Best Cable/Satellite For American In Bkk

jsgatse

Hello to all.

I've been a member for quite some time, but this is my first post. I apologize if this topic has been discussed before.

I am an American living in BKK. Currently, my house has PSI satellite - it's free to air and has tons of Thai stations, cable access programming junk (such as ads hawking mops and pots/pans with massively overblown audio), and a bunch of channels from India, Cambodia, etc.

I am looking for something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that would allow me to watch some programs in English, such as FoxNews, Discovery Channel, National Geographic, The History Channel, TLC, Nickelodeon for the kids, etc. If I could catch an occasional NFL game, NBA game, etc,. I'd be in heaven. :rolleyes:

Can anyone out there give me some advice? I'd love to hear what provider you use, what you pay, what you get, and if you are happy with it. I also hear that there are some "special" boxes out there available in places like Klong Thom that enable you to just get the "basic" package, yet receive....well, more than the basic package.

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.....!!!!

True is horrible and expensive...but it is the only game in town for Western/American television.

Depending on your package, it will give you the History/Discover/Animal Planet/NatGeo group of channels, cartoons, movies, limited broadcast series, CNN/BBC/Bloomberg, MTV, and a handful of sports channels, including ASN which broadcasts NFL/ NBA, college hoops, UFC, MLB, NHL, etc.

OK, so the past few days guys from True have been installing cable along the telephone/electric poles in my village. They said that by the end of the month, they will be offering cable internet and cable TV here.

All the posts above state that True/UBC is the best/only bet (I tried WETV, but they are not available in my area).

My new question(s) is this....since I will now have the option of True Cable OR True Sattellie, is one better than the other? Is there any reason to pick one instead of the other? Or are they equal?

Thanks for your insights!!!!!

True is horrible and expensive...but it is the only game in town for Western/American television.

Depending on your package, it will give you the History/Discover/Animal Planet/NatGeo group of channels, cartoons, movies, limited broadcast series, CNN/BBC/Bloomberg, MTV, and a handful of sports channels, including ASN which broadcasts NFL/ NBA, college hoops, UFC, MLB, NHL, etc.

NBA coverage is not offered on True Vision. What the OP is requesting is going to cost approximately 2200 baht per month from True Vision Another option is ASTRO which is from Malaysia and offered by http://www.jsat.tv/ a forum sponsor. You can obtain this in Bangkok.

NBA coverage is not offered on True Vision. What the OP is requesting is going to cost approximately 2200 baht per month from True Vision Another option is ASTRO which is from Malaysia and offered by http://www.jsat.tv/ a forum sponsor. You can obtain this in Bangkok.

Thank you!

I went to the JSAT website (as linked above), but I can not seem to find a channel list with corresponding pricing. Would you be so kind as to send a link to this info? Thank you very much in advance.

Guess that shows I don't watch NBA not to have noticed it wasn't on True. I usually watch NFL/UBC and just caught a NCAA basketball game, but never noticed the lack of NBA games.

Guess that shows I don't watch NBA not to have noticed it wasn't on True. I usually watch NFL/UBC and just caught a NCAA basketball game, but never noticed the lack of NBA games.

I'd be cool with NCAA and NFL. Just something every once in a while to "feel like home" :) What channel(s) does this appear on? I see they have Silver/Gold/Plantinum packages and wanted to know what the minimum one I could get would be. Thanks.

I live in Bangkok and have had both satellite and cable service from True Visions. As hard as it is to believe and as hard as it is for me to say, cable TV has turned out to be the best. The reason for this simply there is less down time with the cable service. This can be attributed to the weather in the region. With the small satellite dishes, medium to heavy rain will interrupt the service during the rainy season. The cable service here has been interrupted for less than five minutes in the past three years.

For American TV content you will get more offerings with the Platinum Package from True Visions. This by no means gives you even 25% of all that is available in the US. However, you do get some of the most popular shows with a delay of six months to three years. I have resorted to peer to peer sharing of current television programming for most of the US television content. That is a whole other subject which has been widely covered on Thai Visa and the Internet.

Good luck.

I'd be cool with NCAA and NFL. Just something every once in a while to "feel like home" :) What channel(s) does this appear on? I see they have Silver/Gold/Plantinum packages and wanted to know what the minimum one I could get would be. Thanks.

NFL and NCAA can be found on True Visions on the ASN channel which is only available with the Platinum Package. This channel is a must have for anyone who wants to watch American sports.

The only cable network that I know of carrying FOX news is Happy Home Cable TV (HTV) check out their website. They carrry lots of nice channels like CI tons of movie & music channels. You'll need TRUE for NFL. btw HBO is not censored in any way. None of the premium move channels are.

I guess between DSTV or cable - then cable is better. Less likely to drop out during thunderstorms & additionally you can get cable internet (very high speed with cost to match) ADSL is good enough for me. In my condo I had no option. I was forced to take DSAT.

JSAT is another good option buy it's a big dish I believe.

The only cable network that I know of carrying FOX news is Happy Home Cable TV (HTV) check out their website. They carrry lots of nice channels like CI tons of movie & music channels. You'll need TRUE for NFL. btw HBO is not censored in any way. None of the premium move channels are.

I just called "Happy Home Cable TV" and, unfortunately, they don't service my area. They don't have a ton of the channels I was hoping for, but their website said 2,000 THB for a year - you can't beat that. Too bad.....

It's looking more and more like True is my only option.

Does anyone know if those "magic boxes" will work with Satellite, or will they work with cable only?

Thanks

You mean "majic jack" the low cost calling service? That runs on your home network. Internet.

Sorry for not being clearer.....I meant those cable boxes sold in Klong Tom/elsehwere that enables you to pay for the basic package, but the box somehow decodes the signal and gives you "extra" channels.

NBA is offered on ASTRO. Go figure.

• 6 months later...

I was told WETV is opening in Bangkok.

They are a Chiang Mai company so give them a call

They are much cheaper than UBC and much better !!!

http://www.wetv.co.th/en_index.php

Now some months later, I see no sign from their web site that they're as yet doing anything outside of CM... Anyone have any better info???

http://www.wetv.co.th/en_area.php

And BTW, ASN used to be available on two True cable packages... Silver and Platinum, not Gold, somewhat inexplicably...

But as of the beginning of Oct. 2011...True has dropped ASN from their channel lineup entirely.... So forget NFL, UFC, NCAA football, etc from True... at any price...any package...

At least for now, they won't have any of it.

ASN instead has gone with a startup satellite TV provider in Bangkok called 1-Sky from GMM Grammy.... obviously they require a satellite dish... Cable folks out of luck.

Unfortunately, the rest of GMM's channel lineup is pretty much sh.....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

You're saying premium channels on TRUE are not censored ? The premium movie channels on TRUE are indeed censored hence the blurring out of nudity/pointing guns at peoples heads/cigarettes/alcohol PLUS there's commercials on the premium channels on TRUE(some are beer commercials HERP DERP)! You're watching a good movie then all of a sudden some crap about "AH CAD DEMY FAN TAZ IA"(Academy Fantasia) with some coked out chick judge crying about some guy. If you were talking about HTV's premium channels being uncensored I might check it out. Sorry about the little rant.

There are a couple of local companies providing Astro. having every channel will be 1500b for for 6 months plus install.

Much better than True. Better everything.

BKKCableTV is one of the companies that does it. You can look them up easy enough

Jsat is a lot more expensive but you probably get what you pay for in decent service which you wont get form one of the local co's. They also do SkyIndo which could be good for you too.......