Living Costs For Girlfriend And Son.

gerry67

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was out in the countryside last month, 7-11 had staff wanted posters, 260b a day. Multiply by say 29 working days per month and it's 7500.

And oddly enough they require the equivalent of the highschool diploma.

Just not the ability to add 5 + 7 without the use of fingers and toes.

Those who haven't finished school, which is a large % out in the sticks will probably be working for 200b a day. Offer them 25k a month to sit around doing whatever they want and they'd be thanking the lottery God.

The same as someone sending you 4 times your local minimum wage every month.

Edited by appropriate

May one ask why the OP is asking?

No probs,

I'm currently sending over 25000Bht per month. An amount which I have always thought a bit steep. But with no real experience of living in the bush to ascertain what is a reasonable amount I have found it hard to make an informed estimaite and make any changes.

That is why I am asking for as many replies as possible.

Hope that helps.

G.

How did she survive before you were sending that amount? seems way too much for a village girl. You'll be telling us next that it's not your son, her husband died in a motorcycle accident, and the guy next door is the uncle.

No probs,

I'm currently sending over 25000Bht per month. An amount which I have always thought a bit steep. But with no real experience of living in the bush to ascertain what is a reasonable amount I have found it hard to make an informed estimaite and make any changes.

Hope that helps.

G.

How did she survive before you were sending that amount? seems way too much for a village girl. You'll be telling us next that it's not your son, her husband died in a motorcycle accident, and the guy next door is the uncle.

She had a job. And no it wasnt in a bar or anything in that line of business.

There has never been any doubt of my sons parentage. I am his father.

It might help if you do not base your replies on your own experiences.

If you have anything to say regarding the original question that should suffice thanks.

G.

No probs,

Hope that helps.

G.

She had a job. And no it wasnt in a bar or anything in that line of business.

There has never been any doubt of my sons parentage. I am his father.

It might help if you do not base your replies on your own experiences.

If you have anything to say regarding the original question that should suffice thanks.

G.

You might have gotten different replies if you had said before that it is YOUR son, and that the gf worked in a decent job before.

There is a BIG difference between existing and living!!

Indeed there is.

I can't understand why so many people live such frugal lives here. It can't be enjoyable at all.

One friend of ours never uses his AC even in April because he reckons its too pricey yet I know his income is comfortably in 6 figures (THB) per month.

The mind boggles.

I think that a lot of the figures people present are not true readings of what their overall expenditure actually is. In a previous post I stated that "we" spend 30k a month of necessities and food etc.. What is not present in that figure is what "I" spend a month, I tend to disappear and go wandering around Thailand from time to time, so this means hotels bills and travel costs. So yes, whilst we can live in 30k a month quite comfortably, I would not wish to do it all the time as I would die of boredom!

I wonder how many other posters who quote a fairly low figure for monthly expenditure actually spend more on top that they don't include in that monthly budget?

the problem is, once you've set your stall out at 25k a month its much easier to increase it than to decrease it. I THINK it is a very person decision. feelings trump finances for many here. You have to decide. if it were me, I would have the conversation about face to face, rather than remotely. but then, I am interested in reading the response/reaction.

Good luck, what ever you decide.

One factor that nobody has mentioned yet but must be considered when deciding what is a reasonable amount, is how many brothers,sisters, other family members, hangers on are in contact with your lady. Who needs a new motorbike, what is the state of health of the buffalo? .It is a rare lady that doesn't put her blood family first. Sad but usually true.

The pressures that are put on female members of a family are great and they often make self sacrifice an art form. Many spend up because it is here and now and they believe that Buddha will take care of tomorrow.

OP, I salute you for sending what you do each month. That money is useful to your wife, son, and close family members, most of whom make very little in exchange for very hard work. Is there a possibility that some of the money will occasionally be used for whiskey or gambling? I suppose there is that possibility. But there is also a probability that the money will be used for clothing, food, medical care, transportation, and more things along that line. Well done, and I don't think you need to second guess yourself.

To look on the bright side there are some ladies out there that put the money into their own account - I lived next door to one who delighted in telling me about the money she was making... she thought I'd be impressed, rather than appalled. The difference between Thai culture and Western culture.

To look on the bright side there are some ladies out there that put the money into their own account - I lived next door to one who delighted in telling me about the money she was making... she thought I'd be impressed, rather than appalled. The difference between Thai culture and Western culture.

I know a lady who has three Falang husbands. I dated her when she only had two. She had some spare time then. At first I was a bit appalled too.

But she was beautiful in an international sense. She had everything going for her and natural too. One of those oddities of nature, you could never guess where she was from if you saw her at an international airport. Healthy build, nice complexion and a great smile. She never was a bar girl. She could have made it big time as a dancer but never did. I think her husbands are appalling. How anyone can be so stupid is beyond me. Although who knows what drove them to fund a marriage in such silly circumstances (not being there) is anyone's guess.

I have met a lot of Thai women with two husbands and three boyfriends that seems to be a common combination. It works here because of the community acceptance of the deal. I know for a fact that the kids don't like the arrangement and think mom is a ho. I know that from teaching. Thai mothers have never really impressed me. Thai grandmothers on the other hand seem pretty decent people. I get along well with Thai grandmothers. I am going to marry one some day when I get of marriageable age (80 or so).

I know a lady who has three Falang husbands. I dated her when she only had two. She had some spare time then. At first I was a bit appalled too.

But she was beautiful in an international sense. She had everything going for her and natural too. One of those oddities of nature, you could never guess where she was from if you saw her at an international airport. Healthy build, nice complexion and a great smile. She never was a bar girl. She could have made it big time as a dancer but never did. I think her husbands are appalling. How anyone can be so stupid is beyond me. Although who knows what drove them to fund a marriage in such silly circumstances (not being there) is anyone's guess.

I have met a lot of Thai women with two husbands and three boyfriends that seems to be a common combination. It works here because of the community acceptance of the deal. I know for a fact that the kids don't like the arrangement and think mom is a ho. I know that from teaching. Thai mothers have never really impressed me. Thai grandmothers on the other hand seem pretty decent people. I get along well with Thai grandmothers. I am going to marry one some day when I get of marriageable age (80 or so).

cool post

got any pix of the gal?

Did you spend any money for her while you dated her? If yes, then you were a fool too, you see? Not only her 3 farang husbands! haha..

Did you spend any money for her while you dated her? If yes, then you were a fool too, you see? Not only her 3 farang husbands! haha..

Yes I spent money on her. And I bought her a bracelet.

I spend money on the women I take out. I buy dinner, shows and trinkets. Sometimes expensive trinkets.

How else do you get them to go home?

I know English is not your first language but calling a stranger a fool is a pretty big insult. It doesn't bother me because I am a minority and am used to being slandered but if you said it to a more sensitive person they might get angry. Stupid is better, or ignorant or misdirected.

Unless, of course you meant to insult me. In that case I would make a point about you being a cheap Charlie without enough money to buy things for women and you have to rely on an arranged marriage, dads money or self gratification.

I spend money on the women I take out. I buy dinner, shows and trinkets. Sometimes expensive trinkets.

I know English is not your first language but calling a stranger a fool is a pretty big insult. It doesn't bother me because I am a minority and am used to being slandered but if you said it to a more sensitive person they might get angry. Stupid is better, or ignorant or misdirected.

Unless, of course you meant to insult me. In that case I would make a point about you being a cheap Charlie without enough money to buy things for women and you have to rely on an arranged marriage, dads money or self gratification.

You called stupid those 3 husbands of some Thai lady since they gave her money. You gave money to a Thai lady as well. That makes you stupid too, am I not right? You insulted people even before I called you a fool and now you start bitching about my comment.

The bottom line is that if you have to post here to ask such basic questions then your likely in it over your head and being sucked in... How well do you know this girl/thailand if you have to post on a public forum asking such a question?!? You'd be better off sponsoring a child in Africa or Cambodia imo :whistling:

You called stupid those 3 husbands of some Thai lady since they gave her money. You gave money to a Thai lady as well. That makes you stupid too, am I not right? You insulted people even before I called you a fool and now you start bitching about my comment.

I would suggest there is quite a bit of difference between an evenings expenses of dinner and drinks as opposed to marriage, sin sot, monthly living allowance, house and auto purchases and a lifelong commitment. That you don't realize the difference tells me something about your reading or intelligence or experience levels. I would submit most rational people know the difference between buying a bottle of milk and the purchase of a cow. Renting a hotel room as opposed to buying the hotel. Get it?

The bottom line is that if you have to post here to ask such basic questions then your likely in it over your head and being sucked in... How well do you know this girl/thailand if you have to post on a public forum asking such a question?!? You'd be better off sponsoring a child in Africa or Cambodia imo :whistling:

I think he does well to ask....a fair question........

By the way how much does the sponsorship of a child in Africa cost?.................25,000 baht......10,000......200 baht a month......see I don't know!!!........................so I'm asking to increase my knowledge and understanding

A wise man will run the checks....a less intelligent man will continue in blissful ignorance

Edited by 473geo

You seem worried about where the extra 15K is going. You obviously have limited trust in this gal. This should worry you because there's a kid involved. If she's an (ex) bargirl then you could send her 200K per month and your son is still only going to receive the bare essentials with the rest of the money going (elsewhere).

90% of Thais live (and manage to drink whiskey and gamble) on 3-6 thousand baht per month.

Good Luck to ya

I do not understand the point of your post and your hostile response?

The OP has asked some opinions about living expenses for a mother and child, any other advice and whether or not the mother is a bargirl or a reformed Nun is irrelavant.

G'day Beetle..................don't you yet realise, that there some in here that just cannot help themselves and are always 'lurking' :angry: ok mate !