18 Yr-old Dutch Woman Raped In Phuket

george

Gazette News: Two singers sought for rape

PATONG: -- Two Thai singers are being sought on charges of sexually assaulting a young woman from the Netherlands in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Pol Lt Weerapong Rakhito of Kathu Police Station said that, at 3:30 am on Saturday, Patong Hospital reported that two women tourists, one apparently the victim of a sexual assault, had arrived there by tuk-tuk.

Eighteen-year-old “Anna” (not her real name) told police she had been attacked twice earlier that morning at the residence of the accused on Siriraj Rd.

Lt Weerapong said that Anna and her sister Linda (not her real name), 25, said that they had come to Phuket on vacation. Linda said that they went to Sera Pub at Patong Hill, where Anna and a male singer identified only by the name of “Pla” were on friendly terms. Pla was the lead singer of a band that regularly performed in the bar.

Linda explain ed to the police that, after the pub closed, Pla persuaded Anna to go with him to his room up the hill behind the pub “to get something”. An hour later, Anna returned to the bar without her shoes, and with a black eye and blood on her legs.

Linda told police that Pla had forced Anna into his room and allegedly raped her. Afterwards, Linda said, as Anna escaped from Pla’s room clutching her clothes, another singer from Pla’s band allegedly grabbed hold of Anna.

When Anna resisted, the second man allegedly punched her in the stomach and the face, and then raped her.

Anna left the hospital on Saturday after receiving treatment

Lt Weerapong added that Anna had photos of both accused attackers in her digital camera.

The two singers have yet to be found, but face charges of rape, punishable by imprisonment of four years to 20 years and a fine of 8,000 baht to 40,000 baht.

Lt Weerapong said, “We believe both men are still in Phuket. We are looking for them and will arrest them as soon as they are found.”

--Phuket Gazette 2005-09-15

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad judgement - don't go anywhere with someone you really dont know. (Same applies if it was a male)

While I agree that, to be absolutely safe, one should never go anywhere with a stranger, the article said that she was on friendly terms with this fellow. Sounds like they had been flirting or had become friends. When i think about any male tourist going with a bargirl, both parties are excercising "bad judgment."

Seems to me that is the overly cautious approach to life and also the "hindsight is 20/20" approach. We all want security AND adventure. The challenge is finding a balance. In this case, she trusted this fellow and her judgment was bad. But can you imagine how cold this world would be if everyone refused to trust anyone else?

Bad judgement - don't go anywhere with someone you really dont know. (Same applies if it was a male)

While I agree that, to be absolutely safe, one should never go anywhere with a stranger, the article said that she was on friendly terms with this fellow. Sounds like they had been flirting or had become friends. When i think about any male tourist going with a bargirl, both parties are excercising "bad judgment."

Seems to me that is the overly cautious approach to life and also the "hindsight is 20/20" approach. We all want security AND adventure. The challenge is finding a balance. In this case, she trusted this fellow and her judgment was bad. But can you imagine how cold this world would be if everyone refused to trust anyone else?

There is nothing knows about what happened there! Something totally different.

It is sad to see these things happen, but they do everywhere.

Edited by george

The two singers have yet to be found, but face charges of rape, punishable by imprisonment of four years to 20 years and a fine of 8,000 baht to 40,000 baht.

<deleted> is the point of a 8,000 - 40,000 baht fine?

Its an insult to the victims of such a crime

Edited by dave111223

hi guys,

yes lets castrate them first and get the facts later....

we dont know what happened and in what order, so save the hanging till sunday and perhaps gather the proper information first...

we all know newspapers have a way of bending the truth..or ommiting facts..

perhaps we shall never know the real truth..

amarka

I know that is ridiculous :o . Dont get that just casterate them !

Amarka- black eye and bleeding says it all!!! :D

hi guys,

yes lets castrate them first and get the facts later....

we dont know what happened and in what order, so save the hanging till sunday and perhaps gather the proper information first...

we all know newspapers have a way of bending the truth..or ommiting facts..

perhaps we shall never know the real truth..

amarka

I know that is ridiculous :o . Dont get that just casterate them !

Any young female tourist that hooks up with (or trusts) a Thai male should be prepared for the consequences.

Many Thai females are raped by someone they are close to by the time they are 15 - 17 :o

Should accept the consequences , are you serious ? From what the article read she was pretty well beatin' . You need some help if you think this way .

Any young female tourist that hooks up with (or trusts) a Thai male should be prepared for the consequences.

Many Thai females are raped by someone they are close to by the time they are 15 - 17 :o

Should accept the consequences , are you serious ? From what the article read she was pretty well beatin' . You need some help if you think this way .

What is it about these threads, everybody starts going off in different directions.

He said be 'prepared' not 'accept'.

Its a serious topic, take some time to read and understand what people write.

Edited by bkkmadness

Please read my contribution again......

I never suggested that she should accept the consequences. What I did say was that she should be "prepared" and then take the appropriate action, which in my book would be to avoid Thai males like the plague.

As for needing help perhaps you might get someone to help you read and then digest what is written in the thread. :D

Please read my contribution again......

I never suggested that she should accept the consequences. What I did say was that she should be "prepared" and then take the appropriate action, which in my book would be to avoid Thai males like the plague.

As for needing help perhaps you might get someone to help you read and then digest what is written in the thread. :D

I seriously hope that the culprits are swiftly arrested and punished to the absolute maximum if they have committed the horrendous act of beating and raping a young girl on holiday ! 40,000 Baht is a 1,000 USD and a joke. If I was a parent of the poor girl I'd put 10x that money on their heads (the little ones that it is)...

On top of all the reputation this country gets ....

Gazette News: Two singers sought for rape

Was the older sister with the younger ? This is written almost like the older was in the outer room waiting and saw her younger sister "Anna escaped from Pla’s room clutching her clothes" and then there was another singer there.

Linda told police that Pla had forced Anna into his room and allegedly raped her. Afterwards, Linda said, as Anna escaped from Pla’s room clutching her clothes, another singer from Pla’s band allegedly grabbed hold of Anna.

When Anna resisted, the second man allegedly punched her in the stomach and the face, and then raped her. end quote

It sounds almost like the older sister witnessed it all. I would also hope that was not the case. But in any event,what kind of judgement does this show on the older sisters behalf to let younger sister go off on a lark like this.

Maybe, just maybe all the facts are not out yet.

In any case the girl was beaten and that is not justified. Rape or starting off willingly is no justification for beating an 18 year old , or a person of any age.

This is very sad for the victim, her sister and their family. It is equally sad to see so many people who think people like her should be willing to accept the consequences.

One of "communication" errors between Western and Thai people has to do with going with someone alone. A lot of females here would never allow themselves to be alone with a male, even briefly. Males are used to the idea of the gal bringing a bevy of friends with her everywhere. The assumption when she does show up alone is that she is more willing to making it a deeper relationship.

Add to that all the stereotypes about "loose" western women and you have a bad combination.

All that said, however, very few men would take on a seriously resisting woman. It's just not much of a turn on to have some screaming, clawing, fighting lady on your hands--that's why rape is a violent crime and not a sexual crime.

Facts need to be gotten out on this case as to exactly who did the beating etc.

Situations like these are also sad for tourism in Thailand.

Quite true, this is often virtually a marriage proposal. One that cannot be refused due to the loss of face if the girl doesn't marry the offending boy friend. :D

Never the less Rape is a crime that happens everywhere in the world and isn't unusual enough to warrant much of a discussion in a forum such as this in my opinion.

Never the less Rape is a crime that happens everywhere in the world and isn't unusual enough to warrant much of a discussion in a forum such as this in my opinion.

I would disagree totally.. obviously there is a lack of "discussion" to get the word out for women to be careful when accompanying a male here. As previously mentioned, the understanding between the two can be quite different. It should be emphasized that the report stated she went to his room to retrieve something. It could have easily been something as simple and brief as "Oh, I have to go get my mobile phone that I left in my room." I don't believe she followed him there for any type of rendevous... or was "asking for it by going with him," but as mentioned, they had become friends, and she simply did what many friends would do in the West.

Tourists need to be educated on the nuances of visiting here and I would think this forum provides an excellent opportunity for that to occur. If, by discussing it, it might prevent a future tourist from suffering the same savage rape, it's certainly worthwhile.

Edited by sriracha john

Its an insult to the victims of such a crime

If you read it more carefully, the fine is in addition to a jail term. Have you visited a Thai jail? I believe western countries have similar penalties, and it is up to the judge to decide what is appropriate.

I just hope these Thai guys, if guilty, do not have a general/policeman/politician :o as a father

Danm right mate! especially in Thailand! i remember in my days of innocence getting drunk in a karaoke bar (in pra khanong only Thais) with some Thai guys and when i said i am off home to my condo 2 of them said they would walk the same way...they walked as far as to see whhich hose i went into i thought they were just being friendly but looking back i realise theywere "casing My Gaff" (Eyingmy place up to rob!) Luckily i i moved a week later if not something would have happened for sure!

:o

Or younger!

Yes! nice people! - land of smiles (so long as they are getting something off you!) The good are gooder than good and the bad are badder than bad

land of extremes

when i said i am off home  to my condo 2 of them said they would walk the same way...they walked as far as to see whhich hose i went into i thought they were just being friendly but looking back i realise theywere "casing My Gaff" (Eyingmy place up to rob!) Luckily i i moved a week later if not something would have happened for sure!

:D

How on Earth do you know they were casing your house if you moved and nothing happened?? ESP?? Pre-cognition???

mai kaow jai?? :o:D

and by your admission, you were drunk...

could it POSSIBLY be that they actually were just looking out for you?

Linda explain ed to the police that, after the pub closed, Pla persuaded Anna to go with him to his room up the hill behind the pub “to get something”.
It should be emphasized that the report stated she went to his room to retrieve something. It could have easily been something as simple and brief as "Oh, I have to go get my mobile phone that I left in my room."  I don't believe she followed him there for any type of rendevous... or was "asking for it by going with him," but as mentioned, they had become friends, and she simply did what many friends would do in the West.
Who goes to a man's room in the early hours of the morning to watch TV or something after being in a bar all night? Definately bad judgement on her part even though I do feel sorry for her.

It often helps to read before writing.

:o

Thai men = such arrogance - even their mothers cant control them

play the rock star - drink- drive- fight - rape with impunity :o

The timing and place of this incident is most interesting

Phuket trying to recover after afer the tsunami, low tourist numbers

so the press reads Phuket not a safe place to be

Thailand better get out the spin doctors and turn this one around quick

Solution: guilty or not these guys need to be made an example of - they need to get the biggest fine and the longest jail term in the history of Thailands criminal records

This will make the front page in papers all around the world

BONUS: Maybe a few dead head thai guys will think twice next time - not only about messing with dollar raising foreigners but local women as well - as they get a very raw deal