Thais Warned Of Six Diseases In The Coming Summertime

Lite Beer

Public Health Ministry warns Thais of six diseases in the coming summertime

By Sodchuen Limkriangkrai

BANGKOK, MARCH 06 2011 (NNT)- Deputy Public Health Minister, Dr. Phansiri Kulnatsiri, says that summer is getting closer and it is the season in which harmful bacteria tend to develop, especially in water shortage areas, which can trigger a risk in spreading food and water borne diseases. Therefore, people should be specifically careful about food and drink sanitations.

Doctors said one should practice a simple principle in daily routine; eat warm and well cooked food. Food that is not eaten right away, should be kept in refrigerator and warmed before eating. Use common table spoon when eating in a group, wash hands before eating and after using the toilet and drink only clean water.

The Ministry also assigned Communicable Disease Control department to announce to the public prevention measures for diseases which often occurred annually during summer, the diseases are diarrhea, food poisoning, dysentery, typhoid, cholera, and hydrophobia. The public health offices in all parts of country will deal with 3 issues; Publicize and instruct people nationwide in order to prevent illness, pay attention to sanitation in food, drinks, water supply, and also in fresh market and public toilets , and to keep an eye on the condition of patients closely.

Furthermore, if there are any report on patients affected by the diseases, they should be immediately referred to a medical team.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-03-06 footer_n.gif

It would make a tremendous difference also if the Public Health Ministry, checked on the condition of public toilets, as well as the many food halls and street vendors, where hygiene is non existent. Not just in the coming months, but throughout the year.

jb1

It would be useful if these warnings were in the form of PSAs on TV stations instead of press releases. If we could see half the number of PSAs regarding food/water borne pathogens as there are beer advertisements (which are supposed to be illegal in Thailand), I wonder how many lives could be saved.

'jimbeam1' timestamp='1299406888' post='4262409']

It would make a tremendous difference also if the Public Health Ministry, checked on the condition of public toilets, as well as the many food halls and street vendors, where hygiene is non existent. Not just in the coming months, but throughout the year.

jb1

[/quote

Strange you should mention my thoughts even as i ' Thunk' .

What amazes me the most is that all of the things the health minister mentions should be put into practice with very young children so as to inure it into their future thinking , they are easily taught and explained .

I stayed away from the majority of Thai street vendors as their attention to hi-gene was practically none existent , pre-cooked foods sitting around for ages , vehicle smog , coughers and sneezers blowing germs willy-nilly into huge tubs of soup etc , buyers needing to handle EVERY piece of food/fruit in the pile just to make a choice , who knows where those hands/fingers had been prior to giving ' The feel' .

Use common table spoon when eating in a group

Does that mean sharing one spoon between everyone in a group? :unsure:

I guess it means using one spoon for serving the food, rather than everyone dipping their own spoons into the food for serving

I guess it means using one spoon for serving the food, rather than everyone dipping their own spoons into the food for serving

That makes more sense than my original interpretation. :)

But wont happen :bah:

jb1

The food you can see in the food courts and even some restaurants is barely luke warm, cooked many hours ago, Not maintained at a high temperature, I finish eating those places,breeding grounds for Bacteria , Cold Rice with cold Green curry seen it many places with that dry film across the top of it ... yukkkk

It means the spoon stays with the food and doesn't go into anyone's mouth.

And people freak about about "double dipping" (see Seinfeld episode) in the USA but when eating out at a even fairly nice Thai restaurants it is rare to see large utensils on the food plates that everyone shares.

I am disappointed that Chalerm Yubamrung isn't included in the list of diseases to avoid.

Agreed, Why not put the point on the spot and say cook the food to a high temperature, and eat fresh-----not warm your food, Bacteria love warm conditions. Salads wash with bottled water NOT from the well. and when you have finished wash your pots etc with hot soapy water, dry them and put them away, not a quick rince and dip--then a hang up and lazy drip dry in rat infested areas... and dont throw all the left overs on the garden to stink, hoping the chickns will eat it..... How many Thais have a bottle of bleach in the toilet shed/ or shower room. any hand towels in the kitchen area ?? I would guess rural Thais have the most probs and are not educated properly on hygene matters. they wash clothes and throw over a bamboo to dry. and the house thermal ice / water bucket. 1 plastic cup on the top for family-and visiters.

Edited by ginjag

My wife leaves cooked food out for up to two days and eats it and never gets sick! I eat it after one hour left out and well lets just say it doesn't sick around long. My Thai friends think nothing of leaving cooked food outside on a table in the yard for 12 hours and eating it. Are they immune to the bacteria and fly vomit? I think they are crazy slash stupid but they do not seem to get sick.

Food that is not eaten right away, should be kept in refrigerator and warmed before eating.

Yep, the effect will be twofold, it'll put a bit of a strain on the hospital admissions from slight stomach complaints, but it will reduce the amounts of deaths by motorsai....

Warmed? .... left out in the sun for a bit, again?

Why are they only warning Thais? Do Farangs not matter or do we already know all we need to about food hygiene?

Warm food is a disaster,a breeding ground, he should have said hot food- above 60oC

Spoons? Just use your fingers. Problem solved.B)

In Thailand we don't use serving spoons - I've often been told. And when I insist on one, some Thai's around the table still use their own spoons to serve themselves :sick::bah:

- Deputy Public Health Minister, Dr. Phansiri Kulnatsiri, says that summer is getting closer and it is the season in which harmful bacteria tend to develop, especially in water shortage areas, which can trigger a risk in spreading food and water borne diseases. Therefore, people should be specifically careful about food and drink sanitations.

The Ministry also assigned Communicable Disease Control department to announce to the public prevention measures for diseases which often occurred annually during summer, the diseases are diarrhea, food poisoning, dysentery, typhoid, cholera, and hydrophobia.

Hydrophobia??? a food and water borne disease?

Can you give the run down on that one, Doc?

In Thailand we don't use serving spoons - I've often been told. And when I insist on one, some Thai's around the table still use their own spoons to serve themselves :sick::bah:

They all Dip in, and not always with spoons-licked fingers is the norm, What the H#ell is this Heath woman talking about, as in my last post speaks volumes-the truth, It is becoming sickening to hear all the BULL from educated people advising that diseases are on the way this warm season-as NISA said its generally warm all the year--and if it isn't there are still rules in cold climes the same NO wamed up food. keep your food cool and in containers, clean your food areas, common sense things.............teach common sense in schools and the home and then it's instilled into the people for life...

Toilets in general are Discusting...a good mobile is more expensive than a tiled shower room. with bleach.--third world education--coupled with modern Hi tech......JOKE

They all Dip in, and not always with spoons-licked fingers is the norm, What the H#ell is this Heath woman talking about, as in my last post speaks volumes-the truth, It is becoming sickening to hear all the BULL from educated people advising that diseases are on the way this warm season-as NISA said its generally warm all the year--and if it isn't there are still rules in cold climes the same NO wamed up food. keep your food cool and in containers, clean your food areas, common sense things.............teach common sense in schools and the home and then it's instilled into the people for life...

Toilets in general are Discusting...a good mobile is more expensive than a tiled shower room. with bleach.--third world education--coupled with modern Hi tech......JOKE

I have seen them put the spoon in their mouth, before putting it in the communal pot :sick:

jb1

I have seen them put the spoon in their mouth, before putting it in the communal pot :sick:

jb1

This is the norm-Thais do it in nice eating places.

funny warnings, when you are in the public toilet and you see some people working in your favorite restaurant, not washing hands after going to do nr 1 or nr 2 ... that for me is an incentive never to go eat there again

what about water/ice you get in your drink ? it will not be from bottled water, so maybe running tab water (which is not drinkable ?)

jb1

You say this as if you witnessed something odd. They are simply licking the spoon clean of other food before digging into a fresh communal dish. ;-)

When I go out with the Thai extended family it is the norm to use the same spoon you are eating with as your own personal serving spoon. The family is by no means hiso types but all live comfortably and have new clean homes. They also all follow the standard traditions of typical Thai cleanliness such as removing shoes before entering a house.

I've wondered if the eating things shows a type of intimacy and trust or if it is just lack of awareness of how germs are spread. It could also be tradition such as removing your shoes. I go to a dentist office in BKK where they want you to remove your shoes and put on the slippers/shoes they have in a shoe stand by the door. When you leave you put the slippers back in the shoe rack for the next person. The first time I went I was a little taken back that here is a medical office where they want you to share shoes/slippers with God knows how many other barefoot people as opposed to taking a chance your own flip flops may bring in some dirt on their floor which I am sure is cleaned daily. Yet, the shoe-slippers where a leathery type and there is no way they were washing those daily (if ever) and doubt very much they had disinfectant spray as a bowling alley has since you literally put the shoes back in the rack for the next customer.

I truly think there is a lack of awareness in terms of how germs are spread and if it comes to tradition then even if there is an awareness the tradition wins out. This is also very surprising given all the different flew epidemics that have broken out in Thailand. I've even seen them use a dry rag on the escalator railings to dust them as opposed to having some kind of damp alcohol/disinfectant rag since this is clearly one surface that has to be responsible for spreading tons of germs from those infected sneezing or using their finger to clear their nose.

I've never been one of those people worried about diseases from doorknobs but have become radically more aware of where of washing my hands and where I put my hands given the flu scares in Thailand combined with so many people cramped in small places here.

funny warnings, when you are in the public toilet and you see some people working in your favorite restaurant, not washing hands after going to do nr 1 or nr 2 ... that for me is an incentive never to go eat there again

what about water/ice you get in your drink ? it will not be from bottled water, so maybe running tab water (which is not drinkable ?)

But at least it is common to see a women attendant in the mens room who has no problem cleaning the urinal as you pee in the one right next to her. Always wondered if this is common in any other countries especially anywhere in the west. No way would an employer get away with having a women clean the men's room while it was still open for use.