban foreign ownership of land . Australians have been controlled and discriminated against for a very long time , this was purely the means to allow access for every other race who wanted to come and reside here permanently . As a 6th Generation Aussie I want to leave here permanently because it has become such a shithole to live in , unless you are foreign and getting all the benefits , on welfare or filthy rich . If it means becoming a citizen of another country to be able to own land , then so be it . So if you plan to sell up and leave Thailand because of discrimination , go have a good look first at where you think its any different or better . God forbid you are naive enough to think any European or Western country has something to offer you . Perhaps you could come to Australia by boat , extra special benefits :) , Welfare and handouts with free housing , very good , a lottery winner , yes OK , just a normal average working guy wanting a decent life , go somewhere else you silly person , maybe Thailand , China or Vietnam . A lot of Asian people I know are now returning to their home countries because they can afford to and they get treated with far more repect and its safer than here .Financially worse off maybe , but a better life they say waits for them than here , because they are just normal working people , not on special benefits or extremely wealthy .

Edited by philhal2

Just for the record , as an Aussie living in Australia and residing in Thailand part time . Most comments on this site would get you branded Rascist and prosecuted under Australian Law . The real discrimination in Australia is that if you are white , working and middle class you will be sued by anyone and everyone who has perhaps the worlds most ridiculous LAWS " protecting " them , if you dare to speak out against inequality for the white Australian or preferential treatment of someone who is not a white Australian . You can not comment on who receives unemployment benefits , special payments for non whites , and why , A News report says that any police reports or calls must state that the " offenders were 2 people . Not 2 pink or purple people :) ? You want discrimination ? , then if you are white and you work , come to Australia . You have a young foriegn wife and family you can all come to be discriminated against together . Get real , in Thailand the only 2 things you need to worry about is how to hang on to your money , and to learn sufficient courtesy so you do not offend people to easily . I think every country should ban foreign ownership of land . Australians have been controlled and discriminated against for a very long time , this was purely the means to allow access for every other race who wanted to come and reside here permanently . As a 6th Generation Aussie I want to leave here permanently because it has become such a shithole to live in , unless you are foreign and getting all the benefits , on welfare or filthy rich . If it means becoming a citizen of another country to be able to own land , then so be it . So if you plan to sell up and leave Thailand because of discrimination , go have a good look first at where you think its any different or better . God forbid you are naive enough to think any European or Western country has something to offer you . Perhaps you could come to Australia by boat , extra special benefits :) , Welfare and handouts with free housing , very good , a lottery winner , yes OK , just a normal average working guy wanting a decent life , go somewhere else you silly person , maybe Thailand , China or Vietnam . A lot of Asian people I know are now returning to their home countries because they can afford to and they get treated with far more repect and its safer than here .Financially worse off maybe , but a better life they say waits for them than here , because they are just normal working people , not on special benefits or extremely wealthy .

Just for another, more sensible and balanced record, I am an Aussie living in Thailand and residing in Australia part time.

Most of what you say in the above diatribe is unmitigated nonsense.

You should try changing the station on your radio from Alan Jones or Neil Mitchell for 5 minutes - you may learn a lot.

Now - back to oil spills.

The oil spill was at a site owned by Coogee Resources Limited which had been purchased by PTTEP and renamed PTTEP Australasia Limited about 4 months before the spill. There was not a single Thai person involved in any decision making that caused the spill. The investigation report was very specific in naming several Australian Coogee Resources executives for poor judgment and decisions made before and during the initial problems. The spill occurred just months after the buyout and before PTTEP had a chance to take full control of the company and all its operations.

In fact, PTTEP Australasia Limited is being allowed to continue operations because the parent company, PTTEP. The Australian energy minister said “The company has cooperated fully throughout the review process and demonstrated significant changes to improve its leadership, governance and operating practices”, which one would assume would first consist of running off the previous Australian management team.

TH

The oil spill was at a site owned by Coogee Resources Limited which had been purchased by PTTEP and renamed PTTEP Australasia Limited about 4 months before the spill. There was not a single Thai person involved in any decision making that caused the spill. The investigation report was very specific in naming several Australian Coogee Resources executives for poor judgment and decisions made before and during the initial problems. The spill occurred just months after the buyout and before PTTEP had a chance to take full control of the company and all its operations.

In fact, PTTEP Australasia Limited is being allowed to continue operations because the parent company, PTTEP. The Australian energy minister said “The company has cooperated fully throughout the review process and demonstrated significant changes to improve its leadership, governance and operating practices”, which one would assume would first consist of running off the previous Australian management team.

TH

th, thanks for your very informative post.

But please remember in future that fact-filled posts which have the capacity to cut off ill-informed rants against Thailand/Thais are not welcomed by many members on ThaiVisa. :whistling: