Whats The Strangest Thing Youve Seen Someone Eat?

BIG SPUDS

I was in Japan riding on the train when the girl opposite started combing her hair.

As she continued to comb dandruff started to fall out of her hair onto a piece of paper she has strategically placed on her lap.

She then pushed all the dandruff together in a lump and proceeded to eat it.

:D:D:D:D:bah:

No <deleted>' comment!

I can get with the eating of strange foods as a source of protein (or a huge stiffy :o ) but dandruff?

btw I think one of the most disgusting things in foods is the Pizza Hut stuffed crust pizzas. When you pull the slices apart the melted cheese stuffing oozes out like some giant booger. :bah:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Groene Haring.

Or green harring.

Putrid and rotten, it's enjoyed by scandanavians and the nederlanders.

someone tried to import it to the US but refused by

FDA as being unfit for human/animal consumption.

I've tried all the bugs, jellyfish, horseshoe crab eggs, frogs and stinky fish in Thailand. Had live limpet snails in Hawaii, Lots of raw stuff in Japan.

But every Christmas I eat a traditional Finnish/Swedish dish called "lutefisk". A lye soaked fish that is left out on the porch to cure. The lye is then repeatedly boiled out (a silver spoon is passed through the steam rising from the fish, if it doesn't tarnish it's no longer poisonous)

The resulting gelatinous substance is served over potatoes with (thank God) a tasty white sauce and lots of black pepper.

I hated it in my youth.......now I enjoy it (once a year!)

Edited by pumpuiman

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... I used to pick OPIHI off the rocks in Hawaii and eat those raw with some soy sauce and sliced ginger that my wife mixed up - it was goodstuff... baloot - bird fetuses... not anything I'd repeat...

other stuff... snails, alligator in florida, rice bugs in isaan, bla-rah (bla-la, ba-la however you want to pronounce it - fermented fish or crab sauce) also in isaan.

rabbit, squirrel and deer in pennsylvania growing up...

sea cucumber... hmm, what else... I know I'm forgetting something disgusting but can't put my finger on it right now...

Someone said penguin - yeah, that's the first I heard that one....

:o

Vern

• 2 weeks later...

Done the usual Thai stuff, live fish in Japan, HK and Taiwan, but if you are ever given the option of ducks feet or sharks lips, choose the ducks feet - more meet and much nicer.

Sharks lips are like the thick rubber ring on a condom without the tasty Durex sauce.

how about mang daa, flying cockroche looking bug but biger, the thais eat it by sucking out the fluid from the tail.

uck :o

All the afore mentioned delicacies are quite palatable compared to the Aussie meat Pie as i have mentioned many times before!! You Beauuuuuuty :D Nignoy

I was amazed at how many of the girls we met in LOS weren't into Maccy D's (as opposed to 99.9% of the chubby mingers over here in UK)

Stupidly took them to McD's thinking it a treat and they hardly touched the stuff, 'too mud make mu ton' they tell me

You really know how to treat your ladies. Put on ya best shell suit love, we're goin to Maccy Dees!!! :o

Last year I was cooking while being watch closely by OH's sister (mid 40s) in the kitchen, I was using a knife to scrape off the sinew and tendons from some chicken placing it on the side of a plate. I had the feeling she was going to intervene, just as I was about to throw this waste out for the dogs she jumped in and coated these white fiberous scraps in flour and deep fried them. :o

• 4 weeks later...
how about mang daa, flying cockroche looking bug but biger, the thais eat it by sucking out the fluid from the tail.

uck :D

All the afore mentioned delicacies are quite palatable compared to the Aussie meat Pie as i have mentioned many times before!! You Beauuuuuuty :D Nignoy

mmmmm... enough of the meat pies, been far too long without me offal-filled Aussie Mrs Mac's, smeared in tomato sauce, dribbling down me chin :o beats watching the locals here sucking sheep's brains straight from the skull and using skull fragments as spoons to pick 'em dry :D ...and they think is dirty to eat with your left hand...

I found the elephant meat in Bloemfontein quite nice, bit fatty, but much better than the zebra steaks. All washed down with a nice escargot.

Quite some years back I was taken by a Thai chap to a snake (cobra) restaurant out of Chang Mai. Not so politically or environmentally correct these days I guess.

Picked a snake ... drink the blood and bile with Mekong and then sit down to assorted dishes of snake. Nice enough meat but lots of bones.

It was one of those macho things where you down the blood, bile and Mekong .... hope that your body doesn't go into automatic vomit mode and try to look cool at the same time. Tricky !!

never actually seen it live - but these women/men that following childbirth - eat the placenta

im not a parent as yet, so dont shoot me down, but i fail to see why anyone would want to eat their own placenta... tree huggers or not - i find this totally bewildering

if you know of someone or yourselves have had an urge to do this - please enlighten

Whats the strangest thing youve seen someone eat, i know weve all seen locust, beetles on sale and being eaten by thai's. But is there anything else out there you think is just wrong.

I have been known to eat an apple sandwich wich some people think is crazy. I have tried locust.

My girlfirnd and i were eating icecream the other night. I went to answer the phone. When i came back she was eating a sandwich. Now what have you got i asked. Ice cream sandwich!

Now thats wrong :o

What about you?

Horse, camel, sheeps eyeballs, various animal genatalia, snake, insects and most of the items listed by other posters. but the strangest was listed on a Middle East restaurant menu as 'Look-in basket' Turned out to be a tiny basket beautifully woven from candy filled with scrambled egg! It was tasty!

Used to go to a lot of motorcycle races when I lived in Europe. One time at the Le mans 24 hour races, we fell in with a bunch of French guys who invited us to share wine and BBQ food. We drunk heaps of cheap red wine and ate this great sausage which was really meaty and herby and apparently claled "Andouilette". Upon arriving back to my place in Brussels I told the old boy next door of my weekend and the fact that I'd tried andouilette and thought it very tasty. His eyes lit up and he invited myself and my then (vegetarian) wife to dinner the following evening with the promise of "ze best andouilette you 'av ever tasted!). OK, game on.

I'm a Brit but at the time was working in Belgium and went to work the next day and talking to one of my French Belgian mates, i happened to mention that evenings dinner invitation. He has a laugh that has to be heard to be believed but the upshot was "andouilette? do you know what that is?". Me: "yep, some kind of herby French sausage - tasted great last weekend at Le mans". Him: " Pikey, it's the last 6 inches of a pig's intestine - the 6 inches that ends in daylight!"

Well, that thought played through my head for the rest of the day. I went home, explained to my then wife what was about to happen and the severe reservations I had "can we call it off? say one of us is ill or something?" I plead. "No, we can't do that, they are lovely people and would be really offended, let's go and just do our best". Bloody fine for her to say that as she's a veggie and they knew it - no andouilette trial for her!

So, in the door and Pikey immediately starts swilling the grog as at Le mans it was definitely palatable when under the influence - thing is, that time I didn't know what I was eating. Conversation and wine flowed, followed by starters - snails in garlic! Not great but had them before and ate a couple without too much problem. OK, da da da dah! main course time. Out comes a silver salver(?) complete with lid ( I kid you not) and the guy (Daniel) with much ceremony, lifts the lid...... to reveal a couple of large, pinky, veined sausage shaped "things" - I almost puked at the sight. Daniel proudly announced that he's been boiling them for hours and had made a special mustard sauce to go with it!

Dished up with potatoes and veggies and sat on the plate in front of me, glistening, all I could think of was "pigs a*se, pigs a*se, on my God, pigs a*se!". I cut a morsel off and inserted it into my mouth and immediately (surely a psychological thing?) tasted sh*t! I wretched and then swallowed it, concentrating with all my will for it to go down. After that, I ate all the spuds & beggies and then feigned an upset stomach and made some excuses to leave. When we got back next door, i was violently sick.

Moral: you can eat many things under the influence of alcohol, but in the cold light of day, think again!

Cheers,

Pikey.

Used to go to a lot of motorcycle races when I lived in Europe. One time at the Le mans 24 hour races, we fell in with a bunch of French guys who invited us to share wine and BBQ food. We drunk heaps of cheap red wine and ate this great sausage which was really meaty and herby and apparently claled "Andouilette". Upon arriving back to my place in Brussels I told the old boy next door of my weekend and the fact that I'd tried andouilette and thought it very tasty. His eyes lit up and he invited myself and my then (vegetarian) wife to dinner the following evening with the promise of "ze best andouilette you 'av ever tasted!). OK, game on.

I'm a Brit but at the time was working in Belgium and went to work the next day and talking to one of my French Belgian mates, i happened to mention that evenings dinner invitation. He has a laugh that has to be heard to be believed but the upshot was "andouilette? do you know what that is?". Me: "yep, some kind of herby French sausage - tasted great last weekend at Le mans". Him: " Pikey, it's the last 6 inches of a pig's intestine - the 6 inches that ends in daylight!"

Well, that thought played through my head for the rest of the day. I went home, explained to my then wife what was about to happen and the severe reservations I had "can we call it off? say one of us is ill or something?" I plead. "No, we can't do that, they are lovely people and would be really offended, let's go and just do our best". Bloody fine for her to say that as she's a veggie and they knew it - no andouilette trial for her!

So, in the door and Pikey immediately starts swilling the grog as at Le mans it was definitely palatable when under the influence - thing is, that time I didn't know what I was eating. Conversation and wine flowed, followed by starters - snails in garlic! Not great but had them before and ate a couple without too much problem. OK, da da da dah! main course time. Out comes a silver salver(?) complete with lid ( I kid you not) and the guy (Daniel) with much ceremony, lifts the lid...... to reveal a couple of large, pinky, veined sausage shaped "things" - I almost puked at the sight. Daniel proudly announced that he's been boiling them for hours and had made a special mustard sauce to go with it!

Dished up with potatoes and veggies and sat on the plate in front of me, glistening, all I could think of was "pigs a*se, pigs a*se, on my God, pigs a*se!". I cut a morsel off and inserted it into my mouth and immediately (surely a psychological thing?) tasted sh*t! I wretched and then swallowed it, concentrating with all my will for it to go down. After that, I ate all the spuds & beggies and then feigned an upset stomach and made some excuses to leave. When we got back next door, i was violently sick.

Moral: you can eat many things under the influence of alcohol, but in the cold light of day, think again!

Cheers,

Pikey.

I wonder if "Andouilette" is related to "Andouille" The Cajun Andouille that I have had was good, but I've heard in some areas they use pig intestine in the mix.

No I haven't tried it, but I would have to say this is quite strange (and disgusting):

One of the most interesting stops on our trip was at Thung Kwieng Market, found along the highway between Lampang and Chiang Mai. Also known as the jungle market, this market previously had a reputation for selling rare animals/produce from the surrounding forests. Today the sale of endangered wildlife is more or less a thing of the past, but there are still some bizarre things to be found, such as this:

225035136_279702b857.jpg

a nearly fully developed buffalo fetus, known locally as khwaay awn. It is prepared by chopping it up, rubbing it with copious spices (to cover up the horrible smell) and steaming it, as shown below:

225034804_7509910631.jpg

Taken from a blog on thai food:

RealThai

• 2 weeks later...

Pigs Brain, I think the Welsh call it Braun.

Boiled I think, it was white with black spots, in a sandwich, served up by my Welsh Step-Grandmother ( if there is such a thing? ), just reminds me how poor we were back then.

She then follwed it up with a Pigs eye, I fully expected that I would have to eat this too! but she followed it up with the comment, " Don't be shy now, that will see you thru the week :o

And people wonder why I drink :D

Good Luck

Moss