Farang Bar In Maejo Area.. Please

jackjones

There's a small one in Pimuk Moo Baan in San sai if you don't mind a short trip. 2 min from Meechok intersection.

There's good music, sport and good western food.

The crowd is mainly farrang but there are Thai's that go regular too.

It's called Bamboo bar and is owned by Joolz & Denise who used to own The What Bar in town.

Good folks and it's Joolz's birthday today so should be quite busy tonight.

If you require directions PM me with a number and I'll ring you to advise :intheclub::partytime2::burp:

We have a great restaurant and bar out hear in Doi Saket called Sayba Sayba (sp) i guarantee it usually has 6 to 12 farangs and there wife's there every afternoon. This keeps them from going into town. The customer base is pulled from a radius of 10 KM.

There's a nice (if small) Aussie/Thai pizza/pasta-joint, 1/2-mile down the side-road by Mae-Jo night-food-market, also the new German 'Heidelberg-Restaurant' on the main-road 2km south of Mae-Jo University, which has satellite-TV & Sunday-BBQs.

But I agree that darts/pool-table would help pull farang-customers in, if only Mae-Jo was more of a touristy-place, someone might open a Guest-House/Restaurant/Bar combined-business ?

But as more farangs move into the area, we might hope for something to open, to supplement the lively bar/restaurant-scene serving the students ? ! :)

There's a nice (if small) Aussie/Thai pizza/pasta-joint, 1/2-mile down the side-road by Mae-Jo night-food-market, also the new German 'Heidelberg-Restaurant' on the main-road 2km south of Mae-Jo University, which has satellite-TV & Sunday-BBQs.

But I agree that darts/pool-table would help pull farang-customers in, if only Mae-Jo was more of a touristy-place, someone might open a Guest-House/Restaurant/Bar combined-business ?

But as more farangs move into the area, we might hope for something to open, to supplement the lively bar/restaurant-scene serving the students ? ! :)

I've eaten at the Aussie/Thai owned place you speak of. Very nice food and cheap too.

Well worth a wander down the road from San sai

There's a small one in Pimuk Moo Baan in San sai if you don't mind a short trip. 2 min from Meechok intersection.

It's called Bamboo bar and is owned by Joolz & Denise who used to own The What Bar in town.

If you require directions PM me with a number and I'll ring you to advise :intheclub::partytime2::burp:

Will PM for directions. Thanks.

Edited by venturalaw

I've eaten at the Aussie/Thai owned place you speak of. Very nice food and cheap too.

I've eaten there a few times, and would also recommend it, they close Thursdays (as of last I heard) by-the-way. :)

where is the pizza joint?

I've eaten there a few times, and would also recommend it, they close Thursdays (as of last I heard) by-the-way. :)

I'm an Aussie who lives in San Sai and never seen or heard of the place. I thought I was the only aussie in the Chianmai area. Where is this place exactly

i know it ,maybe i have met you ? ,and you know the bar down the crossroads from it ,with the big American owner ,named Tod ?

I'm an Aussie who lives in San Sai and never seen or heard of the place. I thought I was the only aussie in the Chianmai area. Where is this place exactly

Coming from Chiang-Mai on the main road, you enter Mae-Jo and pass the University on your right, until 300m past the first footbridge, you find Mae-Jo night-food-market on your left. At the far end of the night food market, take the small paved road on the left (west), and follow it for half a mile as it passes food-stalls & various dormitory-blocks & shops serving the students.

Eventually on the right (north) side of the road is a small pizza-shop (closed Thursdays), with two tables outside & 4 inside (air-con), which is run by an Aussie named 'Con' and his Thai wife, whose mother owns the small 2-storey building which they use part of.

Edited by Ricardo

Coming from Chiang-Mai on the main road, you enter Mae-Jo and pass the University on your right, until 300m past the first footbridge, you find Mae-Jo night-food-market on your left. At the far end of the night food market, take the small paved road on the left (west), and follow it for half a mile as it passes food-stalls & various dormitory-blocks & shops serving the students.

Eventually on the right (north) side of the road is a small pizza-shop (closed Thursdays), with two tables outside & 4 inside (air-con), which is run by an Aussie named 'Con' and his Thai wife, whose mother owns the small 2-storey building which they use part of.

Thanks for the great directions. I'll definitely check it out.

i know it ,maybe i have met you ? ,and you know the bar down the crossroads from it ,with the big American owner ,named Tod ?

I know the small bar down the road but I've never been in there. If you frequent the Bamboo bar (bbb) then you will see me turn up on either a little Yamaha Mio or a white Kawasaki Ninja when I go there.

Went to the Bamboo Bar this evening and really enjoyed it. A great group of people. Highly recommend it. Thank you mrclough for the directions. :jap:

Couldn't have been that exciting if you were already home at 21:52. :lol:

Oh it was a great, exciting place. It's just that I am not all that exciting.

Went to the Bamboo Bar this evening and really enjoyed it. A great group of people. Highly recommend it. Thank you mrclough for the directions. :jap:

Couldn't have been that exciting if you were already home at 21:52. :lol:

Oh it was a great, exciting place. It's just that I am not all that exciting.

VL - I was there too last night - the guy with the rather friendly dog.

Con's pizza place is actually run by his stepson and his girlfriend (the stepson's, not Con's) and is called "Toon Pizza" and the building has a yellow frontage. Con is often there of an evening but not always. Agree - great pizzas using 100% homemade ingredients. Con is of Sicilian descent and definitely knows how to cook and has successfully passed his knowledge onto Toon. :)

Cheers,

Pikey.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give some landmark on Mae Jo Road that would help me find the German Heidelberg Restaurant? So far, this thread has it 2 minutes north of Mii Chok intersection and 2 km south of MJ university...That is a lot of territory!

I need something more specific like is it on the east side or west side of the street next to PTT gas station, etc? I would be coming from the Rimping Market so traveling north on Mae Jo road so what things like "go through the 121 intersection and then go past Land and House Moobaan, etc and look for ?"

Thanks in advance for more specifics....

CB

Never been but saw the Heidelberg last week. So, from Mee Chok/Rimping go north on the 1001, over the 121 crossroads, past L&H on the left, past the PT/7-11 on the left then after about 400m slow down. It's just about opposite Wawee Coffee still on the left but not terrifically well signposted. If you go as far as the new traffic lights at the Esso station you've missed it.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Can anyone give some landmark on Mae Jo Road that would help me find the German Heidelberg Restaurant? So far, this thread has it 2 minutes north of Mii Chok intersection and 2 km south of MJ university...That is a lot of territory!

I need something more specific like is it on the east side or west side of the street next to PTT gas station, etc? I would be coming from the Rimping Market so traveling north on Mae Jo road so what things like "go through the 121 intersection and then go past Land and House Moobaan, etc and look for ?"

CB

Heidelberg food is good and owner is very pleasant. As Pikey said, it is about across the street from Waa Wii Coffee and just a little (20?meters) south towards town. That puts it on the West side of the road. So coming from town past Land and House (the second one) look for Waa Wii Coffee set a bit back from the road on the right and Heidelberg will just behind you on the left. Or after Land and House go past the first opportunity for a U turn and slow down, it is in the middle of a row of 3 story shop houses on the same side as L&H. If you get to the traffic light about I km before Mae Joe, make a U turn because you have passed it by a km or two.

I have an idea for a bar in Maejo, but as I said earlier, I haven't the time or the money to persue it. I was thinking that as Maejo is the " Home of the cowboys" and infact i have seen quite a few cowboys on horseback riding through he town, then perhaps a Western saloon type bar might work. Something with a pool table, juke box, occasional live country and western or bluegrass music, barbeques, barn dances, swing doors, parking for pickup trucks and bikes and hopefully a few cowgirl waitresses. I would be happy to go there and cry into my beer while Tammy Wynette sings on the juke box.

CB

Heidelberg food is good and owner is very pleasant. As Pikey said, it is about across the street from Waa Wii Coffee and just a little (20?meters) south towards town. That puts it on the West side of the road. So coming from town past Land and House (the second one) look for Waa Wii Coffee set a bit back from the road on the right and Heidelberg will just behind you on the left. Or after Land and House go past the first opportunity for a U turn and slow down, it is in the middle of a row of 3 story shop houses on the same side as L&H. If you get to the traffic light about I km before Mae Joe, make a U turn because you have passed it by a km or two.

Great directions. What's on the menu what's the cost?

CB

Great directions. What's on the menu what's the cost?

German sausage and pork dishes with mashed potatoes or fries +. Fine breakfasts served all day. 150-180 Baht big meals. Thai food selection at reasonable prices.