Exodus Of Western Expats From Pattaya

sojourner007

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do not think that many wealthy Westerners move to Thailand at all. They prefer Tahiti or the South of France.

There is allegedly one in Pattaya, but he moved here so his bilingual gardener could give him stock-market tips.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You can laugh but he got me out of US dollars 4 years ago and into Swiss Francs. BTW I left Pattaya three years ago and moved up the coast a ways.

I do not think that many wealthy Westerners move to Thailand at all. They prefer Tahiti or the South of France.

Oddly enough I left one of those places to retire here, just a few months ago.

However I would agree that really wealthy people would only come to SE Asia to "slum it". For anything approaching day to day luxury the wealthy will stay in nice, safe expensive places.

(Some people here may be out of touch with prices etc. in the real world. A perfectly ordinary small cup of expresso coffee in a small town railway station in Europe cost me 160B recently. I eat for two full days for that here!)

There is allegedly one in Pattaya, but he moved here so his bilingual gardener could give him stock-market tips.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You can laugh but he got me out of US dollars 4 years ago and into Swiss Francs. BTW I left Pattaya three years ago and moved up the coast a ways.

I pity your return. I told my friends 6 years ago to look at Brazil as they were 95% energy independant. Further I suggest people do their own homework and not rely on any one individual.

Hmmmm. be a bit difficult to remember WS 20+ years ago, as it didn't exist then! If I remember rightly, it started about '96. I don't remember the exact date, but I was there at the beginning.

Walking Street existed well over 20 years ago, but it wasnt called Walking Street! It was just the continuation of Beach Rd. At that time there was far less traffic (hardly any private cars) and the traffic there was turned up South Rd as it does now, but then it was because the Beach Rd extension didnt actually lead anywhere. It just sort of fizzled out when you got past the hotels at the end as you near what is now the pier. In fact in those days if you walked past the last hotel there were no lights at all. So Walking Street was pedestrian de facto and there was just the occasional car or chartered bahtbus going along it in the evening.

I didn't mean to imply there was no road there before it became Walking Street, but as it was just an ordinary street, like Soi 8, it would never have become what it is today, had they not closed it to traffic post 6pm. Although it is hard to believe, as they have never been cleaned, the road surface was replaced with colored concrete pavers, and looked quite nice.

The Lucky Star bars were almost the same before WS as now, but without the mo'bike barriers, and there was a constant stream of bikes racing through the complex all night. There were no comfy chairs then, either, just the usual bar stools.

I didn't mean to imply there was no road there before it became Walking Street, but as it was just an ordinary street, like Soi 8, it would never have become what it is today, had they not closed it to traffic post 6pm.

I thought that it was pretty much the same, but prettier girls in the Go-Go bars and you had to walk on the side of the street instead of in the middle.

I didn't mean to imply there was no road there before it became Walking Street, but as it was just an ordinary street, like Soi 8, it would never have become what it is today, had they not closed it to traffic post 6pm.

I thought that it was pretty much the same, but prettier girls in the Go-Go bars and you had to walk on the side of the street instead of in the middle.

I remember it well 30+ years ago........taxis went down, along with other traffic and then turned left near Simon cabaret and that took them to Sth Patt/Rd.............from the famous boxing bar,next to the pier, people would go down late and dine at the IN''' place Nong N/ fish restaurant. usually then onto Linda Bar (near the big tree) a well known Katoy bar. and finishing the night in Marine disco, where all the girls and boys from the go-go's went after 2am to dance the night away...It was great then.