Expats And Mosquitoes

malct

My Dr. friends tell me that vitamin B12 makes no difference to being bitten, but it does indeed, so they're wrong

:cheesy: Brilliant.

Doctors only believe in Pharmaceutical crap that causes more problems down the line so they can sell more toxic drugs. What did you expect them to say? Educate don't medicate. Glad to see you have a mind of your own. Very rare nowdays

Yes, 'cos we all know that those long white coats that Doctors wear have dozens on pockets on the inside and they spend all day whispering in peoples ears "PSSST, wanna buy some DEET"

Get a grip.

Since mozzies are attracted by CO2 ... maybe all the POMS could try stopping breathing

You have no idea how many times I have had the urge to make that suggestion every time this topic raises its head.

Mosquitoes find hosts by sight (they observe movement); by detecting infra-red radiation emitted by warm bodies; and by chemical signals (mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide and lactic acid, among other chemicals) at distances of 25 to 35 meters.

So to really stop them finding you, cover yourself in thermal resistant white paint, sit perfectly still, and then stop breathing.

All you can do is make yourself a less attractive or less viable target than everyone else around you, but the basic urge of all living creatures (the one to reproduce) is always prevalent, and, if you are the only source of blood around, you will get bitten.

The group who are at most risk are the ones who don't think they are, the "Oh, they don't bother me" brigade. Just because they are fortunate enough to have skin that doesn't erupt when they get bitten they think they are not getting bitten, well guess what, they are. And this makes it not a blessing for them but a curse. Some people are born with this 'immunity' some develop it over time.

When I first moved here, my skin would react and it would itch for hours. Now I get a small lump that niggles for a minute or two then disappears, eventually I will probably have no reaction at all, but I will never fool myself in to thinking that I am no longer getting bitten or that some barstool chat recommendation about drinking tonic water out of a yellow tin is a preventative.

Wear light and loose clothing that exposes as little skin as possible (sorry, spandex doesn't work) keep all standing water used for drinking covered at all times, empty all water that has collected in old tires, jam jars, beer cans or whatever other rubbish you have strewn around your garden, buy some cans of Baygon (other brands are available) and regularly spray the underside of tables, chairs etc...... and keep the padlom blowing all night.

Thailand ain't so bad as downtown Winnipeg in the summer.(they once measured bites per minute as being in the hundreds!)..but then again who would want to be there...

I find rubbing moist soda block on bites works well...to alleviate itching and help heal....works on all our polkadotted visitors from euro land....actually we hardly get any mosquitoes on our hill but it only takes one.

...at home one should probably check and empty any standing water ( old tyres and that tray under that plant you overwater...lol).

In Cairns Australia you will get fined if you have standing water around your house when "Dengue inspectors" come around.....!

Since mozzies are attracted by CO2 ... maybe all the POMS could try stopping breathing...never get bitten again??

what is moist soda block?

sun block?

baking soda?

coke?

pepsi?

here is a very strange aside

for a spell of hard time partying and hanging out with party animals

i noticed when doing certain controlled substances the mossies would not bite

and seemed to fly very slowly around us making the kill so easy

and it is not about smoking, which of course helps keep them away

i think it is more about what the skin is expiring and perhaps lowered body heat

never looked into it or followed up on it

i do not condom encourage or support any illegal behavior but have been fascinated by this 'side effect'

perhaps drugs really are poison and the bugs were feeling the effect

this was the first and only time i knew of this

and there may be a legal similar alternative

for information purposes only

please dont get your panties in a bundle :ph34r:

Someone told me recently that particular blood types don't get bitten ? Its also curious that Thais seem to accept the bites as normal, and Thai blood types are a bit different to ours. A friends' little girl has her legs covered in bites to the point of looking like a measles outbreak, but neither she or her mother seem too bothered by it, and ignore my offers of repellents.

Someone told me recently that particular blood types don't get bitten ?

They appear to be attracted to some blood groups more than others, but as I have said before, if a mosquito needs blood, and there is only one source around, tick, your it.

So to cap it off , If bitten once, your always going to get bitten, If you stay in Thailand for a day or 10 years!!!

I use to take yeast Tablets when travelling to the carribean, Didn't work and those sand flies used to bite to when the sun was going down.

On another note, they say that the mosquitoes are mainly active at dawn and dusk and never active during the day!!! Not to sure on that one, I know that the sand lies used to start biting when the sun was going down and then a strong smell of deet would appear when everyone would start to spray themselves.

On another note, they say that the mosquitoes are mainly active at dawn and dusk and never active during the day!!! Not to sure on that one,

Most mosquitoes are dawn and dusk active but will come out of hiding if disturbed. There is one particular variety that is day active as well as dusk and dawn, the Asian Tiger Mosquito (Aedes albopictus)they tend to hang around forest type areas. And yes it does transmit viruses.

I am one of those lucky ones who isn't bothered by mosquitoes. They will bite everyone else first. I have a friend who comes over and we sometimes sit outside. He covers himself with repellant, but they still go for him first!

The one thing I cannot tolerate is a mosquito buzzing in my ear when I am asleep. Not only will it wake me up; I'll have big problems getting back to sleep. Drives me nuts. I've even tried to be very still so they will bite me and be done.

Since mozzies are attracted by CO2 ... maybe all the POMS could try stopping breathing

You have no idea how many times I have had the urge to make that suggestion every time this topic raises its head.

Mosquitoes find hosts by sight (they observe movement); by detecting infra-red radiation emitted by warm bodies; and by chemical signals (mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide and lactic acid, among other chemicals) at distances of 25 to 35 meters.

So to really stop them finding you, cover yourself in thermal resistant white paint, sit perfectly still, and then stop breathing.

:cheesy: I'll try that, let u know how it works out :lol:

I am one of those lucky ones who isn't bothered by mosquitoes. They will bite everyone else first. I have a friend who comes over and we sometimes sit outside. He covers himself with repellant, but they still go for him first!

The one thing I cannot tolerate is a mosquito buzzing in my ear when I am asleep. Not only will it wake me up; I'll have big problems getting back to sleep. Drives me nuts. I've even tried to be very still so they will bite me and be done.

They don't like your smell :huh:, try deodorant, get bitten but we will think your cool. :lol:

Another herbal type of treatment is lashings of garlic, applied internally. It works its way through your system and as you sweat the garlic, it repels mosquitoes (and lots of other semi-sentient beings).

Also not proved to work with any significance ..... the mosquito part anyway.

Buy some Dettol and some baby oil from the supermarket. Put equal amounts into a spray bottle and spray on to your arms,legs etc.

Mosquito and flies will not bother you believe me.

Take equal measures fo creosote and brasso. Paint all exposed parts with creosote, and drink the brasso. It will keep alway mosquitos, termites and most fungal rot problems and give you an inner shine, as well as breaking your smoking habit, after the first one...

SC

EDIT: I thought you could not edit after a post had been quoted!

Edited by StreetCowboy

Another herbal type of treatment is lashings of garlic, applied internally. It works its way through your system and as you sweat the garlic, it repels mosquitoes (and lots of other semi-sentient beings).

Also not proved to work with any significance ..... the mosquito part anyway.

Buy some Dettol and some baby oil from the supermarket. Put equal amounts into a spray bottle and spray on to your arms,legs etc.

Mosquito and flies will not bother you believe me.

Take equal measures fo creosote and brasso. Paint all exposed parts with creosote, and drink the brasso. It will keep alway mosquitos, termites and most fungal rot problems and give you an inner shine, as well as breaking your smoking habit, after the first one...

SC

:cheesy: :cheesy:

Experiment with different Thai soaps. Really it works

Even the most patient mosquito in the world could not put up with even the highest quality Thai soap, it isn't conclusive yet if it the screaming, the same same plot lines or the boiiiiiing noises. :D

Picaridin spray repels mosquitoes, but it has to be reapplied after swimming, etc. to be effective. Worked for me in Thailand and I usually get eaten alive.

I read in another forum that papaya seeds work, but the English was unclear and I don't know if it works as a repellent (yes, they are bitter) or to kill off the malaria blood parasites, yet several people swore by it. Anyone heard of that?