30% Of Thai Laborers Drink Alcohol Every Day, Much Needed Campaign Introduced

webfact

30% of Thai Laborers Drink Alcohol Every Day, Much Needed Campaign Introduced

A seminar has suggested that Thai laborers are addicted to alcohol, as 30 percent of workers drink every day.

At an anti-alcohol seminar in Bangkok, the Friends of Women Foundation quoted statistics claiming that nearly one-third of Thai laborers are addicted to alcohol, classified by their consumption of alcohol every day after work.

The statistics indicate that alcohol ranks fourth for Thai workers' expenditures, after food, transport, and miscellaneous spendings.

Some 27 percent of workers believe drinking alcohol represents manhood, and 31 percent believe the more they can drink, the more they are regarded as a superior person.

Concerning money, nearly a quarter of workers spend more than 1,000 baht a month on alcohol, while 18 percent paying between 400-600 baht each month.

As a result, the Friends of Women Foundation and the Thai Health Promotion Foundation have vowed to raise awareness about the disadvantages of drinking alcohol, by piloting projects in Nakhon Pathom, Samut Sakhorn, Nonthaburi and Lamphun provinces.

The Labor Protection and Welfare Department said it will launch an anti-drug campaign called 'White Plant' to educate employers and workers about drugs, and to cut down the number of drug addicts.

More than 3.4 million people are expected to join the project.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-02-11

footer_n.gif

only 5 years ago in NongKhai you could find hardly any labour without stumbling in and over drunken hired hands.

Nowadays its different.....different opportunitys different rules.

Its almost unthinkable now that you see a bunch of people like that on a buildingsite.

It shows in and around town.....for the best!

Its a good cozy place to live.NongKhai that is.

hgma

I thought conventional wisdom was that a small amount of alcohol daily was good for you?

1 glass of red a day is about a bottle a week- 250 baht a bottle obviously accounts for the 1000 baht.

I wonder how much Lao Kao that buys though?laugh.gif

nearly one-third of Thai laborers are addicted to alcohol, classified by their consumption of alcohol every day after work.

Or before work.

Once saw a copper at my local mom and pop at about 6.30 in the morning on his way to work. Anuban daughter and Prathom son on his motorcycle, patiently waiting as dad downed a couple of shots of lao kao.

You've got to laugh etc.

In most parts of europe people drink alcohol every day.....

Yes. But it's not the poisonous lao khao.

Are there any government statistics on which particular alcohol is drunk most? I see labourers at my local shop downing their morning nips of hooch poured direct into a glass, or an empty bottle of Red Bull. Or are the government not concerned, too stupid, to research this ubiquitous hooch and it's effects, eg: Early demise.

Are there any government statistics on which particular alcohol is drunk most? I see labourers at my local shop downing their morning nips of hooch poured direct into a glass, or an empty bottle of Red Bull. Or are the government not concerned, too stupid, to research this ubiquitous hooch and it's effects, eg: Early demise.

yes that is exactly the problem!

what's so bad about early demise?

Except they might take a few road casualties with them, and make a slew of other messes before they leave.

Other animals aren't so stupid - or into self affliction - as people. Other animals care about eating, procreation and basic comforts. Most people care about the same things, yet they dumb themselves down with fermented sugar. That, in itself is ok if it doesn't harm others. Unfortunately, drunks do harm others. The sooner they snuff themselves out, the better for the rest of us.

The reason low kao can be lethal is that they use the same metal pipe to distill it that they use to fertilize their fields with pesticide! Thus a very good reason why you should never accept a shot of someones home brew! They clean the pipe but it may still have traces of pesticide! Hope this warning prevents someone getting sick.

Once saw a copper at my local mom and pop at about 6.30 in the morning on his way to work. Anuban daughter and Prathom son on his motorcycle, patiently waiting as dad downed a couple of shots of lao kao.

You've got to laugh etc.

Hey man if he's got the shakes it could be dangerous driving his kids to school

Except they might take a few road casualties with them, and make a slew of other messes before they leave.

Other animals aren't so stupid - or into self affliction - as people. Other animals care about eating, procreation and basic comforts. Most people care about the same things, yet they dumb themselves down with fermented sugar. That, in itself is ok if it doesn't harm others. Unfortunately, drunks do harm others. The sooner they snuff themselves out, the better for the rest of us.

Elephants are known to end up hissed out of their minds for gorging themselves on fruit and berries. Well, African elephants are.

Alcohol kills more than AIDS, TB or violence: WHO

By Stephanie Nebehay

GENEVA | Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:03am EST

GENEVA (Reuters) - Alcohol causes nearly 4 percent of deaths worldwide, more than AIDS, tuberculosis or violence, the World Health Organization warned on Friday.

Rising incomes have triggered more drinking in heavily populated countries in Africa and Asia, including India and South Africa, and binge drinking is a problem in many developed countries, the United Nations agency said.

Yet alcohol control policies are weak and remain a low priority for most governments despite drinking's heavy toll on society from road accidents, violence, disease, child neglect and job absenteeism, it said.

Approximately 2.5 million people die each year from alcohol related causes, the WHO said in its "Global Status Report on Alcohol and Health."

Continues:

http://www.reuters.c...ame=ushealth200

LaoPo

You've got to laugh etc.

Hey man if he's got the shakes it could be dangerous driving his kids to school

:D I never thought of that. Obviously he was an officer of the law with the interests of the general public at heart.

Alcohol kills more than AIDS, TB or violence: WHO

By Stephanie Nebehay

GENEVA | Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:03am EST

GENEVA (Reuters) - Alcohol causes nearly 4 percent of deaths worldwide, more than AIDS, tuberculosis or violence, the World Health Organization warned on Friday.

Rising incomes have triggered more drinking in heavily populated countries in Africa and Asia, including India and South Africa, and binge drinking is a problem in many developed countries, the United Nations agency said.

Yet alcohol control policies are weak and remain a low priority for most governments despite drinking's heavy toll on society from road accidents, violence, disease, child neglect and job absenteeism, it said.

Approximately 2.5 million people die each year from alcohol related causes, the WHO said in its "Global Status Report on Alcohol and Health."

Continues:

http://www.reuters.c...ame=ushealth200

LaoPo

Thanks Laopo for sharing that. One of the main reasons alcoholic drinks are so accepted and all other psychosomatic drugs are frowned upon and criminalized - is the multi billion dollar industry of making and selling the stuff. Imagine if motorcycle makers could criminalize all other sorts of vehicles - cars, trucks, buses, planes, trains, boats, bicycles, etc. It would be great for selling a lot more motorcycles. Currently, it's a criminal offense to have any amount of hemp in your possession. It's considered a psychosomatic (class 5) drug in the US and Thailand. Yet any reasonable person knows hemp can't get you high - not at all, even if you smoked a garbage bucket full of the stuff.

So why is a plant like hemp criminalizing people, whereas 40% alcohol rotgut moonshine ok? If you ask me, it's the legislators who are criminals - for criminalizing and endangering the general public via their profound ignorance and their coddling the multi-billion dollar alcohol industry.

I think you would change your somewhat sanguine outlook if it were your relative/friend.

But I doubt this occurs to the type of expat living in their 'willa'/gated community quaffing Pinot Noir with their other white expat chums, whose only contact with the locals is their housekeeper/gardener/shop staff etc, oblivious to the problems of the populace of their adopted country; ie they don't give a toss.

One of the problems for any government in Thailand is how to get tax. Alcohol is a good source of tax. Lao kao and other local stuff is of course not taxed, so cheaper and less easy to monitor, and probably does cause most thai addiction problems. But when thai men look at your average farlang in Pattaya, anytime after 10am, maybe they aspire to this state of semi-permanent intoxication. Why not? they look happy? :whistling:

One glass a day, is relaxing and with wine especially, it is health beneficial. In general moderate drinkers live significantly longer than tea totals, but both live much longer than alcohol addicts. So yes this needs to focus on those who find alcohol as a central pivot of their daily life, and remove being drunk as a sign of manhood.

I don't drink much these days. I guess the governments increasing taxes to make alcohol expensive is working and going out to a pub and opening a bottle of whiskey now is very expensive. However it could backfire as it may kill the golden egg: tourism. Thailand certainly is no longer the wild west, easy going, party land it was. This does not bode well; the future looks boring and expensive...

Regarding the increased taxes and trying to stop people drinking. Its killed off the party land that Thailand was; however it has not affected the root problem, which is poorer, less educated Thai men who are addicted to their low kao. They used to buy some proper lao kao; now almost 100% of this is brewed at home/in their villages so in a way the government have forced them to drink lower quality alcohol, which I suspect was not the desired effect. In a way it has made the problem worse with those who are addicted.

I also see the Thai whiskey industry tries to sell cheaper and cheaper alcohol to overcome the higher taxation. Again this is not good; I just don't drink Thai spirits anymore as they always give you a headache; stick to Scotch. Again this probably not the desired effect. The quality is now very low. Decent Thai brands are almost non existent now.

I would say my alcohol consumption is low; although I used to spurge in the Thai style occasionally and open a bottle of Scotch at a bar. I don't do this anymore.

I guess the point I am trying to make is the Thai do gooders have gone too far with the taxation. As some others have said; alcohol is about the same price as the UK, although the average income in the UK is 5 times a Thai income. I am not an alcoholic but I also don't want alcohol to be prohibitively expensive and want to be able to buy quality alcohol at reasonable prices!