Value For Your Money

IanForbes

Robb can pump you up like Arnie mate - or he is a dog whisperer er er :unsure:

Wish i was in the mood for training. Haven't been for a while. And about whispering to my dogs they dont seem to understand me.

I just hate dual pricing, but if a foreigner gets 3 times what a thai gets for doing the same thing. I have no qualms if he has to pay extra. Fairness works both ways.

so does the tax rate. those who earn more pay more as well. tell that to your neighborhood mom and pop shop with two tills - one for you and one for the govt.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ian,

If your happy that way then so be it. I hate paying more for the same service just because I am a foreigner. I have been brought up in a way that i consider it wrong. Sure i can afford it but that is not the point.

But your happy with it that is ok. I just avoid those places if i can.

I like to be treated equally, and I prefer to get the "Thai" price but sometimes its just a hardship that needs to be endured.

But, there is a double standard within the double standard. I work for an international company, and some of the benefits I get over the Thai staff are:

• As an expat, I get paid 3-4 times more than Thai staff of similar age and experience.
  • Where Thai staff receive 12 days holidays, I get 23 and while they must wait until 12 months service to take leave, I get mine upfront.
  • I get a phone, and expense account, and free flights home once a year for my entire family.

So, when I know I am being screwed for 20 baht by some "cunning" little "entrepreneur" I ask myself, do I really want "equality" with Thai's or am I happy to be persecuted? Maybe in time I will grow tired of being discriminated against, but as long as i make before lunch what most Thai's make in a month, then I am happy to make allowances :)

Is it right and just that we be treated in a "racist" way? Well no, its not........ but as I say, double standards can be a 2 way street.

Sure but i run my own business different story all together Thais can do the same thing. In your case they should just charge you 3 times more. Sounds fair as you get 3 times more money for the same work. If a Thai could do what id do he would get the same money. They just don't have the skill set i have.

Seriously - I am not saying that you specifically don't have a special skill set...... but generally, most expats here cannot do anything special that I local cannot do (or cannot be trained to do) - the primary reason we command a premium are because of our work ethic, english speaking, and "look good" as front men..... particualrly when dealing with international clients from say Singapore, HK, KL, HCM, etc. Genuinely, yes I do believe I am a more valuable memeber of staff that those which are supposed to be my equal .......... and genuinely I do see why my company needs me to fulfil the role. The other inflationary factor of course is why would I come and work here for less than I get at home..... so there is the "hardship" uplift etc.

None-the-less, when viewed from a Thai persepctive, it must seem frightfully unfair.......

Charge me 3 times more..... well I am just trying to put a bit of realism and persepctive on the situation. Of course I would disagree with that, just the same as I would disagree that a Thai accountant should not pay 3 times more than a Thai house maid for the same bowl of noodles at the noodle stand. All I am saying is that sometimes, we as farangs are treated unfairly, even in a racist way ...... I am not saying that this is right, or ok...... and for the most part I don't get ripped off that often..... but on the occassion that I do (and I usually know when I am) I just think to myself "yes buddy, you are laughing at the stupid farang paying more than you do, but the joke is really on you, you small minded cretin"...... but that really does not apply to the vast majority of Thai's ........... I cannot think of any singular event in recent times, accept the entrance to a national park recently..... and for a hundred baht I'm really not loosing any sleep.

The Thai accountant is getting the same amount as an other thai accountant. So there is no racism in that. Just difference in income between him and a maid. If everyone was charged on basis of income it would be fair. But now only foreigners have to pay more.

In your case you said you were paid 3 times more while thais could do the same thing and then you change your story.

My skil set is not something you can teach a Thai. (even i have problem reading Dutch tax law) so i doubt that a Thai could do it. So I do have a special skill set compared to Thais.

Wish i was in the mood for training. Haven't been for a while. And about whispering to my dogs they dont seem to understand me.

I just hate dual pricing, but if a foreigner gets 3 times what a thai gets for doing the same thing. I have no qualms if he has to pay extra. Fairness works both ways.

so does the tax rate. those who earn more pay more as well. tell that to your neighborhood mom and pop shop with two tills - one for you and one for the govt.

Sure I agree with you there, but the whole point for me is the dual pricing nothing else. People who make more already pay more (if it is done fair and im not saying that is always the case as we both know better)

I am saying I get paid 3 times.......... I don't know if all expats do.......

I am saying I get paid 3 times.......... I don't know if all expats do.......

I was refering to you .. but others too in that situation. Myself a Thai could make the same amount i do if he had my knowledge (but they dont). I just dont like dual pricing but i dont condone it either if it goes the other way around.