Tot Adsl Available In Vilage Next Door.

penzman

I've been trying to get ADSL since we've moved here last year. :D

I was once told it'd be available in 2 months, so I called 4 months later :D and was then told a year. Yesterday, in the village next door I saw a new ToT banner advertising ADSL is now available. I could actually see the banner from here if I was to climb up on the roof.

Last time we called we were told they were "wiring" the village across the road, now they're telling us the village on the same side of the road, next to us has ADSL.

Are these sales people full of it or do I remember that you have to be so many km's from the central (3km, 5km, can't remember) in order to get the service.

Surely they can't be adding customers village by village when only a wall separates them?

My wife called yesterday, 6 months! :D

Forgot to mention, Ji-Net can apparently provide the service here through our ToT phoneline but ToT would expect us to pay them an additional 700 baht/month and connection fees :o

Edited by penzman

It depends on the exchange equipment. That has to be upgraded to provide adsl.

It is the first 5 digits that define the exchange, e.g. 038 31xxxx.

After that you are limited by the distance, but the latest is 5km.

Keep hammering away down at the telephone office.

Edited by astral

I've been trying to get ADSL since we've moved here last year.  :D

I was once told it'd be available in 2 months, so I called 4 months later :D and was then told a year. Yesterday, in the village next door I saw a new ToT banner advertising ADSL is now available. I could actually see the banner from here if I was to climb up on the roof.

Last time we called we were told they were "wiring" the village across the road, now they're telling us the village on the same side of the road, next to us has ADSL.

Are these sales people full of it or do I remember that you have to be so many km's from the central (3km, 5km, can't remember) in order to get the service.

Surely they can't be adding customers village by village when only a wall separates them?

My wife called yesterday, 6 months! :D

Forgot to mention, Ji-Net can apparently provide the service here through our ToT phoneline but ToT would expect us to pay them an additional 700 baht/month and connection fees  :o

Its normal for TOT to charge for the line and the ISP to charge for the ISP package... Dont understand the laughter..

Gets confusing as TOT are now bundling the ISP with the line costs if you want it or not (tho the ISP can be so bad as people just bin the service and pay for a 'real' ISP)..

All that said if JI net can provide you ADSL on your line it means it ADSL ready.. TOT should also be able to provide on the same line in theory (who would be the TOT ISP in your area ??) I suspect you just spoke to a badly informed TOT rep (is there any other kind ??) if your sure JI can supply..

Also are you really willing to wait months and months more after all this time rather than pay 700 baht per month to get it now ??

Edited by LivinLOS

Its normal for TOT to charge for the line and the ISP to charge for the ISP package... Dont understand the laughter..

ToT wants the usual monthly fee for the telephone line + 700 baht for using an other company's ADSL on it + connection fees.

Also are you really willing to wait months and months more after all this time rather than pay 700 baht per month to get it now ??

Yes.

That would by paying an extra 700 baht per month as he would have to pay both JI and TOT.

I would hold on a little longer if ADSL is starting to be advertised around you as I suspect your turn will come soon. TOT may have to upgrade your phone line to make it work with ADSL and would prefer you pay them 700 baht per month extra to absorb that cost rather than do it first - but the genie is out of the box and it appears ADSL is probably closer in time now than ever before (how is that for a safe statement). :o

Yeah...

Strange though that all the houses on a street are back to back with houses from the other village, separated by a 6 foot wall, one side has ADSL, the other doesn't.

Our moo ban is only a year old, I doubt ToT hasn't made the system ADSL ready, but then again...

Even if my download speed (5k/sec.) only doubles, I'll be happy with it, for a while.

I can wait... what's a few months (year maybe) more?

That would by paying an extra 700 baht per month as he would have to pay both JI and TOT. 

But thats normal..

For the first approx 1.5 years I had ADSL I had to pay TOT for the line and JI net for the ISP.. One is a hardware cost and another is a ISP cost.. Thats still the way it works down here on Phuket if you dont use the goldcyber package which they essentially bundle 'free' with TOT (or whatever TT&T now 'bundle')..

I did this for 1 - 1.5 years with TOT and JI net and I nearly signed back to JI last week and would have paid 1000 baht (its a 1024 line.. IIRC 700 baht gets you the 512 / 256 line) per month for the hardware line on my TOT bill and then JI would charge me a ISP fee (I think 1800 for DSL compax in my region last time I checked but not positive) in a seperate bill..

This only changes if you use the 'bundled' ISP's like Hinet / Maxthon and Pacific depending on area and line provider.. If you will see last week how pacific died for a whole week you will see why many people and businesses in Phuket choose to use a 'real' ISP and not the bundled services.

It is a bit rich that you pay the same price for line + ISP as you do for line only (shows what the ISP is worth perhaps) but thats how it is and always has been down here on phuket..

Yeah...

Strange though that  all the houses on a street are back to back with houses from the other village,  separated by a 6 foot wall, one side has ADSL, the other doesn't.

Our moo ban is only a year old, I doubt ToT hasn't made the system ADSL ready, but then again...

Even if my download speed (5k/sec.) only doubles, I'll be happy with it, for a while.

I can wait... what's a few months (year maybe) more?

The point being if JI net say they can give you ADSL on your current telephone line then the exchange you are using is ADSL equipped.. If this is the case I have no idea why you cant get the TOT and 'free' ISP bundle (I suspect whoever told you may be wrong) but they are clearly telling you that you can get the TOT + JI net bundle (2 bills instead of one)..

Why not ask for that service and once the hardware side of the line is provided.. Ask to use the TOT ISP (in my experience you get line first anyway.. THEN take the ISP up on its service).. Net effect is you then have the ADSL line turned on, the ADSL modem in your house handshaking with the recieving modem in the local exchange / switching station.. Once at that point you should be able to use ANY ADSL ISP in your region providing you have an account with them..

Even if you cant.. Does 700 baht really hold you back from broadband ??? If so dont even look at IPStar.. I was >15k per month sometimes with bandwidth (ok that was bad months and I soon learnt but)..