Does Passport Number Change When Renewed?

I've never got a new passport and was wondering if it is typical that when you get a new passport that the number changes. The reason I ask is my Thai wife just switched the name & marriage status (Mrs.) on her passport and the new passport has a different number than the last passport. Is this a Thai thing or do most/all countries issue a new number with a new passport? I just find it odd and in my mind would be like switching your ID or DL # just because you changed names ... it would make you a different person in all the databases that track by name and number.

The other question I have is if the old and new number is tied together in a database in terms of US immigration when applying for a visa?

Thanks. I need to get new pages in mine but was thinking of just getting a new one since my pic doesn't look like me and I often get questioned if it is really me. It never occurred to me that the number might change and I have used my passport as my official ID # on so many things and entities I work with.

I have to assume that since this is common/standard then the databases must somehow reference the old info. I was just thinking in terms of a past visa application to the US we submitted and how it would be less complicated if we didn't bring this up with a different visa application.

Edited by Nisa

Passport numbers change on renewal, which can be a bit of a hassle in Thailand where passport numbers are routinely used by service providers as the "ID number" for foreigners. I've now had three passports while living in Thailand and on each renewal, I have to do the rounds of banks, phone compaines, ISPs, etc. telling them all to update their records.

As far as the visa database at the US State Department goes, I would imagine it is indexed on a number of personal attributes (name & date of birth, passport numbers, visa numbers). I wouldn't worry about them not finding your wife's previous visa details when she next applies --- they will. In any case, most embassies ask for all of the applicant's previous passports to be submitted with a visa application.

In any case, most embassies ask for all of the applicant's previous passports to be submitted with a visa application.

Name one? Your current passport and/or copy is all that is required by any country that I am aware of.

I can attest to the fact they don't want to see an old passport at the US Embassy here because this is technically her third (first was destroyed) and when we went last time I just remember the form asking if she has ever used a different name. I think if it asked about a different passport number or old passport copy I would have been clued in then that the number can change. They never asked about previous passports or previous passport numbers otherwise I would have been tipped off then that the numbers change. I only caught the number change this time because I was looking at both her old and new one, that came today, side by side.

Passport numbers change on renewal, which can be a bit of a hassle in Thailand where passport numbers are routinely used by service providers as the "ID number" for foreigners. I've now had three passports while living in Thailand and on each renewal, I have to do the rounds of banks, phone compaines, ISPs, etc. telling them all to update their records.

As far as the visa database at the US State Department goes, I would imagine it is indexed on a number of personal attributes (name & date of birth, passport numbers, visa numbers). I wouldn't worry about them not finding your wife's previous visa details when she next applies --- they will. In any case, most embassies ask for all of the applicant's previous passports to be submitted with a visa application.

"In any case, most embassies ask for all of the applicant's previous passports to be submitted with a visa application."

Reported stolen / missing passports can not be showed .....:jap:

If you receive a new US Passport while you are within Thailand, then I would believe that there would be a record of both passport numbers entered at Thai Immigration control when you exit Thailand as your entry stamp is in the old passport. If you really want a clean break (for Thai visa stamp purposes) then I would think it better to apply for and receive your new passport at a US Embassy or Consulate other than within Thailand.

"In any case, most embassies ask for all of the applicant's previous passports to be submitted with a visa application."

Reported stolen / missing passports can not be showed .....:jap:

They never asked about past passports and simply asked about past names used.

In any case, most embassies ask for all of the applicant's previous passports to be submitted with a visa application.

Name one? Your current passport and/or copy is all that is required by any country that I am aware of.

OK, let's start with:

1) United Kingdom (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/1903073/supportingdocsvisituk),

2) France (https://www.tlscontact.com/th2fr/login.php),

3) United States (http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/nivchecklist-english.pdf) if any previous passport contains a US visa.

(Apologies to the mods for all the links).

Yes, as david555 says you can always claim that previous passports were lost, stolen, accidentially washed, etc. However, unless there is something to hide, I would think that a documented history of overseas travel and timely return to Thailand would be considered positively in any visa application.

OK, let's start with:

1) United Kingdom (http://www.ukvisas.g...tingdocsvisituk),

2) France (https://www.tlsconta...th2fr/login.php),

3) United States (http://bangkok.usemb...ist-english.pdf) if any previous passport contains a US visa.

Yes, as david555 says you can always claim that previous passports were lost, stolen, accidentially washed, etc. However, unless there is something to hide, I would think that a documented history of overseas travel and timely return to Thailand would be considered positively in any visa application.

I only looked at the US link knowing they don't ask for previous passport or passport number and I haven't changed my mind. What they are after is previous "US VISAS"

PASSPORT: Current, valid passport and any previous passports containing U.S. visas

Wrong, right or partially right it is still good info to know. Thanks

Edited by Nisa

OK, let's start with:

1) United Kingdom (http://www.ukvisas.g...tingdocsvisituk),

2) France (https://www.tlsconta...th2fr/login.php),

3) United States (http://bangkok.usemb...ist-english.pdf) if any previous passport contains a US visa.

by our way of thinking the history should speak in favour (if no red stamps ) BUT as you see how they acting in Vientane as you have more then X number Tourist visa a reason to be denied another :annoyed:

As me fly back home for every Visa , even there they they are suspicious becoming because I look a VERY bizzy Tourist

But CORRECTION as you request with your country or embassy for new passport you must give the old or show to make it not valued anymore, unless stolen or destroyed /missing , you need a police repport ....

BUT HE EMBASSY from the country you apply for a visa has no right to ask your old one , even you can always say you turned it in (you can request to keep it the old one , then they punched it with some holes or stamps to not value it

OK, let's start with:

1) United Kingdom (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/1903073/supportingdocsvisituk),

2) France (https://www.tlscontact.com/th2fr/login.php),

3) United States (http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/nivchecklist-english.pdf) if any previous passport contains a US visa.

And as clearly stated in the UK first link the list is not a required document listing. If having a visa or travel history can help your application you may submit old passports to prove it - there is no requirement to do so.

And as clearly stated in the UK first link the list is not a required document listing. If having a visa or travel history can help your application you may submit old passports to prove it - there is no requirement to do so.

And thus my statement that "most embassies ask for all of the applicant's previous passports" rather than demand them. It would be interesting to see what would happen if, for example, an applicant for a UK entry clearance volunteered that they had previous passports but would not be including them with the application. What conclusion do you think the ECO might (fairly or unfairly) infer?

I recently went to a Thai Hospital in Bangkok and they indicated they would look up my medical records via my PASSPORT number. I knew I had had a new US PASSPORT, but on my Thailand 5 year auto drivers license and 5 year motorbike drivers license was the US Passport number indicated as ID NUMBER. So if you can't recall your old passport number, for a few years you'll have access to that number on your Thailand Drivers license.

For the USA anytime a previously issued passport cannot be presented upon a request for a new passport (DS-125), a DS-64 form must be filled out and you do not want to mess around with that one:

"Your statement must detail why the previous passport cannot be presented."

... with some nasty potential felonies mentioned at the bottom including deliberate destruction.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79958.pdf

Presenting documents for immigration or new passport is not the same issue as for normal visa process which does not require anyone to present all there old passports (in my case that would be about 10 and I am not a great traveler by any means). The fact is embassies do not make any such request in the routine issue of a visa.

The current MoFA Thai Visa application form asks for date of 'Previous Visit to Thailand' so there conceivably could be some concern if you are presenting the Embassy/Consulate with a brand spanking new passport with zero visa entries to Thailand.

The current MoFA Thai Visa application form asks for date of 'Previous Visit to Thailand' so there conceivably could be some concern if you are presenting the Embassy/Consulate with a brand spanking new passport with zero visa entries to Thailand.

on that form there is even not enough space to put all my previous visits by dates and i came only 5 times in 3years , and even they ask previous visits ..... they forgot to put " ALL " your previous visits ...:D it is just for them to have a reference point somhow,

even ID cards in my country by renuwing every 5 years have different number ... but whe have a goverment registration number who does not change and birthday is part of it

And if needed in Thailand WHO of us does not have somwhere a copy from passports , or are you all carrrying it like me always on you ??;)

All you have to do is say on that 'previous visit' line is that you have 'NEVER' been to Thailand and all problems are solved... people are always getting it confused with Taiwan.

Most of my life I thought Thai people were from Taiwan ... actually still not sure what people from Taiwan are called laugh.gif

All you have to do is say on that 'previous visit' line is that you have 'NEVER' been to Thailand and all problems are solved... people are always getting it confused with Taiwan.

Most of my life I thought Thai people were from Taiwan ... actually still not sure what people from Taiwan are called laugh.gif

Taiwanese

Edited by david555

Presenting documents for immigration or new passport is not the same issue as for normal visa process which does not require anyone to present all there old passports (in my case that would be about 10 and I am not a great traveler by any means). The fact is embassies do not make any such request in the routine issue of a visa.

Exactly----my old New Zealand pp was re-newed last year and they wanted to know if I wanted them to send it back with the new one.I said no, so as far as I am concerned anyone who wants any details of it will have to do their own investigating. It's gone and forgotten--life starts today!!!!!! It amazes me the things some people worry about.I came to Thailand to get away from all the stress and to perhaps start again and be happy. It worked!!!

If you are a US citizen, adding pages used to be free. Now its almost the same price as a new passport. Your new passport also has the "chip" latesst and greatest technology-if that matters :D

Any way, getting a new passport is an option for you and the renewal process is straight forward :)

Thanks. I need to get new pages in mine but was thinking of just getting a new one since my pic doesn't look like me and I often get questioned if it is really me. It never occurred to me that the number might change and I have used my passport as my official ID # on so many things and entities I work with.

I have to assume that since this is common/standard then the databases must somehow reference the old info. I was just thinking in terms of a past visa application to the US we submitted and how it would be less complicated if we didn't bring this up with a different visa application.

Does anybody know that if I want to change my UK passport, whether I have to return to the UK to do it or can I have this renewed in Thailand? I've still got time on my hands as it expires in 3 years time but thought I'd just ask while this subject is being discussed. Thanks in advance.