Retirement Visa - How To Apply?

I want to apply for a retirement visa next week and need to know how exactly to go about this. Firstly, where do I get the application form from? The other thing that I need advice on is how exaclty to show that I have the required income. My income is from a rental property in the UK, so I have the rental agreement and can also get a confirmation letter from the letting agency. But do I need to get this authenticated in some way by the British Embassy, and if so how do I go about making an appointment, etc? I know I can look this up on the internet, but I have found that embassy information on the internet isn't usually the best advice to follow. And do I really need a photo taken in a shirt/tie/suit? Any other advice great appreciated.

Are you asking about a Visa from a Thai Consulate or an Extension from Immigration?

If an extension from Immigration these are the financial requirements.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

If using savings you need a letter from your Thai bank.

If using income you need a letter from the British Embassy.

TM7 Application form tm7.doc Don't forget the passport size photo and 1,900 Baht fee.

Are you asking about a Visa from a Thai Consulate or an Extension from Immigration?

If an extension from Immigration these are the financial requirements.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

If using savings you need a letter from your Thai bank.

If using income you need a letter from the British Embassy.

TM7 Application form tm7.doc Don't forget the passport size photo and 1,900 Baht fee.

Thanks for that. I currently have a 1-year non-O visa (I think that's the correct name). It's due to expire so I now want a retirement visa. So do I just take my rental agreement to to the British Embassy and get them to write a letter? I want to get this right first time and don't want to go back and forth because I have the wrong documents, insufficient information, etc.

As far as I know you are asking about a 12 Month Extension of stay from Immigration. Not a Visa.

It would be whatever the Embassy need as proof. You will have to ask them.

This is what their website says.

Proof of Income Letters

British nationals applying for a visa, or an extension of a visa, with the Thai Immigration Bureau may be asked to obtain a letter from us verifying their income. To obtain the letter you must be registered with us. We will also need to see a copy of your passport and, either bank statements for the previous 3 months, or the original evidence of your pension or income. We charge a fee of THB 2,315 for the letter. You can also apply for a proof of income letter by post. To apply by post you must ensure that the above documentation is included and that the total amount of pension or income you receive is clearly stated. You can only pay in the following ways;

Banker's Draft, plus THB 200 administration fee;

Postal orders payable to 'British Embassy' to be cashed at Nana Post Office, Bangkok 10110 (Please note that online postal orders are not accepted.

Return of the letter by EMS, if you apply in person or by post, costs an additional THB 100.

I also have some questions about the application form...

1. There is a section that says 'KIND OF VISA' - should this be the visa I already have (non-immigrant visa) or the one I am applying for (if, so what's the proper name?)

2. There is a section that asks about my arrival in Thailand that also asks for arrival/departure card no. Obvioulsy I only have the departure card for the last time I arrived. So should all these details be about my last arrival in Thailand, even if it was coming back from a short holiday?

3. It asks how many days extention I want. Should I put 365 days? I assume this is the maximum.

4. What should I put as reason for extension? Is just putting retirement enough?

5. There is a section that starts 'This application is written by', but there isn't enough space to write my full address, so can I abbreviate? What do the following mean: Tambon/Khwaeng, Amphoe/Khet, Changwat?

6. What size should the photograph be? Do I only need one?

1. Current non immigrant O visa entry - you are applying for an extension of stay - not a visa.

2. Last arrive and card number.

3. 365

4. Retirement

5. Address no is your house number followed by - road - village - district - province.

6. 4x6cm - only one in Bangkok - 2 may be required upcountry.

1. Current non immigrant O visa entry - you are applying for an extension of stay - not a visa.

2. Last arrive and card number.

3. 365

4. Retirement

5. Address no is your house number followed by - road - village - district - province.

6. 4x6cm - only one in Bangkok - 2 may be required upcountry.

Very much appreciated. A few final questions. Don't mean to sound too pedantic, but don't want some official who got out the wrong side of bed having any reason to complain. So...

1. I am applying in Bangkok, so do I just enter Bangkok at top of the page next to Immigration Office?

2. For address, it only lets men type a few characters, so I can't fit everything in. My address isn't as simple as 23 main street, silom. It's more along the lines of apt 23, building name, 23-24 soi name, road, name, area. So I have to abbreviate and/or miss some out.

3. Can I just turn up at Thai immigration in Bangkok ir do I need and appointment? If I can just turn up, are there any good times to go i.e. small queues?

Bangkok at top.

You can use the village area for soi information as that is the new method in Bangkok - moobans are no longer used. Print it in small if you can not type it.

Go early and most seem to arrive late so afternoons more busy from recent reports. Office is closed from noon to 1PM. Mid week is also likely to be fewer than on a Monday or Friday.