Thai Policeman Acquitted Over Missing Lawyer

webfact

Thai policeman acquitted over missing lawyer

BANGKOK, March 11, 2011 (AFP) - A Thai appeal court on Friday acquitted a police officer accused of involvement in the disappearance of a prominent Muslim human rights lawyer in 2004.

The court said eyewitness accounts were inconclusive and there was no clear evidence to link Police Major Ngern Thongsuk to the disappearance of Somchai Neelaphaijit.

Somchai, the chairman of Thailand's Muslim Lawyers Association, was 53 at the time of his disappearance. He was last seen in Bangkok.

He was well known for representing clients accused of insurgency-related violence in Thailand's deep south, where violence has left more than 4,400 people dead since since early 2004.

In 2006, the Criminal Court convicted Ngern of assaulting Somchai and sentenced him to three years in jail.

Ngern was released on bail and subsequently went missing. His relatives say he was swept away in a landslide and Friday's ruling was made in his absence.

Four other defendants were acquitted in 2006 owing to insufficient evidence -- a decision upheld by the appeal court.

Somchai's wife Angkhana Neelapaichit expressed dismay over Friday's judgment.

"The witnesses were threatened. I was threatened," she told AFP, vowing to take the case to the Supreme Court.

"What do you expect from the witnesses' testimony when they were questioned in front of the police defendants and other police who were listening in the courtroom with them?"

New York-based Human Rights Watch has said it documented a pattern of enforced disappearances and other abuses by Thailand's security forces.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-03-11

I wonder if the policeman will miraculously reappear at some point, so much for Thai justice, or did I just misuse the latter word?

We have to face up to it, he JUST-IS missing. But I had to look at the bit twice------his relatives said he went missing in a LANDSLIDE :violin::crazy:

Just to correct an earlier post that contained an incorrect allusion, Somchai Neelaphaijit was a prominent human rights lawyer and not a terrorist.

This case, its investigation and judicial proceedings are a severe embarrassment for Thailand but also show that international condemnation has no effect on the impunity of the Thai police to carry out enforced disappearances and avoid any consequences.

• Like 1

BANGKOK, March 11, 2011 (AFP) - A Thai appeal court on Friday acquitted a police officer accused of involvement in the disappearance of a prominent Muslim human rights lawyer in 2004.

I know the woman who the article is referring to. She is a strong and determined lady and has the upmost respect in both Muslim and Thai communities.

Following the kidnapping of Somchai Neelaphaijit, she has grown stronger and stronger as an activist. People would refer her as the Thai version of the Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma.

• Like 1

I know the woman who the article is referring to. She is a strong and determined lady and has the upmost respect in both Muslim and Thai communities.

Following the kidnapping of Somchai Neelaphaijit, she has grown stronger and stronger as an activist. People would refer her as the Thai version of the Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma.

You can't know 'her' very well, Somchai was a bloke and he was murdered in 2004. :blink:

You can't know 'her' very well, Somchai was a bloke and he was murdered in 2004. :blink:

He's talking about the lawyer's wife. Read before posting.:blink: :blink: :blink:

Brilliant :cheesy::redcard2:

jb1

Oops :sorry::drunk:

Edited by jimbeam1

I wonder why she has not been "kidnapped" too?

• Like 1

HomePro recently reported the demand for lime and shovels had increased dramatically in Southern Thailand...

I doubt that a Thai policeman would want to mess up his nice tight uniform and patent leather boots by digging a hole. The pig pen is a foolproof method of disposal. This was adopted by the East End of London gangs after somebody who broke their rules was carved up into small pieces and, using a light aircraft, the debris distributed over the Thames estuary. Knacker of the Yard, assisted by PC Plod solved the case and the villains went down for it.

HomePro recently reported the demand for lime and shovels had increased dramatically in Southern Thailand...

I doubt that a Thai policeman would want to mess up his nice tight uniform and patent leather boots by digging a hole. The pig pen is a foolproof method of disposal. This was adopted by the East End of London gangs after somebody who broke their rules was carved up into small pieces and, using a light aircraft, the debris distributed over the Thames estuary. Knacker of the Yard, assisted by PC Plod solved the case and the villains went down for it.

I,m trying to point out the threads that invite anti Thai remarks, This is a typical one---Now we have this post crackdown, I am wanting to respond. BUT.............How can we give our honest opinion.???

• 1 year later...

On the ninth anniversary of the disappearance of her husband, Somchai Neelapaijit, on March 12, 2004, his widow, Angkhana, sent an open letter to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra calling for her to support human rights, justice, and the rule of law.

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) took over the investigation into her husband's case but, to date, there has been no progress.

On the ninth anniversary of the disappearance of her husband, Somchai Neelapaijit, on March 12, 2004, his widow, Angkhana, sent an open letter to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra calling for her to support human rights, justice, and the rule of law.

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) took over the investigation into her husband's case but, to date, there has been no progress.

I feel confident this item is on the PM's list of things to do. This one is qued up right after getting lights installed on her helicopter.

Police are untouchable in this place. It is as if they can conduct themselves with impunity. Even when they get found guilty of murder and sentence to death they get released on bail from death row awaiting the appeals court. Strange ways. blink.png

Ngern was released on bail and subsequently went missing. His relatives say he was swept away in a landslide and Friday's ruling was made in his absence.

That is about as believable as "he was beamed up by Scotty". But I'll give them credit, for thinking outside the box.

I am pretty sure Ngern has been tunneling his way through the dirt and rocks for several years, eating worms and grubs to survive and will surface somewhere near his home...approximately 300km from where the landslide took him.

It will be a miracle.

I am pretty sure Ngern has been tunneling his way through the dirt and rocks for several years, eating worms and grubs to survive and will surface somewhere near his home...approximately 300km from where the landslide took him.

It will be a miracle.

You could be correct. After all this is Miracle Thailand.

Just to correct an earlier post that contained an incorrect allusion, Somchai Neelaphaijit was a prominent human rights lawyer and not a terrorist.

This case, its investigation and judicial proceedings are a severe embarrassment for Thailand but also show that international condemnation has no effect on the impunity of the Thai police to carry out enforced disappearances and avoid any consequences.

One of 30 killings of human rights and environment activists since 2001 in Thailand. As far as I am aware Thai government law enforcement/judiciary has not convicted anyone in relation to these killings and disappearances.This number excludes the extrajudicial killings & use of torture by security agencies in the Deep South; again with no convictions.

Five policemen were arrested in connection with Somchai’s disappearance, but the police force was allowed to investigate its own members. Consequently, the
defendants were only charged with robbery and coercion, not with Somchai’s abduction, disappearance, and apparent murder. One police major was found guilty
of coercion in January 2006 and sentenced to three years, though he was subsequently freed on bail. http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/our-work/human-rights-defenders/thailand/somchai-neelaphaijit/

Thai justice in action