Western Union Question

I currently live in Switzerland and recently begun a small business where my clients pay me by Western Union.

After 5 received (small) transfers in Switzerland, they suddenly wanted to see more than my passport, asked questions what I do, why people send me money, what my address is, etc.

Does anyone have experience with WU in Thailand?

Is it possible to receive more than 5 payments without raising eyebrows?

Because I plan a holiday soon, but this isn't a reason to stop business for almost a month, and I don't really look forward to be grilled for half an hour by WU employees.

Edited by manarak

Why use Western Union? they take about 10% charges. You need to change your payment methods if you want a profitable business.

And yes, due to KYC and AML (Know your customer and anti money laundering) legislation introduced in the past few years any customer of a financial institution must be treated as an assumed criminal.

Just provide the minimum information they require - if you are happy doing that.

Surely if you are based in Switzerland you can find better options than a US financial intermediary!

Why use Western Union? they take about 10% charges. You need to change your payment methods if you want a profitable business.

And yes, due to KYC and AML (Know your customer and anti money laundering) legislation introduced in the past few years any customer of a financial institution must be treated as an assumed criminal.

Just provide the minimum information they require - if you are happy doing that.

Surely if you are based in Switzerland you can find better options than a US financial intermediary!

My business is based on the very fact that my clients don't own a credit card and many have no bank account, or just a saving account without access to international transfers.

So I need a means of receiving cash.

I have a registered company, but Western Union refused to enable me to receive cash on the company's account, because this is reserved to US companies.

I sometimes use Moneygram, Ria Envia...

They are a bit cheaper than WU, but all are still expensive, and people in the world only know one name for cash transfers: Western Union.

The 10% costs don't matter that much, because they have no other way to pay.

Plus, cash transfer agents are the only services that execute & guarantee the payment instantly.

I'm not keen on people who "change their mind" and ask their bank to stop the credit card payment after I have provided the service.

I wish there was another solution.

So, you were grilled by WU in Thailand because of somewhat frequent incoming money (not much, I receive approx. 1000 EUR per month that way)?

Edited by manarak

Not exactly Pattaya related.:whistling:

The probably have to report customers who may be money laundering or evading tax.

Holiday... 30 days stamp

And sorry, didn't realize I posted this in the Pattaya section, I was probably reading another thread here.

Edited by manarak

Not exactly Pattaya related.:whistling:

The probably have to report customers who may be money laundering or evading tax.

I used Western Union once to send money to Thailand from the USA,. It was only $100 USD and it was for a good cause. I suspect, that there are many Thais that know how to receive Western Union often and with no issues, at least from the Thai side.

They are a bit cheaper than WU, but all are still expensive, and people in the world only know one name for cash scam transfers: Western Union.

that too.

it is the same as giving cash to someone.

but that wasn't my question - I guess I will have to try and find out.

They are a bit cheaper than WU, but all are still expensive, and people in the world only know one name for cash scam transfers: Western Union.

that too.

it is the same as giving cash to someone.

but that wasn't my question - I guess I will have to try and find out.

I guess you just answered your own question with your last reply,you should have only added giving cash to someone without getting a receipt.

Western Union are well aware about what is going on over the internet and just try to prevent their system to be used by scammers.