Questions Regarding Teaching!

Hello,

I'm a 19 year old white male from the west coast of Canada which I guess means my accent is really clear? I've heard that Japanese look for people from the west coasts because their accents are easiest to learn or something along those lines?

So I'm wondering what I need to teach over there? How do I get into this?

It's a side road off Sukhumvit in Bangkok, close to Soi Cowboy. The girlie bars/clubs there are more expensive than the other gogo/beer bar areas and favoured by Japanese clients.

I disagree, it is frequented by mostly expats from England that are not English teachers, as it costs more.

OP, get yourself over here, forget Uni or getting a degree.

I did a degree course before I came here - waste of time.

You can always buy one here.

You spend 4 years teaching in Thailand and I guarantee you will be a better teacher than some spotty 22 year old graduate who is coming out for a year or two.

It's a side road off Sukhumvit in Bangkok, close to Soi Cowboy. The girlie bars/clubs there are more expensive than the other gogo/beer bar areas and favoured by Japanese clients.

I disagree, it is frequented by mostly expats from England that are not English teachers, as it costs more.

You spend 4 years teaching in Thailand and I guarantee you will be a better teacher than some spotty 22 year old graduate who is coming out for a year or two.

Alright! So where do I go over there to teach...? I've heard you can teach monks for free?

I have taught monks and they are usually great fun and they taught me a lot.

I taught the abbot from a Nontaburi Wat who was going abroad when I was new to Thailand. I was terrifiied as what to do with him and especially the respectful way to address him. no need to worry, monks don't care about all that from new farang.

Try going to a temple and asking if any want taught. Ask to speak to the Abbot. Ask on the Thai forum about what to say.

And here we have the two versions of the current way of thinking.

..., get a BA in anything from a University and you can teach just about anywhere. Finish school first and your life will be easier when you move here. If you rush too fast over here unprepared, your life can be more difficult in the long run.

One giving logical advice especially for one so young and one err not.

After 4 years experience, I would bloody well hope he would be "better" than a fresh graduate.

The question you should be asking is, after 4 years of experience for both, who is better placed? Odds are the guy with the degree and the experience is.

Jesse, stay home and get the degree, then come to work here.

Hello,

I'm a 19 year old white male from the west coast of Canada which I guess means my accent is really clear? I've heard that Japanese look for people from the west coasts because their accents are easiest to learn or something along those lines?

Have I missed something here?

Hello,

Have I missed something here?

I wasn't saying I'm trying to teach in Japan. I've just heard that Japanese prefer our accents. Easier to learn :o

• 3 weeks later...

Disagree - big time!! How can you educate others if you aren't educated yourself? And what if that spotty 22 year old graduate held a degree in education? He may not have the 4 years experience but he would have a sound knowledge of methodology. The last thing we need is more bad teachers. People who think they can teach English just because they can speak it? Not worth the money they are paid.

Get a degree.

Edited by Simone