Im Dreading Songkran

actiondell4

I have never been to the shopping malls during Songkran,do they allow water throwing in the carparks?

I rarely saw a dry place. That is the biggest downside of Songkran. During the day, you just can't get to a mall or go anyplace and stay dry. Can't go to a movie, etc. Ok for a few days, but the whole week is just not what I want. I avoid it now.

everything you want is at Central Festival, undercover secure parking, food shopping, movies, restaurants even a car wash.

there's no water throwing inside, drive in, drive out, stay dry

if you must go out, there's your answer........

everything you want is at Central Festival, undercover secure parking, food shopping, movies, restaurants even a car wash.

Not really. What if paste overwhelms your wipers so that you can't see to drive to Central Festival?

What if you don't own or drive a car? Isn't that the majority after all?

Before you answer the obvious: it's too dam_n hot to wear a rainsuit. I can assure you of that from experience.

Also, on a motorbike, you get stuck in traffic and the idiots paste your helmet visor so you can't see. Or you get hit with a high-pressure blast that can cause you to lose control.

Edited by JSixpack

What I hate most about songran are the Thai kids who start throwing water 3 days before the

official date and keep on doing it until 3 days after the official date. With the parents usually

sitting near buy and laughing. Makes me feel to smack those little s**ts ... but it's really the

parents who need the smacking ... TIT ....

rudi

Not really. What if paste overwhelms your wipers so that you can't see to drive to Central Festival?

What if you don't own or drive a car? Isn't that the majority after all?

Before you answer the obvious: it's too dam_n hot to wear a rainsuit. I can assure you of that from experience.

Also, on a motorbike, you get stuck in traffic and the idiots paste your helmet visor so you can't see. Or you get hit with a high-pressure blast that can cause you to lose control.

ok lets amend my post title to:

IF YOU OWN A CAR, you can do this.............

paste, wipers, never happened to me

even stupid farangs don't waste paste on cars

been here for 9 songkrans so far, been on baht buses, on motorbikes and in cars and never even got wet unless i wanted to

you make yourself a target, you will be one........

paste, wipers, never happened to me

even stupid farangs don't waste paste on cars

been here for 9 songkrans so far, been on baht buses, on motorbikes and in cars and never even got wet unless i wanted to

you make yourself a target, you will be one........

they do, I can confirm that. Should have sued the shit out of him for the scratches it did to the paint and wiper damage. Could not get out of the car unfortunately as it would have made matters only much much worse...:annoyed:

gmc.

re ... Just booked my tickets for a visit to the UK and the dates just happen to avoid Songkran

so have i ... 7 april to 25 so i avoid it here in chiang mai and pattaya : )

problem solved ... then its a few weeks party time in pattaya or sihanookville ?... havnt decided where yet !

dave2

Miserable sods, its the biggest Carnival time in Thailand and great fun, go on go and watch Coronation street, leave the fun to fun people.post-101635-0-65459300-1298910906_thumb.

I guess you believe all the young thai lads love your being here and stealing [for loads a cash] the girls.

If so you will not believe that they are filling their water guns with sewerage, urine, and anything wet and nasty...For your benefit.

Miserable sods, its the biggest Carnival time in Thailand and great fun, go on go and watch Coronation street, leave the fun to fun people.post-101635-0-65459300-1298910906_thumb.

I guess you believe all the young thai lads love your being here and stealing [for loads a cash] the girls.

If so you will not believe that they are filling their water guns with sewerage, urine, and anything wet and nasty...For your benefit.

Sorry mate but thats as bigger load of crap that I have heard for a long time.

Huh?

What self-respecting Thai man would spend time with a woman that would go with a foreigner for $$? You need to get outside of Pattaya and meet some Thai men.

And you need to understand Thai's

I have the position I do in Thailand because I do understand both Thais and foreigners. I am neither a new member nor new to Thailand. I spent years here learning the language and culture BEFORE choosing to work here.

There are Thai men that will resent foreigners ...regarding women ... but not many; and NONE that would fall into the category of "self-respecting." A Thai man aced out by a foreigner for a woman will blame ....... the woman. Pretty much the same as tourists that come here and assume that every farang that has a Thai wife will blame/accuse the woman of being a BG.

Face it, foreigners are not constrained by the social structure of Thailand, but it is the rare foreigner that actually moves into the social structure here. That is a blessing if you are retiring to Thailand and an issue if you are not.

As I say every year on the hate Songkran thread, it was a novelty the first year and would be fine for 2/3 days every year but 10 days of waterlogged anarchy in Pattaya really isn't my idea of fun.

I well remember an article in Bangkok post some years back where the son of a politician ,in a bar with his minders ,said to some thai females who came in with some americans to'come over here and sit with real men'

They then proceeded to beat up the americans..With no consequences...

Back to Songkran.Enjoy your fun getting soaked with urine etc...

Also regarding hygiene where do you suppose most of the other water comes from?Where are the many tankers [refuelling] getting their water from?

gmc.

re ... Just booked my tickets for a visit to the UK and the dates just happen to avoid Songkran

so have i ... 7 april to 25 so i avoid it here in chiang mai and pattaya : )

problem solved ... then its a few weeks party time in pattaya or sihanookville ?... havnt decided where yet !

dave2

Also booked my ticket for the USA this year timed to avoid Songkran. If I didn't go to the USA, I'd likely go to Penang; I happen to like Penang.

As has been pointed out earlier in this thread (and in the yearly threads preceding), you (I mean you [most of the time] sane, rational, mature, experienced, cool but level-headed residents--as opposed to, say, silly, unwitting, inexperienced tourists or wannabe yobs) really have only two choices: leave, or hole up for 7 days. I can do and have done either one; and leaving is always the better choice: you enjoy freedom of movement and whatever, and when you come back, all is just as it was. Call yourself a kind of snowbird who avoids a short winter of paste, urine, lake and sewer water, and in-your-face idiocy.

We need that guy who contracted the eye infection to come out and tell his story again.

No, it DOESN'T stop at any 6 PM.

YES!!

Couldn't agree more.

As a hard-core Songkran-fan though, I have to say that there are better places for Songkan than Pattaya. (The large Grumpy-Farang contingent, in addition to the Total-Hooligan-Farang contingent being two of the factors. There are some other ones as well.

If I was in Pattaya in the Songkran week (national holiday period) I would probably leave and go celebrate somewhere North or North-East. Anywhere with a lot of people and a plentiful water supply.

there are better places for Songkan than Pattaya. (The large Grumpy-Farang contingent, in addition to the Total-Hooligan-Farang contingent being two of the factors. There are some other ones as well.

And the others would include the large name-calling contingent (not that I'm by any means guiltless), who've made their predictable recurring appearance in absence of rational argument why EVERYONE should be forced to endure Songkran in PTY for SEVEN days (ONE day would be quite OK w/ most everyone), or else hole up or bear the expense and inconvenience of leaving.

Miserable sods . . . .

. . . the Songkran Grinches? :D

Edited by JSixpack

be careful of the kids ( and adults too?) that recharge their water devices from the gutter

That's the other drawback to Pattaya: There's just not enough water for a full-on Songkran level waterfight, leading to that kind of sillyness.

In Chiang Mai for example you have the unlimited supply of the city moat. (Which gets some water treatment before the festival, there's fish in it and kids swim in it, before anyone asks. )

But any town with a good and relatively clean water supply (river, lake etc) will do.

According to Google, the Songkran festival in Pattaya ends on April 20th. To avoid the mess, I will be staying in Bangkok prior to that.

April19th (finishing at 6pm) is the last day of Songkran in Pattaya, same as every year.