Buying A Business In Thailand-- Do I Need To Get Married?

Hi, I'm just wondering: To buy and run a bar or restaurant in Thailand, is it necessary to get married to a Thai girl? I'm not comfortable with her owning my main asset. I know it's possible to acquire a "work permit," but that sounds like a huge hassle. Is there a minimum amount of money in the bank i would need to get married & buy a business?

If I have to get married, I will. I'm just wondering if it's gonna be the big hassle I think it will be.

Edited by HardBanger

Just remember YOU cant own property in Thailand, only the wife or another Thai can own property. If you are leasing BEWARE and get a good Solicitor sorted and make sure you check double check and then check again absolutely every aspect and detail.

So many have bitten the dust rapidly in that game.

Dont think that you can buy the business in the wifes name etc then just sit there as a spectator either, YOU need a work permit to just sit there. People have been arrested for as much without the right papers.You have a long uphill climb in front of you and potentially a deep money pit to throw money in.

Good Luck.

Edited by CharlieH

Agree with Smokie.. If you have enough money to throw away on a business, why don't you just live here and do nothing..?

Come to Kanchanaburi.. Lots of empty bars here that the owners will be more than willing to let you lose all your money on.. No, no.. not lose.. just dwindle away slowly.

Getting married just so you can buy a bar.. Ba..!!! Why don't you let her run it too so you can lose money twice as fast.

Please please dont do this... you wouldnt right now in your own country.. and now is the end of the tourist season.. every1 wants to sell.

• Like 1

As long as you appreciate you'll never make any money you'll be fine. Anything else should be regarded as a bonus. ;)

What a rash statement, maybe you and many others without any business sense have made that mistake but with the right business model you can make a reasonable living in Thailand.....Most Expats target the tourist industry with beer bars or western food restaurants charging extorinate prices for a crappy burger.......This is Thailand with over 65 million Thais, target that market in the right location and you will do well......not excitng selling 30baht meals to Thais but it works and earns a decent living.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

OP: Clearly, you haven't lived here long enough to even think about investing anything here. What's the rush ? Hang around here for 6 months and get a "feel" for things. If after that, you still feel you should own a bar here, go for it.

But, and by any chance: Has this idea of buying a bar including marriage been proposed to you by your GF ? If yes, heaven help you, if you go ahead with this without giving yourself some time to "think & wait".

Cheers.